United v Wednesday Wembley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

As I have posted before pigs involved in lowest ever Wembley FA Cup final attendance (going back to 1923) and also lowest ever championship play off Wembley final (exc Covid).

They can make up whatever they want but the above are published facts (i know they hate the truth getting in the way of their bullshit) that anybody can see and verify.

Classy
im not sticking up for the snortbeasts here but they would have sold all their tickets against city we didnt and they took 44k to a league 1 play off final our last one we only took 28k average wise were better than them but when a big game comes up their 20k part timers all turn out

Must be my memory playing tricks . Never thought of it being like the love-in you got between Liverpool & Everton .
Nothing like the Liverpool- Everton derby where they commonly mix.
However you did see the odd fan in the other teams end at the Wembley semi final....that wouldn't happen these days.

When we played Wednesday in 92-93 season I had a season ticket on the John Street terrace
and remember seeing the odd blue and white scarf sat in the John Street seats, saw a few in the South stand too.
When we played Wednesday in the Data Zenith match at Hillsboro I was on their North stand and there were quite alot around me wearing red and white scarfs.
You would never see anyone wearing a blue and white scarf on our South stand or John Street stand now when playing a steel city derby.

im not sticking up for the snortbeasts here but they would have sold all their tickets against city we didnt and they took 44k to a league 1 play off final our last one we only took 28k average wise were better than them but when a big game comes up their 20k part timers all turn out

In the same situation they wouldn't have.

You need to remember their season tickets went on sale in early January.
How convenient that Chancer choose a date when they were miles clear at the top of the league, so most renewed knowing it would be Championship football.

Our Wembley tickets went on sale not long after most has paid their renewals for season tickets.....not everyone could afford to pay both.
Also our tickets had a delayed sale date, for some reason sold a week after the Man City tickets were made available for sale
and again for some weird reason were strictly 1 ticket per season tickets holder where as the SW playoff tickets were 6 tickets per season ticket holder.

Appreciate that Wembley did change the rules for Blades 3 days before the match....so it eventually changed to 5 tickets per season tickets holder
but by then transport and hotels had all been booked up.

Also we've played in loads of semi finals and quite alot of play-off finals.
Our record is the worse in English football, lost all 4 play-off finals , not even scoring a single goal.
Also failed to win our last 8 consecutive FA cup semi finals and lost both league cup semi finals....incredibly that's 13 consecutive big game failures.
No wonder some of our fans feel like boycotting Wembley visits,

Where as SWFC haven't been in an FA cup semi final since 93 and haven't been in many play-off finals either, so it's a massive event for their fanbase, not so much for us.
Still an excellent showing so I'm not knocking them, their fanbase tends to be like a cult so many of their fans take their girlfriends, cousins and pay for the next door neighbour too.. However a good 21K of their fans at Wembley aren't really Owls fans and have zero interest going to normal league matches.

Last edited:

How convenient that Chancer choose a date when they were miles clear at the top of the league, so most renewed knowing it would be Championship football.

Our Wembley tickets went on sale not long after most has paid their renewals for season tickets.....not everyone could afford to pay both.
Also our tickets had a delayed sale date, for some reason sold a week after the Man City tickets were made available for sale
and again for some weird reason were strictly 1 ticket per season tickets holder where as the SW playoff tickets were 6 tickets per season ticket holder.

Appreciate that Wembley did change the rules for Blades 3 days before the match....so it eventually changed to 5 tickets per season tickets holder

Our record is the worse in English football, lost all 4 play-off finals , not even scoring a single goal.
Also failed to win our last 8 consecutive FA cup semi finals and lost both league cup semi finals....incredibly that's 13 consecutive big game failures.

Where as SWFC haven't been in an FA cup semi final since 93 and haven't been in many play-off finals either, so it's a massive event for their fanbase, not so much for us.
Still an excellent showing so I'm not knocking them, their fanbase tends to be like a cult so many of their fans take their girlfriends, cousins and pay for the next door neighbour too.. However a good 21K of their fans at Wembley aren't really Owls fans and have zero interest going to normal league matches.

I can remember being upset at the sight of Mel Rees pre-match. I can remember Wednesday absolutely shellacking us for most of the game & Kelly keeping us in it. I can remember Alan Cork's goal taking the longest time to trickle in. I can remember the BBC in a huge number outside Wembley after the match. I can also remember seeing Alan Cork about 45 minutes after full time clean shaven. That's about it.
4 of us slept in the car at scratch wood services ( think it was) then headed for Wembley at about 8am. Parked second row at Wembley and loads of blades playing footy in the car park in the morning.
Balloons everywhere and what an atmosphere in blades end!
You are right about Corky took an age to hit the back of the net.
Saw that wanker after after the game tricky dicky off EastEnders. Then listened to Esha Ness win the national (but didn't win ) on the way out of the car park on the way home!

4 of us slept in the car at scratch wood services ( think it was) then headed for Wembley at about 8am. Parked second row at Wembley and loads of blades playing footy in the car park in the morning.
Balloons everywhere and what an atmosphere in blades end!
You are right about Corky took an age to hit the back of the net.
Saw that wanker after after the game tricky dicky off EastEnders. Then listened to Esha Ness win the national (but didn't win ) on the way out of the car park on the way home!

The Grand National that never was! Good memory. You've reminded me of that.

yes youve made some good points there but still think they would have sold out due to their once a season fans just dont understand uniteds policy with these games though its so restrictive like you say pigs season ticket holders allowed 6 tickets which meant families could sit together and know city allowed 4 per season ticket holder united are stopping families sitting together in numbers by this stupid policy and definetly needs looking at by the club

yes youve made some good points there but still think they would have sold out due to their once a season fans just dont understand uniteds policy with these games though its so restrictive like you say pigs season ticket holders allowed 6 tickets which meant families could sit together and know city allowed 4 per season ticket holder united are stopping families sitting together in numbers by this stupid policy and definetly needs looking at by the club
pigs have a bigger fanbase. It’s that simple really. Why the fuck some of our fans get so anxious about this is beyond me. We call them deluded and then some of our fans come out with some right daft comments .. so fucking what they have a bigger fanbase. We re a better run club with a far better team at minute and a better stadium imo. Just not bigger. But better. Everybody relax

pigs have a bigger fanbase. It’s that simple really. Why the fuck some of our fans get so anxious about this is beyond me. We call them deluded and then some of our fans come out with some right daft comments .. so fucking what they have a bigger fanbase. We re a better run club with a far better team at minute and a better stadium imo. Just not bigger. But better. Everybody relax
This is true..and travel better away...we need to get away from the " been there done that attitude"..and just follow unconditionally..it,s what true support is.

One ticket per ST holder is just crazy - loads would want to take mates/wives/etc - all they had to do was allow 2 per ST holder and make it first come first served.
Admittedly that risks some ST holders not getting a ticket but that’s always the case for the big PL clubs so not the end of the world

All I read about on here is Sheffield Wednesdays attendances, seems some are equally as obsessed with them as they are

This is true..and travel better away...we need to get away from the " been there done that attitude"..and just follow unconditionally..it,s what true support is.
with 22k plus season ticket holders we really should sell
wednesday have a bigger dormant fan base than us and go to one big game a season thats not supporting your team through thick and thin united fans are much more loyal i just cant understand how we can have 22/23k season ticket holders but rarely sell out for away games 🤔

with 22k plus season ticket holders we really should sell

wednesday have a bigger dormant fan base than us and go to one big game a season thats not supporting your team through thick and thin united fans are much more loyal i just cant understand how we can have 22/23k season ticket holders but rarely sell out for away games 🤔
I think there's something to be said for us being the more working class of the 2 clubs and so cost comes into it

Disagree. They pull a crowd in once every season or the big off game but their general attendance isn't better.

The difference is their armchair fans attendance games when needed whereas ours don't, evidently some on this forum from comments I've seen.

I think there's something to be said for us being the more working class of the 2 clubs and so cost comes into it
yes think you may be right there also think sheffield is a bit like manchester wednesday have a lot of out of town fans from rotherham barnsley and donny like man utd have over there the core of our fanbase is in sheffield

Never quite understood the bigger fanbase argument. They haven't had a 30,000 average attendance since 1968. They've had some very good players in that time and spent far more, on proven international class players, some of them arguably world class,than United. They've also had a huge away end which has boosted their attendance. I think it held 15,000 for many years. They've also had terrible crowds in the 70's which heralded the save our owls campaign. If you went in the 70's and 80's you will also know that United's official crowds were highly dubious, especially in the 4th division

Is the bottle of beer (special edition) released for the semi-final, worth owt? I think I’ve still got mine, on a shelf at the back of the pantry. Couldn’t bring myself to drink it when we lost.

Never quite understood the bigger fanbase argument. They haven't had a 30,000 average attendance since 1968. They've had some very good players in that time and spent far more, on proven international class players, some of them arguably world class,than United. They've also had a huge away end which has boosted their attendance. I think it held 15,000 for many years. They've also had terrible crowds in the 70's which heralded the save our owls campaign. If you went in the 70's and 80's you will also know that United's official crowds were highly dubious, especially in the 4th division
yes some of the home crowd figures in the 4th division were very dubious 🤔

Is the bottle of beer (special edition) released for the semi-final, worth owt? I think I’ve still got mine, on a shelf at the back of the pantry. Couldn’t bring myself to drink it when we lost.
I’ve still got mine too, also on a shelf at the back of the pantry. Suspect there may be quite a few others.

I can actually finally confirm that now, because of pig logic, we actually won because we took far more to Wembley than we would have taken to Wimbledon so therefore we are massive and that’s the real win

in fairness it was midweek, their 3rd trip that season and the tickets were proportionately more expensive back then. the cheaper seats for fa cup finals were for the neutral areas sold by other clubs. sheffield was still a city in economic ruin post thatcher in those days.
Please dont make excuses for them!

Great points and especially 1968 being their last >30k season.
We had plenty of sub 10k crowds in the late 80s, mainly in D2 (now the Championship) but D4 crowds were much better generally. Football hadn't yet hit its low and we had a successful season.

Great points and especially 1968 being their last >30k season.
We had plenty of sub 10k crowds in the late 80s, mainly in D2 (now the Championship) but D4 crowds were much better generally. Football hadn't yet hit its low and we had a successful season.
maybe because we were going to smaller clubs but we had a much bigger away following in div 4 than we have nowadays including 8k to peterbro for a midweek game ⚔

As many will recall, a 'thing' our fans did at the time was to buy thousands of balloons themselves for the big games, especially cup games, but also league games like the Sir Bobby Davison game.

SWFC latched on to this a few days before the semi final and provided balloons for their support, paid for by the club.

Fucking wankers.

They didn’t give their team the welcome that our fans gave the Blades when the team coach arrived at Wembley, I’ve never forgotten that, absolutely awesome.

Back
Top Bottom