Three best FA Cup 3rd Round games for United

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yeah was at that one (in 85 or 86?). They had Barnes and Blissett. We didn't. For some reason, I went in a t-shirt and thin jacket. Probably the coldest I've ever been at a match. Even colder than Oldham........

Definitely colder than Oldham. Spent the last 30 minutes jumping up and down to try and stave off frostbite.

That atmosphere at Villa Park was one of the best I've experienced following United, it was unreal.

It was odd at the time because it seemed a pretty meaningless cup tie that was never going to lead to much as we were a League One side. Little did we know we'd up at Wembley and very nearly in the final!
My best away day.

Went expecting nothing and their equaliser was heartbreaking, only for Flynn to snatch another. As you say a great atmosphere, followed by a terrific cup run

I was fuming over that game too. Don't get many opportunities to get to a cup final and knobhead (Colin) passes up the chance to even give it a proper go. Pre-match you could tell he wasn't bothered, it was all about the Premier cash.
He’d done the same the year before, 3rd round at home to Colchester.
The only appearance of Hao Haidong, who came on as a sub in the 2-1 defeat!

What about the Barnet debacle the other year?

Don't get me starter on that one either. I'd gone to the game convinced we would lose and went in the bookies to put a few quid on Barnet to win (my bird at the time had been to a few United games and we'd lost every one, and yes she was going to the Barnet game too). Then I had a moment of clarity ... at home to non-league Barnet?? This is Sheff United, at Bramall Lane, we'd never lost a home game to a non-league team. Even with the team CW put out it would still be enough to avoid defeat. Had a punt on the draw instead!!!!

My very first FA Cup match was United v New Brighton on Jan 8th, 1949. We won 5-2.
I thought this cup lark is easy - until the next round when Wolves beat us 3 nil at Bramall Lane.

My first season as a Blade rather went downhill from there and we were relegated. I was on a short learning curve...

My very first FA Cup match was United v New Brighton on Jan 8th, 1949. We won 5-2.
I thought this cup lark is easy - until the next round when Wolves beat us 3 nil at Bramall Lane.

My first season as a Blade rather went downhill from there and we were relegated. I was on a short learning curve...
Hopefully history won't repeat itself at Wolves on Sunday!

There can’t be many people who can claim to have seen United play New Brighton… though apparently there were 28,096 other people there that day.

The only time we ever played them, what a collector's item your ticket from that day would be.

The worst 3rd round I have ever seen was when we played then League 1 Swansea at BDTBL in the Premier league season in 2007 and we got beat 3-0 to this day it is the only game I have walked out early
I remember us playing Rusden and Diamonds with Warnock as manager. We drew at home 1-1. Truly awful game against a non-league team! We were lucky in the replay (which I also attended) beating them on pens.

New Brighton? Wow that is something. Never thought the Blades had played them.

One thing I do remember about the FA Cup of years gone by is that the pitches were often snow-covered by early January. Fans used to volunteer to clear the snow, or at least the lines of the pitch markings. Games often went ahead on the snow, with an orange ball. Cancellations were a last resort - certainly for the FA Cup.

Some snow is forecast for the coming days, but probably not in the midlands.

Warnock was a strange one with the cups, seemed to be arsed with it in the earlier years of his reign but then fucked them off completely in the promotion and prem seasons.

I remember us playing Rusden and Diamonds with Warnock as manager. We drew at home 1-1. Truly awful game against a non-league team! We were lucky in the replay (which I also attended) beating them on pens.
I remember going to the replay in the middle of nowhere and the landlord of the pub we all rocked up in on a Tuesday night being royally pissed off about being rammed and taking loads of money instead of serving his usual 2 men and a dog.

They were based in Wallasey in Merseyside. They were members of the Football League between 1923 and 1951

View attachment 127528

If they'd taken down the Blackpool tower instead to use for metal in WW2 instead of New Brighton tower the 'Vegas of the North' could well have ended up a little further down the west coast.

Edit - WW1 after it fell into disrepair - not WW2.

If they'd taken down the Blackpool tower instead to use for metal in WW2 instead of New Brighton tower the 'Vegas of the North' could well have ended up a little further down the west coast.

Edit - WW1 after it fell into disrepair - not WW2.
That was some building.

The original club in that town, playing in Division 2 for a few seasons at the turn of the 20th Century, was called New Brighton Tower. The team played at the ground at the base of the Tower itself.

That was some building.

The original club in that town, playing in Division 2 for a few seasons at the turn of the 20th Century, was called New Brighton Tower. The team played at the ground at the base of the Tower itself.
I never connected the dots to realise they were two different teams even though I read into New Brighton Tower a couple of years back. Were they the ones who had the huge (120,000 capacity?) stadium?

Thanks for the info, love looking at the history of interesting defunct clubs.

Ok not 3rd round but....
Blades 2 - 1 Man U (1993)
Loved this game. Electric atmosphere & live on BBC. The Bruce missed penalty was the icing on the cake.⚔️

Enjoyed that game.

1st time I’ve ever heard the TV commentary. Hodges’ goal - Trevor Brooking: “the LAST person you want it to fall to there is Glyn Hodges” (What? Because he’ll score? And that wouldn’t be fair on the fans?)

You are thinking of Thames who played at West Ham Stadium (Used for Greyhound racing and Speedway). They were in 3rd division South for just 2 seasons (1930 to 1932)

View attachment 127541

View attachment 127542

The entrance to the stadium in Custom House

Staduim main gate.jpg

When the stadium was demolished and housing replaced it, many of the streets were named after some of the speedway riders that rode for the team there.

They were based in Wallasey in Merseyside. They were members of the Football League between 1923 and 1951

View attachment 127528
Oh yes I know them just hadnt realised the Blades played them as they spent their entire history in Division 3 North. Never thought about the cup. There was also New Brighton Tower FC but they folded in 1901. The Tower itself was demolished in 1950s I think. The tower ballroom however hosted the Beatles during the 60s. Not sure when it was demolished. Housing estate now

I remember going to the replay in the middle of nowhere and the landlord of the pub we all rocked up in on a Tuesday night being royally pissed off about being rammed and taking loads of money instead of serving his usual 2 men and a dog.
Wellingborough wasnt it? Northamptonshire.....I remember they had big ambitions. Believe they were owned by Dr Martens and they got all the way to League One but after they withdrew funding, pretty sure they disappeared and folded.

One thing I do remember about the FA Cup of years gone by is that the pitches were often snow-covered by early January. Fans used to volunteer to clear the snow, or at least the lines of the pitch markings. Games often went ahead on the snow, with an orange ball. Cancellations were a last resort - certainly for the FA Cup.

Some snow is forecast for the coming days, but probably not in the midlands.
You probably remember the 2-0 win over Crystal Palace (Jan 1959, the first time we ever played them), when an army of volunteers cleared the pitch, leaving the surrounds looking like the Alps! I hope this page from my scrapbook is clear enough:
0BC87CE4-8999-4C32-B7B0-FC8F1CC407AB.jpeg

Oh yes I know them just hadnt realised the Blades played them as they spent their entire history in Division 3 North. Never thought about the cup. There was also New Brighton Tower FC but they folded in 1901. The Tower itself was demolished in 1950s I think. The tower ballroom however hosted the Beatles during the 60s. Not sure when it was demolished. Housing estate now

The Beatles played a number of times at the Tower Ballroom - the only English venue they played at more frequently was the Cavern.

Back
Top Bottom