What will they do about the big money 4 ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Berge - needs to start pulling rabbits out of hats. It's not good enough having cameo roles and showing odd flashes of capability. His pace and sharpness is a disappointment as is his contribution to pressing and dispossessing the opposition - the defensive midfielder's stock in trade. You can see he has something - just 'what' is the mystery. Since he has been here and in all the games he has played, he has been nowhere near MotM material, whenhis size-stature and style suggests he could and should be our version of Matic, who oppositions fear playing against. But it's not the case. He's more flair than fire and only then when it seems he has the wind blowing in his hair. I'd like to see him complete ninety with his kit filthy and having bossed an opposition's midfield out of the game. But on recent showings, that's unlikely. I don't think we can afford to have such a liability playing for us. Get shot in the summer and buy a midfielder who has the qualities we need - and we can rely on to impose and create from deep.

McBurnie - I feel we are past the point of no return with him. Clearly he is (or has been) a decent footballer but for what I have seen of late he tend to think he has a universal role in the upper reaches of the pitch and in that, he's not effective at all. Someone mentioned Forest might be interested in him ... but they have Lewis Grabban, a veteran pain in the arse for everyone not on his side. McBurnie needs to be more like Grabban, a grafter, an opportunist and a goalscorer. But I don't think he is part of what we are now. Sell in the summer.

Brewster - nice to see some confidence and maturity bleeding through now for him. Whether Lester or Billy have had a dad-talk with him we won't know but all he has to do now is be more Jermaine Defoe about his chances and stick them away. It was easy to say get rid a bit back because he seemed so far away from a start, let alone a late sub. But I am pleased with his development and understanding of what we do. The midfield however have a duty to find him and put him through. Norwood's ball forward was just that yesterday. You could see Burke was in trouble as soon as the ball left Norwood's foot and he had one option only to put Brewster on the deck. He does however have to put at least five goals in in teh rest of the season for me to be convinced of him staying.

Moussett - get rid. Fucking useless and a waste of a wage. Never finished ninety and never will. Two goals vs Barnsley doesn't make him indispensable, neither does the 'whay, he scored six in t'first Premier Season'. Three seasons of fat-boy antics and 'injuries' and off the pitch idiocy means he's history to me.

pommpey

Berge - needs to start pulling rabbits out of hats. It's not good enough having cameo roles and showing odd flashes of capability. His pace and sharpness is a disappointment as is his contribution to pressing and dispossessing the opposition - the defensive midfielder's stock in trade. You can see he has something - just 'what' is the mystery. Since he has been here and in all the games he has played, he has been nowhere near MotM material, whenhis size-stature and style suggests he could and should be our version of Matic,
I think that’s a bit of a lazy comparison based purely on size. His style has never remotely suggested Matic.

Perhaps a better comparison is Fabinho, and I think that’s the type of player he will develop into. Its also probably why Liverpool were interested in him.

Whether we have a need for that style of player is a different matter. The answer is probably not. But I have no doubt, provided he fully recovers from that horrific injury, he will be a success somewhere else, and I think it will be at a higher level than we’re at.

Last edited:
I think that’s a bit of a lazy comparison based purely on size. His style has never remotely suggested Matic.

Perhaps a better comparison is Fabinho, and I think that’s the type of player he will develop into. Its also probably why Liverpool were interested in him.

Whether we have a need for that style of player is a different matter. The answer is probably not. But I have no doubt, provided he fully recovers from that horrific injury, he will be a success somewhere else, and I think it will be at a higher level than we’re at.

A midfielder of his size and stature should, on paper be the enforcer Matic was for Chelsea and Man U. He came here with DM on his tag, so being the deep lying playmaker and counter-attack buster is what I would expect from him. Given Norwood was being frequently ripped up for arsepaper by marauding midfields I would say that is exactly what we needed. Fleck is no good. Tough tackler, but he can't impose because of his stature. And Lundstram was just playing with the shit in his nappy.

However Berge isn't a great challenger, either on the deck or in the air. All we are left with is him being part of a three player passing triangle out wide. Bogle makes more advances on goal than he does.

pommpey

It's disingenuous to compare Mcburnie and Brewster as he's had 18 months longer to show us what he can do compared to Brewster. Thankfully Brewster appears to be improving whereas Mcburnie continues to disappoint when he's available to play. Sharp and Mcgoldrick may well be woeful in your opinion but at least they're both regularly available for selection.
He’s had a bad run of injuries, look at McGoldricks injury record he struggled for years until he came to us. Players have tough times in their career which McBurnie has had, he’s also had to do a lot of growing up too! He came to us adored by Swansea for what he did for them on the pitch.

He’s wasn’t 2nd highest goal scorer last time he was in the championship for no reason & there’s a reason why other premiership clubs were interested in him when we signed him, plus if you believe what you read Premiership clubs were interested in him in the summer too.

The one season he’s been fit he scored some decent goals, won us some games and looked the player we paid big money for at times.

A fit McBurnie can do us good, he’s a still young. If our strike force is made up of McBurnie, Brewster, Sharp & Jebbison next season I would take that.

You’re entitled to your opinion though, many will have given up on him hopefully he comes back fighting and proves the doubters wrong like Brewster is

A midfielder of his size and stature should, on paper be the enforcer Matic was for Chelsea and Man U. He came here with DM on his tag, so being the deep lying playmaker and counter-attack buster is what I would expect from him. Given Norwood was being frequently ripped up for arsepaper by marauding midfields I would say that is exactly what we needed. Fleck is no good. Tough tackler, but he can't impose because of his stature. And Lundstram was just playing with the shit in his nappy.

However Berge isn't a great challenger, either on the deck or in the air. All we are left with is him being part of a three player passing triangle out wide. Bogle makes more advances on goal than he does.

pommpey
He didn’t play in Matic’s style at his previous clubs so I don’t understand why anyone would have expected that when he came to us. As I said, more in the mould of Fabinho. If we had wanted someone to play the role you have described (and I don’t disagree) then that’s what we should have bought, but we didn’t. That doesn’t make Berge a poor player by any means. Just not the Bob Booker type that our fans like to idolise. He’ll be very successful elsewhere, depending how well he recovers, physically and psychologically, from that injury.

Size & stature has nothing to do with it, hence my comment that Matic is a lazy comparison.

He’s had a bad run of injuries, look at McGoldricks injury record he struggled for years until he came to us. Players have tough times in their career which McBurnie has had, he’s also had to do a lot of growing up too! He came to us adored by Swansea for what he did for them on the pitch.

He’s wasn’t 2nd highest goal scorer last time he was in the championship for no reason & there’s a reason why other premiership clubs were interested in him when we signed him, plus if you believe what you read Premiership clubs were interested in him in the summer too.

The one season he’s been fit he scored some decent goals, won us some games and looked the player we paid big money for at times.

A fit McBurnie can do us good, he’s a still young. If our strike force is made up of McBurnie, Brewster, Sharp & Jebbison next season I would take that.

You’re entitled to your opinion though, many will have given up on him hopefully he comes back fighting and proves the doubters wrong like Brewster is
He should be at his absolute peak atm but his brilliant header against Leicester apart, he's been average at best. I hope he comes good and I'm back on here eating humble pie but just don't see it.

I would guess the plan would be to keep Brewster and offload the other 3 either in a vastly reduced fee or loans to save on there wages, next season the relegation payment reduces by 20 million, so I guess the wage bill will have to reduce by at least 20 million next season

Berge: Has never fit into the way we play. Still doesn't really. I think you tray and sell him to a European club for something approaching 10 million.

Mousset - Release in summer. Encourage out the door this window. He can go on a free. Save the wages

McBurnie - If we get a good offer £5 million plus, take it. I think he's done. Doesn't really fit into how we play and has looked lightweight and scuffs so many shots. He could come good but his off the pitch antics don't strike me as hopeful. Doesn't seem focused on the football. If nothing this window then try and build him up and improve him into a Billy replacement.

Brewster - Improving with every game. I think if we have a £10 million plus offer we have to sell but otherwise see how far he can go.

Not a chance we are giving Mcburnie away for peanuts. Don't forget we'd have to replace him, and strikers cost money (big money if they are any good). The time to judge him is now. The past couple of seasons he's had zero service, but that should change now with N'Diaye and MGW. Our 3 strikers next season should be Mcburnie, Brewster and Jebbison (maybe add Sharp to that if he's willing to accept vastly reduced terms and a coaching role). Mousse we will have to cut our losses on in the summer. Probably our best striker, but he just seems to refuse to be professional, and had had more than enough chances. The big problem we have is Berge, I just cannot see how he fits into our system. The longer he stays with us the more his value goes down. I'd be looking to get him out on loan to a foreign club in a decent league (I think either France, Italy or Spain would suit his style), and hope he increases his value that way. At the minute I honestly think we'd struggle to get more than 6 or 7 million for him, and I assume we owe more than that on him.

Things are not looking bright for most of our big money signings ,although on the other hand had they all hit the hights that were expected of them when they came we wouldn't have had a season like the last one,, ..
It's a shame it ended the way it did but it was great while it lasted, so let's just hope the club has learned a lot from the experience and who knows, maybe the good times are just around the corner ,

That's Football folks, and why we love it ........ 👍 ,

One thing's for sure, Billy is past it as a 90 minute player at this level. He's struggling to make any impact in open play at all.

McGoldrick, well.

Back
Top Bottom