VAR Vote

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would you scrap VAR with immediate effect?

• Yes

Votes: 358 79.4%
  • No

Votes: 93 20.6%

• Total voters

HeCanDoMagic

Reaction score
VAR obviously a hot topic at the moment. And following various debates online and in the workplace Im intrigued to know where the majority stand on the issue.

Straightforward poll.

*'VAR' doesn't include Hawkeye

I'd scrap officials and have AI referees. It's the officials that's the problem.

2 big decisions this weekend - Newcastle's goal and United's penalty.
VAR has been taking a bashing over both. But it's not actually VAR at fault.

It's there to overturn "Clear and obvious" mistakes.

The on field referee's gave both the goal (Newcastle) and the penalty (us). VAR's didn't have enough evidence to overturn either decision, so went with the initial decision in both games

I voted to scrap it although I can see the benefit in tech, I don't think its been utilised enough or has the right reason to be used with VAR. You almost need to have a 5th official sat in a box somewhere watching the game live and if there is a possible referral incident he presses a button and another VAR official looks at that 3-5 second clip and makes a decision. Or you need to have the following in place.

Its only used for the below reasons
1) Red & Yellow cards "grading" - Referee makes on field decision of free kick VAR looks and confirms either way if needed
2) Penalties - Referee gives the penalty live - review is made as to yes or no if needed

With the offside craziness by thinnest of margins or what have you, you need more tech which would be a chip or similar installed in the boots of the player using lasers across the pitch and with a high tech ball. It could be easier just to scrap offsides and don't have to worry about them.

I voted to scrap it although I can see the benefit in tech, I don't think its been utilised enough or has the right reason to be used with VAR. You almost need to have a 5th official sat in a box somewhere watching the game live and if there is a possible referral incident he presses a button and another VAR official looks at that 3-5 second clip and makes a decision. Or you need to have the following in place.

Its only used for the below reasons
1) Red & Yellow cards "grading" - Referee makes on field decision of free kick VAR looks and confirms either way if needed
2) Penalties - Referee gives the penalty live - review is made as to yes or no if needed

With the offside craziness by thinnest of margins or what have you, you need more tech which would be a chip or similar installed in the boots of the player using lasers across the pitch and with a high tech ball. It could be easier just to scrap offsides and don't have to worry about them.
Scrap offside? Wow, Lineker will be coming out of retirement

Referees and Linesman were 97% accurate pre introduction of VAR.

Is the controversy, the reduced excitement when a goal is scored, the delays, really worth the 3%?

I cannot say I've had the slightest bit of reduced excitement celebrating goals with VAR being introduced

Scrap offside? Wow, Lineker will be coming out of retirement
Although that comment was more a tongue in cheek one it would be interesting to see how teams form up or how it changes the mentality without offsides, would it make it fastest or do they go route 1. Or will attacks be snuffed out because defenders, defend deeper.

Var doest needed to be scrapped, it does need to be refined and new definitions of rules. Offsides being absolutely clear (maybe a foot of space or clear daylight). As an example.
The difference between 11 inches offside and a foot offside is the same as the difference between level and 1 inch offside.

It's not clearer at all, you're just moving the line at which someone becomes offside.

The offside rules itself is the problem and imho it goes one of two ways.

1) no such thing as offside any more

2) offside means offside. Whether you touched it, interfered with it or another player... doesn't matter

It's only in the limelight again because a descion went against one of the 'big six'. They are now so entitled, they just can't accept not getting every descion going and can't accept losing. The media pander to it by making it the top story for the next week to garner millions of clicks from America, Asia and Africa.

No one gave a shit about the Villa hawk-eye goal, or the ridiculous 13 minutes added on at Spurs to allow them the time they needed to score and save face (a rule they have now quietly shelved).

The sooner these 'brands' fuck off to their soulless Super League the better.

VAR in the Premier League hasn’t done what it was marketed to do - Stop controversy because of bad decisions made by officials that have a split second to make that decision.

It’s ended up creating more controversy and stopping the game for longer periods than is necessary.

And since it’s also not rolled out to all decisions, one of the worst aspects of premier league football remains. That’s the gamesmanship.

VAR hasn’t improved the game and comparing championship to premier league I know which I prefer to watch

I would scrap it, because it's very unfair on referees that don't have it to back up (or correct) their decisions.

The kids watch Italian and Spanish football, granted it's a different pace of game but very very few issues or delays since the early days. As others have stated it's not the technology but the interpretation i.e. the officials.

I'm still not a fan but I watched a lot of the rugby WC, and really enjoyed it. So refreshing not to see histrionics from the players and no back chat to the ref. Also, the clarity of the video checks, everyone in the ground and on TV can hear the discussion. Transparency. It works.

Also, excellent system for a ten minute review of yellows to reds when appropriate, the game continues and the player is punished proportionately.

Like with cricket, the two big positives - the audio for fans (ground / back home) and the fact that all the officials are ex-players. When will an ex footballer ever ref or run the lines, or be in VAR studio? Until that changes it will never be as good as it should be.

Wouldn't that just move the line by a foot and create the exact same problem, while also allowing goals to stand that are scored by players a foot offside?
Thicker lines would do it. Instead of thin lines use thicker ones and if they touch each other or overlap then it's ONSIDE. If there is the slightest gap in between the 2 thick lines then it's OFFSIDE. This will allow for attackers to be marginally in front of the defenders while still being offically 'level' and 'onside'

The current issue is that the lines are too thin for me and should be doubled in width.

The one major issue is all this armpit and toe to defining where the lines should be bollux. Place the lines directly down the middle of the players - forget about how far their leg or head is sticking out. Stick to the middle of the body for the lines.

Thicker lines would do it. Instead of thin lines use thicker ones and if they touch each other or overlap then it's ONSIDE. If there is the slightest gap in between the 2 thick lines then it's OFFSIDE. This will allow for attackers to be marginally in front of the defenders while still being offically 'level' and 'onside'

The current issue is that the lines are too thin for me and should be doubled in width.

The one major issue is all this armpit and toe to defining where the lines should be bollux. Place the lines directly down the middle of the players - forget about how far their leg or head is sticking out. Stick to the middle of the body for the lines.

That wouldn't help either would it? You'd still have lines being drawn for an age, against a screenshot that is not the exact point of the ball leaving the foot, and it'd still rely on the same process to determine whether the lines overlapped anyway.

Back
Top Bottom