What would have happened if we didn't go up?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
Some will say its not worth thinking about, however I find it intriguing to consider what might have happened if we didn't get promotion, which adds to extra relief/cause for celebration for the fact that we did get promotion this season!

I imagine that:

- Doyle and McAtee would have returned to Man City and be sold/loaned out to other clubs. Cieran Clark also leaves, going back to Newcastle.

- We would have to have sold Ndiaye and Berge and knock-down prices, perhaps getting £20 million for both of them if we were lucky as they are out of contract for the following season and we'd need the money.

- By the same merit, Anel would have to go to for around £10 million at most, and JOC is released to get him off the wage bill.

- There is no takeover and the Prince puts/can put no more money in and the club drifts.

- We have to rely on Sharp, Norwood, Fleck, Stevens and Basham for yet another season.

- Heckingbottom keeps his job for the time being, but is given next to no transfer budget, and after a disappointing start he is sacked before Christmas and replaced by McCall.

What do you think? Is that too gloomy or quite realistic?

I would have woken up in the shower and remembered that I was the heir to the Branson fortune, and all this rubbish about a poxy little northern football club was just a mature cheddar induced hallucination.

Then we go into administration only to be saved by McCabe.

Some will say its not worth thinking about, however I find it intriguing to consider what might have happened if we didn't get promotion, which adds to extra relief/cause for celebration for the fact that we did get promotion this season!

I imagine that:

- Doyle and McAtee would have returned to Man City and be sold/loaned out to other clubs. Cieran Clark also leaves, going back to Newcastle.

- We would have to have sold Ndiaye and Berge and knock-down prices, perhaps getting £20 million for both of them if we were lucky as they are out of contract for the following season and we'd need the money.

- By the same merit, Anel would have to go to for around £10 million at most, and JOC is released to get him off the wage bill.

- There is no takeover and the Prince puts/can put no more money in and the club drifts.

- We have to rely on Sharp, Norwood, Fleck, Stevens and Basham for yet another season.

- Heckingbottom keeps his job for the time being, but is given next to no transfer budget, and after a disappointing start he is sacked before Christmas and replaced by McCall.

I know we got promoted and i should be happy but lets pretend we didnt and list all the shit things that could have happened obviously exagerating how bad they could have got just so i can have a good old moan up and be misrable

I imagine that:

Some of your predictions might happen even though we have gone up!

I imagine that:

Probably not far off the truth although I think we would raise more in sales.

I think the prince would have picked himself to play up top, ended up being really good and we sell him to Newcastle. They don’t pay a fee because it’s the king of Saudis orders so we have no owner, no top striker & go bust

It's worth considering because it makes promotion taste even sweeter. It's a lifesaver for the football club. Things can still go wrong, there are important decisions ahead. However, being back in the EPL is to use an overused word 'massive'. Also think of all those fans of other clubs who seem to hate us. You pick it up on Roy's view from, 'horrible club', 'horrible fans' etc. I do feel it felt 'bigger' under Wilder. However, this promotion is probably more important for the financial well-being of the club.

I imagine that:

Go for a long walk or just sit in the open. You will feel much better !!

I imagine that:

Jog on to Ukraine where you can enjoy some real misery.

After a long dry summer on the eve of the championship curtain raiser…….
The pigeon population have been usurped by vultures(European)which circle the Lane.
Players and staff have turned to cannibalism,hunting each other in the waist high grass.
Billy appeals for calm but Fleck bites his legs,Jacky smells blood and driven by primitive instinct lunges in,
there’s a free for all.
P.A watches from the stand slightly troubled but seeing the wage bill slashed in Such savage style makes good business sense.
Hecky does his presser and says there’s a few in the treatment room.💀

Smaller squad
Most of the out of contract players left
Academy players filling up squad numbers
No fertiliser or paint available
Under soil heating turned off

Close stadium.
Sell plot to McCabe for student accommodation.
Shoot the Prince.
Go on holiday.

And was Elvis a Blade?

It would have been (straight off Bullet Train)

“3 Words - We are Fucked”

I imagine that:

Rene Descartes
Albert Einstien
Karl Marx
John Stuart Mill
Charles Darwin
FM Blade

I've thought for a few week that however this season turned out - we were probably in a relegation scrap next season. The article in the Time today does not paint us in a good light at all - there seems to be a complete lack of business governance at all levels at the lane - we are haemorrhaging cash, with no apparent fix.

The PL cash is a sticking plaster over that, and will see us avoid admin you would expect - but it wont solve what appear to be the structural issues present in the club.

Plus - we may not be in for quite as much cash as we expect - if (as I think i heard) we took loans out against the parachute payments, and we now won`t receive the 20% Year 3 payment, then we've already effectively had, and spent, that cash.

Couple that with our two most sellable assets being a year away from walking on a free - this does not paint a pretty picture for if we are relegated next season.

I've thought for a few week that however this season turned out - we were probably in a relegation scrap next season. The article in the Time today does not paint us in a good light at all - there seems to be a complete lack of business governance at all levels at the lane - we are haemorrhaging cash, with no apparent fix.

The PL cash is a sticking plaster over that, and will see us avoid admin you would expect - but it wont solve what appear to be the structural issues present in the club.

Plus - we may not be in for quite as much cash as we expect - if (as I think i heard) we took loans out against the parachute payments, and we now won`t receive the 20% Year 3 payment, then we've already effectively had, and spent, that cash.

Couple that with our two most sellable assets being a year away from walking on a free - this does not paint a pretty picture for if we are relegated next season.

The question matters because I strongly suspect the Prince was sailing our club ridiculously close to the wind.

And I quite like having a football club to follow. We need new ownership.

Looking back at this knowing what we know now, it would have been a catastrophe, probably not on Southend level but not far off, maybe like Portsmouth. All out of contract players would have been released with pretty much all other players transfer listed going for fractions of their true worth.

I'm actually quite angry that this became a real possibility, and although we did make it in the end it shouldn't distract from the absolute reckless mismanagement of our club. I didn't actually really enjoy our promotion, it was more of a relief of what had to happen.

Chris 'I'd never put the future of the club in jeopardy' Wilder.

If that's true, he seems to have had a similar approach to Harry Redknapp at Portsmouth, maxed out the spend then jumped ship before things were going south.

If that's true, he seems to have had a similar approach to Harry Redknapp at Portsmouth, maxed out the spend then jumped ship before things were going south.
It's a direct quote from him...

Prior to it becoming brand wilder and him wanting expensive players.

There was a myriad of problems, but one of them being that Wilder had far too much power and influence. Yes he did extremely well to get us up to the PL but that meant he believed he was untouchable so whatever he wanted he got.

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I imagine that:

Administration

Looking back at this knowing what we know now, it would have been a catastrophe, probably not on Southend level but not far off, maybe like Portsmouth. All out of contract players would have been released with pretty much all other players transfer listed going for fractions of their true worth.

I'm actually quite angry that this became a real possibility, and although we did make it in the end it shouldn't distract from the absolute reckless mismanagement of our club. I didn't actually really enjoy our promotion, it was more of a relief of what had to happen.
Doesn't matter. We got promoted.

He did exactly what he said he wouldn't do as soon as he got the cash. Of course, it's very easy to make statements like he did as the club had nothing to spend at the time.

There's a few managers that are far better when they have nothing to spend and have to work on a shoestring. I think the last few years of Wilder's career have proved that he is another to fall into that category.

Hecky is also now being forced to work on a relative shoestring for the level we are at. I would have more confidence in him spending a bigger budget much more wisely than Wilder did. His openness to looking abroad for bargains and not accepting the English premium as the only option is evidence of that.

Looking back on some of the money we have wasted since that first promotion is frightening. The players we have brought in this season already seem to be far better value even if they won't be enough to keep us up. It sounds absurd to say but unfortunately thats where the financial mismanagement over the last few years has left us.

Back
Top Bottom