Outgoing? Verrips?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Agree CB - I always suspected that to be the case with Retsos as well. CW certainly was a stubborn old goat.

TBH - I'd be very surprised if Verrips wanted to return unless he received assurances that he would get regular starts. Shame if so as by all accounts he's better than WF and certainly better than SM (although I've seen traffic cones that are better keepers than SM!).
His best chance in my view is if United get a bid for Ramsdale we can't turn down. He then gets told you can have an even battle with whoever the other keeper is. I'd loan someone like Woodman and rotate based on form. I don't see Foderingham as any more than a shirt filler. He's senior whereas we have a lot of other keepers who are inexperienced - Amissah, Eastwood, Dewhurst. We may as well have kept Moore, unless his injury was just too bad.

His best chance in my view is if United get a bid for Ramsdale we can't turn down. He then gets told you can have an even battle with whoever the other keeper is. I'd loan someone like Woodman and rotate based on form. I don't see Foderingham as any more than a shirt filler. He's senior whereas we have a lot of other keepers who are inexperienced - Amissah, Eastwood, Dewhurst. We may as well have kept Moore, unless his injury was just too bad.

I was with you right up to your final sentence CB. I'm afraid I don't see Moore as a viable option in the Champ even as 3rd choice and definitely not 1st or even 2nd choice.

I seem to remember someone saying Simon Moore was currently suffering with a hernia?
He had a bad break on his hand if I recall. Looked pretty grim. Not sure what the recovery time was.

I was with you right up to your final sentence CB. I'm afraid I don't see Moore as a viable option in the Champ even as 3rd choice and definitely not 1st or even 2nd choice.
I'm more suggesting Foderingham is no good rather than extolling the virtues of SM. Did a good job for us. This generation's Graham Benstead but not the level we're now looking at. And neither is League One Wes.

Pfft. Presume this was another one of Van Winckel's great finds to go with Retsos & Zivkovic. Absolute garbage.
Good luck to the lad and all that. I'm no goalkeeping coach but I reckon being crap with the ball at your feet, as well as not being able to catch or save it, and with the mobility of an ironing board, probably puts you at a disadvantage.

Makes Sal Bibbo look like Lev Yashin.

Good luck to the lad and all that. I'm no goalkeeping coach but I reckon being crap with the ball at your feet, as well as not being able to catch or save it, and with the mobility of an ironing board, probably puts you at a disadvantage.

Makes Sal Bibbo look like Lev Yashin.
You forgot positioning.

I can categorically say that his display away at West Brom when Rammers refused to play was the worst goalkeeping performance I’ve seen

You forgot positioning.

I can categorically say that his display away at West Brom when Rammers refused to play was the worst goalkeeping performance I’ve seen
I can't understand why modern keepers are so bad in the air. Like Verrips. He is 6 foot 5 but when West Brom had a throw in he acted as if he was 4 foot 8. Be dominant in that situation. Just get in there and clean absolutely everything out to get the ball. Refs protect goalies now from literally any contact anyway!
Gone are the days of Tracey, Kelly and Rees with their superb aerial prowess.

I can't understand why modern keepers are so bad in the air. Like Verrips. He is 6 foot 5 but when West Brom had a throw in he acted as if he was 4 foot 8. Be dominant in that situation. Just get in there and clean absolutely everything out to get the ball. Refs protect goalies now from literally any contact anyway!
Gone are the days of Tracey, Kelly and Rees with their superb aerial prowess.
I don’t think he’s as bad as that performance, but that game showed every weakness he has.

There was a change many years ago when Premier League teams started bringing in keepers from overseas. In coincided with the balls being lighter and more liable to move in the air. Until then, British keepers would come and catch everything.

Schmeichel was totally dominant as were people like seaman but that changed. I wouldn’t say that Tracey was dominant on crosses.

The different thing now is that keepers punch more as it is less risky than dropping. They’re much more mobile and better with both feet with back passes.

Verrips and Olsen don’t appear to show any major attributes, perhaps they can pull off a few good saves but their general play is terrible. Both weak in the air and with their feet… and seem to not be where they need to be

Be good to get him off the books. His cards were marked after the WBA horror show and I don't think he has recovered in a challenging for a first team start sense since that disastrous display.

He's not good enough and another waste of a money as I'm sure he will have been on substantial wages since he signed. Needs to go and then it's up to Eastwood to fight it out with Fods or for someone to come in next season if he's not up to it. Olsen isn't going to be here long term and will be gone either later this month or in May.

As for Verrips, I understand that he is out of contract in the summer and the deal is for him to go to a club in Holland initially on loan with it switching to a permanent contract in the summer. Reading between the lines then, we will ha e to find a percentage of his wage until 30 June just to get him out of the club now. Before his new club takes over completely in July. Makes you wonder what he's pulling in now. Another worldie signing that one. Jeez we sure have spunked some real money away on crap.

I thought he was. When did he drop a cross that led to a goal?
Jeez you’re testing me, but he was prone to a few errors (normally tearing out of his box). I don’t recall him coming though crowds of players to make big catches, whereas Rees and Kelly seemed better on crosses

I agree Silent, Tracey better on crosses than Kelly.
When fit Simon was the better goalkeeper however Alan was less likely to do anything daft.
Both class, light years better than anything we have nowadays
Kelly had a poor understanding with Roger Nilsen and both nearly came to blows in a midweek match at Norwich

Another player who has had zero opportunity zero and don’t give me the West Brom game was a chance

Verrips was thrown in at the deep end and Slav tossed him a brick no keeper would have done well in that game if it was Wes we would have had the same outcome probably worse

Verrips has had zero chance , however nearly singled handedly kept emmen up whilst there in the second half of the season in the eredvise and came in highly rated

It is daft that when we need a new number one keeper as Wes isn’t good enough and Olsen isn’t our player so logic would mean give him a chance

I agree Silent, Tracey better on crosses than Kelly.
When fit Simon was the better goalkeeper however Alan was less likely to do anything daft.
Both class, light years better than anything we have nowadays
Agree - with Tracey, it's a pity injuries wore him down.
Also Kelly often appeared to have a thigh issue (he seemed to be always stretching when the ball was the at the other end - and wearing cycling shorts). Perhaps that hampered his jumping?

Would be interesting to know what Verrips thinks of Ramsdale, since his throwing his toys out of the pram dropped him in it and that game basically ended his career here.
Doesn't excuse his crappy performance for blowing that chance though.

Would be interesting to know what Verrips thinks of Ramsdale, since his throwing his toys out of the pram dropped him in it and that game basically ended his career here.
Doesn't excuse his crappy performance for blowing that chance though.
Bullet OG header from JLT in that match, not many keepers were saving that one!

He can go out on loan again and be amazing like he apparently was last time. He's only crap for us by the sounds of it.

I'm going to be harsh on him here but given his lack of starts he's not quite up to it here.

That WBA game was a shocker but it's not like he ever got himself into any sort of chance with Wilder of starting. And hasn't under Slav and PH.
Been a weird one, when we signed him didn't we leave ourselves open to a dispute too?

He can go out on loan again and be amazing like he apparently was last time. He's only crap for us by the sounds of it.

Bit like Olsen as well then although I don't actually think Verrips got a proper chance whereas Olsen just blatantly looks like he doesn't want to be here.

Back
Top Bottom