Match Thread West Ham United v. Sheffield United - 26th Oct 19

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

WHU
WHU
WHU

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
So after the magnificent result and performance on Monday against Arsenal it's time to take on London opposition once again this afternoon. This time with the trip to West Ham. After good early season form, they seem to have lost their way somewhat, particular in the last 2 league games, where they have apparently been poor. However they have a very talented squad, and an excellent manager. Question is whether they'll be up for it as much as our lads where confidence is high, and perhaps increasing. Very difficult match to predict, but their fans don't seem overly confident....

But anyway...

Any team news? :)

Presumably we go with what started against Arsenal?

But we do need the same options again from the the bench IMO.

I'm thinking if we match the intensity of Monday's performance we should be able to get a positive result. However can that been done to the same level so relatively soon. Knowing CW, I think so, but this is no easy game. If we score, I think it will be Mousset. But I have a feeling our defence will lead the way in this game as it were, and secure a somewhat drab 0-0. That'd do for me, and we remain unbeaten away.

Safe journey all.

UTB

Agreed - so rarely see Rice’s Reaction. Paid them far too much respect first half but still had the better chances. Second half we went for it, left ourselves a bit open but Hendo was superb. More confidence / quality in front of goal and we win. Stupid by Billy though with time wasting on corners when all 3 CBs in the box and West Ham known to concede late goals.

7th though (lowest we can drop too is 11th after weekend) and unbeaten away from home after quarter of season gone - phenomenal.

I’ll be over to see Burnley game and....
still hoping some kind soul has a spare Spurs ticket (as per my separate post / plea in “Tickets...” forum section)

UTB ⚔️

Isn’t it less than 1% of corners are scored from, and we’ve been shitter than most over the past few years as anyone who followed it on twitter can tell you. Youre also most vulnerable to counter attacks from a corner so I don’t have a problem with us seeing out a game in injury time by keeping the ball rather than swinging it in.

Isn’t it less than 1% of corners are scored from, and we’ve been shitter than most over the past few years as anyone who followed it on twitter can tell you. Youre also most vulnerable to counter attacks from a corner so I don’t have a problem with us seeing out a game in injury time by keeping the ball rather than swinging it in.

3% is the average.

What a finish from moose. Got better with every replay. Makes you wish he could play for 90 minutes.
I really felt that we could and should have gone for all three points in the second half.
Disappointment was Robinson for me. Slow and sulky.
overall one point was good away from home though. Very happy days.

There’ll be some games when we just don’t play well and things don’t click. First half was example of that, second half better but still far off our best.

It’s hard if Norwood isn’t on his game because we depend a lot on that. And he just wasn’t at the races today.

The glaring gap is that more quality is needed up front. We had good chances to win that, but cool heads are needed to convert when the chances come along. Baldock should have scored 2 from what I saw. And in Robinson’s case, it wasn’t so much about having a cool head as not having one that’s shaped like a 50 pence piece!

Very happy with a point though - think it was fair result.

I've come to accept that McGoldrick will not score for us in the Premier League but I accept that as he is worth so much more with everything else that he brings and does. He is an invaluable part of the team and we look worse without him. Let's face it, he missed a bagload of sitters last season but got away with it as he got 4-5 chances per game. In the top flight you might get 2 chances and you have to put at least 1 away.

What I can't abide by is McBurnie trotting about making 0 effort to win the ball back when we're defending, and Robinson looking like a deer in headlights every time he pulls on a shirt. There's still time to get something from them, but I'm not sure what and I'm personally not convinced by either. Callum is not a striker, and this is not his fault. He's a winger, but we don't play with wingers. Wilder obviously bought him for his pace, as we were lacking up front, but he seems reluctant to use it as he's off the pace in reading the game, positioning and getting himself involved. He's like a fish out of water playing up front. Maybe he'd be better suited off the bench if we switch to 3 up front, with him playing as one of the two wider strikers.

I can't wait for a fully fit Mousset to get going. 3 in 7 which should be 4 in 7 had the Chelsea goal not been marked down as an og. What a signing. For how few chances he actually gets makes it all the more impressive.

I'm not happy with the performance today, but you can't knock the result. What a week for the Blades, Mousset and the fans.

First half was pretty poor and we conceded far too much possession by making poor decisions and not looking after the ball when we had it. Nothing stuck up front, midfielders passing wasn’t accurate and were fannying about at the back.

2nd half we went on the front foot and looked loads better, the switch to playing 5-2-1-2 when Mousset came on brought a lot more attacking threat, as did the personnel on in forward positions.

Both teams missed chances and the draw was a fair result for me.

Sitters from McGoldrick and Robinson, 2 chances for Baldock.

We got punished for a mistake (again) with Basham getting caught out of position. Snodgrass always scores against us!

Not downhearted at all as it’s another good point at a ground I wouldn’t expect any.

UTB

If Robinson is scared of pulling his hamstring after a big injury, get him with the physios until Christmas working on feeling comfortable on it, and get him in the gym too to bulk up. We won't miss him as it stands.

He is currently slower than McGoldrick, who isn't rapid and that's a major part of his game.

Another typical lazy BBC reporter who hasn't done their homework and still thinks we play long ball under Warnock.
View attachment 63228

I think the irony here is more that that’s what Pellegrini accused us off beforehand (so it’s ironic they scored that way) rather than what the reporter thinks? I know on sky sports Charlie Nicholas said that Pellegrini had misjudged us saying we were direct etc? :)

Decent performance that. We rode our luck at times, but with some better finishing would have had a couple of goals in that first half. The Robinson effort was odd – it was quiet throughout in the West Ham end (horrible stadium for football, containing a shell of a football club), but there was the biggest delayed reaction to what our fans thought was a goal. Their goal, against the run of play, was yet another we can chalk up to being completely avoidable.

The big moment was moving McGoldrick into something more like the Duffy role. We got better possession further forward, and ultimately this led to the fully-deserved goal.

My thoughts from the home end;

Henderson - 8. Potentially our best player. The conditions weren't great out there, but his handling was spot on. He came for crosses, stood up & made some good saves.

Baldock - 6. Defensively sound. In possession, really poor today. We work him into some great positions but he is then so wasteful with it. We need improvement in that area. I still think he can improve & be the player we need him to be. But if he fails, maybe next Summer it's one we look at.

Basham - 6. Caught out for the goal (I think?), but outside of this was pretty solid. He still looks clumsy in possession & he wasn't able to get forward as much today, but he's doing a lot better than I thought he would this season.

Egan - 7. He's so consistent at the moment. Made some crucial blocks, won things in the air & used it pretty well.

O'Connell - 8. Defensively Stevens wasn't at his best today. They got in behind him on numerous occasions. O'Connell covered for him & dealt with absolutely everything. The West Ham fans around me were also impressed.

Stevens - 6. Defensively not at it. Got caught out positionally a few times. With the ball he was better.

Lundstram - 8. Box to box, getting a foot in, using the ball well. Sneaks our motm. What an improvement. Its not all just industry & athleticism with him. There were some moments of creation & real quality too.

Norwood - 5. He seemed exposed today. He had men running beyond him & he didn't seem able to keep up. In possession he got caught a lot & he didn't seem to want the ball as much as normal. Maybe exhausted from Monday where he put a big shift in.

Fleck - 6. He was poor first half. Much better in the 2nd half. I wish he'd take a few more risks sometimes though. I want him to be a guy that can create something from nothing. I want him to drive into the box, take shots from outside, try flicks... his potential is plain to see. He needs to believe in himself more.

Robinson - 3. Just didn't contribute positively again. We looked much better when he was pulled. He sulked when West Ham played a triangle around him. He missed a sitter. I can't work out what he brings.

McGoldrick - 7. He contributes so much to this team. Thought he put a good shift in today. Shame he couldn't sort his feet out for the chance, but it wasn't an easy one. The ball was behind him.

SUBS:
Mousset - 8. Everything Robinson isn't. He looks lively. He looks a threat. He has electric pace. He's direct. His desire impresses me. He made a lung busting run 2nd half (similar to the one at Everton) which got us up the field when pressure had been on us. Such an asset. Wilder's using him brilliantly at the moment.

Sharp - 6. He chased, he came deep, used the ball pretty well. A disallowed goal which would have been a typical Billy Sharp tap in. He leads & gives the team a lift when he comes on.

Besic - 6. Have to confess, I didn't notice much of his work from up high. But did see him put his foot in a few times.

I think the irony here is more that that’s what Pellegrini accused us off beforehand (so it’s ironic they scored that way) rather than what the reporter thinks? I know on sky sports Charlie Nicholas said that Pellegrini had misjudged us saying we were direct etc? :)

To someone who's a Spanish speaker and managed teams in Spain for many years, "direct" football does not have the connotations it does in England with its Wimbledon/John Beck image.

"Direct" football just means a team that like to get the ball from back to front quickly. Real Madrid get called direct.

My thoughts from the home end;

Henderson - 8. Potentially our best player. The conditions weren't great out there, but his handling was spot on. He came for crosses, stood up & made some good saves.

Baldock - 6. Defensively sound. In possession, really poor today. We work him into some great positions but he is then so wasteful with it. We need improvement in that area. I still think he can improve & be the player we need him to be. But if he fails, maybe next Summer it's one we look at.

Basham - 6. Caught out for the goal (I think?), but outside of this was pretty solid. He still looks clumsy in possession & he wasn't able to get forward as much today, but he's doing a lot better than I thought he would this season.

Egan - 7. He's so consistent at the moment. Made some crucial blocks, won things in the air & used it pretty well.

O'Connell - 8. Defensively Stevens wasn't at his best today. They got in behind him on numerous occasions. O'Connell covered for him & dealt with absolutely everything. The West Ham fans around me were also impressed.

Stevens - 6. Defensively not at it. Got caught out positionally a few times. With the ball he was better.

Lundstram - 8. Box to box, getting a foot in, using the ball well. Sneaks our motm. What an improvement. Its not all just industry & athleticism with him. There were some moments of creation & real quality too.

Norwood - 5. He seemed exposed today. He had men running beyond him & he didn't seem able to keep up. In possession he got caught a lot & he didn't seem to want the ball as much as normal. Maybe exhausted from Monday where he put a big shift in.

Fleck - 6. He was poor first half. Much better in the 2nd half. I wish he'd take a few more risks sometimes though. I want him to be a guy that can create something from nothing. I want him to drive into the box, take shots from outside, try flicks... his potential is plain to see. He needs to believe in himself more.

Robinson - 3. Just didn't contribute positively again. We looked much better when he was pulled. He sulked when West Ham played a triangle around him. He missed a sitter. I can't work out what he brings.

McGoldrick - 7. He contributes so much to this team. Thought he put a good shift in today. Shame he couldn't sort his feet out for the chance, but it wasn't an easy one. The ball was behind him.

SUBS:
Mousset - 8. Everything Robinson isn't. He looks lively. He looks a threat. He has electric pace. He's direct. His desire impresses me. He made a lung busting run 2nd half (similar to the one at Everton) which got us up the field when pressure had been on us. Such an asset. Wilder's using him brilliantly at the moment.

Sharp - 6. He chased, he came deep, used the ball pretty well. A disallowed goal which would have been a typical Billy Sharp tap in. He leads & gives the team a lift when he comes on.

Besic - 6. Have to confess, I didn't notice much of his work from up high. But did see him put his foot in a few times.

Besic had the sublime and the ridiculous today. At one point he just ran away from a pass and a Spammer just took it and made a chance I think. He'd played it to Baldock and Baldock wanted the 1-2, but Besic just buggered off.

The sublime was a little run up the right, took on a couple of men with good feet and was relatively quick too, which I hadn't seen previously.

Team played poorly today - got a point- so it's an awesome point- well done Blades.

But....

Oh my God - For me Robinson was total dogshit today..

He's half hearted, he never ever lays a glove on the opposition, he pretends to close down but eases up in the last few yards - ineffectual. That performance he gave today was annoying I wanted him off after 20 mins. Goldy and Mousetrap were both a couple of levels above.

MOM Lunny- he has become a world beater, not sure how hes done it but soooooo glad for him and us.

West Ham fans must be gutted moving from a proper atmospheric ground to that soulless bowl. Even “Bubbles” was poor but why a song about sucking a monkey off gets sung at football l’ll never know.....

Anyone in the upper tier see the Paddy Dingle/Greg Wallace lookalike lose it when we scored? Pointing and screaming “you, you, you at someone?

One hell of a piss take of a day thanks to a bit of rain. Two flood diversions. Traffic delays. Train cancellations. Missed the first 10 minutes.

Probably our worst defensive performance of the season. Fortunate to get a point. We were bound to get caught and concede at some point when trying for the HT 0-0. It was due to happen. Probably not bad timing though actually.

Worst away stadium ever. "You're not West Ham anymore"..... Empty Shell FC. They're absolutely dripping with apathy.

The pretend bad boys on our left were entertaining first half. Was sweet when Mousset's goal went in. What a ratio he's got now. And what a finish.

Good subs from Wilder by the way.

The trio of Sharp, McGoldrick and Mousset is a really good one.

Back
Top Bottom