When criticising the Blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You hope the owner doesn’t back the manager in January, while the club currently sit bottom of the Premier League with a single point?

We won't sign natural Premier League quality, we won't sign natural Premier League ability, style, class, craft, guile, know how.....call it whatever you like.

So no, there is no point spending anymore.

We run a mile when any other Premier league club so much as looks at one of our targets, indicating that this player probably has ability to do it in the Premier League.

And then we look at Championship players who have done nothing more than be average at Championship level.

Then to top it all we pay massive money for said average Championship player just to try to make the deal happen, because the average Championship player is not all that bothered about leaving his wonderful Championship club and joining Sheffield United even if we're in the Premier League.

This is the image we have projected and revelled in for generations, and it's time it fucking stopped.

I would say start acting like a Premier League club and pay Premier League wages, but it's too late for that now, any more spending and we could end up in big financial trouble.

Less signings of real quality on bigger wages would have been much better than throwing mental transfer fees at a dozen unproven gambles.

Yeah it's obviously coming from above as well but CW has made no secret of his hatred for "big time charlies". I think he's as much a part of the wage structure decisions as the board!

In contrast, Bale (yes, I know, he'd never have joined us) on £300,000pw for one season would cost £1.2m per month. Multiply that by 12 and you're looking at less than £15m for the season. Include all the shirt sales, advertising revenue, global reach etc and you're looking at a much better deal than Rhian Brewster for £23.5m on £20k a week (which is £960,000 a year) for five years. Works out as nearly £35m over the course of the deal.

Again, I know Bale would never have signed for us in my wildest dreams, but when you think about players like Deano...like Martinez...like Lamptey...

But then again, that's a price for one season. CWAK/SB/PA are clearly building a future for the WHOLE CLUB, not just the current team, and I don't think they're scared of a relegation blip along the way. Neither am I, and neither should any of us be. We survived Adkins for crying out loud!

But...It's food for thought.

(AGAIN! I'm not criticising the board, not criticising CWAK and I do believe in Rhian's potential. I'll still be watching if we're back to playing Port Vale in 2/3 seasons...just chewing the fat on a Sunday morning)

UTB
I don’t get your point. You talk about players like Bale but then say we’ve got no chance of signing him. Obviously we haven’t so what’s the point talking about him. Same with Martinez and Deano. Lamptey’s looked good in some games but the last one I watched he was shit and got hooked. Because he’s a young player and young players tend to be inconsistent. Like ours are.

Edit: and ‘big time Charlies’ is unlikely to refer to any player on high wages, just those that think they’re better than they are and don’t put a shift in for the team. It’s the same as ‘spunking money’. It doesn’t mean spending it, it means wasting it on players who aren’t worth it.

I'll be making sure I do not criticise the Prince. I feel sorry for him, I genuinely do.

Berge £24m, Mousset £10m, McBurnie £18m, Ramsdale £20m, Bogle & Lowe £10m, Brewster £23m.

He has trusted and backed Wilder with substantial sums whenever asked.

The outlay has so far not been repaid given that it has not translated into any noticeable improvements on the pitch.
That’s fair criticism right now. We’ve got to be disappointed by the impact of our big signings.

Hopefully time proves it incorrect, and before it’s too late for us.

I don’t get your point. You talk about players like Bale but then say we’ve got no chance of signing him. Obviously we haven’t so what’s the point talking about him. Same with Martinez and Deano. Lamptey’s looked good in some games but the last one I watched he was shit and got hooked. Because he’s a young player and young players tend to be inconsistent. Like ours are.
Was just using Bale as an extreme example to show that sometimes, paying lower wages/higher fees actually works out more expensive than just paying the wages.

My only real point is that it's a much more complex issue than "spend more wages" versus "strict wage structure" and that they're high-level business decisions that are way out the thinking of at least 90% of people on here, so why not just leave it to the people who are there to make them (and have got us to where we are by doing so) and get behind the team.

Just strange seeing so many people at what seems to be the peak of misery, given how absolutely diabolical we were under Adkins only 4/5 years ago!

Was just using Bale as an extreme example to show that sometimes, paying lower wages/higher fees actually works out more expensive than just paying the wages.

My only real point is that it's a much more complex issue than "spend more wages" versus "strict wage structure" and that they're high-level business decisions that are way out the thinking of at least 90% of people on here, so why not just leave it to the people who are there to make them (and have got us to where we are by doing so) and get behind the team.

Just strange seeing so many people at what seems to be the peak of misery, given how absolutely diabolical we were under Adkins only 4/5 years ago!
I’m happy to leave them to it which is why I’m not making claims like Wilder won’t sign players on big money because he doesn’t like them.

I’m happy to leave them to it which is why I’m not making claims like Wilder won’t sign players on big money because he doesn’t like them.
Not making a claim, just repeating what the man himself has said several times!

As a general rule, we don't sign players from foreign leagues so we're almost always likely to be overpaying for players from the Championship.

We have paid over £40m for two ‘strikers’ whose main objective is to chase long ball punts and close down opposition defenders playing out from the back,what a waste !!

Back
Top Bottom