Ten years ago today- David Weir's last match

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
If we think times are hard at the moment it is nothing like ten years ago. October 8th 2013 United lose 1-0 at home to Hartlepool in the Johnstone Paint Trophy to bring his time as manager to an end. Some awful matches trying to play out from the back with players who couldn't do it. Weir looked a broken man on the touchline after the game.

If we think times are hard at the moment it is nothing like ten years ago. October 8th 2013 United lose 1-0 at home to Hartlepool in the Johnstone Paint Trophy to bring his time as manager to an end. Some awful matches trying to play out from the back with players who couldn't do it. Weir looked a broken man on the touchline after the game.

“Some awful matches trying to play out from the back with players who couldn't do it. “

Sounds a bit like this season. Weir has been lambasted for years but maybe, just maybe he was before his time…trying to play out from the back when world was still pumping it long.

I have been following the bales for 64 years. If only some of today's 'fans' had seen some of the dire stuff we have endured during that time. What did people really expect this season? I didn't expect us to start well with the late signing of players, not one of them with Prem experience except Tom Davies who hasn't played for a year. We have to just take it on the chin this year. It will be a hard watch but hope springs eternal.

I have been following the bales for 64 years. If only some of today's 'fans' had seen some of the dire stuff we have endured during that time. What did people really expect this season? I didn't expect us to start well with the late signing of players, not one of them with Prem experience except Tom Davies who hasn't played for a year. We have to just take it on the chin this year. It will be a hard watch but hope springs eternal.
Who are these ‘BALES’? They sound as poor as us BLADES🤣👍

Was at that Pool game, feels a lifetime ago now. Overriding memory being the numbness at the full time whistle - nobody booed, no aggression just kind of a stunned silence. Bizarre state of affairs, and the interview afterwards almost comical.

To be fair to him, the attacking football and chances in those highlights are better than we've seen so far this season.

Awful to watch. Collins and a young Maguire trying to hit it to each other across our back line and attempting to follow the instruction to keep possession was scary. They weren't capable of passing it accurately enough or being able to control the ball and shit themselves as it came towards them. The opposing teams' soon sussed us and only needed to apply a little pressure to ensure our defenders were panicked enough to revert to hoofing it. On one occasion I remember Collins hitting a cross field pass to Harry too hard, Harry struggled a bit to control it and the Kop were screaming to get rid to which Harry was seen muttering something like for fuck sake before hoofing it forward. He clearly wasn't comfortable with what they were told to do and it was obvious the tactics weren't working. Wow we were so shite back then, really shite and in the last 50 odd years I've seen some shite but that stuff was utter shite.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Awful attendance. Even in the Johnson's Paint Trophy, Wednesday's ground is full to the rafters--the old timbers creaking as the faithful bounce up and down as the Owls give Bury a well-deserved thrashing.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Awful attendance. Even in the Johnson's Paint Trophy, Wednesday's ground is full to the rafters--the old timbers creaking as the faithful bounce up and down as the Owls give Bury a well-deserved thrashing.
Pig

Then we appointed a good manager who many on here dislike.

Finished 7th and reached the FA Cup semi final.

He’s disliked because playing on the counter attack at home to Rochdale was dogshit to watch and was never going to get us up.

“Some awful matches trying to play out from the back with players who couldn't do it. “

Sounds a bit like this season. Weir has been lambasted for years but maybe, just maybe he was before his time…trying to play out from the back when world was still pumping it long.
The world wasn’t pumping it long 10 years ago the lower divisions here definitely were

But let’s not forget, « he talked well », he « came across well »

Then we appointed a good manager who many on here dislike.

Finished 7th and reached the FA Cup semi final.
Would playing the false number 9 work for us in the PL? Maybe, but I dont think it would have got us promotion from the Championship.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

You really are an idiot, so tell me this which club Has'nt averaged over 30k in any division for over 50 years? I'll give you a clue one Sheffield club hasn't and one has on numerous occasions

You really are an idiot, so tell me this which club Has'nt averaged over 30k in any division for over 50 years? I'll give you a clue one Sheffield club hasn't and one has on numerous occasions
Hi Stegosaurus here,

Sheffield Wednesday fans are loud enough that one of them can easily count as two.

Didn't he have the rug pulled out from under him when they sold Kevin MacDonald just before the season started?
Yeah. But he was also, seemingly, absolutely shit! Worst I've ever seen us, even including Bryan Robson's all-star cast.

Weir's having a good non-management career now in fairness

Last edited:
But let’s not forget, « he talked well », he « came across well »

Agree he was calm and considered and seemed to know his stuff in theory, was impressed listening to him in the early days.

I remember in his initial interviews he was saying how his philosophy is to play keep possesion passing football and he'll adopt that style through all tiers of the club.
Basically he was trying to turn us into a Swansea style team where everyone is forced to be comfortable on the ball and pass to feet instead of lumping it forward.

Remember his first game home to Notts County on Sky.
There was a definite change in style, it was about controlling the tempo and possession in a game.
Think we only won 2-1 but looked pretty impressive, our tactics revolved around Kevin McDonald who was pulling the strings and have constant contact with the ball.

The McDonald was sold the Wolves a week later (somehow their manager got know about a clause in McDonald contract)
so that put paid to our pre-season tactics which revolved around using our best best player as much as possible.
Remember the defence were ordered to play out from the back, it looked good playing a continental style but you could gaurantee.....once or twice every single game one of our defenders would make a bad mistake passing it straight to the opposition. We'd concede and lose. Also we passed just for the sake of passing.

In early post match interviews Weir would come on quite positive talking about "the process", the bigger picture and no pain without gain etc.
Our football was decent but so naive and we lost almost every match, towards the end it become probably the worse post match interviews I've ever seen.

Weir didnt know what to say in his last post match interviews. He was hurting badly because his footballing principles were clearly failing at league 1 level.
It actually felt really uncomfortable listening to his post match interviews because he was clearly a broken man and possibly heading towards depression.
Felt relieved and pleased for him when we eventually sacked him....he really needed putting out of his misery.

I remember a bunch of appalling pre season signings. One of whom, Jasper Johns (?), came on for a two minute cameo and despite the tiny window managed to look less of a footballer than anyone I have ever seen. I think he touched it once and booted it straight up in the air - like straight up - about as high as the stand. I remember the Notts County game but nothing else of that tenure thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom