Wilder’s mental health

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bertieblade

Reaction score
Having listened to both sides of the story and been v surprised at the last minute cancellation of the press conference could it be that they are searching for a compromise.
Could it be that Chris Wilder is burnt out and needs a rest?

previous four years full tilt providing us with some great memories and the Prince ultimately with a quicker access to the riches of the premiership than he could possibly imagine.
Chris Wilder wanting to have a finger in every pie, to influence each and every decision. It takes its toll.

His recent press conferences have not been good
His teams and decisions have not mirrored the displays of the previous four years
He used to accept responsibility if he made mistakes, now it is everyone else’s fault
He has made mistakes with transfers, buying players and not playing them, team selection etc. ok we have had bad luck but some of it has been self inflicted

this in my opinion is at least partially due to the fact the guy is burnt out. Not only has he wanted to be involved in everything at the club but he has gone straight through the Covid seasons with hardly a break. He has apparently had some personal issues ( rumours of mums death) all of which take it out if you.

Possibly thought Fxxx this I can’t do it anymore, I am not appreciated etc etc

Could it be that the prince wants a little more control and CW has initially rejected the notion to the extent that he has tendered his resignation that the Prince had rejected and they are now telling him let’s accept it we are down, go away drink some Peroni have the rest of the season off, come back refreshed, these are the criteria we are all buying into let’s get back at the first attempt.

it has just dragged on for too long for it to be a simple resignation or sacking.

let’s see what the weekend brings

either way thanks for giving us our pride back Chris

COYRWW

I mean, I'm pretty sure 'No' is correct. This type of thing just doesn't happen in football.

Funnily enough though, there is some logic in it outside of football. In other workplaces if you had a highly valued employee who was struggling but was a valuable long term asset you'd probably consider telling them to take a decent break and come back refreshed and hungry. It does make sense.

The other fly in the logic though is that we have a FA Cup quarter final in a week's time. The season really shouldn't be written off completely yet.

“Let’s see what the weekend brings”
Ideally 3 points.

Putting football to one side for a moment, I hope that Chris is ok. He’s not looked or sounded himself recently and, if there is any truth in the rumours that he resigned but is reconsidering, it would fit with somebody who is struggling at the moment. Let’s hope that’s not the case (that he’s struggling) and/or that he gets any support that he needs.

Putting football to one side for a moment, I hope that Chris is ok. He’s not looked or sounded himself recently and, if there is any truth in the rumours that he resigned but is reconsidering, it would fit with somebody who is struggling at the moment. Let’s hope that’s not the case (that he’s struggling) and/or that he gets any support that he needs.
100% great post.

Couldn’t agree more. Hasn’t looked himself for about a year. Since COVID really. Hope he’s alright upstairs.

If its the case hes recently lost his mum as I've seen posted elsewhere, that would be enough of an emotional rollercoaster on its own without all the pressure from his work situation right now. None of us are indestructable, however hard me might think we are.
Terrible timing in all this and it may be playing some part.

I’ve been thinking this for a while now. It might do him good to have some down time, regardless of the fans/club etc. Just him as a person. He deserves some time to himself and with his family for all he has done.

Prince better give him the pay off he has well and truely deserved.

I agree, said it yesterday that he would be hurting. It is one thing to resign from any job but to resign as a manager of a huge football club is huge. Then to add the fact that it is his boyhood club and he has a huge amount of pride it must be really difficult for him. I hope he gets the right support right now.

It’s been a shit time for us fans watching the crap we’ve served up this season, so it’s must be a million times worse managing the club.

I’ve thought for months he wanted out and would’ve quit, but didn’t because he didn’t want to lose his payoff.

Put him on sabbatical until July, with Heckingbottom in charge until the summer - it’s not like he’s going to keep us up.

I totally agree with the OP. I suggested the idea a few months ago that he needed a break, but was shot down in flames. For a few years now he's being carrying the weight on his shoulders for a few of his old clubs such as Oxford and Northampton. Came to us in a very pressurised job of getting us promoted to the top table on a shoestring budget. Covid hits, a quick turnaround and no time for a break. Could many of us go through such pressure? I think not.

I totally agree with the OP. I suggested the idea a few months ago that he needed a break, but was shot down in flames. For a few years now he's being carrying the weight on his shoulders for a few of his old clubs such as Oxford and Northampton. Came to us in a very pressurised job of getting us promoted to the top table on a shoestring budget. Covid hits, a quick turnaround and no time for a break. Could many of us go through such pressure? I think not.
The mad bastard hasn't had a break since 1982!

Covid was probably the longest break he's had since he was 15

Screenshot_20210313-103521_Chrome.jpg

I thought this last night, possible that if he has lost his Mum & is really struggling mentally that these discussions have been around taking a sabbatical and putting some steps in place for a caretaker manager until the end of the season? Obviously this is unusual in football & journo’s would assume the worst.

Maybe just me hanging onto a thread of hope but it’s possible I suppose

I started to write a post about this a while ago and scrapped it. Having suffered with bouts of depression there are some signs I recognise. Hopefully I'm very wrong.
Or, perhaps, he's grown tired of trying to compete with one had tied behind his back and dealing with a board he no longer trusts?

I have been thinking this for some time , the pressure must be great , but there's no need to feel under pressure Chris , we all know were down and the various reasons for this some of which were out of anyone's control , I personally am 100% BEHIND THIS MAN , and want him to continue , my plan would have been to carry on with Chris and look where we are at Christmas in the championship that to me would make more sense . Carry on and keep calm Chris !!

'For me, put Wilder and the coaching staff on gardening leave and find someone else to take over for the rest of the season and see what happens.

Wilder would be welcome to be considered for resuming first team duties in summer of 2021 if we view it in the club's best interests. For now he needs a break and this is too much, no shame in that and forever grateful for getting us into the PL.'

I said this back in December, I still stand by it. Yes, relatively unprecedented in football but then Klopp and Guardiola had time out of the game to take a break.

And I had wondered about the OP though like others thought not to mention it on a public forum.

I started to write a post about this a while ago and scrapped it. Having suffered with bouts of depression there are some signs I recognise. Hopefully I'm very wrong.
This is purely my opinion and I'm not suggesting this is fact, because I don't actually know the man and can only go from his public persona, but I have a bit of background in psychology and I've thought for a while that Wilder exhibits traits of NPD.

The "my way or the highway" attitude, the "I can say what I want when I want" and the general sense that he believes he is the king of the world.

It could partly explain the crash in attitude since Covid...

He's not getting the validation of 30,000 fans every week, with the team struggling so much (thus being questioned by journalists more), and also with not getting his own way with the Prince...

These could signal classic narcissistic traits, which aren't always a bad thing, most great leaders through history were almost certainly highly narcissistic.

When someone with NPD receives a satisfactory level of validation and their self esteem is high, they can move mountains, but if those factors are removed then it can manifest in destructive ways such as petulance, self sabotage and emotional outbursts.

Whatever goes on with the club, I just hope Chris is alright in himself, he and I may disagree politically but I still think he seems a standout bloke and he's still a Blade...just like one of us ⚔

This is purely my opinion and I'm not suggesting this is fact, because I don't actually know the man and can only go from his public persona, but I have a bit of background in psychology and I've thought for a while that Wilder exhibits traits of NPD.

The "my way or the highway" attitude, the "I can say what I want when I want" and the general sense that he believes he is the king of the world.

It could partly explain the crash in attitude since Covid...

He's not getting the validation of 30,000 fans every week, with the team struggling so much (thus being questioned by journalists more), and also with not getting his own way with the Prince...

These could signal classic narcissistic traits, which aren't always a bad thing, most great leaders through history were almost certainly highly narcissistic.

When someone with NPD receives a satisfactory level of validation and their self esteem is high, they can move mountains, but if those factors are removed then it can manifest in destructive ways such as petulance, self sabotage and emotional outbursts.

Whatever goes on with the club, I just hope Chris is alright in himself, he and I may disagree politically but I still think he seems a standout bloke and he's still a Blade...just like one of us ⚔

Sounds like Donald Trump :(

Back
Top Bottom