Three best FA Cup 3rd Round games for United

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've just been reading that part in TC's book and no, he didn't play in that game. The reason being that the deal to bring him to the Blades had just been agreed with part of it being he didn't play against us (and wouldn't be cup-tied). TC was unaware at the time and was peed off at being left out by Furphy, then Watford's manager.
Just beat me to replying! :)

He was cup tied and couldnt play for us in the Cup

1975. Currie played all game, made the first goal when his “shot” was headed in by Dearden
Thanks, I knew I’d be way out !

I suppose I got the result right and only being 11 years old at the time I couldn’t see all of the pitch ! 😆

January 3rd 1971. Blades 2 Everton 1.

First Division champions Everton were beaten by second division Sheffield United. Despite being a goal down the Blades fought back with two headed goals from Colin Addison and Gil Reece. Both goals were from typical pin-point crosses from Alan Woodward.

Great atmosphere.
Must agree with you, one of the best games in the cup

Help me out here.
I recall going with my a Dad to see us win a cup match at the Lane. I thought it was against Everton and we scored twice at the BL end.
It would be late 50s or early 60s
????????
Could it have been 1971 2-1

January 3rd 1971. Blades 2 Everton 1.

First Division champions Everton were beaten by second division Sheffield United. Despite being a goal down the Blades fought back with two headed goals from Colin Addison and Gil Reece. Both goals were from typical pin-point crosses from Alan Woodward.

Great atmosphere.
how Woody lost his defender to cross was the magic bit he clipped a ball his back to the defender to the right and spun left leaving him for dead

Was at that match. Another great Gil Reece header. For a small winger he was terrific in the air. Ditto Bryson and Beagrie.
My Dad went to Hillsborough on the same day when Wednesday beat West Brom 2-1 in the Cup. Came home raving about Tony Brown's thunderbolt goal for Albion. Watch it on youtube somewhere. Spent the evening arguing about which was the better match. I won the argument obviously......

I know it was a defeat but a third round replay at Stoke sticks in my mind in 1983. They were near the top of the old, old first division and we were mid-table third division. The first game at the Lane had ended a dour 0-0 if memory serves. The replay in comparison had everything and it was about the only time the pig Curran had a decent game for us.

First half United were 2-1 up and playing some fantastic stuff. The players went off at half time celebrating as though they'd already won the game. Second half, still end to end stuff but Stoke turned it around to win 3-2. However, there was one attack from us where Curran had managed to get through one-on-one with the goalkeeper, he lifted his shot just over the keeper but alas also just over the bar. I think most Blades were expecting him to do what they'd showed for years on the opening credits to local Sunday afternoon footy, when Curran playing for the pigs, waltzed it round the keeper and ran the ball into an empty net.

Not to be that night, but I do remember United had given in an excellent account of themselves in a cracking cup tie.

If you haven’t seen it, the thread ‘60 Years Ago this month’, posts 360-370, has a lot of information, pictures, etc., from that day. My experience at the end of the game was a little different to yours - on the way back to the station, we were chased by a group of disgruntled youngsters. It was my first experience of a threatening moment at a football match. Fortunately, I could run quite fast. I have always been a coward…
Our little gang got lost trying to get back to Lime Street Railway Station. Ended up over 4 miles away, but some kind soul put us on a bus which, to our considerable relief, got us back there for the football special train we were on, (one of several).

My three:

1989 at Huddersfield. Agana’s goal and my first away match.
Bit of a cheat but both games vs Arsenal in 1996. The atmosphere at the first game when we got the draw was excellent.
Burnley in 1993 was good: 2 down with 5 mins to go and got the he draw, 9,000 Burnley fans, and Heath and Littlejohn sent off for fighting which was funny.

Best -
Everton 2-1 1970 - another Reece header
Coventry 1-1 replay 1988 - David Holdsworth last minute. Won on pens
Blackburn 2-2 replay 1993 - Mich Ward supersub. Won on pens

Worst -
Aston Villa away 1-4 1975 - they were 2nd tier, we had a great top tier team. Shambolic performance. And I got smacked by a copper's truncheon
Wembley 1993 - Nuff said
Arsenal home 0-5 1978 - absolutely spanked

Was that the 3rd round when we beat Man City in balloongate?

how Woody lost his defender to cross was the magic bit he clipped a ball his back to the defender to the right and spun left leaving him for dead
The Everton defender was Brian Labone who played for England in the World Cup 5 months later

Was at that match. Another great Gil Reece header. For a small winger he was terrific in the air. Ditto Bryson and Beagrie.
My Dad went to Hillsborough on the same day when Wednesday beat West Brom 2-1 in the Cup. Came home raving about Tony Brown's thunderbolt goal for Albion. Watch it on youtube somewhere. Spent the evening arguing about which was the better match. I won the argument obviously......
Our match kicked off at 2.45pm, Wendy's kicked off at 3.15

Help me out here.
I recall going with my a Dad to see us win a cup match at the Lane. I thought it was against Everton and we scored twice at the BL end.
????????
Struggling to come up with a suggestion. Palace in January 58 was 2-0, memorable for the amount of snow piled up after being dug up off the pitch. Portsmouth 1960 was 3-0, with goals from Pace (2) and Lewis. Rounds 4 and 5 were won 3-0 against Forest and 3-2 against Watford, both courtesy of Pace hat tricks. We don’t mention Round 6! Following the away win at Everton in 61, we beat Lincoln 3-1 and Blackburn 2-1 in rounds 4 and 5. Could any of those be the game you are thinking of? I have plenty of photos of most of those games if that helps.

Help me out here.
????????
We didn't play Everton in the Cup in the late 50s/early 60s apart from the match I described. We beat them 2-1 in a league match on March 30, 1963 - goals from Allchurch and Hodgson. Could that be it?

we are long overdue a cup run......Iam up for it this season.
Maybe you're being sarcastic, in which case my apologies, but we've had a great number of cup runs over the years. Since Bassett we've had many a memorable one from losing to Norwich, Man Utd home, Newcastle semi, Arsenal/Liverpool (LC) with Warnock, Hull, Spurs (LC), through to Arsenal during co-vid. For a club of our size and league position we've had some great days/runs. Never win owt of course!

Back
Top Bottom