Stadium Development

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Was at tottenham on Saturday thinking how nice and modern the stadium is, I've come to the conclusion that we should bin off any development of the lane and just build a shiny new stadium, on the big space of land in birley for example.

Just incase any sheiks that are actually rich are reading this thinking about buying us.

Was at tottenham on Saturday thinking how nice and modern the stadium is, I've come to the conclusion that we should bin off any development of the lane and just build a shiny new stadium, on the big space of land in birley for example.

Just incase any sheiks that are actually rich are reading this thinking about buying us.
They made the best fist of a modern stadium build possible. I'd still not swap. I'm a bit old school, I'd concede. :)

They made the best fist of a modern stadium build possible. I'd still not swap. I'm a bit old school, I'd concede. :)
I know what you mean, I'm usually on the kop so my experience of the lane is the same as a poor kid living in a derelict farm in the third world.

Why spend 1bn on that when we can still piss in a shed and shred our knees on the seats in front due to the low rake on the kop?

In all seriousness, work on the south stand should begin if we stay up, then redevelop the entire kop to fit in with the south afterwards.

But it will be the bolt on design instead as it's cheap...

I know what you mean, I'm usually on the kop so my experience of the lane is the same as a poor kid living in a derelict farm in the third world.
I'm on the kop too. It's the one bit of the stadium I'd like (in theory) to see developed. How they do that, logistically, is the problem.

Overall I couldn't give much of a fuck if nothing changes in the next 20 years. :)

The Prince has publicly said if we stay up the posts are getting removed. That's it. Until a takeover nothing much else will happen I suspect

The Prince has publicly said if we stay up the posts are getting removed. That's it. Until a takeover nothing much else will happen I suspect
I don't really care about the posts either - it'd be nice if they were shifted but I barely notice them during the match.

Being able to have a cig on a covered concourse would be nice - but then again I wouldn't be able to have a cig if it was covered.

On second thoughts, fuck it, leave it as it is. :D

Sympathy please for the Senior Blades.
Next months dinner has been called off due to renovations to the Platinum Suite.
It didnt really need doing to be truthful, so the club must be awash with spare cash somewhere.

I think, if we had a sustained (let's say 10 year) spell in the Premier League, then about 40k would probably be our ceiling in terms of regular gates. That's assuming we're a mid-to-lower-table side, and don't suddenly get fantasy land investment and "do a Newcastle."

A new Kop would be nice, but it would be ludicrously expensive. Knocking down the existing stand and clearing/prepping the ground would cost a fortune itself. I'm sure I've read somewhere in the past that there is the risk of UXB's from the Blitz in the huge earth pile that it sits on, which if true would only add to the expense (needing military staff to sweep and clear the area). That might be an urban myth, but it wouldn't suprise me if true. Only then could we start on the expense of constructing a whole new stand.

I know fuck all about football ground architecture, but I can't imagine there'd be much change out of £15m or so to build a modern, well-equipped stand with the same or slightly larger capacity as the current kop.

As long as we're yoyoing, it doesn't make financial sense to outlay that much cash. I sit/stand on the kop, and I'd love to have a nice, modern, covered concourse, but not at the expense of investment in the playing squad, the training facilities, or calling in a hit on the Shirecliffe Sniper.

This is the worst opinion in the history of this forum. Bramall Lane is so much of our identity as a football club. We would never get a super stadium like Spurs' it would just be a shitty bowl like Coventry, Leicester, Derby, Boro, MK (on and on and on). Our stadium is revered nationally, globally even, and always comes out as a one of the top matchday experiences in the country.

Why oh why do folk think there is any money for ground development ?
Especially just after a summer recruitment exercise which has only marginally improved the squad and left the first eleven at approximately the same level.
We still need a few years in the PL to be able to acquire a squad with a chance of having a few years in the PL.
That's our Catch22 situation.
Even if new owners come in , the priority will be squad improvement.

Strange that the Council don't revere Bramall Lane and always pick Hillsborough to represent the city, despite its history, poor location, and transport links, its state of disrepair and the huge sum it would put on the tax payer, to finance the improvements. Apparently its because it has a park nearby.

The Lane has a unique history in the game, excellent transport links, is a PL standard ground, would cost considerably less to upgrade and has the City Centre on its door step.

Weird eh?

the opening picture on this thread is brilliant and just shows what the lane could look like if we ever get new wealthy owners especially the kop with a new stand and built in concourse behind

I think, if we had a sustained (let's say 10 year) spell in the Premier League, then about 40k would probably be our ceiling in terms of regular gates. That's assuming we're a mid-to-lower-table side, and don't suddenly get fantasy land investment and "do a Newcastle."

A new Kop would be nice, but it would be ludicrously expensive. Knocking down the existing stand and clearing/prepping the ground would cost a fortune itself. I'm sure I've read somewhere in the past that there is the risk of UXB's from the Blitz in the huge earth pile that it sits on, which if true would only add to the expense (needing military staff to sweep and clear the area). That might be an urban myth, but it wouldn't suprise me if true. Only then could we start on the expense of constructing a whole new stand.

I know fuck all about football ground architecture, but I can't imagine there'd be much change out of £15m or so to build a modern, well-equipped stand with the same or slightly larger capacity as the current kop.

As long as we're yoyoing, it doesn't make financial sense to outlay that much cash. I sit/stand on the kop, and I'd love to have a nice, modern, covered concourse, but not at the expense of investment in the playing squad, the training facilities, or calling in a hit on the Shirecliffe Sniper.
It’s not the £15m that bothers me, but where would we sit whilst they did it?

Strange that the Council don't revere Bramall Lane and always pick Hillsborough to represent the city, despite its history, poor location, and transport links, its state of disrepair and the huge sum it would put on the tax payer, to finance the improvements. Apparently its because it has a park nearby.

The Lane has a unique history in the game, excellent transport links, is a PL standard ground, would cost considerably less to upgrade and has the City Centre on its door step.

Weird eh?
I mean other than the rugby league world cup, women's euros, Def leppord, England u21s the only thing that ground gets over us is being the changing room/backstage for acts at tramlines I am not sure what the council are choosing it for ahead of us these days but willing to be enlightened?

Build from the back of the kop like Anfield Liverpool. build a new tier and improve the rake of the existing kop. covered concourse, with escalators from the John Street/Shoreham Street turnstiles instead of getting knackered before the game even starts walking up Mount Kilimanjaro.

I'm racking my brain trying to think of a big space of land in Birley. Unless you mean building it over the top of a golf course?

I don't really care about the posts either - it'd be nice if they were shifted but I barely notice them during the match.

Being able to have a cig on a covered concourse would be nice - but then again I wouldn't be able to have a cig if it was covered.

On second thoughts, fuck it, leave it as it is. :D
I can't say I particularly give a shit about the posts either, although I've never sat in a seat obscured by them.

I don't care how shiny, expensive and modern a new stadium would be, I would be devastated if we moved away from the lane to one of these soulless concrete bowls! BDTBL is part of our heritage and history, it is regularly featured in the top match day experiences in the UK. If we ever were to move, I feel I would have to stop following the blades, as we wouldn't be us anymore.

Problem is, when talking about building at the lane,
Kevin could well be a bloody great Bluebottle in the ointment ....

Aye
So, having visited / witnessed one of the few new stadia that has rebuilt in its original location / footprint you’re inspired to advocate the pursuit of an entirely different (soulless Lego) approach ?

Back
Top Bottom