Tommy Doyle

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Its a shame as I thought Doyle when he played never made too many mistakes, importantly he has legs which Norwood does not. He is a lot better than what we have, so would have been an vast improvement. Our midfield is a major concern for me and does not have much creativity. Good luck to Tommy, i am sure he will get regular football at Wolves.

I know everybody will say "tonight's game doesn't matter as it's only the Caraboodle Cup" but anyone who saw that tonight cannot escape the fact that the game illustrated exactly why we need Doyle instead of Norwood in the team asap.

Norwood was given the complete freedom of Bramall Lane tonight as Lincoln let him have the ball and didn't even try to put in a challenge on him all through the game. With such a huge amount of possession against probably the most unambitious, limited and talentless team i've seem at the Lane for years, what did he produce? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! For all his sideways 'pinging' and attempted long balls through to the strikers channels he gave us nothing. No momentum, no impetus, and no penetration.

He's been a great servant and done a fine job under the circumstances but we need a Doyle in the team now to move the ball quicker and create through linking the midfield, not playing pointless little negative triangles and bypassing the link man with an attempted 'Hollywood Pass'. He slows us down (imo) and fractures and potential impetus.

Love him but we need to move on in my opinion.

utb

A Norwood standing right next to Egan and not making any progressive carries at home against Lincoln should send MAJOR warning signs

One of his problems was the number of times he was the only one not standing, making himself available for the ball deep, to look forward and see the rest of the midfield/wing backs stood still watching him.

I know everybody will say "tonight's game doesn't matter as it's only the Caraboodle Cup" but anyone who saw that tonight cannot escape the fact that the game illustrated exactly why we need Doyle instead of Norwood in the team asap.

Norwood was given the complete freedom of Bramall Lane tonight as Lincoln let him have the ball and didn't even try to put in a challenge on him all through the game. With such a huge amount of possession against probably the most unambitious, limited and talentless team i've seem at the Lane for years, what did he produce? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! For all his sideways 'pinging' and attempted long balls through to the strikers channels he gave us nothing. No momentum, no impetus, and no penetration.

He's been a great servant and done a fine job under the circumstances but we need a Doyle in the team now to move the ball quicker and create through linking the midfield, not playing pointless little negative triangles and bypassing the link man with an attempted 'Hollywood Pass'. He slows us down (imo) and fractures and potential impetus.

utb

Norwood was our best player by a long way and the only one who passed forward. He had two complete passengers alongside him in Coulibaly (who was terrible) and Brooks and even after the break had no help or movement. If he did not play tonight I am not sure how we would have even got forward as noone else till Seriki came on passed it forward!

I hope we've got someone else lined up as £4.3mil is an absolute steal.

Norwood was our best player by a long way and the only one who passed forward. He had two complete passengers alongside him in Coulibaly (who was terrible) and Brooks and even after the break had no help or movement. If he did not play tonight I am not sure how we would have even got forward as noone else till Seriki came on passed it forward!
I've just seen your report pal.

I agree about Brooks and Coulibally but I stand by my opinion. Given that Norwood produced nothing from the complete freedom and possession of the ball afforded to him how can anyone say he was worth a mark of 7 out of 10? He produced nothing, absolutely nothing against pathetic opposition. So many times he received the ball and just played a pointless triangle with two defenders when he could have looked forward. He had Archer and Bogle making runs for him at times but he chose to just keep possession which just kept getting recycled around the half way line. Surely we can expect more leadership in incisiveness from somebody like Norwood?

Maybe he's better in the Premier League where he gets less time to think?

Either way, Norwood is going to take us nowhere fast. He's done a great job but we need a more positive approach than his sideway triangles and 'Hollywood' attemps in my opinion. Doyle showed us the way to go imo.

utb

Last edited:
I DONT THINK YOU WENT NORWOOD WAS PUTTING PINPOINT LONG PASSES OUT ALL GAME .yes i an shouting have you an agenda ?
Grow up for fuck sake!
Of course I went. I gave my opinion based on what I saw and I've been a big Norwood fan since he arrived. I have absolutely no agenda.
If you can't accept an honest opinion or produce a better response or contribution than that why don't you just go to bed.
Although your username probably gives a reasonable indication of your intellect.
utb

Norwood can do long passes excellently. He can play steady passes in and around himself easily. It’s all the other stuff midfielders do where he struggles.

I really like Tommy but I honestly think we have better in Hamer and we potentially have better in Souza for that role

I really hope it goes well for the lad but I’m glad it’s wolves taking the risk on the lad being able to step up a level than us

Spending 15 million on him would have been a risk, yeh looking good in a league where you are the dominant possession team for 90% of games against inferior opponents is one thing, doing similar when the roles are turned and you are the inferior opponent, entirely different prospect

Norwood can do long passes excellently. He can play steady passes in and around himself easily. It’s all the other stuff midfielders do where he struggles.
I sorry to say it but he’s just too slow. Most teams in the Prem will shallow up players like Norwood before he’s even thought about taking his second touch. I know Man City are the best, but the way they press was amazing. Sadly it’s not just Norwood who’s too slow for the Prem. Egan also looks like he’s wading through treacle.

…In their own ways both Egan and Norwood initiate play from the back and the middle of the park. They are sadly both too slow for the Prem, the upshot of this if the playmakers are too slow…the team is to slow.

at a guess i’d say the knock down price is because Wolves were apparently trying to negotiate a 60 million fee for Nunes and they ended up settling for 47 million

which brings Doyle to around 17.3 million which is about right for him, half wondering if theres a gentlemans agreement for Palmer or Macca in place too :/

I've just seen your report pal.

I agree about Brooks and Coulibally but I stand by my opinion. Given that Norwood produced nothing from the complete freedom and possession of the ball afforded to him how can anyone say he was worth a mark of 7 out of 10? He produced nothing, absolutely nothing against pathetic opposition. So many times he received the ball and just played a pointless triangle with two defenders when he could have looked forward. He had Archer and Bogle making runs for him at times but he chose to just keep possession which just kept getting recycled around the half way line. Surely we can expect more leadership in incisiveness from somebody like Norwood?

Maybe he's better in the Premier League where he gets less time to think?

Either way, Norwood is going to take us nowhere fast. He's done a great job but we need a more positive approach than his sideway triangles and 'Hollywood' attemps in my opinion. Doyle showed us the way to go imo.

utb
Don't know what you can expect him to do when as a team we are that ineffective. Didn't think Norwood was great, but he tried to do the right things all game. You can't be incisive when your teammates are static, making terrible runs, and failing to control the ball when it does come. You can't progress the ball on your own in football, it's a team effort. Xavi would have looked average tonight.

Don't know what you can expect him to do when as a team we are that ineffective. Didn't think Norwood was great, but he tried to do the right things all game. You can't be incisive when your teammates are static, making terrible runs, and failing to control the ball when it does come. You can't progress the ball on your own in football, it's a team effort. Xavi would have looked average tonight.
Xavi would have carried the ball forward though, not just played the ball back to defenders then long pings to a static team mate. It‘s not hard to stop us playing, press Norwood and we can’t play around it, nobody last night could run or dribble with the ball to get us up the pitch, very predictable. Difficult when there’s two very inexperienced midfielders in there at the same time

Xavi would have carried the ball forward though, not just played the ball back to defenders then long pings to a static team mate. It‘s not hard to stop us playing, press Norwood and we can’t play around it, nobody last night could run or dribble with the ball to get us up the pitch, very predictable. Difficult when there’s two very inexperienced midfielders in there at the same time
Xavi would have carried it forward into there incredibly tight 5-3-2 block? As people have said, Norwood wasn't really being pressed because they sat in that formation. Unless he's dribbling round multiple players I don't get how he carries it forward.

Was just too expensive for us from the off.

Sadly, was desperate to come here but not so desperate to come for a huge wage drop, even if we were able to afford the fee.

Begs the question….if we had the money would we have got him, or would we have looked elsewhere for better?
Because I don’t think he’s worth more than £7m

utb
Isn’t Hamer that person, if we find a left footed midfielder to join ?

Isn’t Hamer that person, if we find a left footed midfielder to join ?
I would think (and hope) that Hamer is going to be playing much further forward than a typical Norwood or Doyle type position?
I assumed that Hamer would be utilised more in a Fleck/Berge role or given free licence to create in a more advanced position (No.10?) when he signed. Maybe I've miss read that?
How do you see his role?
utb

If he is being valued at £15mil or more and wanted to not have a relegation clause in his contract then that explains why we couldn't sign him on permanent deal.

I think we waited til now in the hope we could just get him on loan instead. We made other signings in the meantime anyway and have quite a lot of midfielders now Coulibaly is back fit.

Last edited:
The amount of people who think anyone could have signed him for under 5 million without some form of deal aka Nunes is staggering

This is going to be brought up a lot in future as a stick to beat us with but it wouldn’t have been a £5m deal for us, as we didn’t have to fudge the Nunes numbers.
Exactly this. It is abundantly clear that the £5m + 50% sell-on fee is a dodge in combination with the Nunes transfer in the other direction. It's financial shenanigans to make it "look right" on the books for FFP.

Meaning that to any other club - without a desirable, saleable asset like Nunes to go the other way - that £4.3m + 50% sell on fee would have been a significantly bigger number up front, combined potentially with a smaller sell-on fee.

Don’t think we are even in for him. Maybe we were but aren’t any longer, Appreciate it doesn’t really matter but it clearly says he’s NOT part of the Nunez deal meaning Wolves have just signed him for £5m.
Of course they're going to say that though.

What else are City and Wolves going to say? - "Yes, these two deals are intrinsically linked, and are a clear workaround so that City can get a player they want for a more reasonable sum that doesn't meet the valuation without getting absolutely fucked by FFP while simultaneously registering an immediate wages saving, loan fee and what is almost certainly a triggerable 'must purchase' agreement on the positive side of the ledger."

I would think (and hope) that Hamer is going to be playing much further forward than a typical Norwood or Doyle type position?
I assumed that Hamer would be utilised more in a Fleck/Berge role or given free licence to create in a more advanced position (No.10?) when he signed. Maybe I've miss read that?
How do you see his role?
utb
I think his role is determined by who arrives in the next 30 hours.
Ideally he would be further forward as clearly he can shoot, something a bit alien to us over the last few years !!

Back
Top Bottom