Speedo a chip of the old (Blackwell block)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

less water so it is thicker and a bit tastier.

what a numpty I am!?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

In whose opinion? Not mine. Would you rather have dull, defensive football which results in home defeats by the odd goal on a frequent basis or see United try and play the game in a progressive manner, passing and moving to create chances? Yes, the result says we got panned. But the reasons Speed gave after the game were mitigating factors - the handball was blatant and the referee was looking right at it, so missing it was unacceptable. The goal appeared to be disallowed because a Scunthorpe defender asked nicely. On another day, Ward and Evan's shots would have been a couple of inches inside the post and gone in.

I'm not saying I'm happy with it. I was as pissed off as anyone at 10pm on Tuesday. What I'm not going to do is stop supporting my team and encouraging them every time I go to the Lane.

*one thing though: Simonsen should know when to play a 20 yard pass on the floor (ie when in his area under little or no pressure, with the option available to him) and when to just get rid (ie when he's closer to the halfway line than the goalline and there's no easy pass there).

I'll go with that.

From what I've witnessed so far, Speed appears to be the Ying to Blackwells Yang...

Far from 'a chip off the old block'.

Apologising for what was a freak result and attempting to play a brand of football that has unfortunately been foreign to fans and players for years may have appeased some sections of the crowd but would have made little difference to me.

However I do agree that Yeates has got a bigger role to play.

Whenever he makes an appearance he tends to make things happen around him and his determination can't be faulted.

1st bit i'll agree,
2nd bit Yeates appears a bit hot and cold to me. Ihope he gets consistantly hot.

Five words would have been plenty.

It was a bad result, (0-4 v Sunderland in 1998 wasn't great either). However, it would be more usual for a manager to apologise after a bad performance, which Tuesday wasn't.

Are you hoping that the pie gag will become funny, or is it a device to show you have a sense of humour?

I'll agree with that.

Only zero in your eyes olly

I think your right there Highbury.

Just out of interest Olle, were you there?

Dont think he answered this one?

First thing great post Olle your best for a long time (and don't take that the wrong way). Today was the first chance i,ve had to look at the OS for the "gaffers view" and look at the highlights and thats why i 100% agree, an apology to the fans was a must and i really hope we haven't got another excuses man. I posted in the early hours of wednesday morning half asleep and still shock over a 4-0 defeat at home to scunny (my tip for relegation) stating i didn't 100% blame speed which i don't but his inexperience showed during that game and changes should have been made at HT even though we dominated the bottom line was we were still losing. He didn't change the striking options until the 80th minute (thats blackwell all over). Mark Yeates should have started because i believe we should be more attacking at home, if morgan is the club captain he should start even if it means changing a winning side (rio ferdinand will not sit on the bench for man u when he is fully fit even if they win 5-0 the previous week). Monty the stand in captain gets dragged off which showed faith in his ability, Who took the arm band then i can't remember?. I put in a post when speed was appointed that i hoped that he hadn't learnt everything off blackwell and now i am fearing he has. Saturday will be very interesting and a big test for GS i expect changes but am not sure how many he will make.

Cresswell took arm band

No 4-0 against Sunderland wasn't great but i have a feeling they won the league that year i doubt scunny will win it this.

Not wanting to get into another argument with Olle but i dont agree at all with this. Freak game. Freak result. End of in my eyes.

Difference being, Sunderland played us off the park. Scunthorpe had 3 chances other night. (i don't class the 4th as a chance, more of a gift.) Full marks to them for taking them.

You could be right there matt?

why does he have to apologise?!

I know you're trying hard to be some internet 'character' olle but you need to take off these darkened specs and realise it's going to be a bumpy road.

Anyway, that's me logged out for a couple of weeks - I'm taking my own advice about ignoring negativity for a while, I think some posters are becoming very poor parodies of themselves and it's winding me up.

Think your right there Wards. PLEASE DONT GO.

Do you ever feel like you're unwanted, have no friends, or are you depressed about life?

Then hang yourself, you sad fucker

LOLZ

On a different forum, I may agree with that but not on this one.;)

I am with you pal, they have let this place go to the dogs. I want to be excited for the future, without being put down for it.

Ollie, I seriously doubt anyone respects you enough to care whether you respect them or not

Now now you may be right but give lad a chance.

Interesting post.

Must admit I was a bit surprised at the extent to which Speedo blamed the ref, especially the bit about expecting refs to help out the home team. I've looked at the handball for the first plenty of times and I honestly don't understand why people are saying it was blatant. If Blackwell had been in charge I'd have been delighted with a 4-0 home loss to Scunthorpe but not now and I totally understand why ref didn't give handball.

I agree about the midfield 3 and I am praying that Monty is dropped on Saturday.

We were very, very unlucky to be behind at half time. No excuse for the second half obviously and I think Speed has acknowledged that Scunny did well and we lost shape etc. I don't think he needs to apologise even if it was one of the worst scorelines in club history in terms of embarresment factor etc. It's up to Speed what happens with the selection on saturday but let's remember that Blackwell has left him with an almost impossible task and in that respect he deserves a very long period of bedding in. I think we'll be in bottom 8 all season from now on but then again I thought we'd lose at Derby so let's hope I'm wrong.

Thank God Blackwell has gone. Good luck Speedo, you'll need it. Up The Blades.

Some good thoughts in here that i didnt consider, thanks for making me think again Mic its what this forum was about.

*reads start*

*reads end*

*imagines what's in the middle*

*ignores as usual*

I did that.

He's had 4 games! 4 games and you're pulling him apart. Good god, give him a chance.

Maybe he wants to be controversial ??????????????

He's got until after the Donny game in Jan, then he'll need a tin hat if there's been ne progress.

Might not need the hat at The Lane as crowd might be the 14K faithfull with red specs on by then.

Seems like he'll never satify at least one of our fans.

What does 'progress' mean now-a-days. I thought it was 'playing attractive football'. Aren't we starting to do that already?

Or does it mean 'playing attractive football on our way to promotion this season'. When did that bit get added on, or are we seeing a shifting of the goal-posts now that there is a danger of getting the thing that 'we'd just be happy if...'?

Good points Dunc. I wish those goalposts had shifted outwards on tuesday.

i'd prefer that to 22000 with nearly half wanting United to fail so they can moan about it say 'told you so' or similar.

UTB Win, Lose or Draw

Its in our heart sensi

Possibly, but with us being on top, it would have seemed likely we would have got back into the game.

Definition of 'change'? He did put Cresswell up top when Yeates came on. But I agree with you that Boggy should have come on earlier/

I'd have also been tempted to bring Quinny on for Ertl.

How attacking do you want to be? Did you not see the blistering start to the game we made?

That's a great way to give players confidence.... 'here lads, have a good game and you'll be dropped'.... btw he was on the bench at Derby, and nothing has been mentioned of that because we won.

You're complaining that changes were left too late, but when GS makes a forward thinking change, he is slagged off for it. Bizarre really

Nice to see you back Robbie.

has anybody seen linz posting round here recently? Can't say i remember a post for a while?

I know foxy doesn't have as much input as he used to. Genuine questions??

(although i do have a theory behind it)

this is the main point about this forum at the moment
thanks matt

I'm really looking forward to goingto the lane on Saturday, how many times could you have said that during Robson's and Blackwell's era?UTB

thats a good point

The OP of that thread is an owl.
One of the people slamming the regime has 'Toronto' in his username, so I think we can safely say he doesn't attend many games.
The other is Torrix, who recently seems to be going through the menopause.

Well, on this occasion, your opinion is erroneous - heres a link to the league table as it stands today....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/table/default.stm

You may be right, however I'm more interested how it is now the worst home result in 25 years now? When less than 24 hours ago, it was the worst home result in 20 years....

Yes and again Robbie Robbie Robbie.

Thing I find funny is some of people that moaned when Blackwell had the reins, that the football was dire 'results don't matter, I want to be entertained' are now complaining that its a result business and that’s all that matters. Asks yourselves truly what would you rather have the long ball, little or no chances, maybe nicking games and dire performances and feeling of nothing when leaving the ground? Or the team we have had over the last two games, creating chances, movement and space and at least (if not always in the best result) keeping us entertained? Because if its the former you have just spent the last couple of years lying to everyone on here and yourself!

Come on get a grip! Get behind Speed and the team! Lets have the support we truly need now for the club trying to change its culture.

Brilliant post

Just seen our highlights on BBC site.

There is absolutely no way Speed should apologise for what happened - had we played shit and created nothing then yes, I would expect a full blown apology.
The fact is, we should have been out of sight at half time and we weren't, nothing to do with a crap performance, moreso the fact that lady luck was certainly not on our side that night.
Any other night, we would have been 3 or 4 up by half time, with the game done and dusted, the only people who should be apologising are the defenders, especially Nos, because they were awful.

Whilst I applaud the 'new' United way of playing football I was disappointed that Speedo didn't directly explain the performance!
I agree that it was a bit of a freak match and most on here were walking home feeling content that the Blades were very, very unlucky Lets be honest ....................
No matter how we played the defending was shite and totally unacceptable- putting Morgan back in will not cure the ills of Tuesday night
Calve and Robson defended ordinarily, Nosworthy and Bartley were awful against one would expect an attack which will not score 4 goals per game very often!!!
Nosworthy is a dilemma, probably the highest paid defender on the books (for a season anyway) and a total lack of consistancy. He nearly gifted a goal to Preston, his distribution is questionable and his lack of pace alarming. In Monty, Britton and Ertl we also have the slowest midfield trio sitting in front of the back four ............
Add that to our frailties up front and we are facing a long hard season I'm afraid to say!

I think we're better than you think. Bit nieve other night.

"Originally Posted by LS26BLADE
Do you ever feel like you're unwanted, have no friends, or are you depressed about life?

Then hang yourself, you sad fucker

LOLZ
Why is that people have to resort to persoanl abuse? I see isnults like this as a sign of weakness and lack of intelligence. When someone is arguing/debating with you and they suddenly say 'fuck you, you wanker' then they lose the argument by default. So thanks for your wonderful contribution.

I wonder if Linz and Foxy (quick to reprimand me for 'acting not in the spirit of the forum') have noticed this. I'm not into telling tales and I relaise the nature of my posts will get me some stick, put this kind of post (from LS26) is simply pathetic"

SO

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

So once again, another thread where one guy has an opinion, which is fair enough we're all entitled to them. No opinion is right or wrong, it's one persons viewpoint on a subject. So why not discuss your viewpoint on the same subject instead of ripping apart someone elses and resorting to, in some cases, personal attacks.

Seriously, this place is becoming like a kids playground!

Some of you seriously need to grow up, or get some perspective!

You are right of corse.

Robbie as one of the longest serving members on this forum i respect your comments, but united once again are to predictable same tactics home and away. Picking up on the points you picked up on, a fresh striker was needed earlier the 11 out there rotated round or not weren't having success. Attacking at home would be 4-4-2 not 4-5-1 thats not to attacking. A club captain should be first on the team sheet other players should respect that. I just noticed it was monty taken off not ertl or britton, all 3 players are the same but monty was stand in captain so was surprised (but glad) he was dragged off.

So if a Captain has loss of form do you strip him of the captaincy?

we'll win more than we'll lose playing like that so i'm not unduly worried.. we were going nowhere under blackwell anyway.. at least the games are 'watchable' now and we aren't the laughing stock of the league

Very good point

Just seen our highlights on BBC site.

There is absolutely no way Speed should apologise for what happened - had we played shit and created nothing then yes, I would expect a full blown apology.
The fact is, we should have been out of sight at half time and we weren't, nothing to do with a crap performance, moreso the fact that lady luck was certainly not on our side that night.
Any other night, we would have been 3 or 4 up by half time, with the game done and dusted, the only people who should be apologising are the defenders, especially Nos, because they were awful.

Agree with that. What BBC site are highlights on?

I like to deal in facts. The fact is that the score was Sheffield United 0 - 4 Scunthorpe.

To me that is unnacceptable. If Speed is not wiliing to apologise (I think he should but others don't) then the very least he can do (imo) is stand up, be a man and accept defeat graciously. Not blame the referee.

Here are some opinions:

- SUFC were unlucky
- we should have won the game
- the 1 st goal was handball
- on another day we'd have been 4 nil up at h/t
- Evans and Ward were uncluky to hit the post
- Our finishing was woeful and concerning
- Scunthorpe are the worst team in the league
- That was the worst home result for 25 years

Like I said, I prefer to deal with the facts. The fact is that we lost to a poor team at home. Not only did we lose, but we lost emphatically. For me Speed should address this. He hasn't, he just blamed the ref. I think that is an insult to the 19k Blades who were there and would expect the same from Blackwell.

North Yorks - no I didn't go to the game. I was shopping at meadowhall.

Robbie - let's see where Scunthorpe finish this season. Sure they've had a decent start, but something tells me they're heading for the drop. Also, can you tell me of a worse home result in the last 20 - 25 years, or even 30 years?

Boo - Jesus christ, I know you don't like me but that is some way to attack a thread :p you need to work out how to put more than one quoute in a post, rather than posting upmteen posts after another.

>Speed should address this
i'm sure he will .. he's only been at it ten minutes.. for someone who was constantly moaning about blackwell you were very quick off the mark in your criticism of someone who is attempting to implement what you have been advocating for over a year.. perhaps we should have got wenger?

I wonder who are the worst team in our division after we have all played 6 games?
Portsmouth are at the bottom so would it be a fact to say that at the moment they are?

Has anybody seen Linz posting round here recently? Can't say i remember a post for a while?

I know Foxy doesn't have as much input as he used to. Genuine questions??

(Although i do have a theory behind it)

this is the main point about this forum at the moment
thanks matt

agree with all of this.

A lot of the originals on this site have gone increasingly quiet over the last year. The likes of Silverfox, keenzy etc hardly post at all. I know Foxy and Linz have genuine reasons for being less active, especially in the last 2 months or so, but it is a big shame. :thumbdown:

Thing I find funny is some of people that moaned when Blackwell had the reins, that the football was dire 'results don't matter, I want to be entertained' are now complaining that its a result business and that’s all that matters. Asks yourselves truly what would you rather have the long ball, little or no chances, maybe nicking games and dire performances and feeling of nothing when leaving the ground? Or the team we have had over the last two games, creating chances, movement and space and at least (if not always in the best result) keeping us entertained? Because if its the former you have just spent the last couple of years lying to everyone on here and yourself!

Come on get a grip! Get behind Speed and the team! Lets have the support we truly need now for the club trying to change its culture.

There's no mention of that on this thread. I'm not debating the merits of style vs results, just saying that Speed got some things wrong. He got the wrong formation, waited too late for subsitutions and then balmed others rather than taking it on the chin.

The above is all very Blackwell like. One of my major gripes with KB was that he didn't learn from his mistakes. Let's hope that Speed can. He can make amends for Tuesday night by beating Pompey tomorrrow. (imo) he should bring in Morgan, Yeates and Boggy, play 4-4-2 and attack. No palce Monty.

Ollie, I can't agree with the sentiment of your op. Why apologise for playing some really attractive football for the best part of 60mins. On another day it could quite easily have been a 4-0 the other way, we wouldn't have scored if we'd played till it went light again. I'm really looking forward to goingto the lane on Saturday, how many times could you have said that during Robson's and Blackwell's era?

Frechy, se my point about facts. The statement in bold is your opinion. The fact is that we lost 4 nil at home to Scunny. We can talk about handballs, luck and la de da but we lost to a very poor side at home. I'm happy that Speed is trying to play some footy, but I also would like him to be a man and show some balls. I'm disappointed he didn't apologise, or even state (something like) 'it wasn't good enough, we didn't take our chances, we werre unlcuky, but we defended poorly, we'll make up for it on Saturday'

i'm sure he will .. he's only been at it ten minutes.. for someone who was constantly moaning about blackwell you were very quick off the mark in your criticism of someone who is attempting to implement what you have been advocating for over a year.. perhaps we should have got wenger?

now you know some will never be satified. you make a very good point.

agree with all of this.

A lot of the originals on this site have gone increasingly quiet over the last year. The likes of Silverfox, keenzy etc hardly post at all. I know Foxy and Linz have genuine reasons for being less active, especially in the last 2 months or so, but it is a big shame. :thumbdown:

Is Linz having a baby?

I like to deal in facts. The fact is that the score was Sheffield United 0 - 4 Scunthorpe.

To me that is unnacceptable. If Speed is not wiliing to apologise (I think he should but others don't) then the very least he can do (imo) is stand up, be a man and accept defeat graciously. Not blame the referee.

Here are some opinions:

- SUFC were unlucky
- we should have won the game
- the 1 st goal was handball
- on another day we'd have been 4 nil up at h/t
- Evans and Ward were uncluky to hit the post
- Our finishing was woeful and concerning
- Scunthorpe are the worst team in the league
- That was the worst home result for 25 years

Like I said, I prefer to deal with the facts. The fact is that we lost to a poor team at home. Not only did we lose, but we lost emphatically. For me Speed should address this. He hasn't, he just blamed the ref. I think that is an insult to the 19k Blades who were there and would expect the same from Blackwell.

Robbie - let's see where Scunthorpe finish this season. Sure they've had a decent start, but something tells me they're heading for the drop. Also, can you tell me of a worse home result in the last 20 - 25 years, or even 30 years?

Boo - Jesus christ, I know you don't like me but that is some way to attack a thread :p you need to work out how to put more than one quoute in a post, rather than posting upmteen posts after another.

He did address it, I can't find the quote but he said we totally lost our shape in the 2nd half and that Scunny did well. I totally agree that it was unacceptable and disagree with posters on here who thought it was a very good display of attacking football for long periods but can't we just be happy that Blackwell has gone? It is better to watch already in terms of attempting to play football and no reason why when additions come, it can't get much better.

your being OTT. I'm right behind Speed. But I'd prefer if he accepted defeat gracefully. If he said, we're building a team, there'll be nights like that along the way, sorry, it wasn't good enough, but we'll be back stronger, etc then I wouldn't have wrote this. Your missing my point super pig. I'm not debating whether he is the right man for the job, style vs results or whatever. I'm saying he should have stood up and showed some balls. Hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes (something KB never did).

Oh, it's going to be fun following every Olle post looking for NON-FACTS.

He only likes to deal in FACTS y'know.

I think we're better than you think. Bit nieve other night.

Boo, trying to get a word in edgeways
How can we be better than I think when our last result was 0-4 to Scunthorpe at home
Get a grip!
The goalkeeper was suspect (especially 4th goal)
The defence was awful especially Nosworthy
The midfield pedestrian and one dimensional
The strikers were woeful ie Cows Arse and Banjo comes to mind
We have scored just three goals in six matches - and many many chances
Thats down to inept performance in front of goal
No Boo we are not better than I think
I think the team has severe limitations and a new manager that has got his work cut out trying to develop BOTH a winning and attractive side to watch
Good luck Speedo, you will need it!

Oh, and Olle, there is more than one way to show balls.

It could easily be argued that by not being meek and saying "sorry massa, it's my fault" then he actually went against the grain and showed more courage than the alternative.

But then, your opinion is that the only way to show balls is to admit fault... even if you do only deal in FACTS.

I wonder if those who deal in FACTS are aware That our previous manager had one of the best win ratios of any utd manager? isnt it strange how facts can be used to back up some claims and ignored when it is convenient to do so!

I wonder if those who deal in FACTS are aware That our previous manager had one of the best win ratios of any utd manager? isnt it strange how facts can be used to back up some claims and ignored when it is convenient to do so!

It's also a fact that the obnoxious tosser had unbelievable resources at his disposal compared with other managers of SUFC and those of a vast majority of our opponents during his tenure.

I like how everyone, instead of making opinions on subjects, is writing them in a way that suggests they are gospel.

It's a good job this is a forum as I can see that some posters would start a scrap in pub if a similar conversation were to be had. Some people can't accept other people's opinions. Agree to disagree?? Try it, you'll like it! :)

Oh, it's going to be fun following every Olle post looking for NON-FACTS.

He only likes to deal in FACTS y'know.

Steady now, sounds like you want to go hunting? Oh sorry by the way missed your first reply to thread, Loved the picture.

Boo, trying to get a word in edgeways
How can we be better than I think when our last result was 0-4 to Scunthorpe at home
Get a grip!
The goalkeeper was suspect (especially 4th goal)
The defence was awful especially Nosworthy
The midfield pedestrian and one dimensional
The strikers were woeful ie Cows Arse and Banjo comes to mind
We have scored just three goals in six matches - and many many chances
Thats down to inept performance in front of goal
No Boo we are not better than I think
I think the team has severe limitations and a new manager that has got his work cut out trying to develop BOTH a winning and attractive side to watch
Good luck Speedo, you will need it!

Of course your right but it didnt feel like a 0-4 and the moulding of the players to his style and the fact that they seem to be able to adapt gives me optimism. He just has to get defence to a disciplined state which should be easier than getting us scoring. it is stange dont you think that after a 0-4 that there is little aprehension about saturday and most are looking forward to it.

Oh, and Olle, there is more than one way to show balls.

It could easily be argued that by not being meek and saying "sorry massa, it's my fault" then he actually went against the grain and showed more courage than the alternative.

But then, your opinion is that the only way to show balls is to admit fault... even if you do only deal in FACTS.

Calling out Speed for not being a man, on an internet message board, under a pseudonym...it's laughable.

Like I said, I prefer to deal with the facts.

The fact is that we lost to a poor team at home.

Opinion, not fact. Your opinion (and many others) is that they are poor.

For me Speed should address this. He hasn't,

Opinion again, how do you know he hasn't addressed this behind closed doors?

he just blamed the ref. I think that is an insult to the 19k Blades who were there and would expect the same from Blackwell.

I don't see your point on an apology if you weren't there.
It's like asking for a refund on something you haven't bought.

Off the top of my head, no. But that's not to say there isn't.
I just find it strange that it has raised by a decade in less than 24 hours.

It's also a fact that the obnoxious tosser had unbelievable resources at his disposal compared with other managers of SUFC and those of a vast majority of our opponents during his tenure.

I dont know about that. I'm sure you have a list about how much he spent and how much he brought in? whilst i am curious about that and it would back up your fact claim, he is our ex manager.

I dont know about that. I'm sure you have a list about how much he spent and how much he brought in? whilst i am curious about that and it would back up your fact claim, he is our ex manager.

You need to wake up a bit Boo. Read McCabe's comments in the 2009 accounts about wage bills. You'd have got a 40% plus win record, very probably more.

I like how everyone, instead of making opinions on subjects, is writing them in a way that suggests they are gospel.

It's a good job this is a forum as I can see that some posters would start a scrap in pub if a similar conversation were to be had. Some people can't accept other people's opinions. Agree to disagree?? Try it, you'll like it! :)

yes tried that and it can be fun - for example you may beleive that those wobbly breasts are not distracting but i'm having to right this reply with my left hand so i think they are. but in the interest of this minor point I'll agree to disagree.

Opinion, not fact. Your opinion (and many others) is that they are poor.

Opinion again, how do you know he hasn't addressed this behind closed doors?

I don't see your point on an apology if you weren't there.
It's like asking for a refund on something you haven't bought.

Off the top of my head, no. But that's not to say there isn't.
I just find it strange that it has raised by a decade in less than 24 hours.

Yes and again Robbie Robbie Robbie.

You need to wake up a bit Boo. Read McCabe's comments in the 2009 accounts about wage bills. You'd have got a 40% plus win record, very probably more.

So we're not going there coz yopu dont have a list? Ok I'll take your word for it.

Are you implying that you're a wanker, Mic?

Who you talking to? Damm spilt my cup of tea, knew i should have typed with my right hand.

So we're not going there coz yopu dont have a list? Ok I'll take your word for it.

No I haven't got a list. You take my word for it, he spent alot more than vast majority of his rivals on wages and transfer fees - do you disagree with that? He also sold alot more, obvioulsy cannot deny that and never would do, but I'm on about the resources at his disposal and there is evidence in the accounts that the wage bill was huge.

Back
Top Bottom