Match Thread Sheffield United v. Stoke City - 16th October 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
STO
STO
STO
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1634330892909.png v. 1634330903801.png
Championship Week 12 - Saturday 16th October 2021 - 15:00 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-stoke-city.563/

Officials:

Referee:
Keith Stroud
Assistant Referee: Sam Lewis
Assistant Referee: Jonathan Hunt
Fourth Official: Benjamin Speedie

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

📺
Live TV Coverage
:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

They are part of the worst Irish team for 30 years though

How do you think we ever got an international playing for scruffy old us

You’re rather thick, aren’t you!

What a strange game

First half was fairly even until the final 10 when we should have scored.

Nice flowing attacking play from Gibbs-White, Ndiaye, Fleck and Norwood.

Second half felt subdued and when they scored they looked a completely different team.

McGoldrick making a huge difference when he came on and it shows how much more dangerous attacking is when you're playing first time balls. The first knocked the stuffing out of them and the second killed them.

Olsen - 6 - Not a great amount to do. You could argue that he needs to do better with pushing shots to safety and there was a hairy moment kicking out but generally solid.
Stevens - 6 - Thought he was poor first half. Made a lot of bad decisions but kept getting forward. Put a couple of decent balls in and assisted on our second.
Davies - 6 - Weird one. Does most things tidily but then looks a little bit casual at times.
Egan - 5.5 - Should have done better on their goal and looked too indecisive at times at the back. They cut through us far too easily
Bogle - 6 - I thought they had too much room down his side. Hardly got forward first half but much better during the second
Norwood - 6 - Looked lively going forward first half and pinged some great balls around but defensively he was suspect. Awful on their goal and once again gave the ball away badly. He wasn't really in it second half.
Fleck - 6.5 - Looked good first half and drive us forward several times. Dropped deeper with the changes during the second.
Osborn - 5.5 - Looked lively but made a number of bad decisions with final balls and got caught a few times.
Gibbs-White - 7 - Very lively first half but the final ball has just a little short. Had a number of chances and always looks lively.
Ndiaye - 7 - Works hard but makes some bad decisions and runs down blind alleys at times but never stops going. Faded quite badly before coming off.
Sharp - 6 - Didn't think it was his day today although played an important part in our first. Thought he wasn't strong enough on the ball and his best work was out wide.

Subs

Mousset - 5.5 - Sure, he scored, but I thought although he caused problems he lost the ball far too easily and was reckless trying to get it back. Looks far from fit.
McGoldrick - 8 - Changed the game. Came on and caused them problems from the off. Set up the first and scored the second. I suspect he's going to make most of his contributions from the bench but great player to have to come on.
Hourihane - 5 - I don't really see what he adds. He seems to be a less effected Norwood.

Slav - 7 - Odd game but his substitutions won it for us. We were the better team first half but still look so iffy when teams actually attack us. Good win in the end.

We played all the football, Stoke were physical and tried to out-muscle us (and it nearly came off). Bogle was excellent, offers much more than Furious George going forward.

Stoke's position in the table seemed to flatter them in the first half but they stepped on the gas when they came out in the second. Both teams scored against the run of play.

The subs made the difference in the end and I was pleasantly surprised we got the win.

Great to get the win, McG was the spark,although Ndiaye had a good game today before being subbed,and works so hard aswell as what he does on the ball.. Fair play to Stoke, they got the goal and didn't sit back, and for a while looked in control of the game, but great turnaround by us though.

We played all the football, Stoke were physical and tried to out-muscle us (and it nearly came off). Bogle was excellent, offers much more than Furious George going forward.
Would rather have George myself , there was a few time ndiaye and Mgw were waiting for someone to go past them to play the ball to them and no one did leaving them caught in possession

Would rather have George myself , there was a few time ndiaye and Mgw were waiting for someone to go past them to play the ball to them and no one did leaving them caught in possession
Bogle went forward less than Baldock has done (although that could be Bogle playing it safe and feeling his way back into the team)

But when he did he was 100X more threatening than Baldock imho.

I can see it now… mousset goes on an incredible goal scoring run. Gets to Christmas and we offer him a new contract. He rejects it and signs a pre-contract agreement with another club. Heart broken

I can see it now… mousset goes on an incredible goal scoring run. Gets to Christmas and we offer him a new contract. He rejects it and signs a pre-contract agreement with another club. Heart broken

I think it's a little more likely that he bags a couple of goals from the bench, gets a start, goes off injured after 15 minutes and isn't seen again until the Christmas party where he eats Fleck's haggis and Fleck decks him.

Massive win.

Superb first half.

Started second off the boil and got a bit raggy but got it back and deservedly won imho.

Just wish more of our fans would evolve and get some patience. If you can't enjoy some of this football I give up.

People panicking and shouting get rid as we dropped deeper keeping possession, sucked them in then bang bang bang and we're away.

If this manager doesn't get time to build something and more fans can't see what's happening then I fucking give up.

It was similar to the Bournemouth game for me, once the away side went in front, it was coming, and deserved.
So to concede/score 2 in 5 mins came out of the blue.
I never saw that coming today, Stoke had complete control of the game.

Massive win.

Superb first half.

Started second off the boil and got a bit raggy but got it back and deservedly won imho.

Just wish more of our fans would evolve and get some patience. If you can't enjoy some of this football I give up.

People panicking and shouting get rid as we dropped deeper keeping possession, sucked them in then bang bang bang and we're away.

If this manager doesn't get time to build something and more fans can't see what's happening then I fucking give up.
Slavs the man, should stick with him regardless.
Needs more transfer windows, as the squad is imbalanced, but swopping managers constantly brings more problems.

Slavs the man, should stick with him regardless.
Needs more transfer windows, as the squad is imbalanced, but swopping managers constantly brings more problems.
Totally agree.

I just despair at the amount of fans around me who are constantly finding fault with how we're trying to play.

I appreciate at nearly 50 I'm now at the point where I've seen enough percentage football that has limitations.

I want to see us play proper football the right way now and build something.

When I was younger I was win at all costs but I want us to persevere now and not go down the yoyo route of McCabe with every managerial change bringing a different style.

Totally agree.

I just despair at the amount of fans around me who are constantly finding fault with how we're trying to play.

I appreciate at nearly 50 I'm now at the point where I've seen enough percentage football that has limitations.

I want to see us play proper football the right way now and build something.

When I was younger I was win at all costs but I want us to persevere now and not go down the yoyo route of McCabe with every managerial change bringing a different style.
I'm the other side of 50...just.
Thought it was an impatient crowd today, this is the way Slav is going to play, get used to it.

The best forward and quite possibly the best footballer at the club is David McGoldrick.

He's tidy and I really like him. But he needs to contribute more goals and assists in the final third and be braver in his decision making. Too often he knits things together and glides about looking smooth but without an end product.

Today was great from him. Made the pass to Sharp and then busted a nut to progress it further.

Ha ha fkin ha , you were sat there poised to whinge and then two of the subs score 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I wasn’t sat there poised to whinge at all - I was full on whinging after 60 mins of toothless possession and 20 mins of shocking football after they scored. Thank fuck we then had 10 mins of quaility at the end to knick it.

Really enjoyed that today, aside from the comeback win it will stick long in the memory as the match my daughter really seemed to get into it. She’s had a season ticket for a few years now but being quite young she’s usually paid little attention to the match and needed bribing with sweets / chips to last the 90 mins. Today was her first match since the pandemic started and being that bit older she paid attention to what was going on and by the end was stood on her seat screaming with the best of them. Proud dad moment 🙂

Ref just shook Stoke manager’s hand warmly with plenty of bonhomie……
Should we be concerned…….??!
He was shocking,
Yes we exadurated some of the contact, but we were reacting to the fact that he was calling negligible contact from Stoke players, and then wasn't giving the same calls for us.
He was abysmal

The first 30 minutes were a bit boring but the last 15 mins of the 1st half we upped the tempo and deserved to be leading at half time.

Second half we were decent again looking the more likely to score.
Stoke scored against the run of play then they looked a good side and were comfortable for the next 20 minutes.

It looked like we‘d lose 0-1 and I said to my mate….even if we lose it’s been quite entertaining and we’ve played some nice football.

The turning point was the substitutions…..Mouset and McGoldrick looked up for it and really good when they came on.
We equalised against the run of play and quickly scored a second.
Overall we just about deserved to win.

Positives
Should be great for the team spirit/ belief/ confidence to win a game coming from behind
We again played some nice football, quick passing triangles on the floor.

Negatives
We over play it at times, too much passing, almost trying to walk the ball into the net
We look physically weak
We rarely look like keeping a clean sheet

He's tidy and I really like him. But he needs to contribute more goals and assists in the final third and be braver in his decision making. Too often he knits things together and glides about looking smooth but without an end product.

Today was great from him. Made the pass to Sharp and then busted a nut to progress it further.

*gut.

I still have no idea what Stoke were trying to do. They kept passing it around the back until it got to a fullback on the touchline who just lumped it up to our defence. I found it incredibly strange! They had much more physicality and yet they never really put many long balls to their attackers.

i thought it was going to be the same old story again, play fantastic, create some great chances. think how are we not winning. as for bad luck & world class saves we shouldve been out of sight in the latter part of the 1st half. so of course like huddersfield & we go 1-0 down. i would say best home game of the season & nothing short of what we deserved,

yes we didnt hit the heights after 1-0 down. but then didzy came on, as great as the finish to stay that cool under pressure was. to bury it. that magic flick from mcgoldrick was outstanding proving why he is multiple player of the year. on his day he has always been 1 of best players

stoke fans must be big fans of Tom Jones. as they love delilah. i was disapointed because looking forward to their versions of its not unusual, green green grass of home & sex bomb. but they were 1 hit wonders

It's all about staying in touch and then seeing what we can do in January for me. There'll be bumps in the road until then, but if Slav can get those last two players he wants in and we manage to keep MGW then we can have a crack at it.

Happy for Moose and Didzy today, great finishes from both, particularly impressed with Mousset's considering his time out.

Back
Top Bottom