This forum/fan atmosphere has become toxic

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Post of the day. We're all miffed, but were all Blades also. Take care. God bless, and I'm convinced we'll do Leeds this Saturday.

It's on Sunday isn't it? I hope so, otherwise I've completely stuffed up my weekend.

Sorry for being pedantic. I agree with your post, 9th in the league last season, cup quarter finalists, best league manager (and runner up the following year), lost 2 games (one to a good Wolves team who ran Man City close tonight), and one we were a penalty miss away from getting a result despite having 10 men for 80 minutes, and there are people on here tearing us apart. We have got one of the best managers we have ever had,he'll sort it out. UTB

This is a problem in society in general.
Yep....Twitter etc doesn't help; there's no conversation or exchange, you either agree or you're a twat.

On top of that, it's a funny old time in the world isn't it, lots of understandably frustrated people. If they want to talk a bit o' shite about the football, let them I reckon. Bit irritating but won't keep me awake at night. And if you don't agree you're a twat.

This forum is the least toxic football forum I’ve ever seen.

Agreed. I know we (collectively) moan and bitch and complain and argue, but.. considering there's nearly 10,000 of us on here, it's still a relatively rare popcorn event when someone (publicly) loses their shit and gets banned.

You can also generally tell which people are a bit toxic and will go off on one before they actually do it. I think it fair to say there's a few repeat customers?

It really, really baffles me. People who choose to look at and contribute to a discussion forum, but yet can't read alternative view points without imploding.

There's a certain number of them who would only be happy if they could post into an echo chamber of precisely like-minded individuals every time they came on.

From my observations at least, it's primarily those who don't want to see any criticism, however justified. Very rarely have I seen people moaning about posters being too positive, which a case can certainly be made about (that's mainly to impress other pro-echo chamber folk and receive their likes).

I have no idea why anyone would want to continue using a forum if it gets them so triggered when they see things they don't agree with.

They're just making themselves unhappy whilst causing a toxic atmosphere for people who, shock, are actually able to explain why they think someone else is wrong.

I have been critical tonight and after Wolves, no doubt. I do always try and make that criticism constructive though (probably fail a bit though).

I'm not the only one that feels this way, the last time I recall it being anything like this was after the Barnet or Southend game.

There doesn't seem to be any nuance anymore.

Anyone who suggests we are in for a difficult season or is critical of the club in any way (as I posted last year and won't post about it again as I was delightfully and spectacularly proven wrong) is called a bedwetter and told to go off to Hillsborough.

Those who are positive about the prospects this season are called deluded/having rose tinted specs.

It's time for people to play the poster not the poster, and not to always assume the worst in everyone's intentions and have a constructive discussion with respect. I've been guilty of this myself (before someone brings the Villa meltdown up 😂 ) though recently I'm sure it's put people off posting/joining here.

We are all Blades and we are in the PL and should enjoy it, though that doesn't mean everything is perfect and it's ok to point that out or be worried about things.

RANT OVER

;)
Sadly I think you’re right. I’m posting way less than I used to and picking my posts/ replies carefully as I can’t be arsed with some of the nonsense

It’s the world in general at the minute, particularly social media. Everyone has grown to think that on absolutely anything where you can hold an opinion, you have to pick a position, and battle the others. Fence-sitting, empathy and bipartisanism are all dead. It’s pathetic really.

Of course, the important thing about this is that I’ve found a way to feel superior to everyone.

It’s always toxic when we lose. It always has been.

I've unfollowed most of the facebook sites as the level of post is pre-school at best, just fully winds me up. No problem with differing opinions but at least back it up with some rationale and not just listing a players name with s**t or w**k after it.

UTB

We are a blood and thunder team who feed so much off our wonderfully raucous fans. Jurgen Klop himself said he’s never seen a fanbase so at one with their team, than at BDTBL. So yes if anything relegates us it’ll be the lack of fans in the ground. Whereas the more pedestrian and technically gifted teams will prosper without the pressure and weight of expectations and criticism a big demanding full house would bring.
So raucous that in our last promotion season, the atmosphere was less than great unless a ref, eg v Derby, enraged the crowd.

We all knew that at some point we would have a bad spell, and we all agreed we'd back the players and manager given all they've achieved for us. What we didn't know is that it wouldn't start till the tail-end of a fantastic Premier League season.

Wilder is an outstanding manager with a great tactician in Knill backing him up. Many of these players have given us more and won more than even our most optimistic would've dared to believe. This hasn't fallen apart overnight. It's a rough spot, and there's plenty of reason to believe we'll get through it. But maybe we won't. Maybe we won't survive a second season. What changes? It'd be painful for us as fans, but in terms of looking to bounce back there'd still be no one I'd rather have at the helm than Wilder.

Nerves are fine. Criticism is fine. It just has to be done in the context of how well we've done and how difficult the task is. This is the best division in the world and we're right smack in it. Let's get a few more games down before we go off the deep end.

It really, really baffles me. People who choose to look at and contribute to a discussion forum, but yet can't read alternative view points without imploding.

There's a certain number of them who would only be happy if they could post into an echo chamber of precisely like-minded individuals every time they came on.

From my observations at least, it's primarily those who don't want to see any criticism, however justified. Very rarely have I seen people moaning about posters being too positive, which a case can certainly be made about (that's mainly to impress other pro-echo chamber folk and receive their likes).

I have no idea why anyone would want to continue using a forum if it gets them so triggered when they see things they don't agree with.

They're just making themselves unhappy whilst causing a toxic atmosphere for people who, shock, are actually able to explain why they think someone else is wrong.

I think, of course, you have to root any assessment of the validity of any argument in context. The context being twofold:-

1) Recent performances - we’ve flown up the leagues under this management team after the worst period of our recent history. Our faith and confidence has been completely restored in who is the best manager I’ve known at SUFC and shrewd operators in the boardroom. The management, club and players have an enormous amount of credit in the bank.

2) We’re talking about football supporters - people won’t take criticism of anything they love well, particularly if it is unfair criticism. We’re two games into a new season after finishing 9th last year. People are going to take umbrage when fans say the world’s ending. If we’re 10 games in then i hazard you’ll get a more forgiving audience.

To anyone who hasn't already seen it, I would highly recommend watching 'The Social Dilemma' on Netflix. It's not hard to find links between our collective behaviours in the modern age and the prevalence of social media usage.

The polarisation that society now suffers from in a political sense which has been fuelled and fostered by social media is spreading to other walks of life, and I believe football isn't immune from this. You can have two people with opposing views on United, but because both views have been positively reinforced by likes and comments, both people will be convinced that they are correct and the middle ground becomes increasingly harder to reach. This of course can breed anger, resentment and, sadly, personal abuse. It's a very difficult thing to tackle.

It's on Sunday isn't it? I hope so, otherwise I've completely stuffed up my weekend.

Sorry for being pedantic. I agree with your post, 9th in the league last season, cup quarter finalists, best league manager (and runner up the following year), lost 2 games (one to a good Wolves team who ran Man City close tonight), and one we were a penalty miss away from getting a result despite having 10 men for 80 minutes, and there are people on here tearing us apart. We have got one of the best managers we have ever had,he'll sort it out. UTB

Provided we can start scoring goals.

Apparently had 3 shots in two league games.

This is a problem in society in general.

Nail on the head for me.

Perfect storm of allsorts really I would say. Crap start, not being able to go, the whole Covid situation and not being able to do a lot of the things we would normally do to relive the stress of life.

Everything is a bit shit, and it's making people turn on each other, even on here I'm afraid to say.

Shouldn't be the responsibilty of Foxy or Linz to police this, we should all be grown up enough to police ourselves.

Too many aren't

Happy when we win, mardy when we lose. Unfortunately, that's the way football fans are. Unfair if it's offensive or aggressive to others though.

I'm sure we've all been sat near fans in the past that are still moaning despite us winning/ playing our best.
Yes but only over a period of 45 years.😳 It has ever been thus.
I often wonder how much being a 2 club city influences behaviour. A kind of defence mechanism knowing local rival fans wil rip the piss the following day at work after a loss.
Would there be such over-reaction with only one team?
Some of them lot behave in exactly the same fashion. Perhaps it's a glass half empty Sheffield mentality.
Lot's of contributing factors and human behaviour never fails to intrigue me with football in the mix.
I thought we showed some courage last night. Many teams would have been buried under such circumstances Imho. Think Villa will struggle again.
It's very early doors,new players to bed in,formation tweaks and we will be as competitive as ever.
2 steps forward,one step back. Football is a microcosm of life.😊UTB.

Last edited:

The inability to beat Arsenal in the cup was another sign of the decline.
Thrown away and passed off as OK.
His cup record is dire.

We’ve lost 5 games in a row but I wouldn’t look too much in to back end of last season I’m sure it’ll click soon some fans are been very dramatic it could be a lot lot worse

No the shots thing was some stat listed on one of the transfer rumours page. Didn't think it was that bad. Maybe it was on target?
It can't get much worse so the only way is up.It'll be reyt.

I'm not the only one that feels this way, the last time I recall it being anything like this was after the Barnet or Southend game.

There doesn't seem to be any nuance anymore.

Anyone who suggests we are in for a difficult season or is critical of the club in any way (as I posted last year and won't post about it again as I was delightfully and spectacularly proven wrong) is called a bedwetter and told to go off to Hillsborough.

Those who are positive about the prospects this season are called deluded/having rose tinted specs.

It's time for people to play the poster not the poster, and not to always assume the worst in everyone's intentions and have a constructive discussion with respect. I've been guilty of this myself (before someone brings the Villa meltdown up 😂 ) though recently I'm sure it's put people off posting/joining here.

We are all Blades and we are in the PL and should enjoy it, though that doesn't mean everything is perfect and it's ok to point that out or be worried about things.

RANT OVER

;)
I don’t think is just this forum FM. I think most football forums are the same as is social media in general. A sad reflection of current times mate, there’s so much hate and vitriol about, I limit my self now. What used to be an enjoyable pastime usually ends up with me feeling pissed off and incredulous, and if I want to feel like that I can just take the Mrs shopping.

Yes but only over a period of 45 years.😳 It has ever been thus.
I often wonder how much being a 2 club city influences behaviour. A kind of defence mechanism knowing local rival fans wil rip the piss the following day at work after a loss.
Would there be such over-reaction with only one team?
Some of them lot behave in exactly the same fashion. Perhaps it's a glass half empty Sheffield mentality.
Lot's of contributing factors and human behaviour never fails to intrigue me with football in the mix.
I thought we showed some courage last night. Many teams would have been buried under such circumstances Imho. Think Villa will struggle again.
It's very early doors,new players to bed in,formation tweaks and we will be as competitive as ever.
2 steps forward,one step back. Football is a microcosm of life.😊UTB.

The 'glass half empty' Sheffield mentality only really refers to us, the other lot are not only glass half full regards their team but pop a cup of piss in a blue and white striped cup and they'll swear it's Dom Perignon!

I agree with you regards Villa, and I'd say with 11 men we certainly don't lose that game. Even in the rare events that were our attacks, they looked very shaky. That said, we didn't capitalise and as such why I think a season in the bottom third beckons for us also. We'll be competitive for sure, but this early inability to defend set pieces along with no goals is a worry.

The 'glass half empty' Sheffield mentality only really refers to us, the other lot are not only glass half full regards their team but pop a cup of piss in a blue and white striped cup and they'll swear it's Dom Perignon!

I agree with you regards Villa, and I'd say with 11 men we certainly don't lose that game. Even in the rare events that were our attacks, they looked very shaky. That said, we didn't capitalise and as such why I think a season in the bottom third beckons for us also. We'll be competitive for sure, but this early inability to defend set pieces along with no goals is a worry.
😂Like your Dom Perignon analogy mate.
I agree about the bottom third this season and that's fine. 16/17th is my pick. Iv'e seen too much resilience in us over the past 4 seasons to worry about us being relegated
We have to go again without perhaps some of those who "turned up"last season, invitable for me.
Think CWAK are still sussing out which of them are up to it.
I don't fear for us like some do. But then my glass is always half full😉

People are forgetting what shit we've come through to get here, I suppose the moaning is based more around "we've got here, its our big chance so lets not balls it up" but at the moment we're doing quite a good job of making life difficult for ourselves.

We need to win 10 games to still be in this division next season, 11 to make it a certainty, its up to CWAK now to make some tweaks again to keep us fresh and difficult to play against.

So raucous that in our last promotion season, the atmosphere was less than great unless a ref, eg v Derby, enraged the crowd.
The team responded to the crowd.....Simple as that.

We hard a bad start to the season 2016/17.but look what happened 100 points and won the league.of course i am not saying we will do this in the premier lea
I think it takes a bit of time to gain momentum.with hardly any pre-season.this could be one of the reasons to the start we have had.no excuses for losing at to Wolves.You could argue the referee cost us at Villa yesterday.Leeds next sunday at Bramall Lane.they will be cocky but i am sure the Blades will take them down a peg or two.a victory againt them will get us going.hopefully the we can get some momentum to take us way from the botton six.i would prefer to have problems now.time to get things right.than towards end of season.worry not fellow Blades we will be ok.in Wilder we trust.Up The Blades

Back
Top Bottom