United v Wednesday Wembley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

AlienWoodward

Reaction score
Can anyone remember what the share out of the tickets was when we played the semi final.
I know it's thirty years ago but got me wondering how many we sold compared to attendance FC.

Seem to recall that it was 50:50 and that more tickets were made available than for other Wembley games because they didn’t take a 25% cut for VIPs etc. It was the combination of these factors that led to the claim of it being the biggest movement of people between 2 cities since the 1st world war.

if i remember correctly we both got 35k tickets which both clubs sold out pretty quickly

What was Wembley capacity then? About 80k?

Pigs got 95% of the tickets which they sold out in 14 minutes,and then sold the rest of ours which we couldn't sell and returned to Wembley....
They also had a beamback to South Barnsley for the unlucky 350,000 that couldn't get a ticket.

it will be the same story tomorrow night with their victory parade anybody and everybody will turn out just to say they got more there than our parade probably all of their 20k one match a season will turn up as well why dont they turn up at the sty for league game their just glory fans

Can anyone remember what the share out of the tickets was when we played the semi final.
I know it's thirty years ago but got me wondering how many we sold compared to attendance FC.
I think we returned about 15,000 unsold tickets. Wednesday sold out then took our allocation and sold it within 24 hours

It's just how it's always been. They are Villa to our Bromsgrove Rovers

Yes it was a 50/50 split, think it was 36K each in a 74K crowd, which was the Wembley capacity in those days.
The Spurs v Arsenal semi final at Wembley the week before had an attendance of 73K, so there was more at our derby compared to the North London derby.

I booked annual leave to make sure I arrived at the ticket office early morning to ensure I got a ticket.
However the queue were starting to form outside both BL and Hillsboro 2 days before sale.

So on police orders they forced both clubs to sell the tickets 24 hours earlier than planned.
I was still at work and wasn't allowed time off because I hadn't booked that day, so my relative went down at short notice to get us a ticket.

It was going to be the match of the century, a steel city derby played at Wembley.
United sold out by 2pm and Wednesday sold out a hour or so later.

However as Bramall Lane was more central you had some Wednesday fans buying tickets from Bramall Lane, going in the United end and vice versa.
In those days it wasn't a massive shock to see blue and white scarfs in with Blades and red and white scarfs in with Owls.

Regards the match, didn't feel as bad as a thought we would.
Wednesday had the skilful players but we had the athleticism and organisation, we didn't look good but were tough to play against
we were similar to how Luton have played this season. However on the day, must have been pre match nerves because after about 20 minutes
many of our players looked knackered, so the match become really one sided. Quite amazing that it was 1-1 after 90 minutes.
They scored in extra time and deserved the win, no complaints.

Last edited:
Yes it was a 50/50 split, think it was 36K each in a 74K crowd, which was the Wembley capacity in those days.
The Spurs v Arsenal semi final at Wembley the week before had an attendance of 73K, so there was more at our derby compared to the North London derby.

I booked annual leave to make sure I arrived at the ticket office early morning to ensure I got a ticket.
However the queue were starting to form outside both BL and Hillsboro 2 days before sale.

So on police orders they forced both clubs to sell the tickets 24 hours earlier than planned.
I was still at work and wasn't allowed time off because I hadn't booked that day, so my relative went down at short notice to get us a ticket.

It was going to be the match of the century, a steel city derby played at Wembley.

However as Bramall Lane was more central you had some Wednesday fans buying tickets from Bramall Lane, going in the United end and vice versa.
In those days it wasn't a massive shock to see blue and white scarfs in with Blades and red and white scarfs in with Owls.

Wednesday had the skilful players but we had the athleticism and organisation, we didn't look good but were tough to play against
we were similar to how Luton have played this season. However on the day, must have been pre match nerves because after about 20 minutes
many of our players looked knackered, so the match become really one sided. Quite amazing that it was 1-1 after 90 minutes.
Must be my memory playing tricks . Never thought of it being like the love-in you got between Liverpool & Everton .

Pigs got 95% of the tickets which they sold out in 14 minutes,and then sold the rest of ours which we couldn't sell and returned to Wembley....
I have it on good authority that they were wearing Blades shirts to make it look as if United had fans at the match, when Alan Cork scored he was waving to Wednesday fans 'going along with it.' 😢🤣😊😂

Our game was played on Saturday the third of April, 75300 ish and The Arse v Spurs was the day after, 76200 odd. They did have a bigger attendance than us but by less than a thousand and Wembley is on their doorstep.

I can remember being upset at the sight of Mel Rees pre-match. I can remember Wednesday absolutely shellacking us for most of the game & Kelly keeping us in it. I can remember Alan Cork's goal taking the longest time to trickle in. I can remember the BBC in a huge number outside Wembley after the match. I can also remember seeing Alan Cork about 45 minutes after full time clean shaven. That's about it.

As many will recall, a 'thing' our fans did at the time was to buy thousands of balloons themselves for the big games, especially cup games, but also league games like the Sir Bobby Davison game.

SWFC latched on to this a few days before the semi final and provided balloons for their support, paid for by the club.

Fucking wankers.

Arsenal v Spurs was the day after on the Sunday and the attendances was 75,000 plus for our game and 76,000 plus for the other

What i recall about the ticket sales was you had to have a ticket from your season ticket book, a lettered one not a numbered one, so only me and lad were getting tickets straight away, the tickets were being sold from a cabin on area where hotel is ,and the bloke selling them was just chucking the lettered stubs out behind the cabin, so i picked an handfull up and bought tickets for all the family so we were all together, not right but did us well

Int it funny out of the woodwork came 20,000 Wwendyites that had not seen a match at the Stadium of Rust for 20 odd years—so-called massive what utter bullshit from the deluded.
yes and the 20k that came out of the woodwork against barnsley are such brilliant fans that most of em havent been seen at the sty at all this season supporting their team united have a much more loyal fan base albeit we havent the number of part time hypocrits that the pigs have

The final against Arsenal went to a reply for the pigs and oh dear look at the crowd, wasnt that the lowest away following for an FA cup final (although replay) ever? I believe the pigs took 15K???????

Screenshot 2023-06-03 165825.png

The final against Arsenal went to a reply for the pigs and oh dear look at the crowd, wasnt that the lowest away following for an FA cup final (although replay) ever? I believe the pigs took 15K???????

View attachment 161834
in fairness it was midweek, their 3rd trip that season and the tickets were proportionately more expensive back then. the cheaper seats for fa cup finals were for the neutral areas sold by other clubs. sheffield was still a city in economic ruin post thatcher in those days.

As I have posted before pigs involved in lowest ever Wembley FA Cup final attendance (going back to 1923) and also lowest ever championship play off Wembley final (exc Covid).

They can make up whatever they want but the above are published facts (i know they hate the truth getting in the way of their bullshit) that anybody can see and verify.

Classy

Back
Top Bottom