Wilder’s mental health

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Putting football to one side for a moment, I hope that Chris is ok. He’s not looked or sounded himself recently and, if there is any truth in the rumours that he resigned but is reconsidering, it would fit with somebody who is struggling at the moment. Let’s hope that’s not the case (that he’s struggling) and/or that he gets any support that he needs.
great post fella

I said after Palace away (there were rumours he’d gone then) that he looked like a man that needed a pint with his mates.

The pub benefits shouldn’t be underestimated as for many blokes it’s the chance to unwind, talk, let off steam and just be away from pressures - whether that’s home or work

Chris Wilder is no different. He’ll have his coping mechanisms and ways that he deals with things.

We don’t know what going on at our club but as you say, I hope that mental health is being considered for all employees at the club

Putting football to one side for a moment, I hope that Chris is ok. He’s not looked or sounded himself recently and, if there is any truth in the rumours that he resigned but is reconsidering, it would fit with somebody who is struggling at the moment. Let’s hope that’s not the case (that he’s struggling) and/or that he gets any support that he needs.

I agree with all this, I have said before he probably needs a complete break from the game for six months, he looks mentally shattered.

I agree with all this, I have said before he probably needs a complete break from the game for six months, he looks mentally shattered.
He's been active in football (constantly) since two years before I was born.

I'm already tired all the bloody time so I can't imagine how shattered he is!

It's very difficult to battle your bosses and have a football team to run. CW could've resigned at any point during his United tenure due to this factor. In the end sentiment always won. No doubt the constant stress of managing upstairs will have taken it's toll. I hope he gets to manage us when the boardroom is sorted out, and it's more manageable. He deserves it.

As others have said being a fan at the moment is pretty hard work, what must it be like being the fan AND the man held responsible for the results. It’s not like playing as United on FIFA or Football Manager is it no matter how seriously you take those games.
Whatever happens I can only wish Chris all the best. If that’s continuing to manage us that’s fantastic but if not then I would only wish him the best health and success in the future.

If he has mental health issues or is struggling he should be supported by the club.

That said, the idea of putting all the backroom staff on full pay garden leave and then paying well over the odds for all their temporary replacements is fairly bizarre. Sure, if he needs to take a break, give him a week or two. There's an international break coming up but it doesn't matter now if AK or PH take the team for a couple of games whilst he's away for 'personal reasons'.

As far as I'm aware (happy to be corrected) this is by far an away his least successful season in management and obviously the season where he's most in the public spotlight. Failure is hard if you've never had the experience before.

That said, I think all the playing and none playing staff deserve a longer rest than normal this summer.

He had a personal friend die a couple of weeks ago, someone he knew from Oxford it was on a radio Sheffield interview. He had only seen him the week before so it was sudden and not expected. Perhaps that has got to him

He is someone who thrives on pressure and 'hard work', but that's very different to being in a job where nothing is going right and you are constantly up against it.
Everyone cracks eventually and he has looked worn out for a while now.
More than anything, I think he needs some time out. It's a shame all concerned couldn't make it to the summer, have a few weeks rest and then regroup. Maybe they still can?...

Having listened to both sides of the story and been v surprised at the last minute cancellation of the press conference could it be that they are searching for a compromise.
Could it be that Chris Wilder is burnt out and needs a rest?

previous four years full tilt providing us with some great memories and the Prince ultimately with a quicker access to the riches of the premiership than he could possibly imagine.
Chris Wilder wanting to have a finger in every pie, to influence each and every decision. It takes its toll.

His recent press conferences have not been good
His teams and decisions have not mirrored the displays of the previous four years
He used to accept responsibility if he made mistakes, now it is everyone else’s fault
He has made mistakes with transfers, buying players and not playing them, team selection etc. ok we have had bad luck but some of it has been self inflicted

this in my opinion is at least partially due to the fact the guy is burnt out. Not only has he wanted to be involved in everything at the club but he has gone straight through the Covid seasons with hardly a break. He has apparently had some personal issues ( rumours of mums death) all of which take it out if you.

Possibly thought Fxxx this I can’t do it anymore, I am not appreciated etc etc

Could it be that the prince wants a little more control and CW has initially rejected the notion to the extent that he has tendered his resignation that the Prince had rejected and they are now telling him let’s accept it we are down, go away drink some Peroni have the rest of the season off, come back refreshed, these are the criteria we are all buying into let’s get back at the first attempt.

it has just dragged on for too long for it to be a simple resignation or sacking.

let’s see what the weekend brings

either way thanks for giving us our pride back Chris

COYRWW
Hope to fck this is the resolution to this

He often admitted he receives critique regards tactics and displays from his long term trusted Blades supporting mates in the pub.
He’ll be struggling losing his routine.

I posted something sometime ago. Could have been during the first Championship season (might have been after the Hull away game).

I used the terminology 'burnt out' as I thought he was doing too much, required assistance and needed to delegate,

I never thought of the idea of a Director of Football.

We need to support the guy,

After his battles with the ownership, trying to motivate players, recruitment, match pressures, boyhood fan additional self pressure I wouldn't blame him if he enjoyed his summer and didn't look for a new club until August/ September

I did consider the question a while back about who motivates the motivator.
I hope the answer is not that he gets put to the sword.
CW has done so much for this club and deserves far more than that.

Another scenario ...

CW's present contract stipulates his roles and responsibilities. These include the roles and responsibilities that a DOF would take on, were a DOF to be appointed.
Therefore the board can only appoint a DOF if CW agrees to some contract amendments. Board approach CW saying they want to appoint a DOF and would like CW to accept that and agree to the necessary contract amendments. CW tells board to bollocks. Board say they are going ahead with the appointment of a DOF anyway. CW says "If you do, you've broken my contract, I'm off and I expect the payment for the rest of my contract in my bank account forthwith".

Board: "Ah, well, maybe we can discuss this further"

Any contract lawyers out there to say whether any of that is remotely feasible?

Having listened to both sides of the story and been v surprised at the last minute cancellation of the press conference could it be that they are searching for a compromise.
Could it be that Chris Wilder is burnt out and needs a rest?

previous four years full tilt providing us with some great memories and the Prince ultimately with a quicker access to the riches of the premiership than he could possibly imagine.
Chris Wilder wanting to have a finger in every pie, to influence each and every decision. It takes its toll.

His recent press conferences have not been good
His teams and decisions have not mirrored the displays of the previous four years
He used to accept responsibility if he made mistakes, now it is everyone else’s fault
He has made mistakes with transfers, buying players and not playing them, team selection etc. ok we have had bad luck but some of it has been self inflicted

this in my opinion is at least partially due to the fact the guy is burnt out. Not only has he wanted to be involved in everything at the club but he has gone straight through the Covid seasons with hardly a break. He has apparently had some personal issues ( rumours of mums death) all of which take it out if you.

Possibly thought Fxxx this I can’t do it anymore, I am not appreciated etc etc

Could it be that the prince wants a little more control and CW has initially rejected the notion to the extent that he has tendered his resignation that the Prince had rejected and they are now telling him let’s accept it we are down, go away drink some Peroni have the rest of the season off, come back refreshed, these are the criteria we are all buying into let’s get back at the first attempt.

it has just dragged on for too long for it to be a simple resignation or sacking.

let’s see what the weekend brings

either way thanks for giving us our pride back Chris

COYRWW
Bertie, when you say you’ve listened to both sides of the story, who exactly was it that gave you both sides of the story?

All I’ve seen/read is a few statements from CWs interviews and a couple of sentences from HRH

Unless you’ve been privy to the big pow wows going on behind closed doors then it really is difficult to really know what’s gone on

I mean even Jim Phipps says he doesn’t know 😉

Bertie, when you say you’ve listened to both sides of the story, who exactly was it that gave you both sides of the story?

All I’ve seen/read is a few statements from CWs interviews and a couple of sentences from HRH

Unless you’ve been privy to the big pow wows going on behind closed doors then it really is difficult to really know what’s gone on

I mean even Jim Phipps says he doesn’t know 😉
Obviously the information in the public domain I have not claimed to be privy to privileged information. I have formed an opinion, it is a forum for discussion ???

Another scenario ...

CW's present contract stipulates his roles and responsibilities. These include the roles and responsibilities that a DOF would take on, were a DOF to be appointed.
Therefore the board can only appoint a DOF if CW agrees to some contract amendments. Board approach CW saying they want to appoint a DOF and would like CW to accept that and agree to the necessary contract amendments. CW tells board to bollocks. Board say they are going ahead with the appointment of a DOF anyway. CW says "If you do, you've broken my contract, I'm off and I expect the payment for the rest of my contract in my bank account forthwith".

Board: "Ah, well, maybe we can discuss this further"

Any contract lawyers out there to say whether any of that is remotely feasible?
It’s feasible

Obviously the information in the public domain I have not claimed to be privy to privileged information. I have formed an opinion, it is a forum for discussion ???
Absolutely Bertie, it’s just that I think no one on here has listened to both sides of the story only snippets that each party wish to put out in the public domain. I suspect things are a lot different in private

The mad bastard hasn't had a break since 1982!

Covid was probably the longest break he's had since he was 15

View attachment 108027
Such a great point. It has to be said too that throughout a lot of that period he has possibly been carrying the whole weight of the club on his shoulders (rightly or wrongly). At Halifax he had less than zero money and at times it was a race to the bank from the players to make sure they got paid and the cheque did not bounce. At Northampton he was trying to persuade the Chairman to step aside and fighting for a better situation for the club and fans. Obviously at the Blades it's his club and we know how much he fought and worked hard to bring success to the club. As others have mentioned he is someone that wants to be involved in every part of the club and takes his responsibilities further than most managers at times. Again as others have mentioned COVID probably has affected him more than most.

Wilder strikes me as just about being able to manage that workload and self inflicted pressure. However, ONLY with the coping mechanisms others have mentioned in place. Removal of those and a period of 'failure' at HIS club and you can see the impact it has had on him. Hopefully he can now get some support and refresh and come back with insight and lessons learned that will make him an even better manager.

I wonder if being such a big Blade isn’t a handicap in some ways, maybe he gets too wrapped up in it? There is no ability to distance from either good or bad.

My word
Never realised how much channel 4 s. Frasier had spawned so many media psychiatrists
10000 couches around Sheffield with a virtual Chris Wilder pouring his problems out

It's a game .....win games your a hero
Lose some .Your hanging on by your fingernails

CW hit a run of adverse results and couldn't stop the rot

His position like any managers in that position was in the balance

He ..... That's Chris took the decision to end the association

Some say he was manouvered into it
Yes ...by the results .he certainly was

He's disappointed as we are as he is a blade
But it was his job to win games

And he didn't. So he decided to go
I wish he'd stayed...But he chose to go
Of course he's down ..as we are on the results. But it's not unfathomable why hes down

My word
Never realised how much channel 4 s. Frasier had spawned so many media psychiatrists
10000 couches around Sheffield with a virtual Chris Wilder pouring his problems out

It's a game .....win games your a hero
Lose some .Your hanging on by your fingernails

CW hit a run of adverse results and couldn't stop the rot

His position like any managers in that position was in the balance

He ..... That's Chris took the decision to end the association

Some say he was manouvered into it
Yes ...by the results .he certainly was

He's disappointed as we are as he is a blade
But it was his job to win games

And he didn't. So he decided to go
I wish he'd stayed...But he chose to go
Of course he's down ..as we are on the results. But it's not unfathomable why hes down
There's us 'being down' about our team's results, and CW 'being down' at a level none of us will even begin to feel at those same results.
CW was the one directly responsible, not just for the results, but for the performances, player relationships, transfer successes and failures, press interviews and loads of other stuff going on in the background.
Yeah it's his job, yeah he got paid a shed load for doing it, but no amount of money can compensate for or put right the damage stress and exhaustion can do.

It's the emotional investment in it too, certainly from Wilder's perspective for managing his boyhood club, alongside managing a football club being a 24/7, all-consuming job anyway, particularly if you happen to be a bit of a control freak and perhaps not knowing which aspects to let someone else take control of and when. Wilder's background too is lower league clubs where there are barely any staff so he's used to taking on all manner of things that won't be of any concern to Pep, Klopp et al who have hundreds of people doing all sorts of jobs nobody would ever have thought about.

Adding to it the media scrutiny, getting beat every week and spitting your dummy about it, ramping up the pressure even more - wash, rinse, repeat until you decide you've had enough or someone else decides they've had enough of you.

Hmmm. So many people all over the world have had to deal with enormous amounts of stress over the past 12 months, without the direct support of friends, family, workmates etc. Or the financial security which being a PL manager brings. Yes, stress is stress, but he's been rather more cushioned against it than most people. And he still is. Just being realistic.

Hmmm. So many people all over the world have had to deal with enormous amounts of stress over the past 12 months, without the direct support of friends, family, workmates etc. Or the financial security which being a PL manager brings. Yes, stress is stress, but he's been rather more cushioned against it than most people. And he still is. Just being realistic.
He’ll never have to work again if he so desires. No worries paying the bills. He looked stressed, no doubt about it, but he always had the option of walking away. Millions upon millions don’t have that luxury.

He’ll never have to work again if he so desires. No worries paying the bills. He looked stressed, no doubt about it, but he always had the option of walking away. Millions upon millions don’t have that luxury.

True but money doesn't buy you happiness. There are some things money can't fix.

Back
Top Bottom