Stadium Development

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

But surely it's about how having PL football should guarantee you a growth in support rather than what your base is now? Burnley showed that it's not a guarantee
But we have showed it does, each time we have been there.

Edit: just checked and Burnley's average attendance jumped by almost 7k for the first and second spells they went up and 4k the third time around.

Maybe it's because I want better for the club and I'm not completely blind to its faults.

It can be dressed up however people want to dress it up, but Bramall Lane is not a good stadium, it's facilities are piss poor and has more restricted view seats than unrestricted.

And my messages have quite the opposite effect as "nobody is interested or gives any credence to what I say"

Everybody is all over my messages, likes or dislikes, but they are all over them in seconds
More restricted view seats than unrestricted?? 🤔

Isnt much of this debate rendered meaningless by the fact that come next season we will all be able to watch the blades on our TV at home

An increase in revenues, else we shouldn't be spending any of our somewhat limited resources on it.
At the moment it's run down but entirely functional.

Actually it's more around should resources be spent on this or training ground/academy/first team?
In a world of infinite wants and limited resources it's very relevant. You can only spend the money once, so where do you want it spent?
I personally would want money spend on areas where we can expect a return especially given the Kop upgrade is important it isn't critical nor urgent.

Academy and/or training ground should be a no-brainer. It's the foundation for everything else that follows.

It's also worth pointing out that the all-conquering Ajax sides of the 1970's and 80's played at a rickety, ancient terraced shed of a ground called De Meer Stadion, which they didn't leave until 1996.

So the nice shiny stadium = really good football team equation is tenuous at best.

An increase in revenues, else we shouldn't be spending any of our somewhat limited resources on it.
At the moment it's run down but entirely functional.

Actually it's more around should resources be spent on this or training ground/academy/first team?
In a world of infinite wants and limited resources it's very relevant. You can only spend the money once, so where do you want it spent?
I personally would want money spend on areas where we can expect a return especially given the Kop upgrade is important it isn't critical nor urgent.
But at present we don’t completely sell out the ground on a frequent enough basis to worry about that…. You won’t find away demand anywhere near sufficient enough on a regular basis either I would find.

Therefore any significantly outlay on ground expansion would just lead to a huge bill, which we would then fail to justify the need for….. which would then take a significant amount to time to settle up??? I’m no lord sugar, but I see no immediate economic benefit for the club what so ever……no demand equals no increased revenue, just a big bill.

Improved facilities however would potentially lead to earlier revenue, as many more would enter the ground a little earlier to grab refreshments etc. Many walk away due to ridiculous wait times…where as improved facilities would allow faster turnover of orders and shorter wait times…. We all know that the demand already exists and that the current infrastructure doesn’t meet this demand….

In fact I’m mega confused…. Huge investment in expansion, without the appropriate demand… well that would just spell a need to cover costs? Which would mean inevitable increases in admission fees if anything?

I know we’d all love a really big, really shiny stadium….. but we don’t have the current requirement for it so we? If any expansion was to take place, then the most feasible improvement would probably be a smaller capacity increase to the kop whilst improving facilities.

In fact I’m mega confused…. Huge investment in expansion, without the appropriate demand… well that would just spell a need to cover costs? Which would mean inevitable increases in admission fees if anything?

I know we’d all love a really big, really shiny stadium….. but we don’t have the current requirement for it so we? If any expansion was to take place, then the most feasible improvement would probably be a smaller capacity increase to the kop whilst improving facilities.

It won't ever happen, everybody knows that, it is just a discussion

But not selling out Bramall Lane is no guide to what would happen if capacity was increased

All the other clubs mentioned earlier in the thread didn't sell out their rickety old stadiums, but have doubled trebled and even quadrupled their recent traditions of attendance due to new stadiums or modernisation.

Like any business you have to grow to survive…. Look at that lot across the city…. Crumbling stadium reducing attendances, ageing fan base, no immediate prospects of top flight football.

It won't ever happen, everybody knows that, it is just a discussion

But not selling out Bramall Lane is no guide to what would happen if capacity was increased

All the other clubs mentioned earlier in the thread didn't sell out their rickety old stadiums, but have doubled trebled and even quadrupled their recent traditions of attendance due to new stadiums or modernisation.

Most clubs aren’t two club cities, or they do so on the back of major investment and successful stints in the top flight?

I’m struggling to find comparable clubs in a similar situations to be honest, when you factor in overall populations and demographics.

I’m naturally pessimistic so that’s probably a fair assessment. I’m just of a view that we (and Wednesday) are “about 30k when doing well” clubs.
Your'e just that bloke off King of the hill who speaks in a language no one understands and means absolutely nothing. Stay with it. It suits.
1665700703895.png

It’d be interesting to know what those who are opposed to any change think should happen. Surely it can’t be nothing?

It’s also worth remembering that all our more recent ground redevelopment work has taken place whilst we were a Championship Club, without which we’d have been disadvantaged when we returned to the Premier League, on prior occasions.

Ironically, the last time we seriously redeveloped the ground whilst being an established top-flight side, we ended up in the 4th division not long after. So perhaps it’s better to build when you’re on the up, after all?

We last played in an empty stadium during the PL season with Covid.

With perfect 20/20 hindsight, that was probably the best time to develop the lane?

I suspect that our owner will want a huge pile of PL cash to get it right regarding stadium improvements

Meanwhile, we will all grumble about lack of investment in players, resulting in relegation, again!

The choice is to do it piecemeal on a low budget now, or wait until we can afford to do it right. That probably means a minimum of 3 seasons of PL mid table, buying players to improve the squad.

Not to mention other cash draining priorities like the academy, training ground and that bloody hotel!

Due to our location would the council let us go over 40k capacity? Traffic congestion etc.

Is that first photo so that we can increase the attendances (and charge a fee presumably) at Car Park protests?

Back
Top Bottom