When was the last time one of our matches clashed with a major sporting event?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Rugby World Cup final when we won it a few years ago clashed with Ipswich away. Not a huge problem as it was early morning, but did delay our drive as one of our party wanted to watch it. Seem to remember some Suffolkian nonce in maroon slacks and a slack jaw starting the swing low chariot. Blades fans near me just booed and rightly emphasised that was not suitable for football. Mind you spent night in Bury St Edmunds and met some ex submariners in The Nutshell who’d been on it since 0700 and were still going at 2100, then the landlady down the road asked if we wanted to see her Matty Holland shrine…. Time to hide we thought..

i think huddersfield clashed with the france v morocco semi final

but dont worry because with our defending its im not sure with team who are big underdogs, are going to get the bigger battering sheffield united or england

im annoyed ive got to watch the USA sprint shootout on sky go before the match

As a rugby fan I'm not fussed this time as I honestly can't see anything other than a right royal pasting and I'm not a fan of the SA team.

The poison dwarf Faf and the clown director, in particular.
Mrs BoSS and I watched the Ireland/All Blacks and France/South Africa games and came to a similar conclusion.
Brilliant games both of them.

Mind you, having played Union during the 60s I do struggle sometimes with some of the subsequent rule changes.

I'm more than slightly annoyed that this match now clashes with the gig I bought tickets for, way before the KO time was changed.

Fuck off Sky:mad:
This also happened to me, I was so pleased when it got moved to Sunday, but 3pm Saturday would have just about been OK. Absolute cunts.

I remember us playing away at Man City in 1991 at the same time that England were playing Scotland in the RWC semi final. I had a portable TV with a screen the size of a postage stamp, and there must have 25 United fans leaning over, trying to watch it.

United lost 2-3 (Brian Gayle scored two identical headers for us), and England won 9-6. The rugby final the following week clashed with Manchester United away (we lost 0-2, and England lost to Australia).

For completeness, I ought to mention the next game, too. We beat the pigs 2-0 (Whitehouse and Deane). :)

I'm more than slightly annoyed that this match now clashes with the gig I bought tickets for, way before the KO time was changed.

Fuck off Sky:mad:
I was meant to be playing at hatch on harwood street. When I told the promoter he had to changed the venue too.

He was also putting on a matinee the day of the Newcastle match but that had to become a regular evening gig as that’s exactly where all the coaches park

Contemplating just watching the RWC and not travelling. Trains are absolute shit now for late matches and I’m not driving as I need booze to watch games.

Mrs BoSS and I watched the Ireland/All Blacks and France/South Africa games and came to a similar conclusion.
Brilliant games both of them.

Mind you, having played Union during the 60s I do struggle sometimes with some of the subsequent rule changes.
Me too.

I haven't played since the late 80s but without the refs mic'd up and TMO, I'd struggle at times.

Hoping for one of those shocks you occasionally get at the WC and we owe SA one, but sadly I just can't remotely see it.

Rugby World Cup final when we won it a few years ago clashed with Ipswich away. Not a huge problem as it was early morning, but did delay our drive as one of our party wanted to watch it. Seem to remember some Suffolkian nonce in maroon slacks and a slack jaw starting the swing low chariot. Blades fans near me just booed and rightly emphasised that was not suitable for football. Mind you spent night in Bury St Edmunds and met some ex submariners in The Nutshell who’d been on it since 0700 and were still going at 2100, then the landlady down the road asked if we wanted to see her Matty Holland shrine…. Time to hide we thought..
I was at that game. I remember the Ipswich fans singing Swing Low Sweet Chariot, and our retort being that they could stick their effing chariot up their arse.

I really enjoy Sheffield being a rugby Union desert.

On a similar theme, I remember wandering into the TV room at University on the day of the RWC Final in 1991. It was rammed. I was dumbfounded that anyone would want to watch that sport. That was one of my early encounters with public school educated people.

TV Room. Now that brings back memories of when not every sod in the lane owned a TV! Used to always love it at school when the wheeled the TV on the stand in for the class.
It took 2 of them to push it😂

I loved it how it was in a locked cabinet. Like anyone could make a quick getaway with a TV that weighed twice as much as Saturn

There's also England vs South Africa in the Cricket World Cup from the morning onwards that day (though will be long finished before we play)

Surely the last major sporting event one of our fixtures clashed with, was the last time us and Wednesday played on the same day?

There's also England vs South Africa in the Cricket World Cup from the morning onwards that day (though will be long finished before we play)
If it goes the full 50 over, it will be done around 6:30ish. So about 90mins before kick-off

I’d hardly call rugby a major event. Maybe it is big amongst the predators and deviants communities.
I am sure that was a bite seeking post but just so you don’t feel you wasted your time, there are over 2 million active players in England alone. While dwarfed by football not an insignificant number.
Not liking a sport and dismissing its relevance aren’t the same. I hate tennis but it’s still a major sport whatever I think of it.
Returning to Saturday I just hope United lose by less than England do.

TBH. Iam seriously considering the rugby over Dem blades. Because I actually want to enjoy watching sports this Saturday night.
well if you want to enjoy sport, dont watch the rugby then 😄 , id also say dont watch the F1, as it will be an verstappen walkover

maybe the british boxing at the york hall

Back
Top Bottom