Sorry Brewster your time is up….

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Is he? Both have had good championship loan spells. Outside of the 3 goals (counting the Pickford og) hard to really separate archer and Brewster. I think both are very alike.
Hard to separate Archer and Brewster?
Is it?
Brewster, 57 appearances 4 goals
Archer, 8 appearances 2 goals.

Brewster one goal in almost every 15 matches. Yet to score in Premiership
Archer one goal every 4 matches. Both scored in Premiership.

I think they are very different.

Last edited:

The trouble is these "reasonable critiques" have come on the back of next to no games where Brewster has been both physically and match fit in order to properly show what he can do
Mate he’s had numerous opportunities over 3 seasons..he’s been given more time and patience than any player I can remember from the fans in recent times (me included).

It would be funny, but I’m not sure what it proves other than most of us are clueless at valuing players, and seemingly so are the professionals.

From my memory, I was happy, but probably because we were making a big signing that Wilder wanted.

None of it moves on from the reality today that it turns out he’s not very good.🥲
Or that when you sign any player it's a gamble. Every club in the PL has spent huge sums on players that have produced fuck all.

I don't think you were watching the same game as I was. He wasn't better than Archer in the first half. Archer went deeper to try and get on the ball. Brewsters movement consisted of half hearted attempts to put pressure on defenders and not moving in to space where he should be going when we have the ball. Archer is a totally different player. Archers finishes show that he has real quality if we can get more ball to him.

Putting aside Brewsters injury problems the point quite a few of us on here are making is that he doesn't seem to be able to read the game and doesn't make intelligent runs.
From a development point of view he looks like the player who first turned up for us in that the game passes him by.
You definitely wasn't watching the same game as me, Archer was terrible first half (alot of our fans have mentioned that in other posts) he looked like he couldn't be bothered, at least Brewster was putting the effort in...

Look, we haven’t got much of a choice at the moment, unless we change our formation and tactics. But I’ve always advocated for playing one up front in this league.

People who are saying Brewster is only league one quality - are you just being ridiculously hyperbolic because you don't like the player for whatever reason, or are you being serious?
I think anyone with negative views on Brewster cannot be criticised JT, sorry. He's cost us £20m plus and whilst that's nothing to do with him you expect better for a player who's cost that. He appears a lovely lad, he's got a good attitude, he supports the team when injured and that's all admirable but he needs to show why he cost £20m and whilst the injuries haven't helped I can't see a £20m player in there, no where near. He's done well for England under 21's saying that and maybe he needs to be in a side that dominates possession and he has plenty of the ball, I don't know. He seems to lack composure though for me and just tries to hit everything as hard as he can when he shoots and inevitably shoots over. Had he gone through one on one like Archer did I'm convinced he'd have shot over. He really needs a consistent spell in the team to get some form but for a team battling relegation I just can't see how he'll get back to what he did for Swansea unless he goes out on loan in January. I think that might be best for him if we do bring in another forward and/or Jebbo comes back to fitness.

I think anyone with negative views on Brewster cannot be criticised JT, sorry.

There is criticism, which is fair and I can perfectly understand that (although I do think that a lot of the criticism comes from things that are through no fault of Brewster, which posters are then making the fault of Brewster), then there's saying he's basically a Cambridge United level of player at best, which is just slagging him off to a silly extent for no good reason

Rhian Brewster Stats - Detailed​

Premier League Stats for Rhian Brewster​

GeneralTotalPer 90 MinutesPercentile
Matches Played5N/A
Minutes16433 min' per appearance
Matches Started2N/A
Matches Subbed In3N/A
Matches Subbed Out2N/A

hard to score when you only average 33 minutes on the pitch
total of 164 minutes this season is less than 2 games

There is criticism, which is fair and I can perfectly understand that (although I do think that a lot of the criticism comes from things that are through no fault of Brewster, which posters are then making the fault of Brewster), then there's saying he's basically a Cambridge United level of player at best, which is just slagging him off to a silly extent for no good reason
None of it is the fault of Brewster - even those of use who don't think he's very good, or physically up to it, don't blame the lad for that.

It isn't silly to suggest he's league one level either. He's had more time failing one level higher than he's had succeeding, which was a few years ago now. And there's (some) evidence to suggest that the injuries have taken their toll, and he's gone backwards.

And there's (some) evidence to suggest that the injuries have taken their toll, and he's gone backwards.

That may end up being true, I'll give people that - but until he's actually properly fit to test that assertion (if ever), then it's all speculation

He's had 54 appearances to show what he can properly do.

Not much at all!

If that's the level of analysis then god help us. Let's break those 54 appearances down:

• 27 of those were in the last PL season, where he got less than 40 minutes per appearance (so only about a dozen games' worth of actual minutes) as part of a "try to find someone other than McGoldrick who can score" three way roulette with McBurnie and Burke, where not only is he coming into a new team, he is not being offered anything remotely like a consistent striking partner or consistent minutes, and pretty much everyone apart from Didz across the rest of the park was playing like dogshit
  • 14 of those were in the Championship, where most people would agree he was looking pretty decent under Slav until he got injured
  • Slav then gets sacked, Hecky comes in with his wonderful conditioning and fitness regime, and Brewster hasn't been match fit since

He's definitely got a shot on him, and on Saturday some of his flicks were classy. But positionally fraid he's hopeless. He runs around like a school kid chasing ball here there and everywhere- it is literally akin to someone who how as no idea how to play football. His positional sense is so bad- not sure it can be put right- it shows a huge deficit in a footballing brain.

People who are saying Brewster is only league one quality - are you just being ridiculously hyperbolic because you don't like the player for whatever reason, or are you being serious?
Personally I think if Brewster was a racehorse he’d be Pedigree Chum quality by now.

You definitely wasn't watching the same game as me, Archer was terrible first half (alot of our fans have mentioned that in other posts) he looked like he couldn't be bothered, at least Brewster was putting the effort in...
I watched Brewster carefully as it was his first start and I was hoping to see an improvement in how he played. He with Hamer coming with the ball across the box he stood still until the centre half put his arms around him chance gone.. There was a break from Hamer with Archer in support and there was huge room in front of both down our right. Brewster didn't move chance gone. Just before he went off injured he backed into the defender looking for a free instead of turning on to the ball. Chance gone. If that is putting the effort in. You have a low standard. He does not read the game or make chances for himself.

I watched Brewster carefully as it was his first start and I was hoping to see an improvement in how he played. He with Hamer coming with the ball across the box he stood still until the centre half put his arms around him chance gone.. There was a break from Hamer with Archer in support and there was huge room in front of both down our right. Brewster didn't move chance gone. Just before he went off injured he backed into the defender looking for a free instead of turning on to the ball. Chance gone. If that is putting the effort in. You have a low standard. He does not read the game or make chances for himself.
Sorry but I think you are letting his price tag cloud your judgement.
If you couldn't see that Brewster was better and put more effort in than Archer up to Brewster going off then I don't think even specsavers can help you.

That may end up being true, I'll give people that - but until he's actually properly fit to test that assertion (if ever), then it's all speculation
Nonsense, in that case I never got a chance to prove myself as a professional footballer but no one can say I’m not good enough because they haven’t seen me play.

Sorry but I think you are letting his price tag cloud your judgement.
If you couldn't see that Brewster was better and put more effort in than Archer up to Brewster going off then I don't think even specsavers can help you.
Nothing about his price tag. Its his lack of movement on the field is the issue. When he played for us first he was lost. I appreciate that he has had injuries and the price tag doesn't help him with most fans.
I was in BLUT looking directly at him. Archer wasn't good first half at all. I don't glasses to see what is in front of me.

He doesn't seem to have the awareness of a top striker, as above it's another player we're giving more time to bed in, how long do we persist with Him, Jebbo, etc, they need to step up their game, we can't waste time trying them at this level

He doesn't seem to have the awareness of a top striker, as above it's another player we're giving more time to bed in, how long do we persist with Him, Jebbo, etc, they need to step up their game, we can't waste time trying them at this level
I think the only one that recognised all his weaknesses was Slav. Hence playing him wider and deeper in the hope that he would develop his range of passing and develop his positional sense. Great point re bedding in. We have had a few of them. Moussett, Burke, Freeman, Brewster, Bogle, Lowe, Jack Robinson. Jack came good after a McBurnie a mixed bag. What I find interesting is that the less a player plays the more positive some fans get about his abilities. Berge suddenly appeared as one of our best 2 players when we sold him. A jump of about 9 places.

If that's the level of analysis then god help us. Let's break those 54 appearances down:

• 27 of those were in the last PL season, where he got less than 40 minutes per appearance (so only about a dozen games' worth of actual minutes) as part of a "try to find someone other than McGoldrick who can score" three way roulette with McBurnie and Burke, where not only is he coming into a new team, he is not being offered anything remotely like a consistent striking partner or consistent minutes, and pretty much everyone apart from Didz across the rest of the park was playing like dogshit
  • 14 of those were in the Championship, where most people would agree he was looking pretty decent under Slav until he got injured
  • Slav then gets sacked, Hecky comes in with his wonderful conditioning and fitness regime, and Brewster hasn't been match fit since
How about this for analysis.
27 times 40 minutes is 1080 minutes. Thats a dozen 90 minute games.
In those equivalent of 12 games he didn't score once. Games, according to your analysis, where everyone was playing like dogshit. Including him.

Most people on here don't agree he has ever looked pretty decent. even in the championship.They agree the opposite.
If you think he's great, fine. That's your opinion.

It's quite easy to fool people. But a lot harder to convince people that have been fooled, that they've been fooled.

Back
Top Bottom