Singing Section at the lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bigger Blade argument will never work for me. Some sing throughout, for some it takes action on the pitch to get going, some prefer not to sing at all and leave it to the rest, and some physically can't do it. That doesn't change who we support or how much it means to us.

I believe I am just as vocal as anyone in supporting the team (I'm sure those of you who have seen me at matches would back me up with that) but I've never considered myself to be better or bigger than any other fan for being that way. Some people just aren't naturally like that. I wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to United games, because it's who I am. I'm competetive, and maybe deep down I think I'm doing my bit for the team by doing so.

Let's stop the bitchy 'bigger fan' arguments and worry about more pressing issues, like how we're going to beat Wednesday 6-0 on Sunday afternoon :thumbup:

Iv not said once that im a bigger blade than you because i have a scarf etc, thats just your paranoid thoughts once again, what im saying is if a group of people want to sit together and get an atmosphere going then who are you to judge?

Its a positive thing for the club, ask the players if they prefer playing at BL when the atmosphere is banging or when its in silence, they will back this up. I also walk out with a smile on my face after games like Saturday when i have been singing non stop for 90 minutes and if this area gets a few hundread more people to renew next season, I really cant see any negatives apart from some of you thinking that we hate you, believe me that isnt the case, we are all blades!!!!

My family sit on the Laver stand and have been going for years, they dont sing but they still follow the club and believe it or not, I dont come home saying im a bigger blade than you, look at my scarf.

I mentioned people are out buying scarfes, flags etc and are excited about going to the next sheffield united home game, people HAPPY AND EXCITED about going back to the lane, I really really REALLY cant see a negative side to having this singing section.

Why the hell is everyone getting so ridiculous about the whole singing section issue? I thought it was great, the people who sat around me in the Kop down at the front all thought it was great, and everyone was saying how much they wanted to go be a part of the fun next time round, they weren't the stereotypical 12-25 year olds as previously quoted, there were a few veterans who said it as well, so that's a definite plus. Good positive atmosphere in the ground Saturday I thought, and it will hopefully grow and encourage more people to join in. There is no elitism or anything of the sort, just fans wanting to have a bloody good time which is how it should be! If a small section can get most of the ground creating a buzzing atmosphere, I for one am most up for that. As Daz says, lets stop bitching about this and concentrate on making plenty of noise at the sty and helping to send those bastards back to Div 3!!

And PS - take Stoke as an example, that place is like a bloody fortress for them, win or lose, bet they don't even consider elitism issues and all that Jazz

The bigger Blade argument will never work for me. Some sing throughout, for some it takes action on the pitch to get going, some prefer not to sing at all and leave it to the rest, and some physically can't do it. That doesn't change who we support or how much it means to us.

I believe I am just as vocal as anyone in supporting the team (I'm sure those of you who have seen me at matches would back me up with that) but I've never considered myself to be better or bigger than any other fan for being that way. Some people just aren't naturally like that. I wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to United games, because it's who I am. I'm competetive, and maybe deep down I think I'm doing my bit for the team by doing so.

Let's stop the bitchy 'bigger fan' arguments and worry about more pressing issues, like how we're going to beat Wednesday 6-0 on Sunday afternoon :thumbup:

We all know the answer to your last question, Monty is gonna have a scoring brace and sign off his sheffield united career in style.

As for the bigger blade argument, the few posters on here from the singing section are not using the bigger blade argument, its the ones who arnt sitting there making this argument, its usually something along the lines off:

* I think this singing section area is a good idea

*Why because you and your young uns can say your a bigger blade than me, iv been going since you was in nappies young un and you need to treat us with the respect we deserve cos i went in the 4th division, bunch of chavs!!!!!

* I know but i just think it will bring an atmsophere to the ground

* Why so you young uns can show your a bigger blade cos you sing, iv been going since you was in nappies, iv sang my heart out for decades and I now want to sit and watch the game

We are not against people who dont sing, we just want to create an atmosphere at the Lane!

I think you will find however that some of the ring leaders over on BM do actually think they bigger, more important Blades and more importantly think those that don't sing are lesser fans.

The way some of this has gone to their heads and they now think they are superfans, it reminds me of the likes of Red Robbo in his prime. Little people who are assuming that have power and making out they are sticking it to the man (in this case the club).

Getting a better atmosphere good idea, but if the elitism is already starting to show at this early stage I think we can guess where this will end up. It's seemingly already about their egos rather than the atmosphere, check out the thread on BM for evidence. Was it about getting a better atmosphere or the Ultras getting one over on the evil club?

Why the hell is everyone getting so ridiculous about the whole singing section issue? I thought it was great, the people who sat around me in the Kop down at the front all thought it was great, and everyone was saying how much they wanted to go be a part of the fun next time round, they weren't the stereotypical 12-25 year olds as previously quoted, there were a few veterans who said it as well, so that's a definite plus. Good positive atmosphere in the ground Saturday I thought, and it will hopefully grow and encourage more people to join in. There is no elitism or anything of the sort, just fans wanting to have a bloody good time which is how it should be! If a small section can get most of the ground creating a buzzing atmosphere, I for one am most up for that. As Daz says, lets stop bitching about this and concentrate on making plenty of noise at the sty and helping to send those bastards back to Div 3!!

And PS - take Stoke as an example, that place is like a bloody fortress for them, win or lose, bet they don't even consider elitism issues and all that Jazz

Exactly, we are not against fans who dont sing and we dont see ourselves as superior because we like to sing and have a good time. Hell when im in my mid 40s and have grandkids i want to sit on the John street with my grandkids and watch the game in a nice area where the young uns can feel comfortable in, but i hope to got the next generation are on the kop singing their hearts out for the cause.

If you think this is getting fraught, wait till I get the booing section up and running.....

Smithy, how about: There is nothing wrong with a singing section*. There is something wrong with people in the singing section telling other people they're not proper Blades unless they join in.

Actually, just thought of the Holmesdale "Ultras" from last season. There is nothing right with a singing section.;)

smithy and norfolk... you'll find that it's GC88's comments about "better supporters" that are really getting up people's noses (have a look, he said it a couple of pages back. And I've seen more than once that he's bitched about this forum as a whole on Bladesmad).

Like I said, it's the attitude more than anything that is amusing me. Sing, shout, do whatever you like. But start proclaiming that you're better than other people and you're going to turn people off.

Whatever sections people have, I'll be at Hillsborough singing my throat sore. As I always am.

Not singing Dale bloody Wednesday song Cavase though.

If you think this is getting fraught, wait till I get the booing section up and running.....

Smithy, how about: There is nothing wrong with a singing section*. There is something wrong with people in the singing section telling other people they're not proper Blades unless they join in.

Actually, just thought of the Holmesdale "Ultras" from last season. There is nothing right with a singing section.;)

Well people who slate the people who are not singing affects you then dont blame it on the singing section blame it on the actual person. For example if 10 blades make monkey chants against Jermaine Johnsonon sunday, do we then say the whole blades was making monkey chants or do we say 10 idiots from the away section of hillsborough was giving JJ monkey chants. Its the similar thing to this, dont tar everyone with the same brush.

smithy and norfolk... you'll find that it's GC88's comments about "better supporters" that are really getting up people's noses (have a look, he said it a couple of pages back. And I've seen more than once that he's bitched about this forum as a whole on Bladesmad).

Like I said, it's the attitude more than anything that is amusing me. Sing, shout, do whatever you like. But start proclaiming that you're better than other people and you're going to turn people off.

Entirely agree Linz, no supporter is better than anyone else, we're all blades aren't we!? No matter how often we go, what we spend, what songs we know, we're all in the same boat! You might all think you're better fans than me because I don't go often - I couldn't care less if you did and I doubt the majority of people do, I love the Blades with a passion, one that drives my missus up the wall at times and makes my mates think I'm some kind of deluded freak, but I really don't care!

then dont blame it on the singing section blame it on the actual person. Its the similar thing to this, dont tar everyone with the same brush.

Which is why I suggested you re-read my posts, as you've completely missed the point that I was trying to make :)

Exactly, we are not against fans who dont sing and we dont see ourselves as superior because we like to sing and have a good time. Hell when im in my mid 40s and have grandkids i want to sit on the John street with my grandkids and watch the game in a nice area where the young uns can feel comfortable in, but i hope to got the next generation are on the kop singing their hearts out for the cause.

The post on BM starts with the comment "Slag us off now!!!!" which is obviously aimed at a section of the fans.

Here are a few other comments from that thread which can of disprove your point all of which are from the main advocate of this singing section. If this is his opinion and he is the main voice then I continue to have concerns that it isn't about Uniting the fans behind the club but division of fans who are superior to others.

Shame on the club for not encouraging the fans and for trying to help in getting this off the ground. - The club actually got it sorted because the fans lacked what it took to sort it out themselves.
Are you one of those 'undercover' from the club who so want it to fail???
Fck the doubters
You are sat there quivering because we have a chance of turning the lane into a fortress again and we are young un's. Not these hardened 'john st west terrace' blokes.
We are the next generation. We are the next 'supporters'. We've proved that today. You can't deny the fact can you?

Ladies and Gentlemen the ego has landed.

The post on BM starts with the comment "Slag us off now!!!!" which is obviously aimed at a section of the fans.

Here are a few other comments from that thread which can of disprove your point all of which are from the main advocate of this singing section. If this is his opinion and he is the main voice then I continue to have concerns that it isn't about Uniting the fans behind the club but division of fans who are superior to others.

Ladies and Gentlemen the ego has landed.

Can they turn the Lane into a 'fortress'? If vocal support translated into on the field success I doubt wed be entering our 86th trophyless year.

I can't believe how many people are stuck in the past, ignorant, unable to understand the difference between fan and supporter or generally lacking knowledge about modern support.

Anyone against this doesn't deserve to be associated with united and is in effect against the club.

I can't believe how many people are stuck in the past, ignorant, unable to understand the difference between fan and supporter or generally lacking knowledge about modern support.

Anyone against this doesn't deserve to be associated with united and is in effect against the club.

Again, are you putting me in an "against this" category or not? I'm genuinely interested to know.

Would that make them a FUDDER?
and then it'd be all their fault that the team is underachieving :D

That sounds more like "if you don't 100% completely agree with everything I have to say, you aren't a United fan".

Do keep talking though. You are doing naught but proving the point I was trying to make.

Because I've never sung my heart out until nearly sick, have I? Feckin' eejit.

Whats the difference between fan and supporter?
And whats modern support?

Whats the difference between fan and supporter?
And whats modern support?

Modern support began in 1992, before that football never really existed, and those of us that followed SUFC home and away for season after season weren't really supporters or fans as football hadn't begun yet. Supporters obviously shout and sing and do this stood up. Supporters berate those that don't do the same as mere fans even if they have more seasons following the club than the true supporters have zits on their faces. Supporters have flags and scarves and ape al things from the continent and decry any who see this as publically rejecting decades of SUFC fan culture. Supporters sing songs that are associate with SUFCs traditional and long standing enemy, but it doesn't matter and those that find this an insult are just not modern enough. If anyone wants to know why football is going down the toilet, see the attitude of the modern supporter.

I don't paticularly see the point of a season ticket, or being promped kareoke style to sing Annie Songs, or any of that. I prefer to choose and when i sing, and prefer a bit of originality and the singing to be spontaneous.

I don't paticularly buy in to all this ultra's bollocks. Does being an Ultra make someone a better supporter than someone who isn't a Ultra. I saw the self-confessed ultra's in action the other month on the train back out of Bolton and if a few brainless chav's want to call themselves Blades Ultra's whilst smashing the fuck out of a train then i don't want any part of them at all.

Since the new kop stand was built i have always sat in roughly the same place, so that is now 19 years and counting in the same little area of the kop. I know most of the regulars up there and have done for sometime and there is a lot of very knowledgable Blades up there. A few games back there was one idiot up there who i had never seen before, singing "Blackwell Out, Blackwell Out" after about 10 minutes, 5 minutes later he had moved on to "One Bryan Robson" before a few minutes later berating the other Unitedite's for not getting behind the team. To me it proved that the lunatics really are taking over.

I'm seriously tempted sometimes to move away from that area of the kop due to some of the dumplings that are up there but i will not move as why should i be forced out. At least on the forums i get to pick and choose what i read. I prefer to read what is written on here as it usually has some serious debate, rather than the utter shite that is posted on Blades-Mad.

Only you can answer whether you are for or against it.

but yet you've seemingly already decided?

As you've also already categorised a number of Blades you know nothing about.

SEB & Brownie, I'm with you on this.

Funny thing is, due to my age I only started going to the lane in the very early 90's, at the end of the Kop Standing, John St West, Kop corner standing... I was late to join the standing brigades, but I was one of the ones that switched the lights off on the standing areas when the last area was pulled down... So i can see some of GC88's

I had a similar discussion with GC88 way back in the season about the Ultra's tag. Its not something I want associated with my club, I said before, I worked in Italy and know what Ultra's mean's over there and also what it means in places like Greece...

I said before, I have no problem with Singing sections, but Bramall lane Football ground is THE singing section, if GC88 thinks that a singing section (Gangway A Ultra's or whatever they'll call themselves) will become anything other than a segregation is laughable, but then again for GC88 to bang on about his crowd audit findings is even more so.

I wonder what i'm classed as? GC88, have you also wondered why the atmosphere has dropped in the last couple of seasons? Perhaps because some of us don't feel like singing like idiots when the team play like idiots. As I said before, i'll sing and shout to get behind my team when it suits, I guess this makes me reactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom