Match Thread Sheffield United v. Wolverhampton Wanderers - 14th Sept 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
WOLV
WOLV
WOLV
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1599858740966.png v. 1599858748244.png
EPL Week 1 - Monday 14th September 2020 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.p...ffield-united-vs-wolverhampton-wanderers.509/

Officials:

Referee:
Mike Dean
Assistant Referee: Darren Cann
Assistant Referee: Mark Scholes
Fourth Official: Lee Mason
Video Assistant Referee: Graham Scott
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Derek Eaton

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

1599858891167.png

Taking the emotion and hyperbole out of it...there's a few things that need addressing. That has to be the least dynamic forward line in the PL. The 'pace and power' mandate was the right one this preseason but it's not been met. No creativity on display at all. Second half better but still didn't threaten and reverted to a few triangles out wide and then putting in a bad cross into a packed box.

Wolves are streets ahead of us. For those that cry '9th last season', that was built on an immensely solid defence, the issues going forward were there last season and thus far haven't been addressed. Realistically I don't see the defence being as strong, certainly not on tonight's evidence. To be fair JOC looked unfit.

This season's keeper is worse than last, we know why, but it is a fact.

Also, what was the point in signing Burke if he doesn't get on the pitch when we're so laboured upfront and desperate for a goal or a change. McGoldrick didn't cut it last season and won't this, in my opinion.

Still time to address the issues, let's hope we do.

agree with a lot of that but didzy was most peoples 2nd for POTS award and i doubt burke is going to be the answer, although he has pace he will need the service.

First 20 minutes we were cack.

After that we were better, second half we were good.

Berge was a breath of fresh air when he came on. Lundstram brainless at times, first goal stupid decision, and then in the second half stitched Norwood up by just seeing a bee or something and stopping dead letting the ball go to an advancing Wolves.

Delivery from set pieces provided by Hermes I think, absolutely dogshit.

Ramsdale shaky at the start, should have saved the second all day, but a great save second half.

JOC needs game time, looked a bit fucked. I'd play our starting back 3 and keeper against Burnley in the cup. They need time together.

Think people are being a bit harsh on Sharp personally, but I can see that him starting isn't ideal. Would've been nice to get a starting striker in before the season.

Reminded me a bit of that game against Boro where Egan had just joined and we were all over the place and let 3 goals in in half an hour or summat, lessons to be learnt and hopefully we'll be sharper in the next one.

Players unfit and players settling so plenty of scope for improvement. Wolves look very good. Think they'll be up there, I've watched all the games so far and I think Wolves are the best yet in terms of intensity and quality.

Get a striker in, get Berge on for Lundstram, get everyone fit, get at it.

Final ball from wide positions was terrible. Open play, corners and free kicks were either behind everyone, floated, blocked or passed backwards.

The one good ball and Mcburnie is unlucky not to score.

Same problem as last season can't beat the 1st man. We seem to want a second touch or take a second too long to cross, Steven's, Baldock and lundstram all guilty of that.
Norwood wasn't any better tonight as well.

One of my biggest frustrations watching that was with Baldock's crossing. Time after time he gets the ball fed in front of him out wide and he just seems to hesitate on playing the cross, giving the defender time to get back to him and get the block in.
I don’t think Lundstram’s lack of urgency helped him get in any good positions

Thought we looked like a rabbit in headlights for the first 10/15 minutes, after that looked decent. Norwood/Sharp my MOTM. Berge looked excellent, didn’t put a foot wrong - exciting times. Can’t wait for us to actually have some quality in the final third, it’s so frustrating because imo we were the better overall side.

Can I have some of whatever you have been smoking / drinking/ pill popping
We were dire first half a bit better second half, Wolves didnt have to get out of second gear
Norwood wasnt great thats why he got subbed or did you miss that

Much better second half but still all a bit laboured.
The commentary really hit the nail on the head when they said we are one of those teams totally missing the supporters.
The lack of atmosphere is definitely hitting our performances.

I was really impressed by Wolves though.
They are studded with World Class players.
Jimenez, Saiss and Traore pick of the bunch.

Much improved in the second half but gave ourselves no chance having let Wolves win the game in the first 10mins. We created a few good chances that we could've scored but it's often delivery that let's us down, not sure how we resolve this without new signings. Thought Berge looked really good when he came on.

Terrible start set the tone of the game but even then we need to be decisive if we are to focus on quality chances over quantity.

Fleck hit the post, Baldock’s rebound off the line, McBurnie header off the line, Sharp’s poor pass etc.

Disappointing as we are now 3 points down on last season already.

Much as I love Billy, when our recruitment is done, he can’t be starting. You just need more dynamism at this level. We got a bonus with McGoldrick but he is well into his 30s. Neither of these two can be starters.

At the end it felt like when we lost 0-3 to Wolves in the play off final. Plenty of huffing and puffing.

But let’s not lose sight of the fact Wolves just spent 35m on an unused sub!

agree with a lot of that but didzy was most peoples 2nd for POTS award and i doubt burke is going to be the answer, although he has pace he will need the service.
Maybe I was a bit harsh on McG, I just don't see him as the answer to our creative problems that's all. Just think he lacks a bit of pace and power, often moves just fizzle out. Picking him out isn't really fair though.

Re Burke, personally I've no idea what he will or won't offer, but my point was why sign a kid to play upfront with bundles of pace and then not use him when we were pretty desperate for just that?

Oh, and our defending of set-pieces was shocking. Flat footed, slow to react, players getting free far too easily.

Berge is the only one who did himself no harm there. Very lucky that wasn’t 3 or 4 before he came on.

I actially laughed at 'blooding the newcomers'. We're not Chelsea. We've signed 5 back-up players ànd are playing the same team as last season. 3 months. Lol.

So we do what?

A, Buy them and do not put them in the squad at all
B, Buy them & put them in the team after 1 week
C, Buy them & play them in the cowbo cup & bring them off the bench in the PL
D, Recognise they are 'back up' players who might challenge for the first team in 2-3 months.

Your move know all!

One of my biggest frustrations watching that was with Baldock's crossing. Time after time he gets the ball fed in front of him out wide and he just seems to hesitate on playing the cross, giving the defender time to get back to him and get the block in.
This has been a frustration of mine for the past 2 years now with Baldock. He is so frustrating... remember Danny Webber... ahhh Danny Webber he was class but a lot of the time did one too many step overs and lost the ball or got stuck in the corner. Baldock does exactly the same. Seen a few times over past couple of seasons. Players in the box expecting a cross or early cross (like Enda does well) are left hanging because he either wants to pass it all the way back or wants to take a player on... just one more step over should do it. And it either goes out for a goal kick or corner. Sometimes finds a player like McBurnie on a low floor cross. I wish we still had K Freeman... I know some will slate me for that. But I do know quite a lot of fans that prefered Freeman EVEN though Baldock rightly so took his place on merit at the time. Hell, even throw on one of these ex Derby lads.

Last edited:
I am sticking by my belief we have just played one of this seasons top 5. In which case I am not too worried as we caused them problems second half...

If we have just payed this seasons 10th best side then we might have a problem.

Can I have some of whatever you have been smoking / drinking/ pill popping
We were dire first half a bit better second half, Wolves didnt have to get out of second gear
Norwood wasnt great thats why he got subbed or did you miss that
😂 just how people see different games mate, thought Norwood was better than the back end of last year - he actually managed to get time on the ball and bar the annoying crosses hitting the first man and the sloppy pass to them 2nd half I didn’t think he was bad. But opinions are opinions, didn’t think we played bad at all against a side that’s aiming for top 6.

the most worrying thing for me was defending set pieces. Wolves could have easily had another two from corners.

Wolves look really silky BTW, we should be aspiring to play like this. So much technical ability on the ball, nice neat purposeful passing with pace and skill.
Only in patches.
But then all you'd need is a will to win tonight v us and you'd have the win.

Need more pace and creativity and someone that is not afraid to have a pop we are just too predictable and try and walk the ball in.

Would love to see us sign an attacking midfielder that is not afraid to run and have a pop because Lundstram and Norwood look clueless.

I thought when Berge came on he looked a class above them.

AdamSufc1997 Weve been linked to some good names but people moan they dont ‘run enough’ or arent ‘Sheffield united players’ with this mentality i think we will never change drastically.

They did it with David Cotterill all them.years ago Kazim Richards too both flair players that were not scared to have a go from anywhere.

Apart from the keeper and that is a major fuck up.

Berge first full season improves us, starting striker coming in to improve us hopefully.

Still got time in the window, think Prince would advance funds if we really need it.

First half was shit no doubt,2 bad goals to give up and just never looked like scoring.Second half much better and some better finishing could have snuck a draw.

Yes I do think a striker with some creativity and pace is well needed and I think we will get one.

Sucks to start season off with a loss,but we go on.

Some of the meltdown on here and Twitter is absolutely ridiculous.Big difference between being upset about the way we played and stepping out onto a cliff because of one damn game.

UTB

Most of our starting XI have played between 0 and 45 minutes together this preseason

Ramsdale - 45 against Dundee United before it got called off, new signing.
JOC - 0 minutes due to injury
Stevens, Egan, Fleck, McGoldrick - international duty and an injury for McG before he buggered off
McBurnie - had an injury and missed a lot of preseason

Window shuts on the 5th October, our new signings arrived a week ago.

Back
Top Bottom