Transfers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Think it’s worth just giving into the old adage of In Wilder We Trust for this type of situation.

He was good at building a team and he will have to largely do that again.

Not all will go to plan, but he has far more know how in this space than Hecky did to be fair, so in that sense we do have someone with experience of the challenge.

With respect I’d imagine the experiences of Boro and Watford might have knocked the bit of a chip off Chris’ shoulder where perhaps he was seeing his own trajectory as above the Blades.

I do think if the two remain intertwined for the long term then both can be good for each other. There seems to be a bit more realism to that relationship this time around too.

Wilder sets high standards and as he once said “I don’t need them to be my best mates, I’ve got my own mates!”

I think he will turn things around but it may take going down to see us more capable.

If the Prince doesn’t deny him too much and Chris doesn’t get unrealistic I think we can make a decent fist of it. I don’t see too many jumping ship if we want them to stay.

Can’t say the same for Luton, a few are here for a good time not long time there and not sure Kompany has enhanced his reputation this much with his recruitment either especially given the levels of it.

Time to relax a little. It seems the pressure is off but you know Wilder will be trying his damnedest to get the team he supports back at the top table.

Think it’s worth just giving into the old adage of In Wilder We Trust for this type of situation.

Not all will go to plan, but he has far more know how in this space than Hecky did to be fair, so in that sense we do have someone with experience of the challenge.

With respect I’d imagine the experiences of Boro and Watford might have knocked the bit of a chip off Chris’ shoulder where perhaps he was seeing his own trajectory as above the Blades.

I do think if the two remain intertwined for the long term then both can be good for each other. There seems to be a bit more realism to that relationship this time around too.

Wilder sets high standards and as he once said “I don’t need them to be my best mates, I’ve got my own mates!”

I think he will turn things around but it may take going down to see us more capable.

If the Prince doesn’t deny him too much and Chris doesn’t get unrealistic I think we can make a decent fist of it. I don’t see too many jumping ship if we want them to stay.

Can’t say the same for Luton, a few are here for a good time not long time there and not sure Kompany has enhanced his reputation this much with his recruitment either especially given the levels of it.

Time to relax a little. It seems the pressure is off but you know Wilder will be trying his damnedest to get the team he supports back at the top table.
He’s hoping this is on the money.
If we can get back to how it felt coming up under Wilder, before the incredible season, then everyone would be happy for him to be here a very long time. Fingers crossed for Wilder 2.0 and that he builds his legacy to overtake the likes of Basset and Warnock in terms of success and longevity with the club.

He was an excellent Championship defender, he’s performed to a good standard at international level and has the potential to be a good PL defender.
10 mil at least for me. I’d be disappointed if he left for anything less. Mind you we’d save some money on petrol so swings and roundabouts 🤣
Who do you think would take a gamble on him in the PL?

Only problem is that there are thousands of other clubs around the world trying to do the same, whilst also trying to pay as little as possible for players at the same time.
And we are a PL club with god knows how much more at our disposal than 98% of the thousands of clubs that you correctly state.

It’s a mindset that, categorically, needs a seed root and branch change !

UTB

A
We need to build a team that can bounce straight back up.

Defensively

RB - Baldock - 1 more year, experience
RB - Bogle
RB - Seriki

CB - Trusty
CB - Anel
CB - Egan - 1 more year, experience
CB - New CB
CB - New CB

LB - RND
LB - Robinson - 1 more year, experience
LB - New LB

Central

MID - Souza
MID - Hamer
MID - Norwood - 1 more year, experience
MID - Brooks
MID - Slimane
MID - New attacking midfielder
MID - New attacking midfielder

Attacking

STR - Archer (or 20 million back)
STR - McBurnie, 2 years, experience
STR - Osula
STR - Benie
STR - Brewster (unpopular but only if fit)
STR - New Striker
STR - New Striker

I think it’s fairly likely the three here will go before we make any cash signings.

And we are a PL club with god knows how much more at our disposal than 98% of the thousands of clubs that you correctly state.

It’s a mindset that, categorically, needs a seed root and branch change !

UTB
You’ll have to let me know when we start acting like one 👍🏼

Who do you think would take a gamble on him in the PL?
I don’t know mate… could be anyone around the mid to bottom teams I’d imagine. Plus there’s all the major foreign leagues to consider.

I don’t know mate… could be anyone around the mid to bottom teams I’d imagine. Plus there’s all the major foreign leagues to consider.
They won’t pay £10m for a player that has been destroyed in the PL and take him from abroad. Those figures are rarely thrown around. He was an unknown last year if he can do it in the PL now we now he carnt.

The bottom teams in the PL Everton / Forest / Palace there defenders are levels above Anel. Guehi and Anderson for Palace are so far ahead it’s a joke.

Unfortunately he’s just a very good championship defender.

They won’t pay £10m for a player that has been destroyed in the PL and take him from abroad. Those figures are rarely thrown around. He was an unknown last year if he can do it in the PL now we now he carnt.

The bottom teams in the PL Everton / Forest / Palace there defenders are levels above Anel. Guehi and Anderson for Palace are so far ahead it’s a joke.

Destroyed? I feel like you’re coupling our failings as a team with him as an individual. Scouts have seen him handle Mbappe, he’s young, he has time left on his contract… I’m talking 10mil… not the 30+ that someone such as Guehi would command.

The usual story: we need more than we are getting and this time it's close to a miracle if we get anything decent ( without selling )

If we can sign players with a decent proven pedigree for the final 4 months of the prem who will sign permanently & be prepared to play in the championship next season then we should spend money while we’ve got it (sensibly)

But that list sounds a little bit too good to be true so I’ll presume we’ll be going down the loans route. Probably a domestic one for Thomas & then a couple of international punts. Our recent track record in the foreign market is pretty terrible so god knows what we’ll end up with

I’m not sure he’s ever personally got his cheque book out for any of our signings and I agree I don’t think he should be doing so.
Looking at the big picture, im sure CW will be here next season.

Whoever we do bring in are going to have to be ready to go straight into the 1st team,so no squad players this window,just players who will go straight in and hopefully make a difference,thats my interpretation from what wilder said in the Man City pre game interview.
That’s where we’ve gone wrong in the recent past. We’ve signed too many squad fillers; not enough players have been brought in to improve the first team.

Just to clear something up, Is Wilder here on a six month contract with a year option or permanent ?

That’s where we’ve gone wrong in the recent past. We’ve signed too many squad fillers; not enough players have been brought in to improve the first team.
exactly that its 50/50 for me whether to go for it in january and try to stay up or accept our fate and wait for any big spending next summer for another crack at the championship personally it would be the latter im pretty sure were already down

exactly that its 50/50 for me whether to go for it in january and try to stay up or accept our fate and wait for any big spending next summer for another crack at the championship personally it would be the latter im pretty sure were already down
Over the course of the next four windows including the one next month we need to build a squad capable of winning the Championship an then being able to continue improving in the PL.
If in this window we get no one that is fine rather than bringing in someone who may help this season but will not be around or good enough in two years time.

Over the course of the next four windows including the one next month we need to build a squad capable of winning the Championship an then being able to continue improving in the PL.
If in this window we get no one that is fine rather than bringing in someone who may help this season but will not be around or good enough in two years time.

As has been alluded to here and on other threads, the summer will be a massive rebuilding job, with between 7-12 new signings required depending on contract renewals and departures.

I’d be looking to bring that down by 2-3 this window, and using the advantage of being a Premiership club for the time being. Get players in who we want to be starting next year in the Championship and if they can make a difference over the next few months even better. The Rotherham keeper is a good example of this - better than Wes now (hopefully), and will be a mainstay going forward.

What I’d hate for us to do is make Firmino like loan signings who never think about Sheffield again once they trot off in the summer. It leaves us with a similar size task in the close season but with even less money.

Agree with most of your post… but I’d want a lot more for Anel

My valuation of £4m was based on what I think we could get for him for now

I reckon coming out of the championship we could have got £8m….just.
but he’s been exposed at the top level, plus had an injury

It’s also worth remembering that no one came in for Egan/JoC/GB etc after we finished 9th, doubt they’ll be swarming over our shell shocked losers with a £10m bid 😂

My valuation of £4m was based on what I think we could get for him for now

I reckon coming out of the championship we could have got £8m….just.
but he’s been exposed at the top level, plus had an injury

It’s also worth remembering that no one came in for Egan/JoC/GB etc after we finished 9th, doubt they’ll be swarming over our shell shocked losers with a £10m bid 😂
Agree, but we need to tell clunbs these players Anel etc aren't for sale if they are on a contract, offers for players that are not the future, and I mean next year onwards can go for any decent offer and thanks for your services imo

As has been alluded to here and on other threads, the summer will be a massive rebuilding job, with between 7-12 new signings required depending on contract renewals and departures.

I’d be looking to bring that down by 2-3 this window, and using the advantage of being a Premiership club for the time being. Get players in who we want to be starting next year in the Championship and if they can make a difference over the next few months even better. The Rotherham keeper is a good example of this - better than Wes now (hopefully), and will be a mainstay going forward.

What I’d hate for us to do is make Firmino like loan signings who never think about Sheffield again once they trot off in the summer. It leaves us with a similar size task in the close season but with even less money.
i think we will get the rotherham keeper one way or another suspect either loan to buy or cash plus one or even two of our players fleck and traore could well help rotherham and help the pigs to get relegated

I think Luton have 27 players contracts expiring in the summer which is crazy, as well as there going, you can imagine they’ll be cherry picked by promoted sides and bottom half prem teams, I reckon Burnley will still be a force, the advantage of Kompanys influence allows him to buy some of the better young players from Belgium.

I'd rather we didn't spend anything in January. If anything start planning for next season back in the Championship. See which players are out of contract in the summer and get them on pre-contract agreements now so that we get off to a flying start in pre-season, rather than our standard lagging behind and poor excuses.

As for movements out, let anyone go in January. It's not like we'll stay up with out without them. My only worry is how many going out of contract has extensions written in which we'll activate. I'd consider keeping Bogle and that's about it. The rest can go. Massive clear out and rebuild requried.

If the Prince was serious about staying up and having a go at trying to stay up he'd have released funds in the summer. So why release them now when we're dead and buried? Save the money for the summer when it'll actually make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom