Your favourite 70's Blades moments

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barney

Reaction score
For those old enough to have watched the blades during the 70's, I'd be interested to read your personal favourite memories and why?

1973,late morning one Thursday or Friday me and my mate went to the lane to gather some autographs. We went to home games and some aways, mad Blades fans 14 or 15 year olds. This particular day was just after Len Badger's testimonial game. Len was one of the first to appear
on John st, arms full of gifts and a signed football from his big night. No matter. we pounced, sign us this please Len. Everything he was carrying
went up in't air and landed on' t floor. " Certainly lads", said the great man and we picked his stuff up while he signed our books.
Among this lot was two tickets for the lane. " You coming to the match satdeh lads ? Have them tickets".
Terrific. We carried on getting names from many of that team including Mr Harris.
Then we came up against Eddie Colquhoun.
"Why are you two boys NOT in school " ?
Still gave us his autograph. The book went missing a couple of years later when we moved house. Didn't keep that ticket either. Ah well !

So many ...... but the 1970's memories start on January 3rd 1970 and our third round FA Cup win over Everton.

Our promotion in 1971
The unbelievable start to the next season with free flowing football and the press giving us so much attention.
Beating Arsenal 5-0 and TC sitting on the ball in 1973.
TC's goal against Liverpool
His quality goal against West Ham
7-0 against Ipswich
Being so close to Europe in 1975.
Going to the Lane and not being in fear of any team.
You Can Do Magic, Rose Garden
Going to far more away matches than I do nowadays.

Unfortunately the 'fond' memories really dried up at the end of the 1975 season.

So many ...... but the 1970's memories start on January 3rd 1970 and our third round FA Cup win over Everton.
Aged 14, on the train (first time) with lads from School, in the ground just after 1pm :)

Everton_Front.JPG

Everton_Back.JPG

For those old enough to have watched the blades during the 70's, I'd be interested to read your personal favourite memories and why?
1-1 vs Leeds (the 'great' dirty leeds side).. they scored after about 5 minutes and timewasted for 85 and we scored about 5 mins into stoppage time (cammack 25 yarder).. felt like a win

Aged 14, on the train (first time) with lads from School, in the ground just after 1pm :)

Everton_Front.JPG

Everton_Back.JPG

As a matter of interest, was that printed team sheet handed out separately to the match programme?
Why is the number 12 shirt blank? If they knew what the team was, why didn't they know who the sub was?

As a matter of interest, was that printed team sheet handed out separately to the match programme?
Why is the number 12 shirt blank? If they knew what the team was, why didn't they know who the sub was?
In my recollection No 12 was usually left blank in the 70s and 80s. Although I guess if they'd put 'Gary Brazil' in the 80s they'd have been right more often than not.

In them days, when men were men, John Harris selected the Team in September for the whole of the Season :)

It made the Printers life easy, same team every game ... not a separate sheet

Tudor was our unused sub. For Everton Sandy Brown came on for Tommy Wright at half time. Keith Newton was switched to right back so Brown could play in his favoured LB position

1979.....may 24th, a new BLADE was born, and now I'm 38 and still RED n WHITE!!

It wasn’t the team sheet. It’s the back of the programme
:)

My first game was 1977 so I missed out on so much, including the great TC but my 70s highlight was beating the European champions Liverpool at the Lane 1-0. Wasn’t exactly a classic game but the atmosphere was electric and the game poised on a knife edge. I still can’t believe we actually won it.

It wasn’t the team sheet. It’s the back of the programme
:)

How did they know what the team was going to be when the programme was printed? Especially the opposition!?
Presumably guesswork based on the previous match and therefore usually not accurate?
And why not have a guess at the sub if they're going to guess the rest of the team?
Those crazy 70's dudes!

How did they know what the team was going to be when the programme was printed? Especially the opposition!?
Presumably guesswork based on the previous match and therefore usually not accurate?
And why not have a guess at the sub if they're going to guess the rest of the team?
Those crazy 70's dudes!
It was the norm for decades to predict the first 11 in the match programme! Squads weren’t very big in those days and teams generally picked themselves. Non of this squad rotation and “too many games, we need a rest” bollocks. Football was played by real men in mud baths!

It was the norm for decades to predict the first 11 in the match programme! Squads weren’t very big in those days and teams generally picked themselves. Non of this squad rotation and “too many games, we need a rest” bollocks. Football was played by real men in mud baths!
Can’t remember the opposition, but my mates and I had been discussing the recent Trevor Hockey transfer and if he would fit in - after his first tackle in which most of our end of the terrace were in danger, we came to the conclusion that he would do.

1-1 vs Leeds (the 'great' dirty leeds side).. they scored after about 5 minutes and timewasted for 85 and we scored about 5 mins into stoppage time (cammack 25 yarder).. felt like a win

Ah yes. For younger viewers, the 'great' Revie Leeds team were successful but achieved it all by being fucking cheats. The 'Australian cricket team' of their day:

1979.....may 24th, a new BLADE was born, and now I'm 38 and still RED n WHITE!!

That was about the same time as the Leicester 2-2 game wasn't it?

For me - the 70s.Just being at BDTBL. 'On Ilkley Moor 'Baht 'At', white railings, the smell of rolling tobacco, those iconic floodlights, TC and AW, the pitch, the dark Shoreham Kop.

I fucking loved it and it is why I am still a one club person to this day.

Born in Sheffield, made in the Royal Navy. Etc.

pommpey

Enjoyed the cardiff 5-1, watford, ipswich 7-0 but the best atmosphere was when we played manure in front of 45 k at BDTBL George Best and all, think it was 1-1, the atmosphere was electric and we were so rammed in on the kop I could hardly breathe.

Those crazy 70's dudes!
There were many changes to the Cardiff team on the programme in the night we thrashed them 5-1. Not sure what was their line up when they won 2-1 at Norwich a few days earlier

27041971 programme.jpg

Season 1970/71. Pigs had just come down and told us they would go straight back up. Blades 3 Pigs 2 at the Lane. They then kicked us all over the park in the return and got away with a 0-0 draw. They finished 15th with a minus 18 goal difference we got automatic promotion in 2nd with the best goal difference in the league plus 34. All those Pigs who'd crawled out of the woodwork from '66 onwards suddenly disappeared and went into hiding for the next 10 years.

Of course at the beginning of next season in the Top Rank on a Tuesday night with the mates trying to pull and getting told by the DJ the Blades had won 0-1 at Arsenal to go top of Division 1 wasn't a bad feeling either.

My first game was 1977 so I missed out on so much, including the great TC but my 70s highlight was beating the European champions Liverpool at the Lane 1-0. Wasn’t exactly a classic game but the atmosphere was electric and the game poised on a knife edge. I still can’t believe we actually won it.
It certainly was. A sell out I believe and a Gary Hamson screamer of a goal.

Back
Top Bottom