Outgoing? Wes Foderingham

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Makes you wonder if his hesitancy has gone down poorly with Wilder, they’ve signed Grbic and then withdrawn contract offers to Wes, Davies and Amissah or at least Wes.

End of the day, Wilder works to a budget. If he’s been forced to go and get a new first choice, then why would he keep a deal on the table, based on Wes being first choice?

Sadly for keepers only one plays at once.

Wes has really misjudged this one.

If he has, it won't be the first thing he's misjudged this season.

He'd be a decent number 2/3 for someone at this level. Also homegrown so good for the quota.

Relatively certain there'll be Prem interest because he's English.

Why hasn’t he signed the contract he has been offered? I appreciate he does not have to if he doesn’t like the terms but he can’t then complain if the club signs a keeper who will be here at least in the medium term. He has played chicken and lost

I doubt it's him that's loses out in the long run. More likely he finds a better deal, let's face it, we're skint till we have a new owner. We however likely have an inferior keeper but save a few quid offering grbic less than Wes is getting..
Only my opinion. I like Wes. He's had a few brain farts this season but he's been the busiest keeper in the prem by some distance. Plenty of opportunities for slip ups. He's in credit for me.

He'd be a decent number 2/3 for someone at this level. Also homegrown so good for the quota.

Does have interest from a few PL sides I've heard. Wanting him to be similar to what Carson does at City & Heaton at Man U.

Let's be fair, Wes isn't getting any younger, if he does have those PL offers I think he'd be daft not to take them for the money on offer you'd presume was on the table. It might mean pretty much the end of his playing career for the most part, but it sercures his financial future.

If rumours are to be believed that we will listen to offers, as well as Wes being wanted as a third choice by PL teams, be interesting to see what happens come the end of the window. Fwiw I think unless he gets a good offer where he'll play for a decent club for the next couple of years, he'll see out his contract and leave on a free in the summer

This has echoes of Wilder v Duffy for me, except Wes isn't as popular with the fans. Bit of a dick waving contest maybe, where the boss man shows everyone who is, ...errrm BOSS!
It's for Wilder to find a suitable replacement. The cup performance from the new chap was a worry.
Let's hope he is just a bit rusty and will come good with game time. Minus 5 on your first outing in a reasonably even/competitive game isn't a great look for the lad.

Not the best of the bunch but compared to other Blades keepers of recent years Wes has been decent. Not as good as Dean Henderson but better than Simon Moore and Ramsdale imo, and far better than the rest. Not sure that we can 100% say that the new keeper is an upgrade.

You’ve no idea what the terms are but you still think he should have signed the deal which (according to you at least) has been ‘on the table’ since the summer. And your reasoning for this sudden opinion is a post on instagram where he didn’t even say anything, and which could’ve been completely unrelated.

At what point do you start to think you might have no idea about things?

And you do have an "idea" then....?

I'm not claiming to know anything.....apart from the fact that a deal has been on the table since the summer, a fact that is in the public domain.

And for the record, (check back on my posts for over a year) it is no "sudden" opinion.... I never wanted Wes to sign anything, he was and is obviously no way near good enough and that should have been addressed by Hecky in the summer... so once again...Good riddance.

This has echoes of Wilder v Duffy for me, except Wes isn't as popular with the fans. Bit of a dick waving contest maybe, where the boss man shows everyone who is, ...errrm BOSS!
It's for Wilder to find a suitable replacement. The cup performance from the new chap was a worry.
Let's hope he is just a bit rusty and will come good with game time. Minus 5 on your first outing in a reasonably even/competitive game isn't a great look for the lad.
I was away for the game so this a genuine question, how many of the five do you think Wes would have saved?

Heard that is the case, a bit like Carson

I was away for the game so this a genuine question, how many of the five do you think Wes would have saved?
He'd have at least got near the first, and may have pushed it wide the last he saves most of those but occasionally let's one through. Maybe guesses right on one of the pens. I doubt he'd have conceded all 5 to be honest.

Minimal fee received and get him off the wagebill.

It's good and required to have confidence in yourself, especially as a GK but I always get the impression that he rates his ability as higher than it actually is. He was good (but no better) last season but as predicted by so many, this season has shown his flaws and that he's simply not a top level keeper.

If he can secure the move and wage he feels he deserves then good luck to him.

He was at fault for the 5th goal only - the others were unstopable from a goal keeper's perspective. Wes may have stopped the 5th because it was an error and any keeper should have stopped it.

He was at fault for the 5th goal only - the others were unstopable from a goal keeper's perspective. Wes may have stopped the 5th because it was an error and any keeper should have stopped it.
I thought the same, strikers are told to hit across the keeper for that far corner and it was a good hit but saveable (Wes has let a few through on his front post like that which is much worse IMO)

Rotherham sold him to Palace already?
Ah sorry - my mistake. In my haste, I read Johnstone! Sounds like Toytown are playing hardball (or as much as they're able to given their limited leverage) over his fee. With the new keeper signed, I'd imagine there will be less urgency on Johansson and it would be worth waiting until the summer to see whether they'll go down.

The notes from Wilder’s pre-Palace press conference today have revealed that Wes has asked if he can go out on loan.

Wilder’s said he’ll consider it, only if it’s right for the club. He also told Wes that Grbic is number 1.

Unless we’re bringing another keeper in, letting Wes go doesn’t make sense to me. But it does underline how quickly Wes’s relationship must have nosedived with Wilder.

Has it actually been confirmed that Wes has been sitting on a contract offer? The reaction towards him seems overly negative on here. Yes, he’s not up to Premier League standards week in, week out, but overall he’s been a capable player for us and one of our better performers earlier in the season.

To just abruptly cast him aside seems harsh, but I don’t know whether Wes has spat his dummy out and the situation is irreversible.

Putting all of our eggs in Grbic’s basket looks a massive gamble after Saturday, and arguably it seemed a gamble even before we saw him play for us based on the reviews and his playing history.

This season will be as good as it gets for Wes in terms of being a Premier League number one (18) for most of the season. He could easily get a job as the next Scott Carson somewhere and phone it in for the next few years but still be decent enough if called upon.

The notes from Wilder’s pre-Palace press conference today have revealed that Wes has asked if he can go out on loan.

Wilder’s said he’ll consider it, only if it’s right for the club. He also told Wes that Grbic is number 1.

Unless we’re bringing another keeper in, letting Wes go doesn’t make sense to me. But it does underline how quickly Wes’s relationship must have nosedived with Wilder.

Has it actually been confirmed that Wes has been sitting on a contract offer? The reaction towards him seems overly negative on here. Yes, he’s not up to Premier League standards week in, week out, but overall he’s been a capable player for us and one of our better performers earlier in the season.

To just abruptly cast him aside seems harsh, but I don’t know whether Wes has spat his dummy out and the situation is irreversible.

Putting all of our eggs in Grbic’s basket looks a massive gamble after Saturday, and arguably it seemed a gamble even before we saw him play for us based on the reviews and his playing history.

Look at Wilder's reaction to Duffy and it is perfectly believable that if Wes has fucked about with the contract offer then he has quite rightly told Wes to get lost.

Look at Wilder's reaction to Duffy and it is perfectly believable that if Wes has fucked about with the contract offer then he has quite rightly told Wes to get lost.
But he didn’t apply the same principle to Lundstrum, which is why I think there’s more to the story.

For different reasons, arguably Wilder got the Duffy and Lundstrum decisions wrong. And if Grbic turns out to be a bust he’ll be on for a hat trick.

If Wes leaves and Amissah hasn't signed a contract then presumably he's on the market as well, so who is our No2 ? surely we ae not left with Davies ?

Let him go, on whatever terms. As long as we don't have to pay his wages for the rest of the season. Davies is fine as number 2

Wilder isn’t shy about this approach, we saw it when he transfer listed 5 or so players, told George Long he’d drive him to his next club and used no room for sentiment with Duffy. And I don’t blame him.

These players are only custodians of our club, we need to move quickly so that in the summer we know exactly what we need and what we’ve got to get it.

I feel for Wes because he’s been a big part of our recent success but he can’t honestly think playing chicken with the club benefits the grand scheme of things, others may be tempted to sign contracts quicker now. Realistically they’ll be gambling on Ipswich getting promoted if they want to play premier league football next year, because it’s highly unlikely Leicester, Southampton, Leeds will want them.

To me it's very telling that Wes has asked to go out on loan.
I won't pretend to know anything about the contract situations of him and the other keepers, but if the manager states that he's going to protect the club's interests by going out and signing a goalkeeper on a long term deal, surely he should be saying, "right then, I'm gonna do my very best to keep the new guy out and show you that I'm good enough to keep the shirt".
Asking to go out on loan suggest that he's got no fight in him and he's just given up.
Not what we need in a relegation battle.

Back
Top Bottom