Spare a thought for Mark Duffy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wilder had them in a meeting after promotion & said that they’d all get the promotion pay increase in their current contracts & if we stayed up beyond the first season the club would look at contract re-negotiations after that .
After meeting Duffy went to see Wilder & said Stoke were after him & he wanted a pay increase in a re-negotiated contact , rest is history. Before anyone asks a very very reliable source .
Iv seen a quote from duff sayin he didn't ask for a rise just an extension of his current contract

Given his age too, there’s no reason to think if he didn’t get binned off when he did that he may be still playing for us now. He’s the same age as Billy.

Not a chance. Billy is in great shape for a bloke the wrong side of 35 and even he barely made a dent in the PL.

Duffy rarely played 90 mins for us and there are reasons why he didn't get a sideways move after he left us and more reasons why he's essentially now retired. He was released by a League Two and rejected by a National League North side, before signing for a part-time team. It's madness to even consider that he'd get minutes in the Championship.

Club legend and part of a story written in ink, but he left at the right time even if it was the wrong circumstances.

After TC, Woody, and maybe Browny, he's the most entertaining midfielder I've seen at The Lane since 1966. First cracks shown in Wilder's management style when he fired Duffy off. It's not 1950, footballers these days need to be managed in different ways. He should have manoeuvred, massaged and stroked his ego. Instead, he wanted to play the big, tough guy. Still, we had Lundstram waiting...

Wilder had them in a meeting after promotion & said that they’d all get the promotion pay increase in their current contracts & if we stayed up beyond the first season the club would look at contract re-negotiations after that .
After meeting Duffy went to see Wilder & said Stoke were after him & he wanted a pay increase in a re-negotiated contact , rest is history. Before anyone asks a very very reliable source .

Wasn't this on the advise of his agent as well?

Not a chance. Billy is in great shape for a bloke the wrong side of 35 and even he barely made a dent in the PL.

Duffy rarely played 90 mins for us and there are reasons why he didn't get a sideways move after he left us and more reasons why he's essentially now retired. He was released by a League Two and rejected by a National League North side, before signing for a part-time team. It's madness to even consider that he'd get minutes in the Championship.

Club legend and part of a story written in ink, but he left at the right time even if it was the wrong circumstances.

I know Billy is a lot fitter, and I’m not convinced myself that Duffy would be playing now if we kept him, but I also think your arguments are moot points and don’t agree. If you’d taken any of the players from that team out of it and put them in at another club they’d not have pulled any trees up IMO. It was the unique system, their suitability to it and their understanding of each other’s games that made us so good.

I know Billy is a lot fitter, and I’m not convinced myself that Duffy would be playing now if we kept him, but I also think your arguments are moot points and don’t agree. If you’d taken any of the players from that team out of it and put them in at another club they’d not have pulled any trees up IMO. It was the unique system, their suitability to it and their understanding of each other’s games that made us so good.

I would agree that he might've gone on longer at a high level had he been able to keep his place in our team, but that was never going to happen once we were promoted anyway.

We're not talking about pulling trees up elsewhere, we're talking about making any kind of contribution in the 4th tier (which he didn't), getting a contract at a 6th tier club (which he couldn't) and ultimately signing for a part-time club in the 9th tier (which he did).

Had we not been promoted in 2019 we might have got one more decent season out of him. Look at this career before and after us, he's never been an athlete or destined for a long and successful career. He's an honest journeyman who had a great spell with one club, which happened to be us.

If we're saying the Blades effect can bridge the gap between the 2nd tier and the 9th then scouting would be easy. There are light years in between.

Wasn't this on the advise of his agent as well?
Probably so Bladesman , rightly or wrongly he chose to take the actions he did , Wilder probably wanted to make a stand point maybe fearing this would set a precedent for others .
In the cold light of day i don't think the aftermath benefitted either party .
Definitely think he would have still had a part to play in the season after , even if off the bench .

Probably so Bladesman , rightly or wrongly he chose to take the actions he did , Wilder probably wanted to make a stand point maybe fearing this would set a precedent for others .
In the cold light of day i don't think the aftermath benefitted either party .
Definitely think he would have still had a part to play in the season after , even if off the bench .

I am not so sure, I think if Freeman didn't get a look in then I doubt Duffy was going to.

Wilder ditched the CAM role.

I am not so sure, I think if Freeman didn't get a look in then I doubt Duffy was going to.

Wilder ditched the CAM role.
Quite possibly so , i also liked Freeman but as you say fell victim to results ( Palace home game he turned game for us when he came on ) . I suppose while ever the flat mid 3 was getting us results in that first season you could understand Wilders thinking , unfortunately last season we got sussed & could never understand CW’s stubbornness in in trying something different

Back
Top Bottom