Where would this squad come in the championship

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Pigsareblue

Reaction score
Which teams are better than us in the championship? Norwich Bournemouth Swansea Brentford at the very least. so we would finish about 5th in the championship . 3 off those will probs go up and 2 more {most likely WBA and Fulham} will come down with us. I think Whichever one off the 4 we have already metioned and Fulham/WBA will be above us so we will come 4th and lose in the play ffs to the other one off those 3

the table would look like this

1. Fulham
2. Bounemouth
3. WBA {POW}
4. Sheffield United
5. Watford

If Wilder is to stay his number 1 job is to get his big signings to stay (Berge, Brewster and so on) if we can keep the likes of them along with Bogle, Burke, Freeman then there is no reason we shouldn't be able top 6 easily.

All the signings were on longish term deals 3 year+ however i imagine a couple of them will have relegation minimum fee release clauses.

Which teams are better than us in the championship? Norwich Bournemouth Swansea Brentford at the very least. so we would finish about 5th in the championship . 3 off those will probs go up and 2 more {most likely WBA and Fulham} will come down with us. I think Whichever one off the 4 we have already metioned and Fulham/WBA will be above us so we will come 4th and lose in the play ffs to the other one off those 3
Mid table maybe slightly higher

Its OF FFS not Off

If Wilder is to stay his number 1 job is to get his big signings to stay (Berge, Brewster and so on) if we can keep the likes of them along with Bogle, Burke, Freeman then there is no reason we shouldn't be able top 6 easily.

All the signings were on longish term deals 3 year+ however i imagine a couple of them will have relegation minimum fee release clauses.
Freeman will never play for us again. There’s something gone on there that will be revealed in a book down the line.

On current showing you’d have to say there will be 2 sides relegated with us who finish higher than us this season so would probably be the favourites to come back up.

As for the sides currently in the Championship, Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford and possibly Brentford.

The problem we face however is getting relegated on such a low points total could cause one hell of a hangover that could run into next season, we’ve seen it happen with other teams and that for me is one of the main reasons we can’t write off this season and we have to try to kick on in the second half of the season.

We’ll certainly not be able to play the underdog card next season. The mentality needs to shift massively for us to have a decent season.

There won’t be a decent number of fans in until Jan 2022 so we can’t rely on that to get us going if it’s such a big factor in our decline.

Taking OPs question quite literally here, where would this squad finish in the championship.

Well, it's inherently clear that the composition of the squad is deeply flawed and not set up to be competitive, given we're currently scrabbling around most weeks, chopping and changing and having to rely on back-ups, players out of position and players wildly out of form etc. So casting aside the fact that a lot of these players would be and have been excellent players in the Championship, the structure of the squad of a whole is in need of big change for it to be solid enough to compete over 46 games.

I mean, as one example: our lack of midfielders this season really is a joke. To sleepwalk into such a problem is thoroughly unacceptable at any level of the pro game, not just the Prem, especially when you're chucking £23m on a kid who sits on the bench. Stuff like that means that this team won't just be relegated and then suddenly become competitive without changes. We will need some changes to the personnel.

I have no idea what anyone’s seen in Berge for us to want him to stay. The wheels fell off our midfield the day he signed.

He’d still command a fee - which we could use for team strengthening.

We look like a mediocre championship team to be honest. Good run of luck top half. Bad run of luck fighting relegation again. It just doesn’t look right throughout the team. Reboot required.

Taking OPs question quite literally here, where would this squad finish in the championship.

Well, it's inherently clear that the composition of the squad is deeply flawed and not set up to be competitive, given we're currently scrabbling around most weeks, chopping and changing and having to rely on back-ups, players out of position and players wildly out of form etc. So casting aside the fact that a lot of these players would be and have been excellent players in the Championship, the structure of the squad of a whole is in need of big change for it to be solid enough to compete over 46 games.

I mean, as one example: our lack of midfielders this season really is a joke. To sleepwalk into such a problem is thoroughly unacceptable at any level of the pro game, not just the Prem, especially when you're chucking £23m on a kid who sits on the bench. Stuff like that means that this team won't just be relegated and then suddenly become competitive without changes. We will need some changes to the personnel.
Whilst I agree with your general point - are we really that shy in midfield?

Norwood, Fleck, Berge, Lundstrum, Ampadeu, Osborn, potentially Basham, potentially McGoldrick, potentially Bogle.

As it’s turned out, the quality is missing, but are the numbers so low?

the championship quality is low, lets not forget norwich who lost there last 10 & over them 10 games were more hopeless than us & top of championship. Swansea who arent spectaular are 2nd, & bournemouth who looked lost only won 2 of last 13 PL games are 3rd & watford were best of 3 coming down, been poor this season already on the 2nd manager yet are 5th in the table

i remember yesterday paul merson talking about solanke on soccer saturday, he scored 4 in 63 in PL, he's got 10 in 24 in championship

Whilst I agree with your general point - are we really that shy in midfield?

Norwood, Fleck, Berge, Lundstrum, Ampadeu, Osborn, potentially Basham, potentially McGoldrick, potentially Bogle.

As it’s turned out, the quality is missing, but are the numbers so low?
I mean, it's a bit lightweight. Lunny isn't supposed to be here anymore, Berge out until March, the players like Ampadu, Ozzy, Bash, McGoldrick, Bogle are all makeshift as midfielders. We could have done with just a couple more good, old fashioned central midfielders.

I slate the recruitment all the time.....

But we signed the best championship players. Think may need a season to get over the hangover then go for too 2

Why, where has he said we would finish in championship? Have I missed summat?
Wilder hasn’t said anything what the poster implied is 19 games this season and post lockdown plus 50 million quid

10th - and he’s been far too loyal to some that need moving on.

the championship quality is low, lets not forget norwich who lost there last 10 & over them 10 games were more hopeless than us & top of championship. Swansea who arent spectaular are 2nd, & bournemouth who looked lost only won 2 of last 13 PL games are 3rd & watford were best of 3 coming down, been poor this season already on the 2nd manager yet are 5th in the table

i remember yesterday paul merson talking about solanke on soccer saturday, he scored 4 in 63 in PL, he's got 10 in 24 in championship
A good counter argument to some 'knee-jerk' reactions we'd be poor next season. We simply won't know until we try... but at least this post pits last seasons strugglers against actual status this year.

Depends on which squad turns up. This season's version or last season that finished 9th.

Lots of people making comparisons to Norwich and others refuting them and both are understandable. The thing is that Norwich as a football club have bounced back but that Norwich squad has not. A few players from last year are still playing but they signed a brand new starting 11 over the summer which will have completely changed the atmosphere around the place. If we want to come back soon we will have to do the same imo keep the young players we’ve invested heavily in but rebuild the rest. It is possible that we bounce straight back but it will require a succession of good decisions over the summer which we won’t know whether they’re the right ones until about this time next year.

Back
Top Bottom