The 'not great players, but universally well liked' ex United player thread

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Klaatu Barada Nikto

Reaction score
As an antidote to the most hated player thread, Let's see what players are the least hated.

Also let's steer away from anyone who would be a contender for the Best United XI too, so your Billy Sharps and your Brian Deane's are ineligible.

I'm going to start off with Jon Stead. Think he got a raw deal under Robson and Blackwell, but always seemed to be committed, and his premier league goals against West Ham and Wigan will live long in the memory.

I feel I should toss in some names after unleashing a lot of bile in the other thread.

Chris Armstrong
Gary Speed
Paul McGrath
Chris Basham
Stuart McCall
Gordon Cowans

Some are popular parts of great teams but wouldn't really get in an all time team, others weren't with us long and towards the end of the their careers but still showed their quality.

Lee Sandford for me, big ugly defender but always stuck his head in were it hurt, had the pace of rocking horse and turning circle of a oil tanker, but always put a shift in. If my memory serves me right scored in the 95th min header in FA Cup against Reading at kop end

I feel I should toss in some names after unleashing a lot of bile in the other thread.

Chris Armstrong
Gary Speed
Paul McGrath
Chris Basham
Stuart McCall
Gordon Cowans

Some are popular parts of great teams but wouldn't really get in an all time team, others weren't with us long and towards the end of the their careers but still showed their quality.

Stretch is a great call, obviously as is Bash. Think the others probably do qualify in some way as great.

Coutts, Whitehouse for two who are incredibly popular and two of my favourite players. I’d say great, others may think differently. McGrath is surely one of the best to wear a Blades shirt.

Stretch is a great call, obviously as is Bash. Think the others probably do qualify in some way as great.

Coutts, Whitehouse for two who are incredibly popular and two of my favourite players. I’d say great, others may think differently. McGrath is surely one of the best to wear a Blades shirt.

I know what you mean about "great" but none of them had their best years at United, which was my thinking. I don't think they'd necessarily force themselves into an all-time XI although I could hear arguments for it.

Met McGrath before his first game my daughter was a mascot ,what a nice fella very humble and what a player .top drawer

Monty and Cresswell.

Both made the best of the talent they had which took them a long way in professional football.

Also both sounds blokes personally. Came to visit me in hospital when I was in for a long spell back in 2011. Both sat and talked football for an hour like we were 3 lads in a pub and took my mind off the bad news I'd just had. Both did assured me we'd get promoted that season though which I still haven't forgiven.

Chris Armstrong
Gary Speed
Paul McGrath
Chris Basham
Stuart McCall
Gordon Cowans

I find it really hard to consider that Paul McGrath wasn't a great player either generally or when he was with us despite being crocked.

Marcelo
Geary
Chris Porter

Chris Porter is another I'm raising my eyebrow at because of all the stick he got.

Jon Harley perhaps, well liked in his loan spells, can't really remember what he was like during his permanent stint with us.

Neil Shipperley?

Unfortunately this viewpoint has aged like milk following his post-retirement escapades though.

Chris Porter is another I'm raising my eyebrow at because of all the stick he got.

Jon Harley perhaps, well liked in his loan spells, can't really remember what he was like during his permanent stint with us.

Porter became a bit of a cult hero in the end. Can’t remember him getting massive stick, was more of an acceptance of where we were, rather than him being singled out and scape goated?

Back
Top Bottom