Will we give it a go ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No the players will just lay on their backs and lose week in week out from the first game.

Look at AFC Bournemouth, very little spent, squad looks crap on paper, finished closer to the top half than the bottom 3.
How Bournemouth survive on gates of 10,000 in the prem is a tough one to take.

Whatever players are here will give it a go.

Given the rumoured budget Heckys gonna have to pull of some v.shrewd signings.

Best signing we could make this summer would be to get ili a new contract though.

I want to avoid sounding like a slasher... but i think we might be aiming at rebuild and relegation... then looking to yo-yo up again next time.

The context of this promotion feels so different this time, our owner has been burnt once before and wants to sell up, it feels like we're prioritising securing the future of the club, rather than spending 40m on a few (relative) big names and staying up

It's not great for us fans this season, but if it means longevity and aiming at becoming a yo-yo club while not going bust, it's probably worth it
I agree, but that doesn’t mean that the club and in particular the players will not “give it a go”.
Restructuring is essential but does not preclude staying up.

As long as the takeover issue is still up in the air then we have little indication of what the budget will be for transfers and wages. This already puts us at a disadvantage, because we will certainly need significant additions to the squad if we are to stand any chance of being competitive.
I have every confidence in the team's mentality, but pluckiness and spirit only gets you so far.

Secondly, and I'm reluctant to say this because I love what he's done in his time as manager, but I don't see much evidence that Heckingbottom will be able to adapt and innovate tactically when required, and make no mistake, it WILL be required over the course of the season.

I'm not sure if I live in a bubble but I really hope that the £20m budget is a wind up, yes I'd like us to be prudent but £20m ?? at least give it a go Blades. You look at Leicester yes they have been poor but they are going down and would in my opinion smash us every day and twice on a Sunday. Worried this will be 38 very painful games next season. Really hope I'm wrong ..UTB

The £20m is quoted by Nixon..

I'm not sure if I live in a bubble but I really hope that the £20m budget is a wind up, yes I'd like us to be prudent but £20m ?? at least give it a go Blades. You look at Leicester yes they have been poor but they are going down and would in my opinion smash us every day and twice on a Sunday. Worried this will be 38 very painful games next season. Really hope I'm wrong ..UTB

Almost like for like the comments the guys i referred to in the OP made.

Every team in the Premiership right now is better than us. I wouldn’t fancy ours chances against any of them especially away.

I do however believe we’ll be smart in the market like we were this season, Hecky has a persuasive way of convincing players to join us. We need to use the free & loan market to our benefit

Every team in the Premiership right now is better than us. I wouldn’t fancy ours chances against any of them especially away.

I do however believe we’ll be smart in the market like we were this season, Hecky has a persuasive way of convincing players to join us. We need to use the free & loan market to our benefit

On paper you'd probably be correct, but teams made up of good players can always be shit. It's how they get relegated! Based on the bottom 7 or so who've all looked like being in trouble at some stage of the season, I think we'd give any of those a good game and come away with some results.

Strength in depth of quality is most important.

If a couple of key players, (for example, Ndiaye and Egan), were out injured for half a season or more, then could we cope with that in the Premier League I wonder.

With a small budget to work with, some astute, very good value for money signings required.

. Unless we get taken over, no.

Serious investment is needed both on and off the field, which will not be forthcoming.

We currently do not possess sufficient goalscoring/goal creating threat, general quality or squad depth to be remotely competitive over a 38 game season in the PL.

When I say ‘competitive’ I mean capable of winning games, and staying in games for the full 90. What will happen will be similar to matches in 20/21 and also v. Man City recently, we’ll defend and stay solid for 60 mins and then tire and get picked off. This will happen week in, week out, with a few tonkings thrown in. It eventually saps you mentally and physically.

If HRH remains in charge, then I suspect our transfer/recruitment business in the summer will be flabbergasting/frustrating to the majority of United fans.

And posters are name checking Bournemouth as a comparison, it’s worth noting that they’ve spent over £80m in the last 12 months.

Just checked my spreadsheets, in 20/21, we were largely competitive in games up to the hour mark & then tiredness took over.

30 of the 63 goals we conceded were on or after the 60th minute.

We also conceded 8 goals before the 15th minute, so we weren't switching on.

All three promoted teams have stayed up this season. Bournemouth didn’t look even remotely spectacular when they finished 2nd.

Loads of ordinary/shit teams we could finish above next season - Leeds/Everton, Cov/Luton, West Ham (who’ll lose Declan Rice), Palace, Forest, Bournemouth and Wolves.

No reason we can’t finish above Burnley either, we’re likely to sign more players than them and we’d have been much closer than the 10 points if it wasn’t for the ludicrous injuries in the first half of the season. I expect them to stay up, but destroying the championship doesn’t automatically mean you’ll cruise it in the Prem as Norwich have proven twice.
West Ham will be nowhere near the bottom 6 next season with or without Rice

If we can score close to 40 goals we have a chance... unlike the 20 we scored in the relegation season.

Hi Stegosaurus here

I don't think we can count on McBurnie, Brewster or Sharp for that.

Priority has got to be a striker. But since the prince is potless, it's doubtful we can get in anyone good enough

We have one advantage over the relegation from the Premier last time … we have

THE FANS
Not again ffs we’d have been in the same place without Covid the team had peaked early January and tbh that win at Palace we ( and they ) looked a bottom six side even though it put us fifth

Strength in depth of quality is most important.

If a couple of key players, (for example, Ndiaye and Egan), were out injured for half a season or more, then could we cope with that in the Premier League I wonder.

With a small budget to work with, some astute, very good value for money signings required.
This

Some people are portraying Ndiaye as the messiah but he can easily pick up and injury and then what have we got?

We were worried about that this season.

I want to avoid sounding like a slasher... but i think we might be aiming at rebuild and relegation... then looking to yo-yo up again next time.

The context of this promotion feels so different this time, our owner has been burnt once before and wants to sell up, it feels like we're prioritising securing the future of the club, rather than spending 40m on a few (relative) big names and staying up

It's not great for us fans this season, but if it means longevity and aiming at becoming a yo-yo club while not going bust, it's probably worth it
Not quite as easy as that though mate is it, I've still got bad memories about the second season prem disaster. For that to happen again is demoralising not only to the players it's the fans as well and there's no guarantees about the manager staying and eventually the best players leave! It seems we're caught between a rock & a n hard stone sadly. We would be fucked if we stayed down and it's looking like playing wise we're fucked in the prem!! The only answer is a takeover or investment and at the minute I've got more chance of winning the fucking lottery!!😞

If we bring in Doyle (10-15m) Manning (free) Macca (loan) another loanee in midfield, someone like OBrien from Forest and the rest of the budget on a striker we've got a chance.

However we may need either Osula or Jebbo to take a massive step forward and really contribute to the goal tally as unless we sign a good striker, apart from Ndiaye, its not obvious where tje goals are coming from.

We have to be realistic and think there are probably around 13-18 games that we can take points from it's how many points we accumulate in those that will define our season, last time there was only 9 games we didn't lose and we actually won 7 of those if we can have a win percentage like that from the games we don't lose we should be ok

I think we will go down but as long as we go down with a new stable owner then it's not a disaster. Next season will be rough. I think the best way to see it is 38 cup games. Just hope you can upset the odds on 8 or 9 of them and draw a few more.

Essentially though next season is simply about competing the best we can, not embarrassing ourselves and selling the club. The legacy of this promotion has to be that it meant the club ended up in good hands.

In terms of the budget, I think it would be crazy to do anything like we did last time. The current owner can't afford to run a Championship club and until he leaves we are better off hoping bargains and loans can give us enough. It's highly unlikely they will be enough but spending £20-80m on players on long contracts will make the club less attractive to buyers as it puts the club in more debt. This season is much more about off the pitch than on it.

At a guess I don’t think he’s far off 20-30m I reckon.

There's little doubt we're coming down next season, what we put in place to get back up is important.
A limited budget would be best spent on potential and younger players either in the UK or abroad so have a decent chance at getting back up with a stronger base.

I refuse to accept that this squad will get relegated next season, before a ball has been kicked.

Keep in mind we still have a few useful players who will make the bench next season, provided contracts are sorted quickly.
We have learned our lesson from players like Burke, Mouset and Freeman. Who really knew Ndiaye would turn into such a sensation? How did we pull off a buy like Ahmedhodzic?
Loan players like Doyle and McAtee arrived with not much more than promise and potential! Thank the PH management team for their fulfilled promise, potential and progress.

I expect one, or possibly two players like Ahmedhodzic to arrive next season, (20m player budget gone already) along with a group of loan players who have been vetted for attitude as well as promise and potential.

I don’t think we will be a top 10 side, but I don’t think we deserve to be relegation favourites either. Hecky and his staff have put the team where they are, and deservedly so, with all the off field nonsense they dealt with this last season.

I don’t expect a change of ownership anytime soon, and it might not be billionaire we all hope for anyway. We have done well with what we’ve got, despite all the problems like form, injuries and discipline.

Looking forward to a more benign VAR next season!

On paper you'd probably be correct, but teams made up of good players can always be shit. It's how they get relegated! Based on the bottom 7 or so who've all looked like being in trouble at some stage of the season, I think we'd give any of those a good game and come away with some results.
Need to hit the ground running like we did last time. 12 points for first 10 games sets you up well

To put it into perspective the season we were relegated we had 1 point from 10 games the first season we had 13

Loads of optimism in the last few posts, that’s what we like to see 😁 (that was before Charlie’s and Millhouses posts) Only thing I can give you is that I’m 56 and gone through some good times and some bad ones with the Blades but this group do seem to be different to the Blades of the old. I’ve watched quite a bit of the prem this season and there are definitely some brilliant teams in there, but there’s also some that aren’t anything better than we are, I think we‘ll be down there but ok, they’ll be worse than us next season

Back
Top Bottom