The 'not great players, but universally well liked' ex United player thread

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Same with Speed and Cowans. Would be far too good for us in their prime, but still better performers at the age of 45 or whatever age they were.

Neither would get in many all time XIs though, the criteria laid out in the opening post.

Stretch is a great call, obviously as is Bash. Think the others probably do qualify in some way as great.

Coutts, Whitehouse for two who are incredibly popular and two of my favourite players. I’d say great, others may think differently. McGrath is surely one of the best to wear a Blades shirt.
I’m one if the few who don’t think fondly of McGrath. Played his way into a contract, then “broke down” very shortly afterwards.

I suspect he had our pants down.

Ian Benjamin,highest scoringrate, 3 goals in 5 games,£100 000 1979 transferfee, made 500 games lower league.

Last edited:
Booker
Geary
Bash

Most of the names in this thread seen to be popular players, but whose popularity is just proportional to their quality.

For me, these three gained extreme popularity, through graft and personality, beyond their abilities.

As an antidote to the most hated player thread, Let's see what players are the least hated.

Also let's steer away from anyone who would be a contender for the Best United XI too, so your Billy Sharps and your Brian Deane's are ineligible.

I'm going to start off with Jon Stead. Think he got a raw deal under Robson and Blackwell, but always seemed to be committed, and his premier league goals against West Ham and Wigan will live long in the memory.
Thought he could have linked up well with Sharp instead of buying Beattie and recreate the Sharp/ Keogh partnership Billy thrived in at Scunthorpe.

I feel I should toss in some names after unleashing a lot of bile in the other thread.

Chris Armstrong
Gary Speed
Paul McGrath
Chris Basham
Stuart McCall
Gordon Cowans

Some are popular parts of great teams but wouldn't really get in an all time team, others weren't with us long and towards the end of the their careers but still showed their quality.
Blimey mate you have come up with some great players in a thread about not so great players.

So many Basset era players. Gayle,Hill and Barnes were good calls, although Gayle got a lot of stick,.Add Beesley in there as well. Bryson I think was more important than Agana in the end. Carl Veart later on, ran his lungs out and played whatever role he was asked. I would say personally Mitch Ward, but with the qualification for a yard of pace he was a top quality player, but seemed to end up a utility man for a lot of his career.

I’m one if the few who don’t think fondly of McGrath. Played his way into a contract, then “broke down” very shortly afterwards.

I suspect he had our pants down.
A world class defender in his day, obviously his best days behind him but I thought he was class for the short time we had him. I doubt very much he had our pants down when he couldn’t train with us during the week because of his knees, he’d turn up in Sheffield on the morning of a game or if we were very lucky the day before a game and do some light training, often blind drunk. Nothing was hidden from us by McGrath so it’s our fault for the contract given that we still agreed he could stay in Manchester and just travel over for the games even after the loan was up and contract given so him being an alcoholic at that time we only had ourselves to blame as it was only going to end up one way although his knees were well and truly gone at that stage. I don’t blame him for it tbh, like I said I think he was class for us but he was a troubled soul and after following him on Twitter and insta he seems to be doing really well and is teetotal and we get the odd post from him wishing us well so the big fella will do for me.

Jose Baxter goal away at Preston 1-1 was worth the admission alone shame he liked White lines by Grandmaster flash and Melle Mel

Matty Done's popularity:talent ratio always seemed a bit off to me. Turned out to be a pretty limited player but don't recall him getting any stick off the crowd. Although his mad scoring run when he first joined probably put him in credit.

Back
Top Bottom