Singing Section at the lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Do keep talking though. You are doing naught but proving the point I was trying to make."

What is your point? All you seem to mention is Johhny come latelys telling you how to support the team.

Whats the difference between fan and supporter?
And whats modern support?

A fan is someone who has an admiration of something/someone.

A supporter is a type of fan.

Modern support in my opinion is a more sustained atmosphere than a reactive/spontaneous atmopshere.

Is anyone else still following this?

Is anyone else still following this?

im bored of the petty arguing to be fair, who gives a shit so long as we all get behind the team, christ, anyone would think some pig fans had infiltrated the site or something

A fan is someone who has an admiration of something/someone.

A supporter is a type of fan.

Modern support in my opinion is a more sustained atmosphere than a reactive/spontaneous atmopshere.

Thanks GC88, I was still with you on fan, you lost me on supporter as you've basically said for Supporter, see fan.

All very confusing, so i'll choose to be a conscript if thats ok with you. You can reclassify me on Sunday if needs be depending on how spontaneously I react. :D

So based upon what you've said, "Modern Support" is like "Classical Support" but you get to decide who is a modern supporter through a stringent Supporter (see fan) audit at games.

Go Ultras!

This is getting more confusing than Lost...

Only you can answer whether you are for or against it.
Well I've said all power to them but their egos are already taking over. Where do I stand in your binary world? Serious question.

Who has mentioned ultras? I haven't.

Apologies GC88, you're "Modern Supporters". You have mentioned several times on here in that there isn't an official name and you don't know where the name Ultra's came from, but you associated yourself with the group that called itself the Ultras (back in August), so by association you accept this name.

Anyway, I hear that the group have evolved now and are called the "A Force", but obviously this name was nothing to do with you either, just a group you're part of.

"you don't know where the name Ultra's came from"

With regard to world football supporters or the group earlier in the season?

If it's the former you couldn't be more wrong, if it's the latter then its embarassing there are no tue ultras groups in England only ones influenced by European groups.

"you don't know where the name Ultra's came from"

With regard to world football supporters or the group earlier in the season?

If it's the former you couldn't be more wrong, if it's the latter then its embarassing there are no tue ultras groups in England only ones influenced by European groups.

I'll go with the latter, because that was what you said way back last year. :D

As for the English being influenced by European groups, I guess this has come full circle then, from my experience, the European "groups" have a history of reflecting English Culture and many of the groups see English or sometimes Irish "passion" of the 70's, 80's or 90's as something to strive towards

The 'group' earlier on in the season was nothing.

The groups in Europe took influence from a number of countries not just England but have been around since the 50's.

I haven't got a clue if i'm a supporter or not!

Is that 40 odd fooking years wasted if I can't sing for 90 minutes?

Ps....I'am a noisy bugger who can't help but do a "monkey walk" as Linz calls it.

Ps1.....I thought the kop wasn't as loud last match as less people seemed to join in......not against anyone wanting to sing either before anyone may not agree with that comment.

Up The Blades!

The groups in Europe took influence from a number of countries not just England but have been around since the 50's.

Wikipedia's great isn't it!:D

True they've been around a while, i'm not sure how they developed, but I was refering to the more recent influences that have been taken from English (could be extended to British and also Irish) Culture, which i've seen in Europe. This was in reaction to your reference to the embarrassing English groups that have based themselves on European Ultra's, which in turn based themselves on the English model from former years.

It seems like you're confused as to what you want to be GC88, in this "modern supporters" group.

You don't want to be an embarrassing English Ultra's group, yet you continually talk of being a group that wants to stand together, singing constantly, in what seems to be a diluted version of an Ultras group.

You also don't want to be a reactive/ spontaneous fan/ Supporter (see fan) etc because they're not as good supporters (see fan) as you (you've seen how they act remember) and god forbid if they're older than 40 and go to an away game and don't sing... they're the worst type aren't they?

I think you've got a point and you're trying to use your initiative (amongst your group), but perhaps the simplest thing to do is be a Blade and embrace the culture that we have as "United". The groups that you clearly look up to are probably getting a lot of influence from how we were. Look back at the times when we did have a great atmosphere, its not that long ago, but its also linked recently to the success we've had.

Don't see the problem with this idea. All the people there aren't spotty teenagers (most of us ARE old enough to drink).

All we are doing is supporting a team in a way we think is the best, we are bringing colour and noise into the Lane and make it enjoyable. I have recieve messages from people who take their kids to the Lane and are along the lines of "my kid enjoyed it so much and enjoyed joining in on some songs"

This has to be a good thing and needs backing from everyone. I don't see myself as 'more of a Blade than anyone else' and 'on a pedistal' infact i just see myself as a new breed of fan and a fan that is the future of this club.
You say we all could have got tickets together but how do we go about doing this? Not everyone is on BM or S24SU. Alot of people don't have the internet. With the club anouncing this it has got the word out to alot of fans who want to join us, alot of fans who are the future of this club. Without fans like them then this club die in the future, who wants to support a boring team with boring fans. Making matches fun again is key for the future of our club.

If you don't like us keep it to yourself, don't become a keyboard warrior (as most of you on here refer to us as) we aren't hurting anyone. If you don't like the songs noone is forcing you to join in.

Hi sam... and welcome to the forum.

You will note that a lot of people are responding to GC88's proclamation that he sees his particular brand of support as being better than everyone else's.

Now, he might not speak for all of you, and no one is saying that he does... but it's his particular views that have irritated people. A more eloquent and uniting approach akin to yours, norfolkblade's and to some extent, smithy1987's and you might not have seen this thread go on to 10 pages :)

No one wants to stop people singing. They do want to knock some vastly overinflated egos down a peg or two though and if this group wants to reach out to people, then they would do well to take peoples' opinions on board instead of just trying to shut people up and tell them to stop criticising. Their opinions are just as valid as yours.

This is a forum where we do not censure people's opinions. If people want to have their say on an issue, certainly you nor I will stop them :)

The club seems happy with us :
http://www.sufc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10418~1991206,00.html

Like i've said, not everyone will like the brand of support we have. We are looking to bring more colour to Lane in the form of Scarves, Flags etc. and bring lots of noise. I agree alot of people who were there take full credit for the section and want to brand themselves as the "Biggest Blade" whenever people say that I always think of a certain phrase 'All Blades aren't we?'
This phrase seems to be more important now because we need to all be one big voice but i agree alot of people don't want to sing for one reason or another.

I for one have been very proactive in this (got one of them Facebook groups, emailed them dozens of time and along with about 10 other people have got what we asked for.)

We had a great time and older Blades (and alot of younger Blades!) loved having us at Gangway A, arguably the quietest part of the ground in recent years. I hope this takes off and we grow in numbers. This reason alone convinced me to renew my ST and look forward to next season. If you have any questions or complaints about the section you join up our group on Facebook and send me a message. We don't want fans alienated by the group or belittled we're all here to support the team and that is what we intend to do, but as you well know it only takes one bad apple!

UTB

Like i've said, not everyone will like the brand of support we have. We are looking to bring more colour to Lane in the form of Scarves, Flags etc. and bring lots of noise. I agree alot of people who were there take full credit for the section and want to brand themselves as the "Biggest Blade" whenever people say that I always think of a certain phrase 'All Blades aren't we?'
This phrase seems to be more important now because we need to all be one big voice but i agree alot of people don't want to sing for one reason or another.

I for one have been very proactive in this (got one of them Facebook groups, emailed them dozens of time and along with about 10 other people have got what we asked for.)

We had a great time and older Blades (and alot of younger Blades!) loved having us at Gangway A, arguably the quietest part of the ground in recent years. I hope this takes off and we grow in numbers. This reason alone convinced me to renew my ST and look forward to next season. If you have any questions or complaints about the section you join up our group on Facebook and send me a message. We don't want fans alienated by the group or belittled we're all here to support the team and that is what we intend to do, but as you well know it only takes one bad apple!

UTB

Big big praise to the club for coming out and putting something on the website. Well done guys. Now give the lads the back centre of the Kop and we'll all be dancing!!!

We don't want fans alienated by the group or belittled we're all here to support the team and that is what we intend to do, but as you well know it only takes one bad apple!

That's what I like to hear :D

Do stick around and keep us to up date with what's going on. I don't think any of us old buggers over here really have a problem with more colour and more atmosphere being created. It's when the old buggers get told they aren't Blades fans for not joining in that they get a little tetchy ;)

UTB

Also big praise for yourselves. Identifying a problem and being pro-active - doing something about it.

I'll all up for Blades getting together to get behind the team, but having watched the youtube 'Dale Cavese' footage I'm at a loss at how jumping up and down singing 'la la la' etc does anything but create a bit of white noise. I could understand if you were all singing United songs all game but you weren't, far from it in fact.

That said, fair play to you for trying to get something going.

Wikipedia's great isn't it!:D

True they've been around a while, i'm not sure how they developed, but I was refering to the more recent influences that have been taken from English (could be extended to British and also Irish) Culture, which i've seen in Europe. This was in reaction to your reference to the embarrassing English groups that have based themselves on European Ultra's, which in turn based themselves on the English model from former years.

It seems like you're confused as to what you want to be GC88, in this "modern supporters" group.

You don't want to be an embarrassing English Ultra's group, yet you continually talk of being a group that wants to stand together, singing constantly, in what seems to be a diluted version of an Ultras group.

You also don't want to be a reactive/ spontaneous fan/ Supporter (see fan) etc because they're not as good supporters (see fan) as you (you've seen how they act remember) and god forbid if they're older than 40 and go to an away game and don't sing... they're the worst type aren't they?

I think you've got a point and you're trying to use your initiative (amongst your group), but perhaps the simplest thing to do is be a Blade and embrace the culture that we have as "United". The groups that you clearly look up to are probably getting a lot of influence from how we were. Look back at the times when we did have a great atmosphere, its not that long ago, but its also linked recently to the success we've had.

Wikipedia?

That's an insult, it's something I have read about and watched regularly for years.

I didn't say the English groups were embarassing, calling themselves ultras is.

Welcome Sam!

Seems like you've got a balanced view on this and like I said to GC88, you've got a point. Good on you for wanting to improve things.

However, I thought you let yourself down with the link to the OS article "Sing it again Blades". :) That's got to be one of the most cringe worthy articles i've read on the OS in a while, worse than reading the OS match reports
Is that what we now consider a terrace success? Taking a song that everyone sings and getting 80 fans to sing (are there actually any words) it. I know that you're the "new" generation and I know that you don't want a boring atmosphere (personally I thought being a Blade was mainly about the football), but any vision of a Blades Singing section should be about incorporating the Blades Stamp on songs. It makes me cringe to think that we're ripping off a fashionable song. Has X factor taught you nothing? Do you and the "A-Force" not know the meaning of unique? What next? Will we go back to the de-der-der de... *Insert Name* (as featured with Akinbadbuy and numerous other players) chant that seemed to be used for every player since. Are we going to "bounce because we're Blades"...

I'm not digging at you personally, but just because you're the "new generation and the club are spinning the trial singing section, doesn't mean that you shouldn't listen to the long in the tooth Blades on here. And of course at the same time, the long in the tooth Blades on here shouldn't just dismiss your ideas.

But listen to the cult songs around the lane, listen to the words, these songs have stuck because they're unique to the Blades, sure some are rip off's from other clubs, but they're rip off's that've been adapted to the Blades, our love of the club, the history of no money, our rivalry with the pigs etc... When you first went to the lane did you listen to the songs and think I/we can do better or did the iconic songs like the GCB, barrel of money, hark now hear, super blades men etc etc etc keep bringing a smile to your face when you went to school on the monday? The latter was certainly my abiding memory as a young Blade.

As for the club's patronising pointer to YouTube to demonstrate how "Dale Cavese" could sound when sung by thousands, have our own club forgotten the last few years. How about pointing us to YouTube to see the number of videos with the now famous "GCB", our own song, blasted out by thousands of our own fans game after game, year after year...

Ok so it was just the trial of this section, but the club consider it so successful that 80 (not 800 or 8000) of a 23,603 crowd is not what I would call a resounding success...

If you and the club want/ think this singing section (or whatever you call it) will work then it needs to be good enough to get people interested, otherwise it'll be just 80 lads at the back corner of the Kop irritating the rest of the crowd with innane italian rip off's, no doubt twirling Green and Yellow Scarves like Man U.

Wikipedia?

That's an insult, it's something I have read about and watched regularly for years.

I didn't say the English groups were embarassing, calling themselves ultras is.

I'd keep reading then GC88 ;)

I was excusing your niavity as ignorance to the Hooligan element strongly inbedded in a lot of these groups (not to mention the mafia and criminal involvement as well).

And if you're trying to emulate the 'Ultras' in all but name, then why is embarrassing for English Groups to call themselves Ultras?

Here you are... this was you lot just after KO in the first half:

singingsection.jpg

I'd keep reading then GC88 ;)

I was excusing your niavity as ignorance to the Hooligan element strongly inbedded in a lot of these groups (not to mention the mafia and criminal involvement as well).

And if you're trying to emulate the 'Ultras' in all but name, then why is embarrassing for English Groups to call themselves Ultras?

I personally am not trying to emulate ultras but I think you, like most, have missed the point entirely and have though too much about it.

It's just an area in the ground for people who want to sing to go - that's it.

I personally am not trying to emulate ultras but I think you, like most, have missed the point entirely and have though too much about it.

It's just an area in the ground for people who want to sing to go - that's it.

No GC88. I get the point, I just think the point you're making about what you class as "modern supporters" and other Blades is ridiculous.

I wish you well in your crusade, I said a long while ago on other threads that I sing in my seat and do not feel the need for a dedicated singing section, in fact as i've said I think it'll have a negative effect.

However, although I sing, I don't sing songs that I can't get passionate about as a Blade, particularly Dale Cavese.

I really hope that if you want to make a success out of this, that you sing songs that Blades can get passionate about rather than doing a Piggy Band and becoming an irritant.

Love the picture Linz, are we allowed to use it or not because of copyright.

You can see me on it! in front of them two people in white shirts in front of him in the lime green Capital One shirt. I'm in the black jacket!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom