Three best FA Cup 3rd Round games for United

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Struggling to come up with a suggestion. Palace in January 58 was 2-0, memorable for the amount of snow piled up after being dug up off the pitch. Portsmouth 1960 was 3-0, with goals from Pace (2) and Lewis. Rounds 4 and 5 were won 3-0 against Forest and 3-2 against Watford, both courtesy of Pace hat tricks. We don’t mention Round 6! Following the away win at Everton in 61, we beat Lincoln 3-1 and Blackburn 2-1 in rounds 4 and 5. Could any of those be the game you are thinking of? I have plenty of photos of most of those games if that helps.
Thank you very much. I think it may have been the Blackburn match, as it would fit with my age and the opposition probably played in blue !
Did either of those goals come from crosses on our right at BL end ? If so I think it would be that match.

We didn't play Everton in the Cup in the late 50s/early 60s apart from the match I described. We beat them 2-1 in a league match on March 30, 1963 - goals from Allchurch and Hodgson. Could that be it?
Maybe, but my old brain tells me that it was a cup match !

Maybe you're being sarcastic, in which case my apologies, but we've had a great number of cup runs over the years. Since Bassett we've had many a memorable one from losing to Norwich, Man Utd home, Newcastle semi, Arsenal/Liverpool (LC) with Warnock, Hull, Spurs (LC), through to Arsenal during co-vid. For a club of our size and league position we've had some great days/runs. Never win owt of course!
Er, thats my point, last big game spurs. Ages ago.....

Thank you very much. I think it may have been the Blackburn match, as it would fit with my age and the opposition probably played in blue !
Did either of those goals come from crosses on our right at BL end ? If so I think it would be that match.
Below is a report and some photos. Utd scored both goals at the Kop end, in the first half. Hodgson did have a goal disallowed at the Lane end, but that was all. Let me know if you want info about any of the other games.
Not much excitement in the 60 Years Ago thread this week - a tame 0-0 draw at Bury to look forward to.

I am going to choose as my favourite 3rd round game the 5-0 win against Barrow in 1956, for the following reasons:
1. It was my first Cup match.
2. It was our first ever match v Barrow.
3. Hardly anyone on here is old enough to remember it, so nobody can argue with
me🤣
52280BE8-5A0C-4C1A-BD2B-FB6AE64F7877.jpeg
And the 2 Utd players in the picture are…?

I am going to choose as my favourite 3rd round game the 5-0 win against Barrow in 1956, for the following reasons:
me🤣
View attachment 127444

Used to love those mid 50s programmes, always had a different photo on the front of each one.

Senior moment - I forgot to add the pictures to my previous reply!35A2823B-373E-4D49-8E33-C4AB639EE02E.jpeg7A8D2C6D-DA13-4D88-BBD5-EF890989726E.jpeg12A312EA-E1FC-4257-A8BF-0434E6F13202.jpeg

me🤣
View attachment 127444
Ronnie Waldock and Gerry Summers

Which was the season we had numerous postponements and draws against Barnsley?

Leyton Orient 1-4 Sheff Utd 2009 rearranged game after the first attempt on the Saturday was called off due to a frozen pitch, the 2 young Kyle's as they were then were fantastic for us.
Never managed this game. We travelled down for the original fixture, and it was called off about 2 hours before as a strip of ground wouldn't thaw out. Ended up at West Ham v Barnsley instead (as we were already in London). Dingles lost 0-2 I think.

I couldn't get down again for the rearranged fixture, and I've still never been to the Orient ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

Beat Arsenal 1-0 96 replay at Bramall Lane. Carl Veart scored the winner.

Completely irrelevant but Wednesday haven't been past the last 16 since 1993
Not quite. They reached the last 8 in 1997, losing at home to Wimbledon. They haven't got that far since though.

Wednesday's FA Cup record this century is not very good. By my reckoning, they've won 20 ties. We've won 42 in the same time period.

Below is a report and some photos. Utd scored both goals at the Kop end, in the first half. Hodgson did have a goal disallowed at the Lane end, but that was all. Let me know if you want info about any of the other games.
Not much excitement in the 60 Years Ago thread this week - a tame 0-0 draw at Bury to look forward to.
Thanks again.
I know both goals were scored at the BL end and I think Colin Addison was involved in one if not both.

January 7th 1989 Huddersfield 0 Blades 1

Brilliant Tony Agana goal settles a tight Yorkshire derby.

January 12th 1993 (replay) Burnley 2 Blades 4

Brian Deane' hat-trick of headers sets the Blades on their way to a semi-final Wembley appearance.

January 23rd 1999 (replay) Notts Co 3 Blades 4

The Blades hit 3 late goals to complete an incredible comeback after being 3-1 down and seemingly out.
The last game I was at. When we were 3-1 down, about 2/3rds of fans walked out!! They all started running back in when we got it back to 3-2 and then equalised. If memory serves, Wayne Quinn got sent off for kicking the ball away. Not sure if that was in ET when we were winning or before?

The last game I was at. When we were 3-1 down, about 2/3rds of fans walked out!! They all started running back in when we got it back to 3-2 and then equalised. If memory serves, Wayne Quinn got sent off for kicking the ball away. Not sure if that was in ET when we were winning or before?

Starting to come back to me now, the Notts County tie. I remember the drawn 1-1 game at the Lane, a mate of mine, a Blade, he'd got mates who were County fans and we went supping round town with them after the match. Then if I recall correctly the replay kept getting put off and they played it on round 4 Saturday in the end. Didn't go to the game but went to the gym that Saturday afternoon instead, then on the way home dropped in on the White Rose (Handsworth) for a pint. This must have been about ten to five, came up on tv we were 3-1 down, then the goals started dropping in. Turned into quite an enjoyable pint that one.

2-2 V Burnley 2nd of Jan 1993. Classic game played on an ice rink pitch.

They brought a lot of fans over that day. They even had a section in the South Stand if my memory serves me correctly.

Heath scored a screamer for them and I think Beasley scored an 89th min equaliser. Littlejohn and Heath were also sent off.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2 January 1993 - Adrian Heath and Sheff Utd&#39;s Adrian Littlejohn sent off in FA Cup tie 1993 <a href="https://twitter.com/oldsufctweets?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@oldsufctweets</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Crap90sFootball?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@Crap90sFootball</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OnThisDay?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#OnThisDay</a> <a href="https://t.co/KCNSyU3IHW">pic.twitter.com/KCNSyU3IHW</a></p>&mdash; Burnley Goals (@burnleygoals) <a href="">January 2, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Starting to come back to me now, the Notts County tie. I remember the drawn 1-1 game at the Lane, a mate of mine, a Blade, he'd got mates who were County fans and we went supping round town with them after the match. Then if I recall correctly the replay kept getting put off and they played it on round 4 Saturday in the end. Didn't go to the game but went to the gym that Saturday afternoon instead, then on the way home dropped in on the White Rose (Handsworth) for a pint. This must have been about ten to five, came up on tv we were 3-1 down, then the goals started dropping in. Turned into quite an enjoyable pint that one.
Thats right. I went to the first game. Awful. I think they should have beaten us.
I recall their scoreboard was showing United's team and it came up No. 9 Cipriano. I turned to my old fella and said whose that.....!? Have we signed someone new!
Turns out it was the first time I had seen Marcelo's surname.

The worst 3rd round I have ever seen was when we played then League 1 Swansea at BDTBL in the Premier league season in 2007 and we got beat 3-0 to this day it is the only game I have walked out early

The worst 3rd round I have ever seen was when we played then League 1 Swansea at BDTBL in the Premier league season in 2007 and we got beat 3-0 to this day it is the only game I have walked out early

What about the Barnet debacle the other year?

Didn't Notts County field a 15 yr old that game (Pennant?)?

Best -
Everton 2-1 1970 - another Reece header
Coventry 1-1 replay 1988 - David Holdsworth last minute. Won on pens
Blackburn 2-2 replay 1993 - Mich Ward supersub. Won on pens

Worst -
Aston Villa away 1-4 1975 - they were 2nd tier, we had a great top tier team. Shambolic performance. And I got smacked by a copper's truncheon
Wembley 1993 - Nuff said
Arsenal home 0-5 1978 - absolutely spanked

To the worst I'd add Watford 5 Blades 0. The Dad's Army team, Thompson, Withe at al. Frozen underplayed how I felt that day, I think we were 4 down after about 30 minutes and then afterwards on national radio Burridge makes his awful Rorke's Drift comment.

I was fuming over that game too. Don't get many opportunities to get to a cup final and knobhead (Colin) passes up the chance to even give it a proper go. Pre-match you could tell he wasn't bothered, it was all about the Premier cash.

To the worst I'd add Watford 5 Blades 0. The Dad's Army team, Thompson, Withe at al. Frozen underplayed how I felt that day, I think we were 4 down after about 30 minutes and then afterwards on national radio Burridge makes his awful Rorke's Drift comment.
Yeah was at that one (in 85 or 86?). They had Barnes and Blissett. We didn't. For some reason, I went in a t-shirt and thin jacket. Probably the coldest I've ever been at a match. Even colder than Oldham........

Back
Top Bottom