Three best FA Cup 3rd Round games for United

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
Of games I have seen I would say:
2014 Villa 1 United 2. We had had a miserable few years and it was a nice change to visit a Premier League ground. I didn't hold out much hope, we were still worried about being relegated to the fourth tier. We played brilliantly, Maguire was superb marking Benteke. Murphy gave us the lead, when Villa equalised I thought 'oh well we gave them a game'. The Ryan Flynn winner in front of thousands of Blades fans was a great strike , it had been a superb atmosphere and we held out for an unexpected win.

1996 United 1 Arsenal 0. Again, we had had a miserable couple of years, this was an early sign that Howard Kendall was turning things round. Good play by Whitehouse, he crossed it and Veart headed the winning goal for an upset. It was in the year Bruce Rioch was in charge, an early cup exit probably hastened his exit. Veart, Nade and Mousset are all fondly remembered for scoring winning goals against Arsenal.

2015 QPR 0 United 3, a second consecutive away 3rd round game against Premier League opposition. We again played well, Jamal Campbell-Ryce was brilliant and scored two, I can't remember who got the other goal? To beat a top flight team so impressively was a big boost and again showed what a good cup manager Nigel Clough was.
Hopefully another away win against Premier League opposition on Sunday!

January 3rd 1971. Blades 2 Everton 1.

First Division champions Everton were beaten by second division Sheffield United. Despite being a goal down the Blades fought back with two headed goals from Colin Addison and Gil Reece. Both goals were from typical pin-point crosses from Alan Woodward.

Great atmosphere.

2015 QPR 0 United 3, a second consecutive away 3rd round game against Premier League opposition. We again played well, Jamal Campbell-Ryce was brilliant and scored two, I can't remember who got the other goal? To beat a top flight team so impressively was a big boost and again showed what a good cup manager Nigel Clough was.
Mark McNulty

Utd 1 Cardiff 3

First game i ever missed - thankfully

January 7th 1989 Huddersfield 0 Blades 1

Brilliant Tony Agana goal settles a tight Yorkshire derby.

January 12th 1993 (replay) Burnley 2 Blades 4

Brian Deane' hat-trick of headers sets the Blades on their way to a semi-final Wembley appearance.

January 23rd 1999 (replay) Notts Co 3 Blades 4

The Blades hit 3 late goals to complete an incredible comeback after being 3-1 down and seemingly out.

First Division champions Everton were beaten by second division Sheffield United. Despite being a goal down the Blades fought back with two headed goals from Colin Addison and Gil Reece. Both goals were from typical pin-point crosses from Alan Woodward.

Great atmosphere.

Brian Deane' hat-trick of headers sets the Blades on their way to a semi-final Wembley appearance.

The Blades hit 3 late goals to complete an incredible comeback after being 3-1 down and seemingly out.
I was stood right behind that Borborkis free kick. Superb.

Remember Wayne Quinn kicking the ball at the hoardings in frustration at that Notts County game, it bounced up and into the crowd and the ref sent him off for time wasting.

Also think it got postponed once (or maybe twice?) before it got played due to a frozen pitch. Was my first trip to Meadow Lane remember thinking it might never happen!

Great atmosphere.

Utd 1 Cardiff 3

First game i ever missed - thankfully

1971 was the 2-0 defeat at Portsmouth in the 3rd round. My first FA Cup match

Of games I have seen I would say:
2014 Villa 1 United 2. We had had a miserable few years and it was a nice change to visit a Premier League ground. I didn't hold out much hope, we were still worried about being relegated to the fourth tier. We played brilliantly, Maguire was superb marking Benteke. Murphy gave us the lead, when Villa equalised I thought 'oh well we gave them a game'. The Ryan Flynn winner in front of thousands of Blades fans was a great strike , it had been a superb atmosphere and we held out for an unexpected win.

1996 United 1 Arsenal 0. Again, we had had a miserable couple of years, this was an early sign that Howard Kendall was turning things round. Good play by Whitehouse, he crossed it and Veart headed the winning goal for an upset. It was in the year Bruce Rioch was in charge, an early cup exit probably hastened his exit. Veart, Nade and Mousset are all fondly remembered for scoring winning goals against Arsenal.

That atmosphere at Villa Park was one of the best I've experienced following United, it was unreal.

It was odd at the time because it seemed a pretty meaningless cup tie that was never going to lead to much as we were a League One side. Little did we know we'd up at Wembley and very nearly in the final!

Everton 0 - Blades 1. January 7th, 1961. Billy Russell goal.

I went with a couple of mates from school, and what a fantastic day out! The Blades were then in the second division, heading for promotion, and Everton were in the first.

I remember that on the way out of Goodison Park the three of us - wearing Blades scarves - were told more than once by Everton fans that United deserved to win.

Watford 0 Blades 1 about 1968 Mick Hill scored it was my first away game (Silent may put me right) saw the team coach stop at one of the service stations on the way back and got Willie Carlins autograph

The game already posted when we beat Everton 2-1 1970 at the Lane great atmosphere from what I can remember went on the John Street Terrace for the first time

I’m ready for someone doing a ‘Silent’ on me with my memory………

Earlyish 1970’s Blades 2, Bristol City 0.

If I remember rightly, TC came on as a second half sub and secured the result with a goal scored at the Lane end ???

Watford 0 Blades 1 about 1968 Mick Hill scored it was my first away game (Silent may put me right) saw the team coach stop at one of the service stations on the way back and got Willie Carlins autograph

The game already posted when we beat Everton 2-1 1970 at the Lane great atmosphere from what I can remember went on the John Street Terrace for the first time

Did TC play for Watford in this one?

Ok not 3rd round but....
Blades 2 - 1 Man U (1993)
Loved this game. Electric atmosphere & live on BBC. The Bruce missed penalty was the icing on the cake.⚔️

This is about the third round.

1971 was the 2-0 defeat at Portsmouth in the 3rd round. My first FA Cup match
Cardiff 1-3.

Remember John Flynn scoring for us at Lane end where I was stood I think.. missed kids Xmas do at granddads wmc to go and he wasn’t impressed!! Pig you see 😨

Everton 0 - Blades 1. January 7th, 1961. Billy Russell goal.

I went with a couple of mates from school, and what a fantastic day out! The Blades were then in the second division, heading for promotion, and Everton were in the first.

I remember that on the way out of Goodison Park the three of us - wearing Blades scarves - were told more than once by Everton fans that United deserved to win.
If you haven’t seen it, the thread ‘60 Years Ago this month’, posts 360-370, has a lot of information, pictures, etc., from that day. My experience at the end of the game was a little different to yours - on the way back to the station, we were chased by a group of disgruntled youngsters. It was my first experience of a threatening moment at a football match. Fortunately, I could run quite fast. I have always been a coward…

If you haven’t seen it, the thread ‘60 Years Ago this month’, posts 360-370, has a lot of information, pictures, etc., from that day. My experience at the end of the game was a little different to yours - on the way back to the station, we were chased by a group of disgruntled youngsters. It was my first experience of a threatening moment at a football match. Fortunately, I could run quite fast. I have always been a coward…
Help me out here.
I recall going with my a Dad to see us win a cup match at the Lane. I thought it was against Everton and we scored twice at the BL end.
It would be late 50s or early 60s
????????

I’m ready for someone doing a ‘Silent’ on me with my memory………

Earlyish 1970’s Blades 2, Bristol City 0.

If I remember rightly, TC came on as a second half sub and secured the result with a goal scored at the Lane end ???
1975. Currie played all game, made the first goal when his “shot” was headed in by Dearden

Did TC play for Watford in this one?
I've just been reading that part in TC's book and no, he didn't play in that game. The reason being that the deal to bring him to the Blades had just been agreed with part of it being he didn't play against us (and wouldn't be cup-tied). TC was unaware at the time and was peed off at being left out by Furphy, then Watford's manager.

Back
Top Bottom