Outgoing? Wes Foderingham

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He really isnt unless you became a fan of the club in the last year?

I could probably name 5 worse first-choice keepers than him without trying to think about it - Simonsen, Mark Bunn, Olsen, Mark Howard, George Long. I'd also rather have Foderingham over Blackman.
I'd take all of those over Wes. Can't kick the ball, makes more unforced errors than anyone we've ever had and has no presence or command of his area.

Its astounding that he's been a premier league first choice keeper.

Agree that the above list are all poor keepers, but Wes is absolutely awful.

I'd take all of those over Wes. Can't kick the ball, makes more unforced errors than anyone we've ever had and has no presence or command of his area.

Its astounding that he's been a premier league first choice keeper.

Agree that the above list are all poor keepers, but Wes is absolutely awful.
Having Olsen over Foderingham is like picking crack over heroin. Olsen is absolute toilet. You cannot be serious with that statement..

Come on weve not had a "great" keeper for years, Ramsdale wasn't that great whilst he was here, decent, but not "great", Henderson wasn't ours but decent, Olsen wasn't ours, but was like that fur that grows on dog shit.
Our last "great" keeper was possibly Paddy?

Depends how long you’ve been watching but for me, Wes is a long way from the worst. He was fine last year but has been found wanting in the prem.
Imho Wes was largely faultless for 18 months.

Mistake late at Wolves in the Cup that made no difference and a slip on the turf against Boro that made no difference are about the only clear things I can recall.

A goalie coach may pick up on some stuff but for me he was as solid as anyone in the Champ for us.

Imho Wes was largely faultless for 18 months.

Mistake late at Wolves in the Cup that made no difference and a slip on the turf against Boro that made no difference are about the only clear things I can recall.

A goalie coach may pick up on some stuff but for me he was as solid as anyone in the Champ for us.
I’m not a qualified coach but I’ve been / watched goalies longer than I care to remember.

You have to be something special in the prem. For example, James Trafford is a fine young keeper but is exposed in a poor team like Burnley.

Wes is an average keeper, fine in the champ but terribly exposed in the prem. Both he and the defence lack quality, this has a knock on effect on confidence in my view.

There are often too many people on this forum with either of Shit or Brilliant when giving an opinion on a player. The truth of it all is usually somewhere in the middle.

When Wes eventually got to play for us I think he surprised a lot of us with his performances in the championship. While not very confident in the air at corners or good with the ball at his feet he did make alot of great saves. PL quality no. Championship middle of the road and that is fine. He has served us well enough over the last few years and I wish him well in the future.

Whether the new man is any better I don't know. We do need to pick another one up as Davies is poor.

Wes in my opinion is a v good shot stopper and that used to be all that was required for a large proportion of the skill set of a keeper. Unfortunately things have moved on and it is these areas that find him sadly lacking.

I’m not a qualified coach but I’ve been / watched goalies longer than I care to remember.

You have to be something special in the prem. For example, James Trafford is a fine young keeper but is exposed in a poor team like Burnley.

Wes is an average keeper, fine in the champ but terribly exposed in the prem. Both he and the defence lack quality, this has a knock on effect on confidence in my view.

Like Wes , Trafford is a very good shot stopper working behind a very poor defence and as a result , put under constant pressure .

Having said that , his record in dealing with high balls into the box has been abysmal and far worse than that of the former and has cost them dearly in a number of games .

He cost them a reported £19 million……

We’ve spent a reported £2 million on a keeper who is supposed to be an upgrade on Wes . Only time will tell if that is the case , but even at this early stage , the signs are not looking good .

Like Wes , Trafford is a very good shot stopper working behind a very poor defence and as a result , put under constant pressure .

Having said that , his record in dealing with high balls into the box has been abysmal and far worse than that of the former and has cost them dearly in a number of games .

He cost them a reported £19 million……

We’ve spent a reported £2 million on a keeper who is supposed to be an upgrade on Wes . Only time will tell if that is the case , but even at this early stage , the signs are not looking good .
Some good points there. I’d say Trafford is at an age where he can still improve on the finer points, we will see.

Being a good shot stopper is the baseline measurement of any keeper whatever the level. If you can’t do that you’re not going to be any good.

Since I packed in back around 2007, the nuances of the position have changed hugely. You are basically a part time extra defender and need to be as good with your feet as you are with your hands. Also your distribution has to be spot on. It’s not enough to welly it up the field in the general direction of one of your guys anymore. These points are, for me, where Wes fundamentally falls down.

Wes isn’t terrible. Like is said above the Premier League will expose any flaws you have and with our team the opposition will get to try them all out.

My issue is we do not keep the ball with him. He constantly panics and his kicking isn’t the greatest. It’s Hendo’s biggest issue. I think he’s arguably the best shot stopper around but not good enough with his feet which is why players like Pickford and Ramsdale are ahead of him in modern day.

Grbic does seem much much calmer on the ball and looks like he will pass it out. In the Chanpionship that may be to our advantage.

I agree with your comments. Being comfortable with your feet is a priority for keepers now. Wes struggles & though his general keeping is ok, he is mid Championship level at best.

Like most
I agree with your comments. Being comfortable with your feet is a priority for keepers now. Wes struggles & though his general keeping is ok, he is mid Championship level at best.
Wouldn't say it's a absolute priority in that it comes before the basics of keeping the ball out of the net.

I actually thinks he's alright at crosses and catching. His kicking and ball at his feet are poor though.

Possibly the worst first choice we've had in my lifetime. Grbic looks shite so far but he's a big upgrade on Wes.
Likeable guy, but let's be real, an absolutely shite goalkeeper
Olson, Mark Howard, George Long, Jamal Blackman, Simonson?

Come on weve not had a "great" keeper for years, Ramsdale wasn't that great whilst he was here, decent, but not "great", Henderson wasn't ours but decent, Olsen wasn't ours, but was like that fur that grows on dog shit.
Our last "great" keeper was possibly Paddy?
First in a long line of Keepers since I've been going to lane (02/03), still the best Keeper I've seen in a blades shirt in all that time. Only one who came close to Paddy was Hendo.

Over the years, Tracey, Kelly, Rees, Kenny, Henderson.....the rest are just meh.
Going back to when I started going, Hodgy, John Hope for about 20 to 30 games until he lost his confidence, Tom McAllister until that twat Rodney Marsh broke his leg, Jim Brown, Keith Waugh all decent to excellent keepers. Some pretty poor keepers mingled in that time as well.

Going back to when I started going, Hodgy, John Hope for about 20 to 30 games until he lost his confidence, Tom McAllister until that twat Rodney Marsh broke his leg, Jim Brown, Keith Waugh all decent to excellent keepers. Some pretty poor keepers mingled in that time as well.
Your a bit older than me matey, but from the same place👍

Some good points there. I’d say Trafford is at an age where he can still improve on the finer points, we will see.

Being a good shot stopper is the baseline measurement of any keeper whatever the level. If you can’t do that you’re not going to be any good.

Since I packed in back around 2007, the nuances of the position have changed hugely. You are basically a part time extra defender and need to be as good with your feet as you are with your hands. Also your distribution has to be spot on. It’s not enough to welly it up the field in the general direction of one of your guys anymore. These points are, for me, where Wes fundamentally falls down.

Some fair comments there , but none of us should overlook the fact that at least part of Wes’ problems when it comes to distributing the ball is the fact that none of our fuckers seem to want it !

I thought Tom was an excellent keeper until like you say, Marsh fked him up. Was never the same when he came back

I thought Tom was an excellent keeper until like you say, Marsh fked him up. Was never the same when he came back
Yes, Marsh went in with studs up on him. Then Denis Law followed up and scored. The goal stood and Marsh unpunished 🤬. These days with VAR certain red card, which it should have been anyway. As you say, he was never the same when he came back. A tragedy!

Yes, Marsh went in with studs up on him. Then Denis Law followed up and scored. The goal stood and Marsh unpunished 🤬. These days with VAR certain red card, which it should have been anyway. As you say, he was never the same when he came back. A tragedy!
It was a tragic incident ,refs didn't have e the benefit of Var at that time. if so most teams wouldn't finish with a full 11as the softening up process defenders got away with in them days was really crude.
The biggest problem today is the holding and shirt pulling at set plays its reached epidemic levels The problem is how is it stopped without ruining the game by sending players off.
For me it's the latest thing in football! Coaches are starting to find ways of navigating this in an attacking sense ! a real advantage can be gained 25% of goals come from dead ball situations.
How many have we scored from and conceded! we are way on the negative side.
Dead ball coaches are the next big thing.

Back
Top Bottom