Where would this squad come in the championship

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We would be at the top end of the Championship, top 6 at least with this team/squad.

Have a look at the combined Championship records of Sharp, McGoldrick, McBurnie and Brewster for a start....

Oliver Norwood has 3 promotions to his name. The standards/quality of Bash/Egan/JOC could be even higher for their experience in the Premier League.

Put it this way: if and when we go down we will be in 1st or 2nd favs for promotion and there is a reason for that. Doesn't mean it will happen of course, but I don't buy this assumption that because we're having a shocker this season we'll definitely have one in the Championship next season.
No we wont be first or second favourites maybe third at best

There are absolutely no facts to back up us not being an extremely strong championship team. All the players have been strong in the championship previously a front line of Burke Didz mcburnie etc is a very very strong forward line. We are still mainly losing by the odd goal against far better teams than top end championship teams. Add to this the championship is poor at the moment and nobody is going to spend any money.

So all the facts point towards us having a proper go at getting back up. Of course this isn’t a given but I would be confident.

After watching the pigs be absolutely atrocious and still pick up a few wins I think people saying we'd struggle to stay up are over reacting a bit.

With oconell back and the quality of forwards being much, much less I would assume we'll be a lot better defensively.

Add that to the fact that sharp, Brewster, Mcgoldrick, Mcburnie have proven they can score at that level and we should very easily be looking at top 10.

If we can sign a creative midfielder and a decent replacement for lundstrum there's no reason we shouldn't be aiming for top 6 minimum.

well i really fancy us to do very well next season in the championship maybe egan and berge will be sold and possibly 3 or 4 others moved on but there will be incomings and midfield is the key area for me we need more physicality and athleticism in that department and hopefully we will ditch this flat 3 in midfield

There are absolutely no facts to back up us not being an extremely strong championship team. All the players have been strong in the championship previously a front line of Burke Didz mcburnie etc is a very very strong forward line. We are still mainly losing by the odd goal against far better teams than top end championship teams. Add to this the championship is poor at the moment and nobody is going to spend any money.

So all the facts point towards us having a proper go at getting back up. Of course this isn’t a given but I would be confident.

I'd consider Mcburnie and Brewster to be the front 2.
As good as Didzy has been this season, he's not going to be spearheading this attack if it does get promotion next season.
Sharp can play a similar role to what Kevin Phillips did at the very end of his career.

Burke isn't someone i'd want as a striker in the Championship.
I thought when Wilder brought him in he wanted to turn him into a right wing-back, I don't get his selection as a striker at all, his goal return is poor at every level he has played.

Norwich made 11 signings over the summer for the first team squad not all start but there was a significant influx of new blood into the group. Deadwood was moved out and new faces brought in to freshen things up.
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I'm not really sure what's the indication of your post/message. It's the same Norwich players they fielded in the prem last season that are playing and banging the goals in. They've got 11 new faces there, apparently not making much contribution at all on the pitch, though. So is this about the stimulus/kick in the arse of the playing squad, that is achieved by bringing in as many as a whole new starting eleven to compete for the places in opening lineup?

I don't think anyone does. I'd say there are more going the other way and assuming that we'll be promoted. I can't see us bouncing back from this shitshow of a season, particularly when fans aren't going to be back in grounds for a while yet.
A few on here have said it. I think it’s far more realistic to be expecting us to push for promotion. Anyone thinking we’ll easily walk it are deluded. The gap between the two leagues is pretty huge though, I have hope.

Top 3, our defense can cope with champ defenders and our attackers can score past champ defenders.

Midfield with Berg back for Norwood should be great for the champ as well.

Most on here are way too negative... most games we have lost by a single goal...

Crowds back, replace a few that have gone to shit.. no problem.

We’ll piss the championship and we will get more than 11 points this season ... when we get mcburnie back ... some of you are like spoilt brats that’s had their ps5 taken off them and they hate mum and dad atm

Probably, if the team was as it currently is, we'd be hard to beat by most sides in the Championship (apart from the 4 to 6 teams that are currently in the lead.) But our lack of goals would remain a problem, imo. As for our mainly oldish core of team, who will all be three years older by the time we get back to the Championship - there's no relevance to point out that they did well previously in the Championship. Whether The Championship is poor or not, I guess it depends on the angle one views it. I'm, sadly, not aware of any facts that would point out a team heading up to be the worst side in the Premier league history to be an extremely solid Championship team. What are the facts backing up the assumption that we would be an extremely strong Championship team?

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I'm not really sure what's the indication of your post/message. It's the same Norwich players they fielded in the prem last season that are playing and banging the goals in. They've got 11 new faces there, apparently not making much contribution at all on the pitch, though. So is this about the stimulus/kick in the arse of the playing squad, that is achieved by bringing in as many as a whole new starting eleven to compete for the places in opening lineup?
I’m not trying to start an argument either and I’m sure your posts are in good faith as there’s definitely a discussion to be had here. Whilst yes their starting 11 is made up of players who mostly played in the prem so your point stands as to retaining those prem players. I guess my point is that Norwich worked on moving out our players who were seen as deadwood or bad influences in the summer and then brought in new faces around the training ground. Imo this probably achieved two things firstly it brought it a lot of players with fresh optimism for the coming season with ambitions of being promoted helping to lift the gloom that no doubt surrounded the place after their post lockdown surrender. Also it’s often said players get sick of hearing the same instructions from a manager but with a new 11 players effectively half the 25 man squad is new to the manager and so it probably keeps training fresh and spirits high aswell as there being extra competition like you say.

I'm sure they were able to add those players because of the sales they made.

The difference was they had more players that other PL sides would have interest in.
They sold Lewis and Godfrey, there was still interest in Aarons/Cantwell/Buendia but they could hold out for the fees they wanted by selling a couple for decent money.
Obviously sales helped in making those signings but the signings they made weren’t necessarily high value acquisitions it was more shrewd business rather than lavish spending. None of the fees Norwich paid in the summer would be beyond United this coming summer. They picked up players who were of a good age but surplus at prem level and good up and comers from the lower leagues with a smattering of their usual cheap foreign imports. With the exception of the foreign players United could do the same.

I'd consider Mcburnie and Brewster to be the front 2.
As good as Didzy has been this season, he's not going to be spearheading this attack if it does get promotion next season.
Sharp can play a similar role to what Kevin Phillips did at the very end of his career.

Burke isn't someone i'd want as a striker in the Championship.
I thought when Wilder brought him in he wanted to turn him into a right wing-back, I don't get his selection as a striker at all, his goal return is poor at every level he has played.

The McGoldrick who was our Player of the Year in our promotion season scoring 15 goals in the process?

Or the one that is our Player of the Year this season with a goals to games ratio of about 1:3?

He gets us playing & is one of the first names on the teamsheet.

How we go next season will depend on who we sell. If we lose Egan & O'Connell then we'll be building a new defence & a new midfield & it will take a long time for players to gel.

If we keep them 2 together then we start the season with solid foundations of being very strong at the back.
With good strikers (for the level) we'd be in with a shout most games.

If we then managed to build a decent midfield (Jed Wallace, George Saville, Lewis O'Brien, Alex Mowatt etc..) we'd be in with a serious chance of bouncing straight back up.

So until we see what our squad looks like at the end of August there's really no telling.

Obviously sales helped in making those signings but the signings they made weren’t necessarily high value acquisitions it was more shrewd business rather than lavish spending. None of the fees Norwich paid in the summer would be beyond United this coming summer. They picked up players who were of a good age but surplus at prem level and good up and comers from the lower leagues with a smattering of their usual cheap foreign imports. With the exception of the foreign players United could do the same.

The club could do the same, Norwich have done it for a few seasons now.

Wilder needs someone at the club to help identifying talent from abroad.

We could finish anywhere between 1st and 10th next season. We need to recruit well though to add creativity and to replace those who will leave.

The club could do the same, Norwich have done it for a few seasons now.

Wilder needs someone at the club to help identifying talent from abroad.
Yes ideally United would be in a position to do it but it’s highly unlikely we’ll be in a place to do that by the summer.

The McGoldrick who was our Player of the Year in our promotion season scoring 15 goals in the process?

Or the one that is our Player of the Year this season with a goals to games ratio of about 1:3?

He gets us playing & is one of the first names on the teamsheet.

You confident in 2 years time at 35/36, he will score the goals required to keep Blades in the Premier league?

No.

We were taking about next season in the Championship...

"I'd consider Mcburnie and Brewster to be the front 2.
As good as Didzy has been this season, he's not going to be spearheading this attack if it does get promotion next season."

Cmon man, play the post and not the poster.

Mcgoldrick has a role to play next season, but the more he plays, and Sharp too, the less Brewster/Mcburnie/any other younger forward does......
Then you have the same problem as this season.

Taking OPs question quite literally here, where would this squad finish in the championship.

Well, it's inherently clear that the composition of the squad is deeply flawed and not set up to be competitive, given we're currently scrabbling around most weeks, chopping and changing and having to rely on back-ups, players out of position and players wildly out of form etc. So casting aside the fact that a lot of these players would be and have been excellent players in the Championship, the structure of the squad of a whole is in need of big change for it to be solid enough to compete over 46 games.

I mean, as one example: our lack of midfielders this season really is a joke. To sleepwalk into such a problem is thoroughly unacceptable at any level of the pro game, not just the Prem, especially when you're chucking £23m on a kid who sits on the bench. Stuff like that means that this team won't just be relegated and then suddenly become competitive without changes. We will need some changes to the personnel.
This squad at full strength would probably get promoted.
However that assumes that all the key players would remain and be fit. If the squad can be 9th in the Premiership it can get out of the Championship
The real problem is what the hell happens then !

If Wilder is to stay his number 1 job is to get his big signings to stay (Berge, Brewster and so on) if we can keep the likes of them along with Bogle, Burke, Freeman then there is no reason we shouldn't be able top 6 easily.

All the signings were on longish term deals 3 year+ however i imagine a couple of them will have relegation minimum fee release clauses.
Why would you sign anyone who wants a release relegation clause, why would they bother trying if they knew they could leave if relegation was beckoning.
I not sure any manager would agree to such clauses.

Why would you sign anyone who wants a release relegation clause, why would they bother trying if they knew they could leave if relegation was beckoning.
I not sure any manager would agree to such clauses.

Because sometimes clauses like these are the only way to get that player to sign.

I think of the players took this current mentality into Championship, you know beat before we kick off I'd be very sacred of us going down again.

I think of the players took this current mentality into Championship, you know beat before we kick off I'd be very sacred of us going down again.

The Mentality is going to be completely different to the last time they played at that level, that will be a concern.

No longer the plucky underdogs, the attitude by many on here shows that anything below the top 6 is a failure.

Which teams are better than us in the championship? Norwich Bournemouth Swansea Brentford at the very least. so we would finish about 5th in the championship . 3 off those will probs go up and 2 more {most likely WBA and Fulham} will come down with us. I think Whichever one off the 4 we have already metioned and Fulham/WBA will be above us so we will come 4th and lose in the play ffs to the other one off those 3

Get some lottery numbers pulled out mate, better still get to the bookies and put a tenner on all that..

Do you really think we will have any difficulty in 'holding on' to McBurnie
No, I don't think we'll struggle to hold on to any of our strikers - I just think that spine is a good starting point around which to build an effective Championship line up.

The Mentality is going to be completely different to the last time they played at that level, that will be a concern.

No longer the plucky underdogs, the attitude by many on here shows that anything below the top 6 is a failure.
Sorry youth not come across you before, but after almost 60 years of watching/following United I and many on here are more than prepared for us having a poor season in Championship. You have to accept that United never do anything the easy way, we make lives hard enough for ourselves without the players intervening. You can aim for top 6 as you say but we have been chucking money about like confetti, the only trouble is we've spent it at Poundland.

Back
Top Bottom