Youngsters out on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It will be worth keeping an eye on happenings at Plymouth.

Swansea just recalled a striker called Whittaker and there are a few breadcrumbs leading to him being bought by Ipswich.

Obviously this is well received on Porktalk where Plymouth are now referred to as ‘Title Rivals’. I know that term isn’t wildly incorrect but they are second for one game and now it’s the title they are on for. Such a set of pricks. Ironically it could have the opposite effect and push Ipswich on.

Anyway, if we want a striker to continue their growth then the option might be there to send to a team who are going well and winning a lot. Maybe you could send Jebbo there, where a team at the top would give him starts and be a step up from Burton. We keep Osula for the second part of the season and bring in a more established name in lieu of Khadra.

Then again Wycombe has just left FGR after scoring 6 goals in around 15 games. Maybe Plymouth goes for him.

Interesting to see how this all develops anyway.

The Gordon loan is getting ridiculous now. Can't get a start in non league. We seem to be dropping the ball with some of these loans. Brunt as well seems to be now more of a bench player. Remember when he was the next big thing and has now had two loan moves as a sub? Not sure how some of these deals are progressing players.

The Gordon loan is getting ridiculous now. Can't get a start in non league. We seem to be dropping the ball with some of these loans. Brunt as well seems to be now more of a bench player. Remember when he was the next big thing and has now had two loan moves as a sub? Not sure how some of these deals are progressing players.
Neither Brunt nor Gordon will make it with United I don’t think. Sure Gordon will have a league career but I don’t see it at Champ level. ( and yes, I look forward to someone digging this up in a few years when he’s playing for England)

Think it's more a case of some insane views on here when some posters were saying majority of that side would break into our 1st team. Gordon and Serrki looked light years away to me. Brunt is not ripping the conference up. It's a huge step up from that level to any in the men's game.

Think it's more a case of some insane views on here when some posters were saying majority of that side would break into our 1st team. Gordon and Serrki looked light years away to me. Brunt is not ripping the conference up. It's a huge step up from that level to any in the men's game.

Broadly agree, but I'd nitpick and say I don't think there's a big gap between the Conference and League 2. The promoted sides tend to do well the following year.

I think the disappointment is that you hope when you send youth players to either the league or the conference, they can get some football, experience, and improve - either for a loan further up the pyramid the following year, or to sell on.

Question is of the c 15 players we've had out on loan this season, how many would you expect to go to a higher level next year? Potentially Osula (but who knows), maybe Boyes (although higher League 1 club probably more realistic).

We haven’t dropped any balls. Most of them won’t make it with us, anyone with even a passing knowledge of youth development knows that. The loan process sorts the wheat from the chaff. If a player can’t get into a non league side, then it’s unlikely they’re going to be good enough to play at championship level. You look at the players that have, either for us or in other teams, like Slater, who forced his way into the first team during his loans, or Whitehead, who smashed it at Mansfield; that’s what you have to do. Even Seriki has managed to get back into Rochdale’s first team. We’d all like to see a first team comprising 11 former academy players but that’s never going to happen.

Tin hat time, but I’ve not really seen that much in Gordon that suggests he will be a success.

At that age you’d like them to be outstanding in at least one area.

Take Maguire, not only was he a very big lad, he was also well above average in the passing stakes too.

I don’t see Gordon as especially big. His passing isn’t anything more than average and though he’s no slouch at running, his pace isn’t blistering or something that regularly gets remarked upon.

Maybe he just won’t make it with us?

Broadly agree, but I'd nitpick and say I don't think there's a big gap between the Conference and League 2. The promoted sides tend to do well the following year.

I think that's mainly a factor the bottleneck to get out of the Conference. If it was three up/down rather than two, it'd eliminate the dross in L2 quicker. As is, you could easily have Wrexham stay down for a second year in a row if they're pipped by Notts County then fuck up the playoffs again despite being one of the best two sides in the league by a country mile. When it was one up/down it was even worse, you had teams that had a five year window where they'd have pissed all over L2 but as they weren't the best Conference team in any specific year, they're fucked.

You get the exact same thing further down the pyramid but that's kind of a necessity given parallel leagues in increasing numbers as you go down

We haven’t dropped any balls. Most of them won’t make it with us, anyone with even a passing knowledge of youth development knows that. The loan process sorts the wheat from the chaff. If a player can’t get into a non league side, then it’s unlikely they’re going to be good enough to play at championship level. You look at the players that have, either for us or in other teams, like Slater, who forced his way into the first team during his loans, or Whitehead, who smashed it at Mansfield; that’s what you have to do. Even Seriki has managed to get back into Rochdale’s first team. We’d all like to see a first team comprising 11 former academy players but that’s never going to happen.

Yep I think it is just a crop of youngsters that will eventually get released. Not many footballers make it at the top level.

Eastwood though should have been binned off years ago. Amissah is still only 21 and he has nearly made half the first team football appearances a 26 year old Eastwood has made.

Whoever signed off on giving Eastwood these contract renewals needs their head testing.

How's Peck getting on at Oldham?? Always thought he'd be one to make it into our midfield.

I'm kind of questioning the destinations for some of these players. I take your point and it's noticeable that Boradbent seems to have finally grasped the mantel now he's dropped down. Some of the club placement seems to be questionable.

How's Peck getting on at Oldham?? Always thought he'd be one to make it into our midfield.
Having a look at their forum..

"Peck looked out of his depth with and without the ball"

"Chapman and Peck are average at best"

"Desperately need a RB, a RW (looks like Colclough isn’t happening), a DM and a CM because Peck has regressed and I don’t see what Peck or Chapman are adding."

"What is Peck bringing to the side? "

"Desperately need a RB, a RW (looks like Colclough isn’t happening), a DM and a CM because Peck has regressed and I don’t see what Peck or Chapman are adding."

Oh dear.

For some, going out on loan isn't the best option - I remember either Lester or Geary talking about this previously. Perhaps Peck is one of those?

Then again, I do think the academy does tend to stretch players as to where they go, and I imagine this is intentional either so a) the players step up, or b) the players get a tough experience, and can grow from it.

It sounds daft, but players having bad experiences out on loan may be a good thing. A lot will have only experienced being the star player, throughout their lives and those that have been in academies from a young age, perhaps not too many setbacks either. It'll be a good grounding experiencing for many to have a poor loan spell.

I'm kind of questioning the destinations for some of these players. I take your point and it's noticeable that Boradbent seems to have finally grasped the mantel now he's dropped down. Some of the club placement seems to be questionable.
We can only loan to clubs that want the players and have space on their team for them. Like all transfers, not all loans work out. If Broadbent got into the Boreham Wood side, there’s no reason Brunt and Gordon can’t, it’s them, not the club. It may have been that Gordon was covering an injured player who’s now returned or it may be that he’s just no better than what they’ve got. If he’s not going to play, there’s always a possibility he’ll go somewhere else. If you accept that most players aren’t going to make it, why look to lay blame when they don’t?

It sounds daft, but players having bad experiences out on loan may be a good thing. A lot will have only experienced being the star player, throughout their lives and those that have been in academies from a young age, perhaps not too many setbacks either. It'll be a good grounding experiencing for many to have a poor loan spell.
Every player who’s still in the game at 25 will have suffered some kind of adversity and set backs. Part of being a professional footballer is being mentally strong enough to deal with it. As you say, for many it’s the final hurdle, everything so far has been success and progression, now let’s see what happens when you get a kick in the bollocks.

It will be worth keeping an eye on happenings at Plymouth.

Swansea just recalled a striker called Whittaker and there are a few breadcrumbs leading to him being bought by Ipswich.

Obviously this is well received on Porktalk where Plymouth are now referred to as ‘Title Rivals’. I know that term isn’t wildly incorrect but they are second for one game and now it’s the title they are on for. Such a set of pricks. Ironically it could have the opposite effect and push Ipswich on.

Anyway, if we want a striker to continue their growth then the option might be there to send to a team who are going well and winning a lot. Maybe you could send Jebbo there, where a team at the top would give him starts and be a step up from Burton. We keep Osula for the second part of the season and bring in a more established name in lieu of Khadra.

Then again Wycombe has just left FGR after scoring 6 goals in around 15 games. Maybe Plymouth goes for him.

Interesting to see how this all develops anyway.

To be fair, scores of our fans think we're as good as promoted already - sticking a 90% likelihood on it.
In January.

Still have very high hopes for Peck. He's the best player I've seen in the academy, at least on a technical level, for quite some time.

Posted earlier on this thread that I don't think Oldham are a good fit for his skillset but the move will improve his defensive side. Much like we are doing with McAtee.

That, and Oldham are absolute muck.

To be fair our fans were saying similar about Ramsdale until he got in the England squad, RND was NGE last season, City had our pants down with McAtee, Norwood was useless and many couldn't wait to get rid of Oli McB.

This is a very good move for him. Thought he may have to drop to L2. Be interesting to see if he makes a mark there.
I thought he had been playing well but in a team that has been struggling.

Looks a decent move, especially as the manager know him.

High hopes for Harry. Hopefully he can continue to develop well.

Intriguingly though, does this mean we have no players out on loan in League 1? Pre season I wondered if there were 4/5 ready to be at that level (albeit one being Lopata who had other ideas).

High hopes for Harry. Hopefully he can continue to develop well.

Intriguingly though, does this mean we have no players out on loan in League 1? Pre season I wondered if there were 4/5 ready to be at that level (albeit one being Lopata who had other ideas).
Harry has stayed in League One.

Back
Top Bottom