Match Thread Sheffield United v. Manchester United - 21st October 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
MANU
MANU
MANU
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1697661040672.png vs. 1697661048774.png

Premier League Matchweek 9 - Saturday 21st October 2023 - 20:00 - Bramall Lane
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-manchester-united.665/

Officials:

Referee: Michael Oliver
Assistants: Lee Betts, Dan Cook
Fourth Official: Andy Davies
VAR: John Brooks
Assistant VAR: Akil Howson

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@s24su
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/s24su/

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 21.30.05.png

The moment Fulham got in premier league Norwood went. We think we can polish crap. He’s never been good enough at this level. But we are skint and can’t afford anything else.

Decent first half effort, yes McBurnie going off was unfortunate, Robbo & Trusty did well I thought, but once again Norwood was a passenger, shocking corners & free kicks, let mctominay get the better of him for the goal, gave away a free kick which they nearly scored from, and his waving of his arms is driving me mad!, why didn't he get subbed?, out of his depth at this level, awful!

Did alright. Not going toys out over tonight. Injuries destroying the slim chances we had.

We’ve lost to two bullshit goals! I thought we was good tonight. I’ll take that every week so long as we give everyone a game. The wins will come if we play with belief

Decent first half effort, yes McBurnie going off was unfortunate, Robbo & Trusty did well I thought, but once again Norwood was a passenger, shocking corners & free kicks, let mctominay get the better of him for the goal, gave away a free kick which they nearly scored from, and his waving of his arms is driving me mad!, why didn't he get subbed?, out of his depth at this level, awful!
Spot on.

Love the guy but he's been a liability tonight and should not have been near the fiest 11 this season.

Also knowing Mcburnie can't last more than 5 matches without getting injured we should have brought in Josh king or another target man instead of wasting the money on Luke Thomas.

Easy to say in hindsight I know.

Even worse than that, if he’d have taken it quickly down the line the other way it was Archer v. Maguire in a foot race.
Yep saw that, didn’t want to take a quick one forward incase we lost it so he thought fuck it a quick one back to Thomas and put him under a ton of pressure instead. Still don’t know who it was, Hamer?

We needed at least 10 players in with premier league or equivalent experience at the end of the season. We should have got rid of the likes of Osborn, Fleck and Lowe. Egan, Norwood etc should be on the bench at best. That’s the fault of the manager as we had (limited but some) money to spend.
Of those we brought in Davies looked good before his injury but wasn’t fit. Slimane wasn’t fit, Souza wasn’t fit, it’s inexcusable to bring in so many players that weren’t ready.
Positives in Trusty (but again wasn’t fit at the start of the season), McAtee is pure quality and must wonder what the fuck he has walked into, and McBurnie has been fairly good.
Other than that - we can’t pass the ball, we can’t trap the ball, we don’t win headers, we have no fight, we have no style of play, we have no urgency.
Clearly the game plan is to defend and keep it tight but the inevitable ALWAYS happens.
As much as I praise Hecky, it’s not good enough, performance on the whole really have not been good enough since about December last year and much of the blame lies at his door.
I have no idea who could replace him but after the play off semi v Forest, we have lost all of the intensity and desire which he brought when Slav left and he clearly has lost his bottle long ago.

That was better, particularly first half, but four things concerned me:

1) Archer was a passenger. Again. I've seen him four times since the Everton game and he's done fuck all four times. Bench him
2) We go behind and immediately sub off McAtee for Osborn of all people? Now I can occasionally understand such a sub in particular circumstances where having additional midfield presence allows the other attackers to have more freedom to do their job, but that wasn't one of them. Sure, McAtee wasn't doing much but this seemed bonkers in real time
3) If McBurnie has a knock then sub him at half time and don't waste a substitution window five minutes into the half. I'm not accepting "I'll give it a go for five minutes" either, if it is that marginal you can work it out at half time
4) This may be another one that is glossed over because "only one goal defeat" where if they had their shooting boots on, they score five

Positives. JLT and Trusty look like a proper defensive combo. McAtee actually looks like a half decent premier league midfielder. McBurnie and Archer linked well together.
Negatives. Full backs look awful. We don't look fit. We give the ball away far too easily.

We’ve lost to two bullshit goals! I thought we was good tonight. I’ll take that every week so long as we give everyone a game. The wins will come if we play with belief
First half good thanks mainly to OM

2nd half - awful against an awful Man U team

Hecky bought the players then sack him. Obviously not got a clue.
How do Brentford pick their players?

Hecky bought the players then sack him. Obviously not got a clue.
How do Brentford pick their players?

Using an analytics driven scouting system

Also Hecky didn't buy anyone fyi

The first half was one of our best performances this season (which isn't saying much), but the second half was as bad as anything we've seen. We barely mustered an attack against the worst Man Utd side we're ever likely to see at Bramall Lane.

I've been critical of Hecky because we've consistently looked awful lacking effort but tonight thought we were OK, just lacking top quality.

I'll take that......sounds daft but I feel more optimistic after watching that, altho 2nd half we lost confidence/ belief when their goal went in.
We were competitive, giving Man Utd a competitive game but just fell short. Think we were the better side 1st half.
At least we were respectable and tonights performance should be the minimum expectation every match.

i saying almost from the 1st 10 mins that i didnt know where this blades team has been the last 6 weeks. but im glad they've returned.

although that 1st goal was bloody typical like 2019 dejavu, absolutely dominant for the 1st half hour & they scored with their only attempt on goal. the pressure i think got to the players from hour mark 2nd half, as we struggled to keep possession when mcburnie went off. it was just mounting pressure

but im delighted the fight is back in them, i said this 6 weeks ago. if we can play like that. then we have a chance of survival. but we need to keep that level up. but the problem being since that we had Newcastle, West Ham & Fulham. we've not seen it since everton.

I noticed that after the game ten Hag didn't even shake Hecky's hand, just ignored him. He's a proper arrogant cunt and I hope he gets sacked.

Positives, we looked a lot better first half.

Negatives, we’ve had one shot on target from a pen. We can’t string three passes together. Man U’s finishing has been awful, if they took their chances it would be 4-1.
I saw Brewster have a shot on target in the 2nd half🥸

Back
Top Bottom