The 'not great players, but universally well liked' ex United player thread

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I’m one if the few who don’t think fondly of McGrath. Played his way into a contract, then “broke down” very shortly afterwards.

I suspect he had our pants down.

It’s an interesting one. I only saw him a couple of times, and it was enough to see a ridiculous natural talent.

But yeah, he hardly played, so I’d never hold him in huge affection as a blades player. Being able to turn out is an underrated quality. See Egan, J.

Nothing was hidden from us by McGrath so it’s our fault for the contract given that we still agreed he could stay in Manchester and just travel over for the games

This is essentially the deal we gave Paddy McCarthy, and he is pretty much universally regarded as a cunt. I mean he was shite too of course....

This is essentially the deal we gave Paddy McCarthy, and he is pretty much universally regarded as a cunt. I mean he was shite too of course....
He was just a loanee wasn’t he? I’m sure if we had signed him he would have been made to be in training every day. McGrath was different as he physically was not able to train during the week due to his knees. Plus McGrath was truly world class and I’m was just happy to see such a player in a Blades shirt

A world class defender in his day, obviously his best days behind him but I thought he was class for the short time we had him. I doubt very much he had our pants down when he couldn’t train with us during the week because of his knees, he’d turn up in Sheffield on the morning of a game or if we were very lucky the day before a game and do some light training, often blind drunk. Nothing was hidden from us by McGrath so it’s our fault for the contract given that we still agreed he could stay in Manchester and just travel over for the games even after the loan was up and contract given so him being an alcoholic at that time we only had ourselves to blame as it was only going to end up one way although his knees were well and truly gone at that stage. I don’t blame him for it tbh, like I said I think he was class for us but he was a troubled soul and after following him on Twitter and insta he seems to be doing really well and is teetotal and we get the odd post from him wishing us well so the big fella will do for me.
He managed to cope with all the ailments / alcohol when on a short term contract. As soon as he got a deal, they “got the better of him”.

I never bought it, but we’ll never know.

He managed to cope with all the ailments / alcohol when on a short term contract. As soon as he got a deal, they “got the better of him”.

I never bought it, but we’ll never know.

How far into the season was he given a contract and how long was it for?

Blimey mate you have come up with some great players in a thread about not so great players.

The criteria stated is "wouldn't get into an all time best XI". None of those players would get into a sensible all time United team. The best players on that list (Speed, McGrath, Cowans and McCall) were all well past their best when they signed for us. McGrath had to retire because he was completely shot, in fact.

It depends how far we’re stretching the idea of ‘not great players’

Someone like Pesch was pretty universally liked but wasn’t what you’d call a bad player or a clogger.

I don’t think you could really include McGrath in this, as although his well documented problems have been discussed on here already, he was absolutely a ‘great player’, but I’d agree he was well liked.

Nuddy was a pretty popular guy, unpredictable, capable of the spectacular, capable of disappearing for 90 minutes too! But I’d say he’s maybe too good to be included (if we’re strictly adhering to the rules of the thread 😂- I’m overthinking this aren’t I)

The criteria stated is "wouldn't get into an all time best XI". None of those players would get into a sensible all time United team. The best players on that list (Speed, McGrath, Cowans and McCall) were all well past their best when they signed for us. McGrath had to retire because he was completely shot, in fact.
Thread title “not great players” hence my post saying some great players were named, understand now? Really wasn’t that hard to follow tbh.

I never said I or anyone else would be putting them in an all time best 11 so not sure how you came up with that from my post. I also never said they were not past their best, in fact the only player I have mentioned by name on this thread is McGrath and I have said he was past his best, I also said he was completely done with the knees.

Thread title “not great players” hence my post saying some great players were named, understand now? Really wasn’t that hard to follow tbh.

I never said I or anyone else would be putting them in an all time best 11 so not sure how you came up with that from my post. I also never said they were not past their best, in fact the only player I have mentioned by name on this thread is McGrath and I have said he was past his best, I also said he was completely done with the knees.

That was the criteria set out in the opening post though, wasn't it?

"As an antidote to the most hated player thread, Let's see what players are the least hated.

Also let's steer away from anyone who would be a contender for the Best United XI too, so your Billy Sharps and your Brian Deane's are ineligible."

Really isn't that hard to follow, to be honest.

My choice would be Tony Kenworthy. When I first started supporting United, he was my favourite player. Wasn't a great player and had his best seasons for us in the third and fourth division, but played his heart out for us in a declining side. Can't think of any other defenders who have scored 16 goals in a season either, albeit quite a number of penalties and the odd free-kick.

That was the criteria set out in the opening post though, wasn't it?

"As an antidote to the most hated player thread, Let's see what players are the least hated.

Also let's steer away from anyone who would be a contender for the Best United XI too, so your Billy Sharps and your Brian Deane's are ineligible."

Really isn't that hard to follow, to be honest.
I can follow it fine but seems your really struggling.

Me, the poster I quoted, and you are all in agreement the players mentioned would not get into our all time best team so not sure what your bleating on about tbh as we agree on that point as no one has suggested they would be close to our best team.

Thread title “Not so great” a poster then named some great players, so I commented that he had named some great players, that’s it, that’s all I said, not hard to follow is it? When I read the thread title that the players had to be “not so great” I expected the thread to be heavily leaning towards the Bob Booker type so I was quite surprised to see the type of players of the calibre of Speed, McCall, Cowans, McGrath. Hopefully that clear it up for you.

Back
Top Bottom