Match Thread Sheffield United v. Reading - 15th April 2022

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
READ
READ
READ
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1649966577710.png V. 1649966585187.png
Championship Week 42 - Friday 15th April 2022 - 15:00 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-reading.593/

Officials:

Referee: Gavin Ward
Assistant Referee: James Wilson
Assistant Referee: Mark Dwyer
Fourth Official: Andrew Kitchen

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1649966676198.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2022-04-14 at 21.05.11.png

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Coming together nicely for Wilder’s Boro to beat us to the last Playoff spot, probably on the final day of the season in the last minute, knowing us.

Clear that they didn’t take reading seriously. They thought it’d be an easy 3pts and that they wouldn’t have to try very hard whereas reading just wanted it more and worked harder. Genuinely wouldn’t surprise me if they all went out on the piss last night. Shit

Well, that was garbage.

Wes - who had no chance with either goal - and Egan, the best of a poor back four who showed more of a good touch in the area than anyone else, are excused. Ndiaye too for a goal. The rest, bloody hell.

Ben Davies was culpable for both goals and missed a good chance at the death. He’s weak in the challenge and painfully slow. I think Robinson would do a better job and I don’t like Robinson. Uremovic, it turns out, fits right in offensively. He’s also slow to get forward and can’t pass.

If I read all that shite about how marvellous McBurnie is and how the goals are going to come from the Star and Nathan Hemingway again I will be displeased. 40 games without a goal. 40 games. First touch of a trampoline. Never in the right place. Mind you knowing him he will be out for the season now. What a joke he is.

Norwood was yet again set up too deep. Hourihane is a Norwood clone with better corners. Osborn doing the scrappy midget bit today. Slow. So slow. Readings 2 blocks of defenders seemed to totally bewilder them. Everything backwards. No urgency. No ideas beyond a hospital pass to MGW who was double marked. Berge did a bit better but it was tallest dwarf territory.

The wing backs were wretched (Baldock) or ineffective (Stevens).

MGW had an off day. Which meant we couldn’t win.

Jebbison does not look ready. We are cooked without Sharp.

Heckingbottom didn’t have a clue today.

We are still in this due to the incompetence of others but how can you have any faith in this lot?

Who I'm their right mind thinks it's a good idea to play Osbourn on the right? Nothing from Hourihane or Stevens on the left. George is past it 2 great opportunities and didnt even make the keeper make a save. McBurnie hardly got a.kick, Jebbo looks like a fish out of water and MGW gave it away too much. Still look very vulnerable to through balls and weak at set pieces.

Apart from that we were great, especially at passing sideways and backwards

Fellow bladesman…..Does anyone want baldock in this team? If you do can you justify why??

Well, that was garbage.

Wes - who had no chance with either goal - and Egan, the best of a poor back four who showed more of a good touch in the area than anyone else, are excused. Ndiaye too for a goal. The rest, bloody hell.

Ben Davies was culpable for both goals and missed a good chance at the death. He’s weak in the challenge and painfully slow. I think Robinson would do a better job and I don’t like Robinson. Uremovic, it turns out, fits right in offensively. He’s also slow to get forward and can’t pass.

If I read all that shite about how marvellous McBurnie is and how the goals are going to come from the Star and Nathan Hemingway again I will be displeased. 40 games without a goal. 40 games. First touch of a trampoline. Never in the right place. Mind you knowing him he will be out for the season now. What a joke he is.

Norwood was yet again set up too deep. Hourihane is a Norwood clone with better corners. Osborn doing the scrappy midget bit today. Slow. So slow. Readings 2 blocks of defenders seemed to totally bewilder them. Everything backwards. No urgency. No ideas beyond a hospital pass to MGW who was double marked. Berge did a bit better but it was tallest dwarf territory.

The wing backs were wretched (Baldock) or ineffective (Stevens).

MGW had an off day. Which meant we couldn’t win.

Jebbison does not look ready. We are cooked without Sharp.

Heckingbottom didn’t have a clue today.

We are still in this due to the incompetence of others but how can you have any faith in this lot?
Spot on there.

I’d have given Wes MoM because he was the only one who didn’t do something stupid all game.

Absolute toilet from the rest of them to a man, subs included apart from Ndiaye who actually managed to do what a striker needs to do and kick the ball into the goal.

Egan assisted a goal and then gave them a stupid free kick straight after or he’d have been the least worst starting outfield player.

Absolutely bereft of ideas against a team who came and sat in.

Spot on there.

I’d have given Wes MoM because he was the only one who didn’t do something stupid all game.

Absolute toilet from the rest of them to a man, subs included apart from Ndiaye who actually managed to do what a striker needs to do and kick the ball into the goal.

Egan assisted a goal and then gave them a stupid free kick straight after or he’d have been the least worst starting outfield player.

Absolutely bereft of ideas against a team who came and sat in.
Ah, I didn’t see who gave the free kick away!

I've had time to calm down and reflect on the game and I've come to the conclusion that our overpriced, overpaid and underperforming superstars made 4th from bottom Reading look like title contenders. How we are still in 6th place is beyond me. Team selection from the start was poor, midfield never really got hold of the game and didn't create anything for the forwards to feed off. Had to watch the match on SUTV, they kept saying the atmosphere wasa good, couldn't tell from that. What was it like actually at the ground?

Firstly, congratulations Reading - the best team won.

Perfect weather and a large crowd ready to roar the lads home and consolidate our playoff credentials in a routine home win against struggling opponents. What could possibly go wrong?

Welcome to another masterclass in passing sideways and backwards. Felt like a season ender. Home now to drown my sorrows in Easter egg.

So no humble pie for me today but this is where I sense the wheels have come off the season.

However, Hecky & Co have surprised me all season, so who knows, a victory at Bristol could put our destiny back in our own hands.

Would be painful if Wilder’s Boro deny us a play-off spot.

UTB

It was very much one of those games where if we score early, we win comfortably.
After the first 10 mins, it turned into a Slav type game. Passing around with zero creativity an zero invention.
Even at the very end before we equalised, we were fucking about in the corners instead of getting it into the box.
That said - our crossing was utterly woeful also.
Osborn had a brief resurgence on form since he came on against Forest but long term, he is so far off from being a top of the table player it’s untrue.
I take into account that we have Bogle, Billy, Bash, Brewster, didzy out but to say we are on the run in and needed some momentum, that was simply not good enough.
For all those calling for Jebbison to play, like he was the messiah just because he scored against Everton - well, you saw exactly why he hasn’t been in the side. He was like a lost puppy for the second half.

I have tried not to jump on the McBurnie bandwagon, but Jesus Christ he was fucking abysmal today. Can’t control an ball, can’t win a header outside his own box. Never looks close to getting a shot on target - let alone score a goal. Fuck off back up the motorway (in a taxi obvs) and stay there please.

the only positive from today was seeing Gunther steiner from Haas F1. decided to pay us a visit

20220415_160316.jpg

And here’s everything you could ever want to know about what it takes to finish sixth in the Championship…

5.-Championship-Play-Offs-18-19_190521_090117.png

Most points for a sixth-placed finish - Fulham 2016-17 (80 points)

Average points for a sixth-placed finish - 73.9 points

Fewest points for a sixth-placed finish - Leicester 2012-13 (68 points)

Fewest points for a sixth-placed finish and promotion secured - Blackpool 2009-10 (75 points)

No creativity whatsoever , slow , laboureref & safe , looked second to every ball , created 2 shots on target in 90 mins , if a neutral was watching today could they have pointed out the play off candidate vs the relegation threatened team ??
Good grief lads ..This is a piss poor Championship

i was absolutely fuming im still am frustrated now i normally learnt to take defeat well but i was running out the stadium today i dont know how i didnt leave as soon as 2nd went in .rather have lost 1-0 than 2-1 in that way because thats sums up the entire season or seasons since the pandemic restart. we are our own worst enemy. i dread to think how many points weve lost. due to gifting opposition soft goals from winning or drawing positions because we find it impossible to see out games. got to be 10pts minimum maybe realistically 15-20pts. how hard is it to concentrate for 20 secs after getting out of Jail make sure you clear that 1 ball. it was just a hopeful punt into the box. but we collapse constantly under the slightest pressure

as i said rather have lost 1-0 than 2-1. Because i wouldve been happier as 89 mins i was think. you cant question the effort. but like MGW v Bournemouth we didnt do right thing at the right time in the final third dreadful final balls & when we did have decent delivery like 31st min & 46th min we were terrified to shoot. but reading took their chances & organised well

Back
Top Bottom