Speedo a chip of the old (Blackwell block)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ollessendro

Reaction score
It’s amazing how quickly Speed went from hero to zero after Tuesday’s night match and although I was pleased with his appointment, I have to say that I lost a little respect for him on a few different counts.

Firstly I thought that Speed’s lack of apology for the worst home result in the last 20 years (I don’t remember there being a worst one) is unacceptable. Sometimes you have to be a man and stand up and be counted. I remember Gianluigi Buffon coming out after Italy got beat 4-0 by Holland in Euro 2008 and apologising to the fans because it wasn’t good enough. I respect him for that. Unfortunately Speed offered no apology to the 19k Blades fans that turned up and instead blamed the referee.

This is my second gripe: blaming the ref. All too many times we heard Blackwell blaming injuries, bad luck, referees, his neighbours cat, bad light or anyone but himself. Now after a crushing defeat to the worst team in the league Speed blames the ref. I though more of Speedo. The performance has been debated heavily (so I won’t go into it) but the fact is that we lost 4 nil at home to Scunthorpe. Maybe there was a handball for the first goal, but what about the other 3? In my opinion that is simply not good enough. I would expect the captain (in this case Monty) and the manager to come out and hold their hands in the air, say it wasn’t good enough, apologise to the fans and say we’ll try harder.

My personal opinion is that Speed showed no bottle on Tuesday night (3rd reason for losing my respect). It was clear that Scunthorpe would come to frustrate and that Ertl, Monty and Britton would struggle to break them down, yet Speed went ahead and played it. Sure it won at Derby, but I would have liked him to have gone more attacking and played Yeates (in for Monty) in a 4-4-2. Even after playing 4-5-1 (at home) Speed was slow to make changes. He waited until United were 2-0 down (and the game was over) before he brought on Yeates. Evans can’t hit a barn door and still he shows absolutely no faith in Bogdanovic, as striker who (as Lenners pointed out I think) scored 5 times as many goals as him last term. Hopefully Speed will have the bottle to drop Monty and play 4-4-2 with Yeates and Ward on the flanks. Pompey are no mugs, but if we attack them then we may do ok.

We saw that Blackwell picked up many of Warnocks bad habbits, but maybe Speed has done the same with KB??? we saw no bottle, blaming the ref and failing to make substitutions at the right time most weeks with Blackwell, but perhaps he's past them onto Speed. GS did indeed start to learn his trade under KB and where as we were hoping that he would have leanrt from Blackie's mistakes, perhaps he is just going to be a chip of the old block.

The other thing that is really getting to me (and the main reason I’ll be going to B&Q on Saturday with our lass instead of BDTBL) is that Blackwell’s missus is still making the pies. I wrote to Birch and he said that he ‘didn’t want to sack her’. He feels bad about sacking Kevin and now she is the bread winner of the house (and cheap as chips earned fuck all anyway) that he doesn’t want to hand her a p45. I hear there is no point in trying to reason with him, so I just said can he ask Mrs Blackwell to please put more Bovril in and less water so it is thicker and a bit tastier.

** brackets in the wrong place - what a numpty I am!? - should be (Blackwell) block**

You've got more wrong with your title than that...

Anyway.

cool-story-bro.jpg

It’s amazing how quickly Speed went from hero to zero after Tuesday’s night match

In whose opinion? Not mine. Would you rather have dull, defensive football which results in home defeats by the odd goal on a frequent basis or see United try and play the game in a progressive manner, passing and moving to create chances? Yes, the result says we got panned. But the reasons Speed gave after the game were mitigating factors - the handball was blatant and the referee was looking right at it, so missing it was unacceptable. The goal appeared to be disallowed because a Scunthorpe defender asked nicely. On another day, Ward and Evan's shots would have been a couple of inches inside the post and gone in.

I'm not saying I'm happy with it. I was as pissed off as anyone at 10pm on Tuesday. What I'm not going to do is stop supporting my team and encouraging them every time I go to the Lane.

*one thing though: Simonsen should know when to play a 20 yard pass on the floor (ie when in his area under little or no pressure, with the option available to him) and when to just get rid (ie when he's closer to the halfway line than the goalline and there's no easy pass there).

From what I've witnessed so far, Speed appears to be the Ying to Blackwells Yang...

Far from 'a chip off the old block'.

Apologising for what was a freak result and attempting to play a brand of football that has unfortunately been foreign to fans and players for years may have appeased some sections of the crowd but would have made little difference to me.

However I do agree that Yeates has got a bigger role to play.

Whenever he makes an appearance he tends to make things happen around him and his determination can't be faulted.

what a numpty I am!?

Five words would have been plenty.

It was a bad result, (0-4 v Sunderland in 1998 wasn't great either). However, it would be more usual for a manager to apologise after a bad performance, which Tuesday wasn't.

Are you hoping that the pie gag will become funny, or is it a device to show you have a sense of humour?

First thing great post Olle your best for a long time (and don't take that the wrong way). Today was the first chance i,ve had to look at the OS for the "gaffers view" and look at the highlights and thats why i 100% agree, an apology to the fans was a must and i really hope we haven't got another excuses man. I posted in the early hours of wednesday morning half asleep and still shock over a 4-0 defeat at home to scunny (my tip for relegation) stating i didn't 100% blame speed which i don't but his inexperience showed during that game and changes should have been made at HT even though we dominated the bottom line was we were still losing. He didn't change the striking options until the 80th minute (thats blackwell all over). Mark Yeates should have started because i believe we should be more attacking at home, if morgan is the club captain he should start even if it means changing a winning side (rio ferdinand will not sit on the bench for man u when he is fully fit even if they win 5-0 the previous week). Monty the stand in captain gets dragged off which showed faith in his ability, Who took the arm band then i can't remember?. I put in a post when speed was appointed that i hoped that he hadn't learnt everything off blackwell and now i am fearing he has. Saturday will be very interesting and a big test for GS i expect changes but am not sure how many he will make.

It was a bad result, (0-4 v Sunderland in 1998 wasn't great either). However, it would be more usual for a manager to apologise after a bad performance, which Tuesday wasn't.

Are you hoping that the pie gag will become funny, or is it a device to show you have a sense of humour?

No 4-0 against Sunderland wasn't great but i have a feeling they won the league that year i doubt scunny will win it this.

It’s amazing how quickly Speed went from hero to zero

Not wanting to get into another argument with Olle but i dont agree at all with this. Freak game. Freak result. End of in my eyes.

No 4-0 against Sunderland wasn't great but i have a feeling they won the league that year i doubt scunny will win it this.

Difference being, Sunderland played us off the park. Scunthorpe had 3 chances other night. (i don't class the 4th as a chance, more of a gift.) Full marks to them for taking them.

why does he have to apologise?!

I know you're trying hard to be some internet 'character' olle but you need to take off these darkened specs and realise it's going to be a bumpy road.

Anyway, that's me logged out for a couple of weeks - I'm taking my own advice about ignoring negativity for a while, I think some posters are becoming very poor parodies of themselves and it's winding me up.

Do you ever feel like you're unwanted, have no friends, or are you depressed about life?

Then hang yourself, you sad fucker

LOLZ

I know you're trying hard to be some internet 'character' olle but you need to take off these darkened specs and realise it's going to be a bumpy road.

Anyway, that's me logged out for a couple of weeks - I'm taking my own advice about ignoring negativity for a while, I think some posters are becoming very poor parodies of themselves and it's winding me up.

I am with you pal, they have let this place go to the dogs. I want to be excited for the future, without being put down for it.

Ollie, I seriously doubt anyone respects you enough to care whether you respect them or not

It’s amazing how quickly Speed went from hero to zero after Tuesday’s night match and although I was pleased with his appointment, I have to say that I lost a little respect for him on a few different counts.

Firstly I thought that Speed’s lack of apology for the worst home result in the last 20 years (I don’t remember there being a worst one) is unacceptable. Sometimes you have to be a man and stand up and be counted. I remember Gianluigi Buffon coming out after Italy got beat 4-0 by Holland in Euro 2008 and apologising to the fans because it wasn’t good enough. I respect him for that. Unfortunately Speed offered no apology to the 19k Blades fans that turned up and instead blamed the referee.

This is my second gripe: blaming the ref. All too many times we heard Blackwell blaming injuries, bad luck, referees, his neighbours cat, bad light or anyone but himself. Now after a crushing defeat to the worst team in the league Speed blames the ref. I though more of Speedo. The performance has been debated heavily (so I won’t go into it) but the fact is that we lost 4 nil at home to Scunthorpe. Maybe there was a handball for the first goal, but what about the other 3? In my opinion that is simply not good enough. I would expect the captain (in this case Monty) and the manager to come out and hold their hands in the air, say it wasn’t good enough, apologise to the fans and say we’ll try harder.

My personal opinion is that Speed showed no bottle on Tuesday night (3rd reason for losing my respect). It was clear that Scunthorpe would come to frustrate and that Ertl, Monty and Britton would struggle to break them down, yet Speed went ahead and played it. Sure it won at Derby, but I would have liked him to have gone more attacking and played Yeates (in for Monty) in a 4-4-2. Even after playing 4-5-1 (at home) Speed was slow to make changes. He waited until United were 2-0 down (and the game was over) before he brought on Yeates. Evans can’t hit a barn door and still he shows absolutely no faith in Bogdanovic, as striker who (as Lenners pointed out I think) scored 5 times as many goals as him last term. Hopefully Speed will have the bottle to drop Monty and play 4-4-2 with Yeates and Ward on the flanks. Pompey are no mugs, but if we attack them then we may do ok.

We saw that Blackwell picked up many of Warnocks bad habbits, but maybe Speed has done the same with KB??? we saw no bottle, blaming the ref and failing to make substitutions at the right time most weeks with Blackwell, but perhaps he's past them onto Speed. GS did indeed start to learn his trade under KB and where as we were hoping that he would have leanrt from Blackie's mistakes, perhaps he is just going to be a chip of the old block.

The other thing that is really getting to me (and the main reason I’ll be going to B&Q on Saturday with our lass instead of BDTBL) is that Blackwell’s missus is still making the pies. I wrote to Birch and he said that he ‘didn’t want to sack her’. He feels bad about sacking Kevin and now she is the bread winner of the house (and cheap as chips earned fuck all anyway) that he doesn’t want to hand her a p45. I hear there is no point in trying to reason with him, so I just said can he ask Mrs Blackwell to please put more Bovril in and less water so it is thicker and a bit tastier.

** brackets in the wrong place - what a numpty I am!? - should be (Blackwell) block**

Interesting post.

Must admit I was a bit surprised at the extent to which Speedo blamed the ref, especially the bit about expecting refs to help out the home team. I've looked at the handball for the first plenty of times and I honestly don't understand why people are saying it was blatant. If Blackwell had been in charge I'd have been delighted with a 4-0 home loss to Scunthorpe but not now and I totally understand why ref didn't give handball.

I agree about the midfield 3 and I am praying that Monty is dropped on Saturday.

We were very, very unlucky to be behind at half time. No excuse for the second half obviously and I think Speed has acknowledged that Scunny did well and we lost shape etc. I don't think he needs to apologise even if it was one of the worst scorelines in club history in terms of embarresment factor etc. It's up to Speed what happens with the selection on saturday but let's remember that Blackwell has left him with an almost impossible task and in that respect he deserves a very long period of bedding in. I think we'll be in bottom 8 all season from now on but then again I thought we'd lose at Derby so let's hope I'm wrong.

Thank God Blackwell has gone. Good luck Speedo, you'll need it. Up The Blades.

He's had 4 games! 4 games and you're pulling him apart. Good god, give him a chance.

He's had 4 games! 4 games and you're pulling him apart. Good god, give him a chance.

He's got until after the Donny game in Jan, then he'll need a tin hat if there's been ne progress.

Might not need the hat at The Lane as crowd might be the 14K faithfull with red specs on by then.

He's got until after the Donny game in Jan, then he'll need a tin hat if there's been ne progress.

What does 'progress' mean now-a-days. I thought it was 'playing attractive football'. Aren't we starting to do that already?

Or does it mean 'playing attractive football on our way to promotion this season'. When did that bit get added on, or are we seeing a shifting of the goal-posts now that there is a danger of getting the thing that 'we'd just be happy if...'?

In whose opinion? Not mine. Would you rather have dull, defensive football which results in home defeats by the odd goal on a frequent basis or see United try and play the game in a progressive manner, passing and moving to create chances? Yes, the result says we got panned. But the reasons Speed gave after the game were mitigating factors - the handball was blatant and the referee was looking right at it, so missing it was unacceptable. The goal appeared to be disallowed because a Scunthorpe defender asked nicely. On another day, Ward and Evan's shots would have been a couple of inches inside the post and gone in.

I'm not saying I'm happy with it. I was as pissed off as anyone at 10pm on Tuesday. What I'm not going to do is stop supporting my team and encouraging them every time I go to the Lane.

*one thing though: Simonsen should know when to play a 20 yard pass on the floor (ie when in his area under little or no pressure, with the option available to him) and when to just get rid (ie when he's closer to the halfway line than the goalline and there's no easy pass there).

see the thread (http://www.s24su.com/showthread.php?20276-Gary-Speed) people genuinly questioning whether he is the right man for the job, after a few days bnefore he was the messiah.

The Sunderland game was awful (I remember it well) but they were a decent side. Scunthorpe (imo) are the worst in the league.

I can't be arsed to explain the pie gag, if you're not smart enough to see what it means. Use your objectivism Trig.

If you want to act like a child and take your ball home then so be it. My personal opinion is thta he should be man, stand up and be counted and say he made mistakes. That includes apologising to the 19k fans who paid to watch the worst home result in the last 25 years.

Do you ever feel like you're unwanted, have no friends, or are you depressed about life?

LOLZ

Why is that people have to resort to persoanl abuse? I see isnults like this as a sign of weakness and lack of intelligence. When someone is arguing/debating with you and they suddenly say 'fuck you, you wanker' then they lose the argument by default. So thanks for your wonderful contribution.

I wonder if Linz and Foxy (quick to reprimand me for 'acting not in the spirit of the forum') have noticed this. I'm not into telling tales and I relaise the nature of my posts will get me some stick, put this kind of post (from LS26) is simply pathetic.

I am with you pal, they have let this place go to the dogs. I want to be excited for the future, without being put down for it.

Ollie, I seriously doubt anyone respects you enough to care whether you respect them or not

speaking of pathetic posts

*reads start*

*reads end*

*imagines what's in the middle*

*ignores as usual*

oh and another one. what do you hope to achieve by this? Can't just ignore the thread, have to make some silly comment :rolleyes:

changes should have been made at HT

Possibly, but with us being on top, it would have seemed likely we would have got back into the game.

He didn't change the striking options until the 80th minute (thats blackwell all over).

Definition of 'change'? He did put Cresswell up top when Yeates came on. But I agree with you that Boggy should have come on earlier/

I'd have also been tempted to bring Quinny on for Ertl.

Mark Yeates should have started because i believe we should be more attacking at home,

How attacking do you want to be? Did you not see the blistering start to the game we made?

if morgan is the club captain he should start even if it means changing a winning side (rio ferdinand will not sit on the bench for man u when he is fully fit even if they win 5-0 the previous week).

That's a great way to give players confidence.... 'here lads, have a good game and you'll be dropped'.... btw he was on the bench at Derby, and nothing has been mentioned of that because we won.

Monty the stand in captain gets dragged off which showed faith in his ability,

You're complaining that changes were left too late, but when GS makes a forward thinking change, he is slagged off for it. Bizarre really

Has anybody seen Linz posting round here recently? Can't say i remember a post for a while?

I know Foxy doesn't have as much input as he used to. Genuine questions??

(Although i do have a theory behind it)

i'd prefer that to 22000 with nearly half wanting United to fail so they can moan about it say 'told you so' or similar.

UTB Win, Lose or Draw
Agree totally Sensi, it's already loads better around me on the Kop without the 4k moaning so and so's!

What does 'progress' mean now-a-days. I thought it was 'playing attractive football'. Aren't we starting to do that already?

Or does it mean 'playing attractive football on our way to promotion this season'. When did that bit get added on, or are we seeing a shifting of the goal-posts now that there is a danger of getting the thing that 'we'd just be happy if...'?

We had the various polls at the start of the season about the non renewers and what they/we wanted and a change of style to passing football was overwhelmingly the priority. Thats not going to result in instant success and imho result in a few more nights like Tuesday before we reach the promised land.

Ollie, I can't agree with the sentiment of your op. Why apologise for playing some really attractive football for the best part of 60mins. On another day it could quite easily have been a 4-0 the other way, we wouldn't have scored if we'd played till it went light again. I'm really looking forward to goingto the lane on Saturday, how many times could you have said that during Robson's and Blackwell's era?

Also, if i remember rightly Yeates was already stripped and waiting to come on when we went 2-0 down.

UTB

see the thread (http://www.s24su.com/showthread.php?20276-Gary-Speed) people genuinly questioning whether he is the right man for the job, after a few days bnefore he was the messiah.

The OP of that thread is an owl.
One of the people slamming the regime has 'Toronto' in his username, so I think we can safely say he doesn't attend many games.
The other is Torrix, who recently seems to be going through the menopause.

The Sunderland game was awful (I remember it well) but they were a decent side. Scunthorpe (imo) are the worst in the league.

Well, on this occasion, your opinion is erroneous - heres a link to the league table as it stands today....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/table/default.stm

If you want to act like a child and take your ball home then so be it. My personal opinion is thta he should be man, stand up and be counted and say he made mistakes. That includes apologising to the 19k fans who paid to watch the worst home result in the last 25 years.

You may be right, however I'm more interested how it is now the worst home result in 25 years now? When less than 24 hours ago, it was the worst home result in 20 years....

Thing I find funny is some of people that moaned when Blackwell had the reins, that the football was dire 'results don't matter, I want to be entertained' are now complaining that its a result business and that’s all that matters. Asks yourselves truly what would you rather have the long ball, little or no chances, maybe nicking games and dire performances and feeling of nothing when leaving the ground? Or the team we have had over the last two games, creating chances, movement and space and at least (if not always in the best result) keeping us entertained? Because if its the former you have just spent the last couple of years lying to everyone on here and yourself!

Come on get a grip! Get behind Speed and the team! Lets have the support we truly need now for the club trying to change its culture.

Whilst I applaud the 'new' United way of playing football I was disappointed that Speedo didn't directly explain the performance!
I agree that it was a bit of a freak match and most on here were walking home feeling content that the Blades were very, very unlucky Lets be honest ....................
No matter how we played the defending was shite and totally unacceptable- putting Morgan back in will not cure the ills of Tuesday night
Calve and Robson defended ordinarily, Nosworthy and Bartley were awful against one would expect an attack which will not score 4 goals per game very often!!!
Nosworthy is a dilemma, probably the highest paid defender on the books (for a season anyway) and a total lack of consistancy. He nearly gifted a goal to Preston, his distribution is questionable and his lack of pace alarming. In Monty, Britton and Ertl we also have the slowest midfield trio sitting in front of the back four ............
Add that to our frailties up front and we are facing a long hard season I'm afraid to say!

"Originally Posted by LS26BLADE

LOLZ
Why is that people have to resort to persoanl abuse? I see isnults like this as a sign of weakness and lack of intelligence. When someone is arguing/debating with you and they suddenly say 'fuck you, you wanker' then they lose the argument by default. So thanks for your wonderful contribution.

I wonder if Linz and Foxy (quick to reprimand me for 'acting not in the spirit of the forum') have noticed this. I'm not into telling tales and I relaise the nature of my posts will get me some stick, put this kind of post (from LS26) is simply pathetic"

SO

So once again, another thread where one guy has an opinion, which is fair enough we're all entitled to them. No opinion is right or wrong, it's one persons viewpoint on a subject. So why not discuss your viewpoint on the same subject instead of ripping apart someone elses and resorting to, in some cases, personal attacks.

Seriously, this place is becoming like a kids playground!

Some of you seriously need to grow up, or get some perspective!

Possibly, but with us being on top, it would have seemed likely we would have got back into the game.

Definition of 'change'? He did put Cresswell up top when Yeates came on. But I agree with you that Boggy should have come on earlier/

I'd have also been tempted to bring Quinny on for Ertl.

How attacking do you want to be? Did you not see the blistering start to the game we made?

That's a great way to give players confidence.... 'here lads, have a good game and you'll be dropped'.... btw he was on the bench at Derby, and nothing has been mentioned of that because we won.

You're complaining that changes were left too late, but when GS makes a forward thinking change, he is slagged off for it. Bizarre really

Robbie as one of the longest serving members on this forum i respect your comments, but united once again are to predictable same tactics home and away. Picking up on the points you picked up on, a fresh striker was needed earlier the 11 out there rotated round or not weren't having success. Attacking at home would be 4-4-2 not 4-5-1 thats not to attacking. A club captain should be first on the team sheet other players should respect that. I just noticed it was monty taken off not ertl or britton, all 3 players are the same but monty was stand in captain so was surprised (but glad) he was dragged off.

we'll win more than we'll lose playing like that so i'm not unduly worried.. we were going nowhere under blackwell anyway.. at least the games are 'watchable' now and we aren't the laughing stock of the league

Back
Top Bottom