2022/2023 Match Thread West Bromwich Albion v. Sheffield United - 29th October 2022

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

WES
WES
WES

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1666642251531.png vs. 1666642260150.png

Championship Week 18 - Saturday 29th October 2022 - 12:30 - The Hawthornes
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/west-bromwich-albion-vs-sheffield-united.622/

Officials:

Referee: TBC
Assistant Referee: TBC
Assistant Referee: TBC
Fourth Official: TBC

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1666642171967.png

📺
Live TV Coverage (to be updated):

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2022-10-24 at 21.10.02.png

Great result, happy with that. Front 2 were class,I thought, McBurnie great at both ends Ndaiye mom. .midfield were sound, special mention for Doyle, put in a right shift, great ball for Baldock to square it.. Back lads did their job along with wingbacks George and Osborn who was up against Phillips did well, had his hands full but stuck to it.
Only thing, I thought we could have looked after possession better 2nd half..UTB!

Best performance since Blackburn at home, a great win today.

Anyone know how long until the full replays are up on SUTV? Thought it was a 3pm Kick Off today so made plans.... Sat down to watch and saw the result. Bollocks.

We might only have two fit players left, but that is a big win.

Sure, people will say WBA were bad but we pressed them from kick-off and never gave them any peace. Great marking up at the back frustrated them and gave them nowhere to go. Ndiaye calm for his goal and great finish from McBurnie. That was a real hard and tough 3 points.

Davies - 6 - Came and missed for one early on and dropped one, which he recovered from. Otherwise, fairly solid. Made a few solid saves in bad conditions and got punches to a few crosses to help us out.
Osborn - 8 - MoM for me. Was left exposed all afternoon and blocked most crosses against Phillips. Also got forward well as well. Kept going and going.
Basham - 7 - Bit shaky first half but grew into the game. Made one vital recovery tackle after losing his running. Looked to get out quickly whenever he could
Egan - 7.5 - Almost played us into danger with a short pass to Anel but did well covering all game.
Anel - 7 - Bit awkward first half but improved with the game. Needs to get rid quicker at times
Baldock - 7 - Did really well to set up the first and kept going all afternoon. Worrying he came off. Hopefully just a precaution for midweek.
Fleck - 5 - One free kick aside, I thought he was poor. Coming back to fitness but gave Osborn very little cover and looked flow getting up and back. Will hopefully improve with minutes.
Norwood - 7 - Got his foot in several times and very quick to react to break up play. Loses a point for his inability to hit the target with several shots.
Doyle - 7 - Put in a shift today and it was a great ball to Baldock for the first. Kept buzzing around to the end.
Ndiaye - 7.5 - Calmly took his goal and almost had another. Lots of trickery and guile and put a great defensive shift in as well
McBurnie - 7 - I thought he struggled to win balls in the air first half but was great defending corners for us. Superb finish for the goal but looked shagged after 60 minutes. We needed his height plus injuries so couldn't take him off.

Subs

Brewster - 6 - Ran around a bit but hardly saw the ball before doing his hamstring. Looks like he'll be out until after the WC
Sharp - 5 - Thought he was poor when he came on. Needed to do more defensively as McBurnie could hardly move. Didn't hold the ball up and daft at the end not to keep the ball.
Robinson - 6 - Good to see him back and those throws. Thought he looked rusty but will need to be start next game you'd think.
Stevens - 5 - Again, good to see him back but looked off the speed.

Hecky - 8 - Started with the line-up I'd have picked and set them up really well. High pressing from the start and WBA has no response really. Bit heart in the mouth near the end but unsurprising with all the changes. Going to struggle to fill the bench in midweek. The WC can't come soon enough.

WBA - They looked like a team lacking confidence. Had no answer to the high press and we stopped them using their pace.
I don't think any of their players had a good game.
Might seem harsh but Brewster hasn't looked up to speed at all. I doubt he'll be missed in his current form. I'd rather Khadra be the go to option in those circumstances. Could be a match winner against Bristol City. He'll probably be better as a second striker or in a more free role so hopefully he gets some minutes. Just what the Bristol City centre backs don't want.

Anel is a blow but Basham should be better at RCB and good to have Robbo back. The defence will have better balance and his long throws and his aggression from set plays can be a bonus.

Get Clark on the bench so you have good cover with him and Enda. McAtee, Khadra, Sharp and get Arblaster in there. It would be good to have some midfield legs there. Probably the reason when Fleck came off they N'Diaye had to drop back.

Last edited:
Might seem harsh but Brewster hasn't looked up to speed at all. I doubt hell be missed in his current form. I'd rather Khadra be the go to option in those circumstances. Could be a match winner against Bristol City. He'll probably be better as a second striker or in a more free role so hopefully he gets some minutes. Just what the Bristol City centre backs don't want.

Anel is a blow but Basham should be better at RCB and good to have Robbo back. The defence will have better balance and his long throws and his aggression from set plays can be a bonus.

Get Clark on the bench so you have good cover with him and Enda. McAtee, Khadra, Sharp and get Arblaster in there. It would be good to have some midfield legs there. Probably the reason when Fleck came off they N'Diaye had to drop back.

I assume Brewster was brought on today to run the channels and move us up the pitch but he just doesn't seem to be able to do the basics. I really don't get it. Not a difficult thing to do against slow tiring defenders. help tackling back, as soon as we get the ball run the channels. I get what you mean re Khadra but for me he's shown nothing to suggest he'd do well at that role. His ball retention is poor and we needed to keep the ball or win free kicks/throw ins.

Completely forgot about Clark. Hopefully he'll make the bench. Means we don't have Gordon there, but if Bash isn't fit we'll have to go with Gordon. We really are missing another midfielder. Expecting Ndiaye to drop deeper and cover is hardly a great choice, both in the sense we overwork him and the fact he's not the best at tackling. I think we need to give Arblaster a go from the bench, however much of a risk it is. If we lose Ndiaye, that's our goose fairly cooked. As it is, I doubt he'll be able to do more than 60 on Tuesday. I doubt McBurnie will be able to do that.

Well done to those 2000+ Blades that made short trip to The Hawthorns. You could only hear them this lunchtime because those Baggies fans were so pissed off with how poor they were. Well worth the journey.

We might only have two fit players left, but that is a big win.

Sure, people will say WBA were bad but we pressed them from kick-off and never gave them any peace. Great marking up at the back frustrated them and gave them nowhere to go. Ndiaye calm for his goal and great finish from McBurnie. That was a real hard and tough 3 points.

Davies - 6 - Came and missed for one early on and dropped one, which he recovered from. Otherwise, fairly solid. Made a few solid saves in bad conditions and got punches to a few crosses to help us out.
Osborn - 8 - MoM for me. Was left exposed all afternoon and blocked most crosses against Phillips. Also got forward well as well. Kept going and going.
Basham - 7 - Bit shaky first half but grew into the game. Made one vital recovery tackle after losing his running. Looked to get out quickly whenever he could
Egan - 7.5 - Almost played us into danger with a short pass to Anel but did well covering all game.
Anel - 7 - Bit awkward first half but improved with the game. Needs to get rid quicker at times
Baldock - 7 - Did really well to set up the first and kept going all afternoon. Worrying he came off. Hopefully just a precaution for midweek.
Fleck - 5 - One free kick aside, I thought he was poor. Coming back to fitness but gave Osborn very little cover and looked flow getting up and back. Will hopefully improve with minutes.
Norwood - 7 - Got his foot in several times and very quick to react to break up play. Loses a point for his inability to hit the target with several shots.
Doyle - 7 - Put in a shift today and it was a great ball to Baldock for the first. Kept buzzing around to the end.
Ndiaye - 7.5 - Calmly took his goal and almost had another. Lots of trickery and guile and put a great defensive shift in as well
McBurnie - 7 - I thought he struggled to win balls in the air first half but was great defending corners for us. Superb finish for the goal but looked shagged after 60 minutes. We needed his height plus injuries so couldn't take him off.

Subs

Brewster - 6 - Ran around a bit but hardly saw the ball before doing his hamstring. Looks like he'll be out until after the WC
Sharp - 5 - Thought he was poor when he came on. Needed to do more defensively as McBurnie could hardly move. Didn't hold the ball up and daft at the end not to keep the ball.
Robinson - 6 - Good to see him back and those throws. Thought he looked rusty but will need to be start next game you'd think.
Stevens - 5 - Again, good to see him back but looked off the speed.

Hecky - 8 - Started with the line-up I'd have picked and set them up really well. High pressing from the start and WBA has no response really. Bit heart in the mouth near the end but unsurprising with all the changes. Going to struggle to fill the bench in midweek. The WC can't come soon enough.

WBA - They looked like a team lacking confidence. Had no answer to the high press and we stopped them using their pace.
I don't think any of their players had a good game.
Davies 5
Osborne 6.5
Bash 6
Egan 6
Anel 6
Baldock 7.5
Fleck 3
Norwood 6
Doyle 7.5
Ndiaye 8
Oli Mac 8

Brewdog - n/a
Robbo - 6
Stevens - 6
Sharp - 4

Hecky 6.5

WBA - 4 but we made them look 6 for long periods

End of the day that isn't unexpected. After setting up a good lead we were happy for them to have the ball and create nothing.
But why? we improved worse after our 2nd goal - we looked rubbish re ball control , retention and energy . Was really disappointed

A win and a clean sheet! Ndiaye was ghosting past their defence and McBurnie was class at both ends of the field. Good to see JLT & Enda get some game time too.

Sickening to see Brewster go down after only 13 seconds or so though.

Made the Baggies work hard for no reward but is it just me or did they seem fitter than us?

Great support from the travelling support with a few cheeky "we're Sheff Utd we're not sitting down" chants. SCC need a Iranian style response to quell this uprising of course.

Big shout out to the traveling fans. You were bloody brilliant. That kind of noisy support makes such a big difference to the players. Well done to you all. 😊

Back
Top Bottom