Where would this squad come in the championship

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Which teams are better than us in the championship? Norwich Bournemouth Swansea Brentford at the very least. so we would finish about 5th in the championship . 3 off those will probs go up and 2 more {most likely WBA and Fulham} will come down with us. I think Whichever one off the 4 we have already metioned and Fulham/WBA will be above us so we will come 4th and lose in the play ffs to the other one off those 3
Unfair sample.

Comparing our results against teams such as Man City and Liverpool to their results against teams such as Rotherham and Wycombe.

Pretty sure we'd look just as good if we were playing Forest and them filthy snorters

The difference with that Norwich team is that a lot of that promotion winning side were kids or foreign players playing for their first time in England.
Whereas this squad is full of ageing players, i'm not convinced they're at an age this experience can improve them.

They do buy well Norwich over the past few years, improve players and then sell well too.

Can this side sell players for the fees they got for the likes of Godfrey/Lewis/Maddison/Murphy brothers etc?

Which teams are better than us in the championship? Norwich Bournemouth Swansea Brentford at the very least. so we would finish about 5th in the championship . 3 off those will probs go up and 2 more {most likely WBA and Fulham} will come down with us. I think Whichever one off the 4 we have already metioned and Fulham/WBA will be above us so we will come 4th and lose in the play ffs to the other one off those 3
A totally pointless question because every single team in the Championship will have a different team made up of different players to varying degrees including ourselves, and sometimes it only takes a couple of signings to completely change a club’s fortunes for good or bad.

Freeman will never play for us again. There’s something gone on there that will be revealed in a book down the line.
I can’t reveal sources as don’t want this to get litigious but I heard...‘he’s just not very good at football’

We would be at the top end of the Championship, top 6 at least with this team/squad.

Have a look at the combined Championship records of Sharp, McGoldrick, McBurnie and Brewster for a start....

Oliver Norwood has 3 promotions to his name. The standards/quality of Bash/Egan/JOC could be even higher for their experience in the Premier League.

Put it this way: if and when we go down we will be in 1st or 2nd favs for promotion and there is a reason for that. Doesn't mean it will happen of course, but I don't buy this assumption that because we're having a shocker this season we'll definitely have one in the Championship next season.

It is unlikely that we will be able to emulate Norwich, although I doubt we will end up like Huddersfield.

The team that achieved so much over the last two/three years has had it's time and needs to re rebuilt. It is fanciful to think that "project rebuild" will bare fruit for a couple of years.

We all recognise that we need a new midfield, I believe we have a decent looking attack for the championship, but worry we will loose our better defenders Egan, and O'Connell in due course.

There is going to be a big clear out this summer, some promotions from the reserves to the first team and new recruits.

HH

I'd be optimistic if we can achieve the following:
  • Getting over the 11pts mark this season
  • Go down with a bit of fight and character
  • Hold on to a spine of JOC & Egan, Berge, McBurnie & Brewster
  • Recruit the players to give us an option of playing a different system - the reliance on 5-3-2 has hurt us and we don't have the players available to employ a Plan B when it isn't working
  • Keep Wilder and Knill

Not even comparable, after 19 games they had 12 points. 3 of those were against Man City I believe. We are on course to be the worst PL team ever (statistically). You don't just bounce back from that.
Sunderland bounced back after recording a record low finish, twice.

Not even comparable, after 19 games they had 12 points. 3 of those were against Man City I believe. We are on course to be the worst PL team ever (statistically). You don't just bounce back from that.

In their last 16 games they achieved 5 points. Fairly similar to our record so far. That was the form they were taking into the Championship this season.

There's some utter rubbish near the bottom that would make us look good.

I think top 10, maybe a play off tilt if we picked up some results but there's a big clear out needed. Any team who can put big bodies in the box and intelligent players in the middle of the park would run rings around our lot at the moment i.e. any other Premier League team or team with Premier League aspirations.

Based on current squad (with JOC and Berge back) we will be a top 6 team comfortably, pushing for top. Its a far better overall squad than what we went up with.

Lots of people making comparisons to Norwich and others refuting them and both are understandable. The thing is that Norwich as a football club have bounced back but that Norwich squad has not. A few players from last year are still playing but they signed a brand new starting 11 over the summer which will have completely changed the atmosphere around the place. --
1610970967463.png
Personally I can see pretty familiar names here. At least eleven of them (out of 14, that is) were playing for Norwich in the prem. Are you really sure about this thing that Norwich would've signed a brand new starting eleven over the summer??

If everyone stays (a big if), and we return to true Wilderball, we're clearly better now than when we got promoted.

McBurnie got 22 league goals for a mediocre Swansea that season. He's an upgrade on Madine. Brewster, at that level, is better than the likes of Washington or Hogan. L. Freeman is younger now than Duffy was when we were last in the Championship and could potentially be an upgrade in AM. Berge is Coutts on growth hormone. Bogle is better than K. Freeman. Lowe/RND give us more than Marvin Johnson. Ramsdale might not be as good as Henderson, but he's good enough.

The question is going to be whether the players who were so good for us before (Fleck, Norwood, Stevens etc.) can perform at that level again. If they can, we've got a great chance.

In their last 16 games they achieved 5 points. Fairly similar to our record so far. That was the form they were taking into the Championship this season.
If we get to15 points then at least we'll have a bit of momentum from where we are.

The squad this season, factoring in for the injuries we've had and everything - I'd probably say 8th -12th.

With everyone fit, 3rd - 7th.

It might happen, but I bet our points total will be lower than theirs.
Might do, might not. My point was that we can still bounce back next season. I find it incredible that there are a few that think realistically we’re nailed on for another relegation scrap next season.

View attachment 103374
Personally I can see pretty familiar names here. At least eleven of them (out of 14, that is) were playing for Norwich in the prem. Are you really sure about this thing that Norwich would've signed a brand new starting eleven over the summer??
Norwich made 11 signings over the summer for the first team squad not all start but there was a significant influx of new blood into the group. Deadwood was moved out and new faces brought in to freshen things up.

I don't want come over like one of the massive deluded fucktard pigs here, but honestly, I could see us doing very well in the Championship. The players we have are top championship level - that's why we have suffered this season. There is a big gulf between the 2 divisions and we don't have enough players with that extra bit of quality. Last season we had Hendo and JOC plus all the others playing at the very peak of their game. Add the fact that we were very lucky with injuries (certainly up until lockdown) and that translated into the sum of our parts nicking some very close games by the odd goal. As we have seen this season, we are in almost total reverse of this. Injuries have ripped us apart, we've obviously lost the above 2 mentioned players and the rest are nowhere near playing at the peak of their game.

So to the Championship. We have some top quality championship players. I would back our forward line of Didz, Billy, McB, Burke and Brewster to score goals there. Our midfield will need a tweak or two, but we still have the very same players (Duffy apart) who tore the Championship a new'un last time round. Defence is the same, plus a couple of additions who are quality at that level. We also have a stronger strength in depth squad too.

I think it all depends on how we end this season and the mental attitude going into next. If Tufty can get them firing and raring to go I think it could be a very successful season - ie top 2.

Might do, might not. My point was that we can still bounce back next season. I find it incredible that there are a few that think realistically we’re nailed on for another relegation scrap next season.
I don't think anyone does. I'd say there are more going the other way and assuming that we'll be promoted. I can't see us bouncing back from this shitshow of a season, particularly when fans aren't going to be back in grounds for a while yet.

Norwich made 11 signings over the summer for the first team squad not all start but there was a significant influx of new blood into the group. Deadwood was moved out and new faces brought in to freshen things up.

I'm sure they were able to add those players because of the sales they made.

The difference was they had more players that other PL sides would have interest in.
They sold Lewis and Godfrey, there was still interest in Aarons/Cantwell/Buendia but they could hold out for the fees they wanted by selling a couple for decent money.

We would be at the top end of the Championship, top 6 at least with this team/squad.

Have a look at the combined Championship records of Sharp, McGoldrick, McBurnie and Brewster for a start....

Oliver Norwood has 3 promotions to his name. The standards/quality of Bash/Egan/JOC could be even higher for their experience in the Premier League.

Put it this way: if and when we go down we will be in 1st or 2nd favs for promotion and there is a reason for that. Doesn't mean it will happen of course, but I don't buy this assumption that because we're having a shocker this season we'll definitely have one in the Championship next season.

It works both ways though.
You're assuming this side fights for promotion based off the fact the majority of the squad have only 1 promotion to the PL in their 10 year careers.

The right signings in the summer will be the key imo.

Strange for a player who was coveted by a few of our fans for a while.
Nothing against the lad he’s an average Champ player but if we harbour any ambition to get promoted and importantly actually stay in the PL then we have seen up close the type of players required in and out of possession in the PL and he along with many others are no longer good enough.

Sunderland bounced back after recording a record low finish, twice.
yes they had 15 which is around where we will finsih i reckon. At the time that was a record to are for us 15-18 will not be a record

It works both ways though.
You're assuming this side fights for promotion based off the fact the majority of the squad have only 1 promotion to the PL in their 10 year careers.

The right signings in the summer will be the key imo.

Yes it works both ways - of course it does.

I'm not a huge fan of these types of debate as there is quite literally no way of knowing how we'll do next season in the Championship. As you say, we need to know what the summer business is like for a start. These types of thread are more likely another way for depressed Sheffield United fans expressing their frustration than they are an attempt to have a genuine debate. "These players are so bad that they'd be shit in the league below too" etc. Which is why I will make this my last contribution to this thread.

I will just say that I am not assuming that this side fights for promotion based on '1 promotion to the PL in their 10 year careers'. There are numerous things that would lead me to believe that this side fighting for promotion in the Championship is far more likely than fighting relegation but I can't be arsed to list them.

Back
Top Bottom