Match Thread Sheffield United v. Manchester City - 31st October 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
MANC
MANC
MANC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1603834862445.png v. 1603834866095.png
EPL Week 7 - Saturday 31st October 2020 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-manchester-city.515/

Officials:

Referee:
Michael Oliver
Assistant Referee: Stuart Burt
Assistant Referee: Simon Bennett
Fourth Official: Peter Bankes
Video Assistant Referee: Paul Tierney
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Andy Halliday

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

1603834984550.png

First half shite hoof, second half over playing it but more composed. Much prefered our second half approach but still NO goal threat. Again very worrying.

If we are using the wings we need to whip balls in ASAP when we get in position, not overplay it. I think the system/our mentality needs to change, we are way too defensive minded. We arent going to win games 0-0 especially against tough teams that will definitely score like city, liverpool etc. our defense is still very solid so nothing needs changing at the back.

mcburnie and brewster were bagging for fun at swansea so its not the fact they cant score - we arent playing to their strengths! Brewster looks woeful in the air so why are we pumping it long for flicks. Play it to a players feet, this is basics, we arent in league 1 anymore!

Another close scoreline to paper over the cracks of another gutless performance. The easy options taken all day long and wouldn’t have scored if we’d played for a week. Quality opposition but big players out and we never even attempted to turn the screw. Lundstram is costing points every game with appalling finishing and Baldock has lost all attacking intent / ability. Osborn championship quality and Ampadu completely out of sorts today. Brewster waits all game for a chance like that and then completely fluffs his lines. McBurnie adds to his only decent stat of winning more headers than anybody else but offers fuck all else.
The front two had no supply today. Midfield and wing backs very average

It's so fucking frustrating watching this fucking team at the moment, too much fucking around instead of getting the ball in the box, slow, predictable build up play that ends up going fucking backwards all the time.

This team has the capability of doing so much more, the times where a man actually took some bollocks to try and take someone on and open up the game we looked threatening, but all to often we have nobody willing to try drive past their man, they would rather play the safe pass backwards and sideways, meaning we are always defending against 11 men.

The great thing about this league is all it takes is a couple of wins and everything looks different, I trust Wilder more than I have ever trusted any manager before him to turn it around, but he needs to do something fast, we need to have some bollocks about us and not be afraid to try and take a man on, do something different like go through the middle instead of always trying to go out wide and get the overload, I mean fuck me what's it got to take to get an early fucking cross in 😐

Wasn't the worst performance, can't fault the effort against such a team as Man City, semi proud to see Walker score with an absolute sweet strike, I think we can still be fine, we just need to go out and take Chelsea apart again to kick start our season, though I just don't expect us too, it isn't out of our capability.

I’m trying to be level headed because we’ve just played one of the two best teams in the league. That said I am struggling to understand why we are so reluctant to cross the ball in. In the second half at least we managed to get into crossing positions on quite a few occasions but with a couple of exceptions failed to get it in. People on here will undoubtedly slag the strikers off but seriously what did we create for them? Things like that are where no crowd hampers again, if we had been there they’d have been getting pelters for it and I’m convinced would have changed.

But how long can it happen Chelsea next
Get in free transfers bring in a experienced centre forward midfielder but we look a championship side.
Lowe ramsdale Berge only players who look decent

Second half, half the Man City team could have retired to the touchline for tea and scones and they still wouldn't have conceded. We defended for them by being shite at finding teammates and passing it backwards.

First time in a long while I've been fucked right off with United.

Really frustrating.

Played the top two and lost by just a goal. From a goals conceded perspective, that's good, and could be important.

Frustrating that we didn't give it a go in the last 20 minutes.

Even more frustrating is watching Baldock (and Berge at times) piss about and not cross it. Just sling it in and see what happens on a wet pitch FFS.

If Wilders telling them to do this (and we have been guilty of this in previous seasons), then he needs to sort it out. Not point having £40,000,000 of talent up top if they don't get any service.

Let's get Chelsea out of the way and start the season then. I expect to see a big improvement after Chelsea and before Xmas. Wilder needs to show something in November and December, and discourage some of this tippy tappy stuff when we are good crossing positions.

Better second half because they totally took their foot off the gas. Had we scored they'd have just gone and got another.

Probably can't read too much into that given the quality of opposition but it can't be helping confidence. Don't know why we don't put it in more quickly when in a decent position, maybe that's down to confidence too? Scared to make a mistake. Brewster must be wondering what he's let himself in for.
If Brewster did anything to contribute then maybe we wouldn't be wondering what have we let ourselves in for.

Were you all lamenting us not launching it in the box when we were scoring off that type of situation last year?

That’s the problem, we weren’t exactly a great attacking side last season either. The big difference is we kept clean sheets.

Something has got to change, we can’t keep playing this defensive style of football anymore when it’s limiting our attacking play and we can’t keep a clean sheet.

A clean sheet at half time against Chelsea would be a massive boost it’s conceding in the first half which is draining away any hope of a result even going in level against Liverpool was such a clear boost

1604155215214.pngHow have we not dominated against these, they are nothing. Who even are they, not like they have got many good players or even compete at a high level.

No reason to panic before the game we would have accepted 0-1. We will prevail just lost to top two teams in Europe by an odd goal.Wilder will turn it round
Odd goal yes the real test is ganes after Chelsea scoring is a major issue brewster is very raw

Really frustrating.

Played the top two and lost by just a goal. From a goals conceded perspective, that's good, and could be important.

Frustrating that we didn't give it a go in the last 20 minutes.

Even more frustrating is watching Baldock (and Berge at times) piss about and not cross it. Just sling it in and see what happens on a wet pitch FFS.

If Wilders telling them to do this (and we have been guilty of this in previous seasons), then he needs to sort it out. Not point having £40,000,000 of talent up top if they don't get any service.

Let's get Chelsea out of the way and start the season then. I expect to see a big improvement after Chelsea and before Xmas. Wilder needs to show something in November and December, and discourage some of this tippy tappy stuff when we are good crossing positions.
Berge was quality

Imagine getting yourself into a rage at losing 1-0 to Man City. A frustrating watch but fuck me, some need to calm down, keep your powder dry for if we play this shit against Palace or Newcastle.

Their CBs on the bench cost what we’ve spent in the last 2 seasons.

View attachment 96588How have we not dominated against these, they are nothing. Who even are they, not like they have got many good players or even compete at a high level.
People arent asking for domination. They just want a few shots on target and maybe the odd cross into the box, maybe with a slight caution to the wind when we are 1-0 down with 5 minutes left.

People werent complaining against liverpool because we actually did the above

Only losing 1 nil isn't terrible, it is just so frustrating watching us pass it back when we have had 4 chances to cross it

We have to give Bogle a chance after today

Well that was boring. At least City got a light training session ahead of another European game. We offered nothing. We let them do what they wanted first half. Never touched them.

We were a better shape and made it harder for them second half but they still were largely comfortable. I thought the way we were set up first half was dreadful. We set up not to concede. It was so boring and felt like a matter of time until City scored. Better shape second half and we at least got on the ball (without City giving it to us) a few times. However, we looked toothless and devoid of confidence though. Going to be a long and turgid season unless we change our attitude and start attacking (or at least making it difficult) teams.

Ramsdale - 6.5 - Mixed. No chance with the goal and made a great headed clearance but also came charging out and didn't get near a ball again (and got away with it again). Weather conditions bad but handling has iffy first half as was some of his distribution. Much better second half but I think he needs to settle.
Lowe 5.5 - Got forward well but final ball lacking. Defensively, less good. Thought they got round both wingbacks far too easily first half.
Stevens - 6 - Mixed first half. I thought he made a couple of potentially bad errors and not always in the right positions. Again was easily beaten by a cross in the air first half. Needs to up his concentration levels as not there. Much better second half.
Egan - 6 - Very mixed. Made a couple of very important block and interceptions. Very good position and the best CB. He also had a couple of rash moments and gave away a couple of stupid free kicks outside the box. Got beaten yet again by a straight high ball.
Basham - 5.5 - Best defender first half. Second half shocking. 3 times he gave the ball away in dangerous positions. Some hairy lunges in as well. Looked all over the shop by the end. Looked very tired.
Baldock - 5 - Finally ball appalling. Got forward well a few times and we looked much more dangerous on the right. Messed most things up going forward and made to look stupid on numerous occasions at the back. One of his poorest games for us for a while.
Osborn - 4.5 - Won the ball back a few times but gave it away much more. Our left hand side was poor and he was much of the reason. He's still very inconsistent at this level.
Ampadu - 6 - Does a good job defensively but continues to give the ball away with sloppy passes. He nips in and gets the ball back but offers very little with distribution
Berge - 6.5 - By far and away our best attacking player. However, his final ball was often poor. Defensively, mixed. Got caught a couple of times and not always quick enough to react. MOM (just) for me.
McBurnie - 5.5 - He was ok first half. Had very little to work with but was a nuisance and closed them down. Second half much less effective but long balls up to him looked like our best way of getting forward.
Brewster - 4.5 - Did diddly squat first half. Didn't make much of an effort to close them down. Not really offering anything. Was slightly better second half but had nothing really to work with. The offside shot looked ponderous. I have no idea why he's starting games tbh. We need more than someone 'who can score' in games like this. McGoldrick or Burke would have been better options.

Lundstram - 5.5 - To be fair to the lad, we looked a lot better as an attacking force when he came on. He had our best and only chance. Made a complete hash of a couple of other things but offered much more in limited minutes going forward than Osborn.
Norwood - 6 - I thought we looked a much better shape with him on. He's not got Amapdu's legs but offers much more of a controlling and calming influence in midfield. We actually slowed it down a bit and stopped rushing.
McGoldrick - 4 - In a limited amount of time he passed the ball backwards and gave it away impressively. Awful cameo.

I don’t care who the team is, the only person to blame is CW. We’re setting up to defend with 11 men behind the ball at all times. It’s embarrassing to watch.

Take today for example, we’ve sat with every man behind the ball, and tried to hit them on the counter with McB up top (renowned for his lightning pace and skill) and Brewster who offers virtually nothing, his movement off the ball is horrendous.

Pissed me off no end seeing our strikers camped 30 yards out, get on the last man or we’re never gonna hit them on the fucking break. We’ve not got the pace, quality or intelligence to beat a man. Surely CW knows this. His jobs questionable. Pathetic today. 1 point out of 21.

Well that was boring. At least City got a light training session ahead of another European game. We offered nothing. We let them do what they wanted first half. Never touched them.

We were a better shape and made it harder for them second half but they still were largely comfortable. I thought the way we were set up first half was dreadful. We set up not to concede. It was so boring and felt like a matter of time until City scored. Better shape second half and we at least got on the ball (without City giving it to us) a few times. However, we looked toothless and devoid of confidence though. Going to be a long and turgid season unless we change our attitude and start attacking (or at least making it difficult) teams.

Ramsdale - 6.5 - Mixed. No chance with the goal and made a great headed clearance but also came charging out and didn't get near a ball again (and got away with it again). Weather conditions bad but handling has iffy first half as was some of his distribution. Much better second half but I think he needs to settle.
Lowe 5.5 - Got forward well but final ball lacking. Defensively, less good. Thought they got round both wingbacks far too easily first half.
Stevens - 6 - Mixed first half. I thought he made a couple of potentially bad errors and not always in the right positions. Again was easily beaten by a cross in the air first half. Needs to up his concentration levels as not there. Much better second half.
Egan - 6 - Very mixed. Made a couple of very important block and interceptions. Very good position and the best CB. He also had a couple of rash moments and gave away a couple of stupid free kicks outside the box. Got beaten yet again by a straight high ball.
Basham - 5.5 - Best defender first half. Second half shocking. 3 times he gave the ball away in dangerous positions. Some hairy lunges in as well. Looked all over the shop by the end. Looked very tired.
Baldock - 5 - Finally ball appalling. Got forward well a few times and we looked much more dangerous on the right. Messed most things up going forward and made to look stupid on numerous occasions at the back. One of his poorest games for us for a while.
Osborn - 4.5 - Won the ball back a few times but gave it away much more. Our left hand side was poor and he was much of the reason. He's still very inconsistent at this level.
Ampadu - 6 - Does a good job defensively but continues to give the ball away with sloppy passes. He nips in and gets the ball back but offers very little with distribution
Berge - 6.5 - By far and away our best attacking player. However, his final ball was often poor. Defensively, mixed. Got caught a couple of times and not always quick enough to react. MOM (just) for me.
McBurnie - 5.5 - He was ok first half. Had very little to work with but was a nuisance and closed them down. Second half much less effective but long balls up to him looked like our best way of getting forward.
Brewster - 4.5 - Did diddly squat first half. Didn't make much of an effort to close them down. Not really offering anything. Was slightly better second half but had nothing really to work with. The offside shot looked ponderous. I have no idea why he's starting games tbh. We need more than someone 'who can score' in games like this. McGoldrick or Burke would have been better options.

Lundstram - 5.5 - To be fair to the lad, we looked a lot better as an attacking force when he came on. He had our best and only chance. Made a complete hash of a couple of other things but offered much more in limited minutes going forward than Osborn.
Norwood - 6 - I thought we looked a much better shape with him on. He's not got Amapdu's legs but offers much more of a controlling and calming influence in midfield. We actually slowed it down a bit and stopped rushing.
McGoldrick - 4 - In a limited amount of time he passed the ball backwards and gave it away impressively. Awful cameo.
Predictably over negative. Almost as boring as our performance 😉

Reactions: SWB
Imagine getting yourself into a rage at losing 1-0 to Man City. A frustrating watch but fuck me, some need to calm down, keep your powder dry for if we play this shit against Palace or Newcastle.

Their CBs on the bench cost what we’ve spent in the last 2 seasons.
Have you not watched the last 10 games? This is not a knee jerk reaction after playing Liverpool and Citeh but a culmination of many performances / results.

I found today more frustrating and worrying than most before it because we never attempted to put ourselves in a position to get anything from the game. Incredibly negative and safe and should have been beaten by many more if they had their shooting boots on and had got out of 3rd gear in the second half.

We look completely devoid of confidence, belief, intent and creativity. Continue like this and there is only one way this season is going.

Its no good going out with the mindset of either keeping the score down or going in at half time one down all the time.

Attack Attack Attack

Why has it changed from the start of last leason

defensively we were outstanding especially when their is a long list of teams under that lost 5 6 7 & 8 goals. if this games proven anything. the people who criticized ramsdale are laughable. man city team chock full of quality, 2nd fav for CL & took a 30yd skidder to break us down.

but offensively we have to get better. these 9 attempts at a cross, only to lose it are frustrating & how dangerous we were when we got it in quicker. then that 1 on 1 compare that vardy 14 months we knew it was in from the moment he touched it. Brewster cant be judged yet. as it would be too harsh

its not beyond the realms we could have had something out of every game bar wolves. like dyche said this morning. many times he will look at analyics on Monday. theyve played well but "we lost because a team had 3 shots & scored 3"

i feel cant complain about liverpool or man city or chelsea. because we knew how vitally important fulham was. & fulham is what has killed us not these 3 games last 2 & upcoming 1

Back
Top Bottom