The board did not sack Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Both the above 2 comments are about right I believe. And the 7m is total bull. Hopefully there will be a limited gagging order and some of the truth comes out.

No they didn't sack him, but call it constructive dismissal if you will. Presented with terms he wouldn't accept so took a dismissal package.
Im not saying anything further on it right now.

What a load of shite.

We go through the likes of Weir and Adkins without bothering to force a 'structure' on them.

Then we get a successful and widely admired manager and decide the best thing to do is force stuff on him and piss him off so that he leaves.

What a bunch of wankers

I hope Prince Abdullah sells up as soon as possible and never ventures anywhere near Bramall Lane again.

Last edited:
They’ve made his position untenable and CW thinks their plan is not in the clubs best interests. Anyone can make a statement saying they love an employee, but if you are actively making their job impossible it’s basically a means of managing them out of the business. We’ve all had jobs where you look at your boss and think that’s a bad decision for the business / that’s the wrong way to do this. When you reach that point you move on.

CW proposed keeping the players (bear in mind our wages will be nowhere near the best in the Championship so not an unusual burden), adding a few loan players and improving the training ground from Dog & Duck standards. If we can’t even manage that then I suggest we’re in massive trouble financially. And we’ve zero chance of attracting a manager anywhere near the standard of Chris.

What a mess.

What a load of shite.

We go through the likes of Weir and Adkins without bothering to force a 'structure' on them.

Then we get a successful and widely admired manager and decide the best thing to do is force stuff in him and piss him off so that he leaves.

What a bunch of wankers

I hope Prince Abdullah sells up as soon as possible and never ventures anywhere near Bramall Lane again.

Correct; where was the Director of Football for Clough? It’s something they know CW won’t accept and they are trying to making his position untenable so they can manage him out. If he resigns they save loads of money. It’s in their interest to make his job difficult (but make meaningless public statements of support) so they find the cheapest route of getting rid.

As none of us know what is happening at the moment, why would anyone instinctively side with the board comprising rich men with a plaything and bean counters with no real affinity with Sheffield United against a man who has achieved great things for us and has Sheffield United in his DNA?

As none of us know what is happening at the moment, why would anyone instinctively side with the board comprising rich men with a plaything and bean counters with no real affinity with Sheffield United against a man who has achieved great things for us and has Sheffield United in his DNA?
Really, nobody should pick a side until we know more, but that's not going to happen is it.

What a load of shite.

Then we get a successful and widely admired manager and decide the best thing to do is force stuff in him and piss him off so that he leaves.

What a bunch of wankers

Yes, but as bad as Weir and Adkins were they:
1. Weren’t operating in the Premier League.
2. Didn’t waste a kings ransom on players that aren’t up to scratch and, in some cases, weren’t what we needed.
3. Didn’t oversee one of the worse periods of losing form by any team, in any league, ever.
4. Didn’t spend press conferences taking potshots at the clubs hierarchy.

I’m gutted he’s gone if it’s confirmed, but only because I was hoping the Wilder of 2 years ago would re-emerge. This surrendering, petulant version I’m less sure about.

The problem the board have is that CW clearly wants the best for the club. And when he moves on he’ll be sat with us again.

There as a yawning, impact crater sized chasm between the operational structure needed in League 1, compared to the Premier League.

What a load of shite.

What a bunch of wankers

Most successful and widely admired manager?

Bottom of the prem with some of the worst displays since the creation of the league.

100 million spent on British talent that are not fit for the Prem.

No tactical plan B. If you’ve lost your best defender and a lot of the a squad have lost form would it have not been better to switch to a normal 4-4-2 formation for a while?

Bottom of the prem with some of the worst displays since the creation of the league.

No tactical plan B. If you’ve lost your best defender and a lot of the a squad have lost form would it have not been better to switch to a normal 4-4-2 formation for a while?

You missed Pep’s comments then?

Yes, but as bad as Weir and Adkins were they:
1. Weren’t operating in the Premier League.
2. Didn’t waste a kings ransom on players that aren’t up to scratch and, in some cases, weren’t what we needed.
3. Didn’t oversee one of the worse periods of losing form by any team, in any league, ever.
4. Didn’t spend press conferences taking potshots at the clubs hierarchy.

I’m gutted he’s gone if it’s confirmed, but only because I was hoping the Wilder of 2 years ago would re-emerge. This surrendering, petulant version I’m less sure about.

FFS this lame arsed it's all Wilders fault because he didn't sign loadsa great players argument.

1. Wilder has been fishing in a very small pond for talent given thr restrictions the board gave him i.e. must be young and up and coming, must be cheap wages wise.
2. Evidently a lot of these signings weren't his first choice. E.g. He got gazumped wages wise for sodding Antonee Robinson by Fulham.
3. It's not as if we paid over the odds when the likes of Maupay, Wesley and Joelinton went for bigger fees and have been equally uninspiring.

Sick of this dumb argument.

If we paid Premier League wages we'd probably have signed players who could have gone straight. We don't and that's on the board.

I'm glad Wilder spends his press conferences taking pot shots at the club hierarchy. He was trying to force their hand. What do you want instead, some patsy who just murmers empty words because that's probably what will come next and we'll all hate it.

I do worry who has/had the best interests of the club at heart: the board or Chris Wilder.

Whether or not the training facilities are rebuilt will be a big indicator to me as to the intentions of the board.

At least new facilities would be one positive legacy from these 2 seasons in the PL.

UTB

Oh I'm sorry. Yeah your right he's utterly shit. Any manager would have taken us from League One to the brink of Europe ona limited budget, picking up the LMA manager of the year on the way.

Of course we should go back to the dinosaur period and play 442 with no actual wingers in the squad. It was so successful pre-Wilder. Jesus wept. It's so simple init. It's like Sunday League football, right lads 442 today.

No tactical plan B. If you’ve lost your best defender and a lot of the a squad have lost form would it have not been better to switch to a normal 4-4-2 formation for a while? steaming bullshit
Absolute bullshit

FFS this lame arsed it's all Wilders fault because he didn't sign loadsa great players argument.

1. Wilder has been fishing in a very small pond for talent given thr restrictions the board gave him i.e. must be young and up and coming, must be cheap wages wise.
2. Evidently a lot of these signings weren't his first choice. E.g. He got gazumped wages wise for sodding Antonee Robinson by Fulham.
3. It's not as if we paid over the odds when the likes of Maupay, Wesley and Joelinton went for bigger fees and have been equally uninspiring.

Sick of this dumb argument.

If we paid Premier League wages we'd probably have signed players who could have gone straight. We don't and that's on the board.

I'm glad Wilder spends his press conferences taking pot shots at the club hierarchy. He was trying to force their hand. What do you want instead, some patsy who just murmers empty words because that's probably what will come next and we'll all hate it.
You seem to know a lot about what the board has told Wilder. Citations please.

There as a yawning, impact crater sized chasm between the operational structure needed in League 1 the National league, compared to the Premier League.
There it sorted it for you. ;)

Trust it doesn't get that bad but the last time we had such a great top tier finish we went hurtling downwards like an uncontrollable lift.

There it sorted it for you. ;)

Trust it doesn't get that bad but the last time we had such a great top tier finish we went hurtling downwards like an uncontrollable lift.
I’m sure it won’t get that bad. It’s a critical appointment though, that’s for sure.

There’s most probably blame on both sides. Football fans don’t do nuance at the best of times, let alone at one as gut wrenching as this.

I love Wilder and I’m gutted he’s gone, gutted. But I’m not buying this, benevolent Wilder, that can do no wrong against the wicked Prince that is bleeding the club dry.

Maybe, if Wilder loves the club so much, he’d put up with the club being run, in some aspects, that he doesn’t agree with.

When an owner keeps buying tinpot clubs worldwide. Big media reveal etc. Has a club in the best league in the world and appears to under invest in that asset. Has an employee who is virtually responsible for the success of that big assets rise, and you undervalue his importance. A clash of ego, culture and depth of actual football knowledge perhaps. Throw in a pandemic, injury crisis and loss of form. Also some , in hindsight, poor use of transfer budget. It’s been a learning curve too severe to hang on . CW is too involved, too attached to his club, his team. He is nobody’s fool and nobody’s puppet.
I hate to see it end like this. But something had to give.
Thank you Chris. Go with all our best wishes and appreciation. Wherever you go to, whoever you end up managing, you’ll always be able to look back at these last 5 years as when you lifted your club, our club, up from obscurity and showed us the light.
we move on, as we always will, into the next chapter, for better for worse.
whoever owns us, whoever manages us, whoever plays for us, we will always be Blades.
Now , we’ve put your personal stuff in a box , waiting for you in the car park. If you wouldn’t mind giving me your company car keys and mobile phone.

Back
Top Bottom