Three best FA Cup 3rd Round games for United

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1971 was the 2-0 defeat at Portsmouth in the 3rd round. My first FA Cup match
Seem to remember that we had already played Portsmouth that season and beaten them 5-0. The coach had set off from Pond Street about 11.00pm Friday night. Full of lads that had been in the pub all night. By the time we got to Portsmouth, early Sat morning, the coach didn't half stink. Also seem to think that we scored 5 again when we played them later that season. We just didn't turn up for the cup game.

Seem to remember that we had already played Portsmouth that season and beaten them 5-0. The coach had set off from Pond Street about 11.00pm Friday night. Full of lads that had been in the pub all night. By the time we got to Portsmouth, early Sat morning, the coach didn't half stink. Also seem to think that we scored 5 again when we played them later that season. We just didn't turn up for the cup game.
We won 5-1 (Woody hat trick) at Fratton Park in Sept 1970. For the cup game, my dad and I went on the train special

We beat them 2-0 at home a week after the cup game.

We beat them 2-0 at home a week after the cup game.
Yes, you are correct. It was 1969/70 we beat them 5-1 away and 5-0 at home, then 1970/71 we beat them 5-1away again. The fa cup game was a good one to go to, so I thought, we obviously like to score against them. I was 16 and that was when I learnt that some games are not worth winning, as the last thing we wanted that season was a cup run. I remember a lot of fans were upset as we just didn't turn up, but it was all forgotten when we won promotion.

Yes, you are correct. It was 1969/70 we beat them 5-1 away and 5-0 at home, then 1970/71 we beat them 5-1away again. The fa cup game was a good one to go to, so I thought, we obviously like to score against them. I was 16 and that was when I learnt that some games are not worth winning, as the last thing we wanted that season was a cup run. I remember a lot of fans were upset as we just didn't turn up, but it was all forgotten when we won promotion.
I cried at the end of the match and my dad tried to calm me down saying "we will now concentrate on getting promotion!"

We were pathetic in the Cup in the 1970s. 3 wins in 10 seasons and didn’t get past the 4th round. There was a lot of not turning up for Cup games.

One thing I do remember about the FA Cup of years gone by is that the pitches were often snow-covered by early January. Fans used to volunteer to clear the snow, or at least the lines of the pitch markings. Games often went ahead on the snow, with an orange ball. Cancellations were a last resort - certainly for the FA Cup.

Some snow is forecast for the coming days, but probably not in the midlands.
You might be interested in this description of the efforts made to keep matches on in snowy weather in the 1950s and 1960s, taken from Hodgy’s autobiography. Not quite the hi-tech approach of the current era!
A58882DA-382E-43A3-9EAC-C5DF48D6EFA8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom