VAR VAR

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Everyone watching could see Wes was being held down by his arm except the ref and linesman. For once VAR got it spot on Villa can have no complaints on that one, the Baldock hand ball shout did have me worried though, that could have gone either way. Villa want to think themselves lucky they ended the game with 11 men after the assault on JLT first their player barges Jack just before the ball arrives so Jack does pull his shirt what their player can't do is swing an elbow at Jack's turnip. Look at the lump and cut above Jack's left eye that could have smashed his cheek bone if a few inches lower down, to me that is serious foul play and worth a red card all week long. Maybe after all the whining from Villa for fouls and hand balls the VAR dare not give another decision against them.

I can see it from both sides. That said I'd be pissed off if it was chalked off for us so I can understand their frustrations.
Goal was correctly chalked off. Baldocks arm though I'm a little dubious, personally I think on another day VAR gives that. If I was. Villa fan id be annoyed but I struggle to disagree with the overturning of the goal.

With all that being said I doubt they gave much of a shit when our goal was overturned there so. Give a fuck.

Goal was correctly chalked off. Baldocks arm though I'm a little dubious, personally I think on another day VAR gives that. If I was. Villa fan id be annoyed but I struggle to disagree with the overturning of the goal.

With all that being said I doubt they gave much of a shit when our goal was overturned there so. Give a fuck.
Baldock chested the ball. He can't help having massive biceps.

The phase of play had moved on … had they scored direct from that corner then yes correct decision…..

But winding it back for a foul in the previous phase … where does it stop? They’re would penalties and free kicks given at every single corner

The phase of play had moved on … had they scored direct from that corner then yes correct decision…..

But winding it back for a foul in the previous phase … where does it stop? They’re would penalties and free kicks given at every single corner
So the fact we hadn't cleared the danger doesn't count for anything
Danger we wouldn't have been in had a clear foul been given

Do agree with that. No doubt they could have wound back further to find a foul that lead to the corner that lead to the foul on Wes that lead to Baldock not clearing lines that lead to the goal. I still maintain I'm not a fan of VAR regardless of the decisions that have gone for or against us it really is sucking the soul out of it.

With that being said you can make the argument had Wes not been fouled he could have cleared the ball avoiding the next phase of play which they scored. I can understand it at times but sometimes it baffles the tits off me.

Ah well, not the first time we're debating VAR certainly won't be the last either.

So the fact we hadn't cleared the danger doesn't count for anything
Danger we wouldn't have been in had a clear foul been given
You’re missing my point… my point is … in football you can find multiple fouls if you keep rewinding play … at what point does it stop? I don’t agree with rewinding the play in the manner it was done yesterday … what if VAR moved back another 10 seconds and saw a foul on a Villa player ? Penalty?

Was watching and listening to the commentators say it would be "incredibly tight". I thought I must be missing something, per the fucking 6 yard line you could see he was a country mile onside.

It felt like the officials / VAR were looking for any reason to try and chalk our goals off. That comes off the back of Twattenberg's comments earlier in the week.

Last edited:
If felt like the officials / VAR were looking for any reason to try and chalk our goals off. That comes off the back of Twattenberg's comments earlier in the week.

It does make you think, though we do get the rub too on occasion. They are slowing the game down more and more though on really obvious decisions, and that's what'll be the death of it in its current form.

Bring in a challenge system, fuck this current nightmare off

Bring in a challenge system, fuck this current nightmare off
Exactly. 1 challenge per half, another allowed if challenge is upheld. If Brighton challenge first goal, we wouldn’t have had to go through the second one. If they didn’t challenge the first, they could have challenged the second, but at least we would have not had to put up with the tedium of 2 reviews. By the time the goals were confirmed, I was so annoyed that it took much of the pleasure away. This is killing the experience of attending games.

Had VAR been around in 91, Phil Kite would never have been penalised for handling outside the area and we might have had a better result against Leeds 😜

Attachments

• 20240403_215835.jpg
    20240403_215835.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 28
Had VAR been around in 91, Phil Kite would never have been penalised for handling outside the area and we might have had a better result against Leeds 😜
Not sure I remember that one!?!
Anyway, in my humble opinion VAR, and the way football is now run at the top end of the game, is a load of bollox.
I love football, but I hate it at the same time, but just can't bring myself to stop being interested, watching especially The Blades. As they say, "It's in yer blood!"
So, after many, many years, the officiating of football was ok and didn't really need much effing about with. The footballing Gods, in their extremely finite wisdom, decided to change the archaic offside rule. The only actual change to this, that should ever had been made, is to abolish it entirely. I have said this to many footy pals and, virtually without exception, they haven't agreed with me. Now I think that it's such an integral part of the game, they cannot bring themselves to take it on board the thought of it not being a thing. (Or maybe I'm trying to internally justify my own opinion!?!) I played field hockey all my life and we abolished off-side completely around 30 years ago. Teams would leave a forward up around, or even in, the 'D', waiting for a break down at the other end of the pitch and for their defence to lash the ball upfront. AS you can imagine, in hockey, you can send a small hard ball from one end of the pitch to the other very quickly. This continued for most of the first half of the season, until teams (especially of a decent standard) realised that they were playing with a man down. This tactic then changed from around the festive break and the game, effectively reverted back to how it had always been played.
Introducing the 'not interfering with play' parameter was a much needed amendment to the rule (I probably agree with this one if we have to continue with it), biut it has often been badly implemented.
However, they then added a level of utter confusion, by not the 'not raising the flag' thing, which is, and was, totally unnecessary.
They we go to VAR. I've said it on here before. Why on earth didn't the Blazer Boys study what works in other sports, namely Rugby (League & Union, Hockey, Cricket and Tennis, being the main ones. It works brilliantly in all these comparable sports, both from an implementation and ongoing viewpoint. In Association Football it doesn't, again in both cases.
Transparency, appeal systems, (including limited number of appeals, losing number of appeals when unsuccessful), informative to the live audience, are all areas that the football authorities have, if indeed they did look at and consider before introduction, they have completely ignored. The bigger question for me is, "Why?"
Rant over, back to sleep.

Remember that match well. I sat with the Leeds fans (a Leeds season ticket holder at work got me the ticket as I couldnt get a ticket for the away end). I wanted to leave the ground when we were 4 down early in the 2nd half but I didnt want to make it too obvious for the Leeds fans to realise that I am a Blade. The score with 10 mins left was 4-3 and my heart was beating fast in the last 10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom