Player Suggestion Viktor Johansson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Curious if there's any record in recent years of a promoted league 1 player going to a team playing European football... especially a GK on the verge of relegation back to league 1.

The guy is on his way to League one, and he'd turn down a move to the Premier league? Nah.
Not many make a jump like that let alone one from Rotherham to a top European side that'll gaurntee him an international call up.

If the lad actually thought it through, he'd be much better placed to progress if he moved to a team most likely playing in the Championship next season gunning for the play-offs rather than going back to league 1 playing against Shrewsbury on a Tuesday night. It's all speculation though based around posts of people who have mates ITK. If the chap doesn't want to come here then move on and let him enjoy supping pints int Bluecoats spoons.

His performances for Toytown won't have gone unnoticed, despite their results. If he's got offers from bigger and better clubs than Utd then good luck to him.

Who knows which other sides will have expressed an interest - after all, not many on here would guess that Napoli would be in for Anel, but it is apparently the case.

If the lad actually thought it through, he'd be much better placed to progress if he moved to a team most likely playing in the Championship next season gunning for the play-offs rather than going back to league 1 playing against Shrewsbury on a Tuesday night. It's all speculation though based around posts of people who have mates ITK. If the chap doesn't want to come here then move on and let him enjoy supping pints int Bluecoats spoons.

I would be fairly confident that he won't be still at Rotherham next season, regardless of which division they're in.

Ah yes good old European football.

Hacken play European football. Or did.

They got knocked out of the Champions League Second Qualifying round by a team from the Faroe Islands.

They then got a second chance into the Europa League where after 3 games against teams from Germany, Norway and Azerbaijan, they have played 3, lost 3 with a goal difference of -9.

So to me at least, the whole notion of “playing European football” is a crock of shit.

Most teams that the Champions of Sweden have played, apart from Leverkusen, United would beat - The New Saints, KI, Zalgiris, Aberdeen, Qarabag and Molde.

So by all means if you can get ‘a team in Europe’ good luck but let that be a team that plays in a good league and does well in that league too.
Not sure I'd fancy our chances against Aberdeen at the moment

Deal made, Rotherham happy but Johansson setting his sights higher.

Wants to push for Sweden number 1 position and is waiting for a club who's playing European football to come calling.. he's happy to wait it out.

Won't be coming to Sheffield United 😔
If he wants to be Sweden's #1 there's logic in coming here and succeeding where the current #1 (Olsen) failed?

Wow

How do you know Rotherham are playing Shrewsbury town on a Tuesday night next season - that’s impressive.

Could you let me know who we play on the opening day next season please 🙏? It will save a lot of stress , heartache and insults

Wow

How do you know Rotherham are playing Shrewsbury town on a Tuesday night next season - that’s impressive.

Could you let me know who we play on the opening day next season please 🙏? It will save a lot of stress , heartache and insults
I'll buy you a pint if they aren't ;)

Wow

When do tickets go on sale?

Wow

"Could you let me know who we play on the opening day next season please 🙏? It will save a lot of stress , heartache and insults"

Bolton away.

His performances for Toytown won't have gone unnoticed, despite their results. If he's got offers from bigger and better clubs than Utd then good luck to him.

Who knows which other sides will have expressed an interest - after all, not many on here would guess that Napoli would be in for Anel, but it is apparently the case.

His performances for Rotherham haven't been that good though. He's faced the most shots, as you might expect, but his save percentage puts him in about 13/14th place. He's conceded the most goals by quite a margin.

Deal made, Rotherham happy but Johansson setting his sights higher.

Wants to push for Sweden number 1 position and is waiting for a club who's playing European football to come calling.. he's happy to wait it out.

Won't be coming to Sheffield United 😔
Sounds like he's holding out for a better deal which won't be forthcoming as no club playing European football* is going to be signing Rotherham United's goalkeeper in the January transfer window. His best bet is to join United now, play an absolute blinder between now and the end of the season then get snapped up by a team playing in Europe in the summer for £10m.

*Clubs still in Europe
Champions League:
Arsenal - Raya (Spain, 3 caps, signed 2023 for £30m), Ramsdale (England, 4 caps, signed 2022 for up to £30m)
Man City - Ederson (Brazil, 25 caps, signed 2017 for £35m), Ortega (Germany, uncapped, signed 2022 on a free)
Others: Atlético Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Copenhagen, Dortmund, Inter, Lazio, Leipzig, Napoli, Porto, PSG, PSV, Real Madrid, Real Sociedad

Europa League:
Brighton - Verbruggen (Netherlands, 4 caps, signed 2023 for £17m); Steele (England, uncapped, signed 2018 on a free)
Liverpool - Alisson (Brazil, 63 caps, signed 2018 for £57m); Adrián (Spain, uncapped, signed 2019 on a free); Kelleher (Ireland, 10 caps, youth)
West Ham - Areola (France, 5 caps, signed 2022 for £10m), Fabianski (Poland, 57 caps, signed 2018 for £7m)
Other teams: Atalanta, Benfica, Braga, Feyenoord, Freiburg, Galatasaray, Lens, Leverkusen, Marseille, AC Milan, Qarabag, Rangers, Rennes, Roma, Shakhtar Donetsk, Slavia Prague, Sparta Prague, Sporting, Toulouse, Villareal, Young Boys

Europa Conference League
Aston Villa - Martínez (Argentina, 34 caps, signed 2020 for £19m), Olsen (Sweden, 71 caps, signed 2022 for £3m)
Other teams: Ajax, Bodø/Glimt, Club Brugge, Dinamo Zagreb, Fenerbahçe, Ferencváros, Fiorentina, Frankfurt, Gent, Legia Warsaw, Lille, Lodogorets, Maccabi Haifa, Maccabi Tel Aviv, Molde, Olympiacos, PAOK, Real Betis, Servette, Slovan Bratislava, Sturm Graz, Union SG, Viktoria Plzen

His performances for Rotherham haven't been that good though. He's faced the most shots, as you might expect, but his save percentage puts him in about 13/14th place. He's conceded the most goals by quite a margin.
Just like Foderingham but at a lower level.

Not saying he's coming but he won't need to be playing European football to become Sweden's number 1. All their current keepers play in the Swedish league. Playing at the top end of The Championship would almost certainly see him becoming first choice.
Hopefully we sign a few players so we can have a decent chance of being near the top of the championship next season!

He’s 6th in save percentage, 68.7%. Was second last season at 74.1%.

He's still performing pretty well to say he's in a team that can't defend (in comparison to Rotherham last season).

Opponent xG per game
22- 1.79
23- 1.54

SoT per game
22- 4.80
23- 5.89

The big change is how often a team scores with a shot on target. It's changed from 24% in 22 to 31% in 23. This is partly in a GKs control, partly down to how good you are defensively. xG per non penalty shot in 22 was 0.10, 0.11 in 23.

Small changes that indicate Rotherham ate giving up more and better shots this season.

According to xG v goals conceded he was 7.7 up in 22, this season he's 0.3 up. I'd say, if his performance has dropped it's a very small amount but you can't keep ahead if what's expected when your team can't defend (see Wes)

Sounds like Wes but in a lower division.

In my opinion Johansson is a great shot stopper, approximately on par with Wes.

Playing for Rotherham he will have never had to use his feet. Unless we are looking for a younger version of Wes then I don’t see the point in signing him.

Sounds like Wes but in a lower division.

In my opinion Johansson is a great shot stopper, approximately on par with Wes.

Playing for Rotherham he will have never had to use his feet. Unless we are looking for a younger version of Wes then I don’t see the point in signing him.

Just had a quick look

Foderingham long ball accuracy is 19%
Johansson long ball accuracy is 10%

Johansson distribution is something that Millers fans have sighted as something that needs improving.

However Johansson is much better at commanding his box including aerial claims than Wes which I would put as equally important as distribution.

Not that it matters anyway as chances of Johansson coming here are slim to none

Just had a quick look

Johansson distribution is something that Millers fans have sighted as something that needs improving.

However Johansson is much better at commanding his box including aerial claims than Wes which I would put as equally important as distribution.

That seems strangley low, have you got a link for VJ's numbers?

The data I'm looking at has him in 13th with 69.6%. Very similar to what Wes had last season and he apparently isn't good enough for us.

Out of interest how have you come to that conclusion?

Also, commanding the box is much, much more important for a goalkeeper than distribution.

My millers supporting pal said he is not premier league quality. Kicking is poor and too short were the main reasons

Just had a quick look

To be honest I don’t think Wes is particularly bad at defending his box. My only gripe about him is that his feet are on backwards, which having seen Rotherham live a dozen or so times with Johansson in goal, at the very best there’s no evidence that he is better with his feet than Wes.

Just had a quick look

Doesn’t that just about say it all

The chances of a goalie , who plays for the bottom club in the championship, who have the smallest budget , who has conceded the most goals in their division - actually signing for a Prem club with gates of 30k - are …..slim

Ffs 🤦

Out of interest how have you come to that conclusion?

Also, commanding the box is much, much more important for a goalkeeper than distribution.
Commanding the box is important for a goalkeeper but not much more important than being able to use their feet, particularly at the top level. Watch nearly any PL game and the teams that are able to retain possession effectively all use the keeper loads, almost like a sweeper when they've got the ball. He's effectively always an open option, never marked and can find a team mate with the ball.

Suppose it's less important if the tactics are to hoof it upfield as early as possible, but even then it helps being able to hit a team mate/channel rather than the touchline.

A top keeper will also release the ball quickly and accurately to set up attacks.
Wes, gets his deck chair and paper out, waits until the opposition are set up to repel invaders and then releases the ball, leaving few options for the player who receives it as his colleagues are usually marked.

Back
Top Bottom