Your first Blades FA Cup tie you went to & your most memorable one

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1972-73. Watford 0 Sheffield United 1
Jan 1973. Third round.

Since my first Blades game in 1964 I have dreamed of getting to and winning the FA Cup final. Would have loved the 1971 - 1975 team to have done it.

....so the most memorable matches for me are the four semi finals in 1993, 1998, 2003 and 2014. So close and in with a chance on the day.

Let’s be in that 4th round draw on Monday.

First one? Villa at home mid 90's. Savo Milosevic dive for the pen that won it for them.

Most memorable? A tie. Either Villa away the other year, with Ryan Flynn's finest moment in a blades shirt, or Fulham away the same season, when the 120th minute winner sparked scenes in the away end that I'll never forget.

1st I can remember:

Highbury 1959.Arsenal away February.

Followed by Norwich at home 6th round same year.(57000 crowd)

Last edited:
That's mine too mate. Most memorable was 2 or 3 attempts to go to the replay at Barnsley for the right to play Manure I think. Fog or snow was reason for first postponement. High winds second time.i think.. bad memory for the most memorable lol
That was mine didn't get out of oakwell CSR park till about 11 pm

Newcastle United away 1960/61 most memorable with my DAD bless him no longer with us and a wonderful Blade we won 3-0 we were three nil up at HT Billy Russell hat trick we played in tangerine shirts white shorts. I was only young and it was unforgettable

My first FA Cup match was away at Peterborough FA Cup 4th round in January 1962.
Brilliant all day out. Thurcroft to Peterborough on a supporters coach.
After the match all the dad's dumped the kids in the local cinema while they went on a massive pub crawl until 11pm.
Got home in the early hours. Great memories.
My dad took my uncle to the match and after the match my dad was talking to Peterborough's manager Jimmy Hagan!

Probably my most memorable F.A Cup tie.

An experience never to be repeated and probably only surpassed if we win the bloody thing.

No idea what my first F.A Cup tie was.

Think it was the I’ll fated 78/79 season that Maidenhead think we lost 1-0 to Aldershot in repl
Probably my most memorable F.A Cup tie.

An experience never to be repeated and probably only surpassed if we win the bloody thing.

No idea what my first F.A Cup tie was.

Think that was our I’ll fated 78/79 season when we’d signed Sabella and load of host of other ‘stars’ . I was at the home game drew at home 0-0 with Aldershot and lost down there in the replay .. again another rare Room 101 FA cup moment for us

Meant to add the complete opposite to the League Cup memory of ourvictory that same season over Liverpool courtesy of Gary Hamson , when the top sides played there first teams in all 3 domestic trophies

Think it was the I’ll fated 78/79 season that Maidenhead think we lost 1-0 to Aldershot in repl

Think that was our I’ll fated 78/79 season when we’d signed Sabella and load of host of other ‘stars’ . I was at the home game drew at home 0-0 with Aldershot and lost down there in the replay .. again another rare Room 101 FA cup moment for us
Absolutely right.

We lost the replay 1-0 but fortunately I didn't get to that one 🤣

On the kop for both the 5th round 1962 beat Norwich 3 - 1 then lost 0 - 1 to Burnley in round 6.
The day after the Sheffield Hurricane. One of our floodlight pylons crashed onto the football pitch but the wreckage was cleared up in time for the match. Nowadays H & S wouldnt have allowed the match to go ahead.

1578167236672.png

Can’t remember my first one. But Wrexham away was a cracker in the 80’s. Think we scored 5? Edwards hat trick? (Memory could be playing tricks here!). Semi at Wembley v Hull was one of the best, even though we lost.

im not sure if its the 1st one. but sheff utd v Ipswich 5-3 when ndlovu got a hat trick in either 01/02 or 02/03. might be that was a cracking game

memorable weirdly have a few that mention arsenal. like the 5th rd game at highbury. when that last min penalty in i remember being few rows from front behind the goal & in jubilation hugging this man to side of me. never seen him before or since. i hope hes well

but the most memorable was arsenal fa cup 2003. mainly not for the result but it was the 1st game id ever gone to that wasnt at the lane & as a 12yr old going on a adventure with your dad to massive stadium. loved that day

Mansfield away in 88

Fighting in the stand before kick-off, Webster’s broken leg and a late equaliser in the land that time forgot.
That was a real sickener. I can still picture Webbo lying and the floor and lifting his leg up, only to see half of it still still on the grass.

Not at all sure which was my first FA cup game but I do remember the replay at the lane against Fulham probably 1967 for some reason we went on the John st terrace which was packed solid United won 3-1 and Bill Punton had a stormer of a game. When we got out of the ground I found the buttons had been ripped off my jacket in the crush and I was shitting myself at the thought of explaining this to my mum.

One of the most memorable was an away trip to Carlisle the game was shit and we were knocked out to lower league opposition as we usually went out in the 3rd round in the early 70's. What made it special for me was the train journey, a huge football special which went over the Settle - Carlisle route hauled by a poor old Peak class 45 diesel which really did struggle to the summit at Ais Gill at what felt like walking pace. Rail buffs would pay a shit load of money to experience that today.

Not at all sure which was my first FA cup game but I do remember the replay at the lane against Fulham probably 1967 for some reason we went on the John st terrace which was packed solid United won 3-1 and Bill Punton had a stormer of a game. When we got out of the ground I found the buttons had been ripped off my jacket in the crush and I was shitting myself at the thought of explaining this to my mum.

One of the most memorable was an away trip to Carlisle the game was shit and we were knocked out to lower league opposition as we usually went out in the 3rd round in the early 70's. What made it special for me was the train journey, a huge football special which went over the Settle - Carlisle route hauled by a poor old Peak class 45 diesel which really did struggle to the summit at Ais Gill at what felt like walking pace. Rail buffs would pay a shit load of money to experience that today.
Bill Punton scored 2 in the replay against Fulham. We wore all white and Fulham wore all red.

I was in that football special train for the Carlisle cup game in February 1973. Walked to ground from the rail station and had to walk across a big field too!

Going back to my earlier post , the West Ham match in '52 was the first time I saw black armbands worn by the players and a minutes silence to be observed before kick off .

For many years thereafter these gestures were rare and reserved for very special tragedies , unlike nowadays when they seem to be used for anything from the death of the tea lady's cat to the remembrance of former players who never got to own a Lamborghini .

FFS .

3rd round v Everton 1970. We 2nd division, Everton 1st division and went on to be league champions. We won 2-1, great game, my only time standing on John St terrace and on Yorkshire tv. Also went to 4th round game at Derby, my first away game. Lost 3-0.
My first cup game too. My dislike of Derby County began on the day of the fourth round. Didn’t see them reach round five until that 3-2 loss at Norwich but there have been some good memories since.
I think Everton were reigning champions at the time so it was a massive win.
Bert at both games. Derby trounced us and it was a very rough do on the side terrace under the stand.

42:20...

I was at the first game at Craven Cottage and remember a couple of famous names that scored in the 1-1 draw Mick Jones a superb volley and they scored through Alan Sniffer Clarke, they also had a player called Johnny Haynes on the day. It was a fiercely fought game but we dominated the replay back at the Lane

Bert at both games. Derby trounced us and it was a very rough do on the side terrace under the stand.
I was at these games. The Derby game was played on my 14th birthday and it was my first away game apart from the sty.
You're right about the aggro there was a lot of trouble at that game.

Back
Top Bottom