United v Wednesday Wembley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It’s like this. When pigs were in prem many many moons ago football attendances at EVERY single club were nothing like they are now. The premier league is now a different animal. The best league on the planet by far. I personally don’t like it. It’s a business not a sport. There is no passion in it. It’s want tbh. But the world loves it. But when the pigs were init Newcastle were averaging 32k. Man United 45k. Arsenal 35k. Chelsea 28k. Liverpool 39k. Pigs 29k. Everton 28k. Tottenham 30k. Crowds were nothing like they are today. Not even close. Do not be so deluded as to ever think pigs wouldn’t fill the sty every home game IF they ever get back to prem. they would. They do have a bigger fanbase than us. It’s just a fact but why the fuck people get upset about it is beyond me. We have a far better team. Far better facilities. Far better run club. We have become the best club in Sheffield in last 10 years or so. Embrace it. They have a bigger support but they always will have. They come from all over fucking shop. We are from Sheffield. I’m all my years following blades We have always been the underdog to them cunts. And it’s how I like it. Now we are the top club and it feels great. Embrace it rub it in. Njoy it. It will no doubt swing sooner or later it’s what happens in Sheffield so rub the Cunt In while ya can

My recollection is that this was the first time I had had to see the Blades at Wembley. I had been supporting since mid 60s (although first game I went to was 1958) and we had never got to a semi final or final before and of course there were no play offs with finals at Wembley in those days so the Wembley was really "special" and really exciting. Organised a coach to go with friends and work colleagues and took bottle of champagne in case we won. Great event but the first of many trips to Wembley since all of which we have lost (plus Old Trafford, Cardiff)! One day....?

We
Never quite understood the bigger fanbase argument. They haven't had a 30,000 average attendance since 1968. They've had some very good players in that time and spent far more, on proven international class players, some of them arguably world class,than United. They've also had a huge away end which has boosted their attendance. I think it held 15,000 for many years. They've also had terrible crowds in the 70's which heralded the save our owls campaign. If you went in the 70's and 80's you will also know that United's official crowds were highly dubious, especially in the 4th division
We took over 15,300 to the stadium of death n 79 and that's not counting blades on their end

Never quite understood the bigger fanbase argument. They haven't had a 30,000 average attendance since 1968. They've had some very good players in that time and spent far more, on proven international class players, some of them arguably world class,than United. They've also had a huge away end which has boosted their attendance. I think it held 15,000 for many years. They've also had terrible crowds in the 70's which heralded the save our owls campaign. If you went in the 70's and 80's you will also know that United's official crowds were highly dubious, especially in the 4th division

Last season we had around 2500 away fans for most games. Pigs had around 500 away fans. They averaged 25k in division 3. Sheffield football crowds over a season is nearly double of what Leeds United get. Nobody sees it. Nobody mentions it. We average crowds of 28k. Soon to be 30k. They will get 27k averages Even tho they are getting there eyes Ripped out cos they are thick as fuck or loyal as fuck and they keep paying them prices to watch that shit. But my point is there will be 56/57/58k fans every 2 weeks watching football in Sheffield. Outside Liverpool London and Manchester tell me 1 other city what can do it .. bearing in mind between us we don’t actually follow successful football clubs

yes think you may be right there also think sheffield is a bit like manchester wednesday have a lot of out of town fans from rotherham barnsley and donny like man utd have over there the core of our fanbase is in sheffield
Another myth. Manchester is 75% man United. That I can assure you Makes me laugh when people say Manchester is blue. Is it fuck.

We

We took over 15,300 to the stadium of death n 79 and that's not counting blades on their end
i think we probably had 20k at the sty that day 15k on leppings lane and another 5k spread round the ground mind they probably had the same numbers in the easter return game they had the lane end and all the west terrace

Must be my memory playing tricks . Never thought of it being like the love-in you got between Liverpool & Everton .
It really wasn't! Doesn't mention the scrapping in London the night before and on match day resulting in the death of a United fan. Wasn't a single visible pig in our end and vice-versa

Another myth. Manchester is 75% man United. That I can assure you Makes me laugh when people say Manchester is blue. Is it fuck.
Having lived in Manchester for 21yrs that's absolutely right although these days it's about 60/40 to United.

It’s like this. When pigs were in prem many many moons ago football attendances at EVERY single club were nothing like they are now. The premier league is now a different animal. The best league on the planet by far. I personally don’t like it. It’s a business not a sport. There is no passion in it. It’s want tbh. But the world loves it. But when the pigs were init Newcastle were averaging 32k. Man United 45k. Arsenal 35k. Chelsea 28k. Liverpool 39k. Pigs 29k. Everton 28k. Tottenham 30k. Crowds were nothing like they are today. Not even close. Do not be so deluded as to ever think pigs wouldn’t fill the sty every home game IF they ever get back to prem. they would. They do have a bigger fanbase than us. It’s just a fact but why the fuck people get upset about it is beyond me. We have a far better team. Far better facilities. Far better run club. We have become the best club in Sheffield in last 10 years or so. Embrace it. They have a bigger support but they always will have. They come from all over fucking shop. We are from Sheffield. I’m all my years following blades We have always been the underdog to them cunts. And it’s how I like it. Now we are the top club and it feels great. Embrace it rub it in. Njoy it. It will no doubt swing sooner or later it’s what happens in Sheffield so rub the Cunt In while ya can
You have picked out a short period where Wendy were involved in 3 cup finals ( winning 1 ) , became the 3rd best team in England and had a brief tour of Europe thrown in . In the 2-4 years previous spell , again in the top division , they were averaging 9,000 less . With that level of success , who is to say we wouldn't have averaged similar/more ? Many on here will still remember when we averaged over 33,000 in the early 70's ( can't be arsed to check other averages in that era !! ) .

Disagree. They pull a crowd in once every season or the big off game but their general attendance isn't better.

The difference is their armchair fans attendance games when needed whereas ours don't, evidently some on this forum from comments I've seen.
This is their MASSIVE support in their home end for the crucial 'must win' match against Exeter, 3 games before the end of the season. They have got a bigger fan base but they're easily swayed by indifference

Attachments

• 2023-04-23 (3).png
    2023-04-23 (3).png
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 2023-05-31.png
    2023-05-31.png
    978.2 KB · Views: 5
Last season we had around 2500 away fans for most games. Pigs had around 500 away fans. They averaged 25k in division 3. Sheffield football crowds over a season is nearly double of what Leeds United get. Nobody sees it. Nobody mentions it. We average crowds of 28k. Soon to be 30k. They will get 27k averages Even tho they are getting there eyes Ripped out cos they are thick as fuck or loyal as fuck and they keep paying them prices to watch that shit. But my point is there will be 56/57/58k fans every 2 weeks watching football in Sheffield. Outside Liverpool London and Manchester tell me 1 other city what can do it .. bearing in mind between us we don’t actually follow successful football clubs
Just look at their empty seats a crowd can be what ever you want it to be to create a narrative

i think we probably had 20k at the sty that day 15k on leppings lane and another 5k spread round the ground mind they probably had the same numbers in the easter return game they had the lane end and all the west terrace
Correct

Just look at their empty seats a crowd can be what ever you want it to be to create a narrative
I look at facts and figures. Fact is they averaged 25k in div 3 which is unreal we averaged 20k in our 100 point season. They have a bigger fanbase it’s clear. But we are the better club. Better in every department except support Me personally I’d rather be better than bigger. We are miles in front

You have picked out a short period where Wendy were involved in 3 cup finals ( winning 1 ) , became the 3rd best team in England and had a brief tour of Europe thrown in . In the 2-4 years previous spell , again in the top division , they were averaging 9,000 less . With that level of success , who is to say we wouldn't have averaged similar/more ? Many on here will still remember when we averaged over 33,000 in the early 70's ( can't be arsed to check other averages in that era !! )

Like I say. Don’t worry about it. It is what it is. We are a better club. They DO have a bigger support fuck me they nearly doubled what we took to Wembley but in my day we all loved been the underdog. We thrived of it. I’m not entirely comfortable been the best club in town tbh but I’m getting use to it. Why anybody is bothered about support is mad. I sit in boozers wi pigs and don’t even argue when they sit talking support.. It’s all they gave now. I’d rather be where we are personally

Back
Top Bottom